Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pronunciation of ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
@RobinS, Anyone know how to pronounce the Swiss place Château d'Œx? I haven't got a clue.

It's "Doh!". Homer Simpson stylee Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a mate who regularly visits the Alps on cycling trips. He tells us all the climbs they've bone and where they stayed... but it's remains a mystery where he's been as his pronunciations are so bad.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Golly - I missed all that! Turn your back for a moment and the pedants emerge from their lockdown hiding places. I shall just add that there certainly are (pace Whitegold) French people who ski in Shamoneecks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Though possibly some of them are Belgians.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Asterix and Obelix certainly had their “x’s” pronounced, so why not Chamonix?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It really hurts my ears to hear people say Lez Gets.....Orange200 is correct with 'Ley Jay' of course

As for Avoriaz.... generally only the foreigners pronounce the z, which is perfectly fine, but my kid informs me with 100% confidence that it's called Avoria locally
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
'Mirabel' is always irritating.

@polo,
Quote:

As for Avoriaz.... generally only the foreigners pronounce the z, which is perfectly fine, but my kid informs me with 100% confidence that it's called Avoria locally

I agree. Nobody in their right mind would start talking about Les Carozzz, so why would the final 'z' of Avoriaz be pronounced?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Le Grand Bornand Le grand bor-non

That's OK as long you aren't pronouncing the 'd' in 'Grand'. I'd write it as 'Le Gron Bor-non'

Quote:
Valmeinier Val-men-e-a

No, I don't think so. It should be more like 'Val-men-yeay' and should not rhyme with California.

Quote:
Serre Chevalier Sair Chev-al-ee-ayz

Don't agree with the final 'z'
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@foxtrotzulu, yep, those crazy people with their funny accents......it's a bit of a moot point in any case because if you weren't brought up here it's very hard to get the accent right. Even with the knowledge that the z is not pronounced in les Carroz, you need special tongue and throat acrobatics to pronounce the 'Carr' part correctly. You can tell immediately if someone is native or not.

I am not, and despite owning a place here, it has not made any difference to my hideous french accent. Especially when you are cold on the top of the mountain and try to simply ask for "un verre de vin rouge"....nothing resembling french seems to come out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you talking about the language, or what they pour you? Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Orange200 wrote:
Are you talking about the language, or what they pour you? Wink
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo,
Quote:

it's a bit of a moot point in any case because if you weren't brought up here it's very hard to get the accent right. Even with the knowledge that the z is not pronounced in les Carroz, you need special tongue and throat acrobatics to pronounce the 'Carr' part correctly. You can tell immediately if someone is native or not.
Very true Very Happy However, I think there's quite a big gap between trying and failing to get it exactly right and the British approach which is not even to try at all. I do cringe when I hear Brits talking about CourcheVAL, Mirabel, Val Torennes, Val Claret (like the wine) etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I'm in Finland then I pronounce "sauna" the way the Fins pronounce it, because that's what will be understood.
On the other hand if I say it that way in the UK then it's weird, or possibly pretentious.

If you're going to Ylläs then if you don't know the pronunciation rules you'll need to write it down, but Fins would not "cringe" or be unhelpful about it.

My Canadian accent is coming along nicely, something which those who cringe about English
accented French would also probably cringe about, although as usual the locals don't care. => I think it's an English snob thing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone want to help with Saint Jean d'Aulps?

As for Avoriaz. I've never heard the French use the Z.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have a Frejus (Frayjoo) gondola here in Serre Chevalier (no Z on the end of Chevalier btw), but Frejus on the Med is Frayjoos apparently, it's a local thing.
Also have some friends living in Mas de Blais here which they assure me is Maz de Blay locally........
snow report
paddyDT wrote:
Anyone want to help with Saint Jean d'Aulps?

San Jon doh
snow conditions
After staying a night in Troyes on several occasions, a restaurant owner took a great efforts (and many drinks) to teach us how to pronounce it. Now if anybody would like to explain how you get Twa (he was insistent it was a hard a not ah) from Troyes...
snow report
Same way you get it from Trois.
latest report
We warm up beforehand at start of ski trip by travelling from "Land jun" along with living "Sarf" of the river .

Cycle through Kingston, which is flanked by Surbiton (south by town) and Norbiton (north by town) I was schooled by a local.

Amusingly my last teacher of French was a petite Mademoiselle originating from Normandy, of which I'm nothing like. But amusingly in speaking french in Normandy was told I had a local accent, and they knew I'm not native French. She got us to do alot of mimicking her during classes.

It's always interesting to listen for and try to pronounce as they do when visiting, just seems right to acknowledge their interest and time in helping me with their language.
ski holidays
Quote:

After staying a night in Troyes on several occasions, a restaurant owner took a great efforts (and many drinks) to teach us how to pronounce it. Now if anybody would like to explain how you get Twa (he was insistent it was a hard a not ah) from Troyes...

Was he a Fwenchman who couldn't pronounce his "rrrrs"?
snow conditions
@ski3, my French teacher was from Besançon and insisted we speak French like we were imitating a French person...for real not Allo Allo style
snow report
@holidayloverxx, so was I. In my head I think I sound like the Anglo French Silly Walk guys in the Python sketch.
snow conditions
It may be considered a romantic language, but the fact, as we have established here, is that even the bloody French don't know how to pronounce their place names.
snow conditions
How about Orelle, I always thought the 'll' makes it [Orei], but no - locals say [Orel]
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
It may be considered a romantic language, but the fact, as we have established here, is that even the bloody French don't know how to pronounce their place names.

Plenty of places in the UK that are confusing too.
Stroud, gillingham, etc
snow report
Bosham
ski holidays
Belvoir anyone?
snow conditions
Frome
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trotiscliffe anyone?
snow report
The one in Kent? That's an easy one, especially as the Country Park is spelled the way it's pronounced rather than the spelling of the place.
snow conditions
Llandaff. It's in Wales - obviously - and I grew up within a couple of miles. My Uncle Dennis lived there. Everybody locally called it Landuf - stress on the first syllable - no tricksy Welsh pronunication needed, though anyone from Welsh Wales would have pronounced it correctly - with the tricksy Ll and (I think) equal stress on each syllable.
ski holidays
Slaithwaite, always tells you how local a reporter is to Yorkshire.
snow conditions
I guess a lot of this is down to local accents and pronunciation rather than the grammatical rules of pronunciation. I was listening to some of the reports from Jack Charlton's funeral yesterday. Hardly any of the locals interviewed pronounced the ing in Ashington and the o as a u this making the town's name Ashtun.
snow report
@halfhand,
Quote:

and the o as a u this making the town's name Ashtun.

The 'o' as a 'u' makes good sense to me, otherwise we'd be talking about Lonn-donn and all sorts of weird things.

I can never get my head around the way people have started to mispronounce (IMHO) places like Ascot and Didcot. With a single 't' the vowel should be very short and sound like Asc't or Didc't. If it had two 't's then their pronunciation would make more sense. Some of the people who live there have even started to adopt this new pronunciation.
snow conditions
In our cycling club Dolgellau will forever be Dongly-doogly after one if our members failed to get it right on club weekend near there. Laughing
snow conditions
due to predictive text we call Flachauwinkl "F*ckywinky"
snow report
Quote:

the grammatical rules of pronunciation

Puzzled Is there any such thing in Inglish? If so, what is the grammatical rule for pronouncing "oo".

Book, flood, floor, pool ...... you get my drift.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
'Mirabel' is always irritating.

@polo,
Quote:

I agree. Nobody in their right mind would start talking about Les Carozzz, so why would the final 'z' of Avoriaz be pronounced?

The Southern French pronounce the Z I believe. They say Chamonicks, Avoriaz, Alpe d'Huez. The latter we all pronounce with the Z but this may be as it is a little further south???
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Belvoir anyone?

Yes, being from Leicestershire locally we have:

Belvoir - Beaver
Coalville - Co-vill
Beachamp - Beacham
Conduit - Condutt
Kibworth - Kibbuth
Rothwell - Roal (it's in Northants but close enough)
Kegworth - Kegguth
Groby - Grewbee
Rothley - Row-thlee
Whitwick - Wittick
Heather - Hee-thur

Further afield Bolsover - Bosohver and Uttoxeter is Utchiter, Worksop is Worksoh I believe?
latest report
Woolfardisworthy Very Happy

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as correct pronunciation, any more than any god is the right one. Pronunciation is how you pronounce it, which is determined by where you come from, both physically and culturally.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy