Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wee fuel stop by GVA rental return

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve seen from previous postings that the recommended refuel stop at GVA is the titchy petrol station next door to the rental return. But when I looked this morning to put it into the sat nav the info said it’s only open Monday to Friday, so we played safe and came off the autoroute a junction early and found a BP. But I did think I’d seen it’s unmanned, card only so works 24/7? Has anyone been recently “out of hours”?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We always went to the petrol station opposite the Crowne Plaza on Ave. Louis Casaï.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When driving a rental back to GVA from the Tarentaise I normally stop at Sévrier, halfway along Lake Annecy, and fill up in the SuperU fuel station. It's just under 50km from GVA and I fill up brim-full. It's way cheaper than the little garage next-door to the rental returns at GVA. Even though it's 50k to drive before the car is returned I've never had any problems with the fuel gauge reading less than full, digital or analogue gauges.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rob@rar, I always was (even while living there) under the impression that petrol (not diesel) was generally cheaper in CH than FR.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy from embsay wrote:
I’ve seen from previous postings that the recommended refuel stop at GVA is the titchy petrol station next door to the rental return. But when I looked this morning to put it into the sat nav the info said it’s only open Monday to Friday, so we played safe and came off the autoroute a junction early and found a BP. But I did think I’d seen it’s unmanned, card only so works 24/7? Has anyone been recently “out of hours”?

I stopped there on a Sunday this season and didn't have any issue (although was before 2200). Hope that helps!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@rob@rar, I always was (even while living there) under the impression that petrol (not diesel) was generally cheaper in CH than FR.
When I've checked the SuperU prices were cheaper than the little filling station at GVA, although I don't check every time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Carrefour in Ferney is closest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also beware: there can be a queue there - although it's a bit unpredictable. We returned a car on Thursday 11 March, late afternoon, and fortunately, I'd decided to fill-up en route outside Geneva: there were at least eight cars waiting. Personally, I always aim to fill-up outside GVA and keep this as a fall-back option. Most car fuel gauges wont' come off 'F' for at least 20kms.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

For some reason I usually use the Total station just over the border. It is more difficult to use and more expensive. I have no idea why I do that except I'm usually in a hurry to return the car.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

For some reason I usually use the Total station just over the border. It is more difficult to use and more expensive. I have no idea why I do that except I'm usually in a hurry to return the car.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valdorange wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

I stopped there on a Sunday this season and didn't have any issue (although was before 2200). Hope that helps!

Cheers - and good tip on the queue!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy from embsay wrote:
If it's saying it's only open Monday to Friday, I didn't know there was even a payment booth there. It's had a 24/7 card only payment machine for years which I've used many times but I didn't go through there last season. Be aware it will likely not take a UK debit card, only an international Credit Card or local debit card.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

cheaper than the little filling station at GVA

This I can believe. Our references were the Migrol near the house vs Intermarche just over the border. And formed in 2006 so possibly in need of updating.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just buy a couple of litre bottles of cheap water, stop outside the hire place and pour it in. Fuel tank shows full. Happy days. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@andy from embsay, check out filling it up while you're using it during hire time, if you fill it right up I doubt the fuel gauge will move from the top within 20 to 30 miles, and range predictive readout will essentially show full tank. Unless you properly cane it Toofy Grin

You've then got a much more relaxed time/ distance frame to make sure you comply in filling before returning.
snow conditions
Yeah, i think you’re probably right. Ideally a service area on the motorway from Morzine - though didn’t see one between the valée verte junction and the airport?
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
Just buy a couple of litre bottles of cheap water, stop outside the hire place and pour it in. Fuel tank shows full. Happy days. Toofy Grin

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
We've often used the road from Taninges toward Fillinges D908 I think, heading toward Geneva with quite a choice of fuel stops, intermarchè included alongside that route.
latest report
ski3 wrote:
We've often used the road from Taninges toward Fillinges D908 I think, heading toward Geneva with quite a choice of fuel stops, intermarchè included alongside that route.

I think that’s the way we came today but I was really only looking for fuel once we got on the A40 - and I don’t think there’s a services (there’s the Aire at Salève, but no fuel?) before you hit Geneva?

TBH the price isn’t that important - we did a lot of running about this week and still only used about 30L.
latest report
Avenue Louis Casei for us. Adds literally 2 minutes to the journey (or nothing if you were coming that way from the lake). Choice of about 4 filling stations.
latest report
As above , more choice and never any queues.
snow report
We used the BP on Route de Ferney, which is just a quick drive past the airport, then loop back to car hire returns - though time-wise we were also considering just dropping the car and running for flights (why when you tell your friends you need to set off at 8:30/9:00 do they feck around so you don't set off till 10:15?).
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:

I think it's always open. It is - as you say - unmanned.
It is a bit more expensive but the other thing to watch for is if you are cutting it tight at busy times - can be a bit jammed up with people working out how to use the card payment system!
I tend to fill up on the way back (a bit like Rob suggests but at a different station on the autoroute. I'd say it is about 35km from GVA and that has always been fine although last time I was told that the tank was a little low but they would waive the fee.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
We used the BP on Route de Ferney, which is just a quick drive past the airport, then loop back to car hire returns - though time-wise we were also considering just dropping the car and running for flights (why when you tell your friends you need to set off at 8:30/9:00 do they feck around so you don't set off till 10:15?).

Can you turn left out of the BP? We went to a BP just off J4 (Route de Vernier?) but couldn’t turn left so had to go about a mile and a half through some interminably slow Geneva-special traffic lights! For the Route de Ferney do you come off as per the airport and then take a right before you go back over the motorway? Then can you turn left after you’ve filled up? Ta
snow conditions
Umm, I think (between the time stress, the realization that we had one of the children from the other car and that if they were much later I'd be the one missing my flight to wait with her, and the fact I just shoved it in the Satnav) that we came in past the lake, then straight past the airport on the A1. Come off after Palexpo and double back on yourself up to the station. Post fill-up it was carry on along Route de Ferney, generally parallel back past the airport till we turned right, down and over the A1, and to car hire returns.

The other car caught up with us at the BP, arriving just as we were done paying and our flights were delayed anyway so no abandoned children Very Happy
ski holidays
If we're early, I'll drop the passengers off at the 'Kiss & Fly' zone (with my luggage) which is a bit less hassle for them and the driver. There's a certain psychological advantage: the return process seems much calmer - you can concentrate on the dialogue with the rental person, more easily notice something left behind, and it's a quicker/easier walk back without luggage.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
If we're early, I'll drop the passengers off at the 'Kiss & Fly' zone (with my luggage) which is a bit less hassle for them and the driver. There's a certain psychological advantage: the return process seems much calmer - you can concentrate on the dialogue with the rental person, more easily notice something left behind, and it's a quicker/easier walk back without luggage.

Top idea. Will appropriate.
ski holidays
Do they have a free pick-up area too?

Can't help thinking it would be easier on arrival to leave everyone/all bar a couple of carry bags in arrivals and just sending driver to queue/ride the bus (or even walk) to the car. A quick message to "drink up" when you get to the garage and a "head outside" when you're ready to drive off and by the time you've driven around they (depending on the competence of your friend of course) should be outside, ready to throw bags and bodies in and hit the road.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, Don't think there is any official free area, but I have sometimes arranged to meet people at the GVA garage......hang around in a back street until they phone to say they’re out and walking....
snow conditions
@Mjit, there is https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3379658&highlight=ticket#3379658
latest report
We returned to Geneva airport yesterday afternoon and I noted some of the diesel prices on the way back down.

Super U Bourg St Maurice 1.21€
Le Cleric Aime 1.22€
Carrefour Ugine 1.31€
Geneva Airport 1.53 € (Converted from CHF)

We filled up at Aime then a top up at the airport.
latest report
@muppet, As a comparison it is 1.22€ at the Carrefour in Ferniey-Voltaire about a km from the aiport access road.
latest report
It's worth thinking about the opportunity cost of your time, on a journey which can be quite stressful, before you go off your route to save a few euros on fuel.
snow report
We usually head for the Route de Vernier which is just before the airport. There, there are many oil storage tanks and several very reasonably priced petrol stations nearby:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=46.21485&mlon=6.10131#map=18/46.21485/6.10131

The one on Chemin Jacques Philbert de Sauvage is often cheapest.
snow report
Its a 24/7 card machine. Unattended.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy