Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italian homes evacuated over risk of Mont Blanc glacier collapse

Poster: A snowHead
Homes have been evacuated in Courmayeur in Italy’s Aosta valley, after a renewed warning that a huge portion of a Mont Blanc glacier is at risk of collapse.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hovers over link
see its the propaganda media that gets things wrong
dont bother to click on clickbait
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr.Egg wrote:
hovers over link

Homes have been evacuated and roads closed, so how is it "clickbait"? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe Mr Egg has an automatic reflex to reject any news that's in the Guardian.... Laughing
For his benefit here's a non Guardian report with the same news. Madeye-Smiley https://phys.org/news/2020-08-italians-evacuated-falling-mont-blanc.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's on BBC news too, But the Eggy Person no doubt thinks that's a hotbed of propaganda too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
It's on BBC news too, But the Eggy Person no doubt thinks that's a hotbed of propaganda too.

Here's an earlier story from last year about the dangers of part of the Mont Blanc glacier collapsing from Fox News, maybe that's more to the Eggy Person's taste.... Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 7-08-20 8:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:

Perhaps "believes" would be a better fit for that one. I guess "science" made him feel thick at school and still does.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For once I agree with the Egg!. Storm in a teacup - this area has been under the same warning at the same time of year fo rthe last few years - only a handfull of residents are affected. It's bigger news because access to a golf course is now affected! The tour du Mont Blanc footpath is safely 600m up the other side of the valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Didn't they evacuate it last year too? Did it collapse in the end?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've noticed that when one is responsible for the safety of others, the standards can be higher, and can seem excessive to some....especially those who've never seen or choose to ignore what a real avalanche can do. Hmmm, the same warning and the same time of year, imagine that! Sounds like maybe the mean it. (I'll concede that the decision-makers need to consider The Boy Who Cried Wolf as they make their safety plans).

We are living in a world (and I most certainly am living in a country) where the stupid and selfish ignorance of reasonable safety advice by some people is costing lives and taxing the healthcare system. They should all be lined up in the valley below this dying glacier, sans masks!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oleski wrote:
Didn't they evacuate it last year too? Did it collapse in the end?

Yes, No
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig wrote:
pam w wrote:

Perhaps "believes" would be a better fit for that one. I guess "science" made him feel thick at school and still does.

The same "believe" that the corona virus is a "hoax".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, lets see if the glacier presents a robust 500,000 cubic meter rebuttal. They have issues the warning 6 weeks earlier this year with twice the volume at risk of falling...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
For once I agree with the Egg!.
ie refuse to click on an article because it's from The Guardian Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So for example consider a situation where the scientists estimate that there's a small but significant (say 10%) chance of a chunk of the glacier breaking away and sliding down the mountain. It probably won't, but if it were to then there might well be fatalities. In which event people would be complaining that the area at risk wasn't evacuated.
ski holidays
Last year a dam above the town of Whaley Bridge was in a critical state. They evacuated the people living below the dam. The dam held and no houses were damaged. I still think they were correct to order the evacuation.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
hovers over link

It's a perfectly reasonable (and interesting, if short) article.

FWIW: Back in the days when I as a single bloke living in Air Force Offcers' Messes I appreciated the whole gamut of mainstream newspapers laid out to read (OK they didn't have the Morning Star!). A wide perspective of not only the news but also others' views kept us balanced - and still does.
ski holidays
Rabbie wrote:
Last year a dam above the town of Whaley Bridge was in a critical state. They evacuated the people living below the dam. The dam held and no houses were damaged. I still think they were correct to order the evacuation.

Absolutely.
ski holidays
They're dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.
ski holidays
A good discussion by Tim Harford on his "Cautionary Tales" pcast that it is reasonable to think that more lives were lost by the precautionary actions, evacuations, etc., in case of radiation risk after Fukushima than by any radiation based illnesses...
latest report
Wasn't it Italy where they jailed some seismologists for failing to predict an earthquake? IIRC they were released after an appeal, but it's likely to colour the views of those responsible.

There was an updated on Whaley Bridge on the local telly last week. Initial stabilisation is complete but much more work to do. Water levels being kept deliberately low.
latest report
pam w wrote:
They're dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

Boom, tish Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@pam w, indeed. The line now forms for those who condemn these people to take their place and see how they do! (no one is scrambling for the line, what a surprise!)

@under a new name, let's not minimize the very significant difference between taking precautions prior to a disaster vs. failing to do so and then having to recoverer from one. The former is orderly, the latter...well, you brought up Fukushima. They were not prepared, so then you just have to wing it, like they did. Including freezing the ground....hmmm...maybe they should share their system with the folks whose glacier is melting!
ski holidays
Talking of the Whaley Bridge dam this came up on my newsfeed this morning: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53693419
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
hovers over link

Low grade bait, Eggy, but you've reeled a few in nethertheless
ski holidays
Here's a video of part of a much smaller alpine glacier collapsing just a few days ago.... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1695171603982215&id=593271704172216
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy