Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pronunciation of ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

For Saint-Foy I have always said San-Fwa

Not quite. The T is not silent as it's followed by an e (feminine version). So it's "SanT Fwa".

On the other hand "Boorg San Mor-ees" would be correct.

At least as much as anglified phonetics allows!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Longeey Foy near La Plang always makes me smile ...

Lonj-fwa.

There are two in the valley, the other is near Séez (Say). I live in the Séez one. Occasionally have to hunt down my post in the other one. Memorably had to pay to have one of my company registration documents changed to correctly list the Séez one, rather than Aime. Because obviously it was much more likely that I had forgotten where I live and had given them the wrong information rather than them making a mistake....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

On the other hand "Boorg San Mor-ees" would be correct.

At least as much as anglified phonetics allows!

I always struggle with that "g" at the end of Bourg - pronounced as a very slight gutteral sound, like the "ch" in Loch Lomond, but much slighter. Hardly there.

But not as much as I struggle with Brits who just say "Bourg" as though there were only one of them in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle wrote:
@RobinS, I've often heard it pronounced like that too, but I don't. Go figure. Anyone know how to pronounce the Swiss place Château d'Œx? I haven't got a clue.

When I was there, Deau, like water eau.

Anyone for Annecy or Samoens please?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ann-Eh-See
Sam-O-An
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevomcd wrote:
Ann-Eh-See

Ann-si

Or what ever 'cy' translates too, but no sounds in the middle
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes - two often syllables, normally. But can be three. Or two and a half. A place called Hauteluce, near Les Saisies, pronounced generally Oatloose ( though that doesn't do justice to the vowels......) was decisely three-syllabled by my French (but not immediately local) neighbour - Oat-er-loose. A linkering on the first "t".

And I always prounced Samoens to rhyme with "prend". But I never asked anyone local about that - though I did about Troyes, first time I ever stopped there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oleski wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
Ann-Eh-See

Ann-si

Or what ever 'cy' translates too, but no sounds in the middle

I was told "Onn si", which kind of makes sense thinking of Anjou.
Guy I know with a property in Samoens pronounces it "sam juan (or whan)"

Borovets i don`t have a polite pronunciation for.
Only resort I`ve seen prostitutes working the bars; and I`ve skiied in Nevada.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Oleski, disagree, there's a sound in the middle. It's often dropped, including by locals, but for me that's lazy pronunciation and there should be a slight sound in the middle.

@Jameswp, agree on Samoens, the oh and an sounds are somewhat elided so "juan" is as good a phonetic description as any.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
An American friend who studies French religiously had his pronunciation of something corrected by a Frenchman, who then proceeded to mis-pronounce the same word in the same way as my friend, to someone else!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and what about the English "controversy". I put the stress on the first syllable but a lot of people stress the "trov". There's probably no single "correct" way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the grammatical rules of pronunciation

Puzzled Is there any such thing in Inglish? If so, what is the grammatical rule for pronouncing "oo".

Book, flood, floor, pool ...... you get my drift.

Probably not and maybe I mean convention rather than grammatical rule. My head hurts now I'm going to get ready for the footy Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arthritis, know several people who say Arthur itus
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes, I've heard Arthur Itis too. Often goes along with prostrate cancer.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lets see you try some New Zealand place names

Whakapapa, Oamaru, Kawarau
snow report
oomaroo? (can't do those tortured vowels though.....)
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge wrote:
Lets see you try some New Zealand place names

Whakapapa, Oamaru, Kawarau

Fook-a-papa?
snow report
robs1 wrote:
Arthritis, know several people who say Arthur itus

I'll take your Arthur itus and raise it with Ather leet.

Shall we do 'Mericans too with their aloo min um and O regg a no. And they use the inner net and visit yurp.
snow conditions
Dearest creature in creation....
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Dearest creature in creation....

Yes, apparently English is a very hard language to learn.

As an Englishman, I must say I have found all other languages harder Cool
ski holidays
Triatherlon........
snow report
@pam w, O a ma ru

@T Bar, Ffuk a papa
ski holidays
@Sarge McSarge,
Thanks is that a double ff as in Ffoulkes and if so how do you pronounce it?
snow report
Kind of half way between ff and fa
ski holidays
Quote:

'Mericans too with their aloo min um and O regg a no. And they use the inner net and visit yurp

Let's call this whole thing off......
latest report
Anyone know how to pronounce the Swiss ski resort of Nax? The town of Bex, not too far away, is I believe pronounced Bey so on that basis would Nax be Naaa, or maybe Nay? I've been skiing in Nax several times (great small resort by the way) but before I go back the next time it would be nice to know how to pronounce the name of the place!
latest report
When I stopped at Gex, in the Jura, I asked - the answer was G as in (French) George and "ex" as written. ecks. But those places might be different, of course and the x in Auxonne is, as far as I know, pronounced as Z. The best thing is just to ask! Breaks the ice.
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu,
I've seen it written (by a seasonaire!) as "Marybel"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, what about Seix in the foothills of the Pyrenees, I believe it is pronounced Sex and the inhabitants are Seixois, pronounced sexy.

Meanwhile not much argument over the pronunciation of the French village of Condom (shocking in a predominantly Catholic country wink )
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Not to mention Bath which the southern Brits pronounce Baaaaarth

Has the city of Bath moved since I was young? It always USED to be in southern Britain and as locals we always call it Baff.

Exept if you are a Bristolian - then it's B**f
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
yes, I've heard Arthur Itis too. Often goes along with prostrate cancer.

I got a positive diagnosis for that. Before he broke the news, the doc asked me to lie down first.
snow conditions
Not sure about pronunciation but I've seen a few weird spellings...
https://www.skipedia.co.uk/2017/02/most-difficult-ski-resort-to-spell/
ski holidays
FWIW IMHO... Avoria, La Cluser, La Gi-etter, Val Tor-ence, Pra, Antsy, Chateau Day.

La Bellecombaise (belle qu'on baise) de Notre Dame de Bellecombe.

Aloss Corton

Hexasote! (Et que ça saute!)

Grinnidge.
snow conditions
Sweden:
Even if you pronounce it 99% correct they will look at you in total confusion until you repeat it about three times in the context of skiing. Then they will say it back to you in exactly the same way with just with more of a Swedish accent.
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
... Shall we do 'Mericans too with their aloo min um and ...
No.

The American word is spelt and pronounced differently from the English word.
As often is the case American usage actually comes from English before the English language changed:
https://www.etymonline.com/word/aluminum
That doesn't dictate how you say stuff, but if you're in the US the American word is the logical choice.

--
I like French Canadians a lot. Their form of French is much easier to understand and speak, although I believe
it's laughable to French people.

"Drawing" is an English word with at least two distinct pronunciations, one which reflects the spelling,
the other which sounds like "draw-ring".

But then my own home town has different pronunciations depending on where you live over distances as
small as 10 miles. They're all correct, of course.

The Finns are good on pronunciation: it's said as it's spelt, the rules are consistent and easy,
and there's no problem with weird accents. It's one non-English-speaking place where I can pass as
a local so long as I don't attempt any verbs.
ski holidays
Quote:

"Drawing" is an English word with at least two distinct pronunciations, one which reflects the spelling,
the other which sounds like "draw-ring".

I don't think "draw-ring" is ever correct - there are lots of local ways in which people what don't talk proper mangle the language. Like "I sorim yesterday" which is just as wrong as "I seen 'im yesterday" and both common in Cardiff (and probably elsewhere).
ski holidays
It's not what I'd say, but those who use it would likely point out that obviously much of English pronunciation does not reflect spelling.
It's a very popular usage, and not restricted to particular educational backgrounds I think.

My mum was a teacher, who was once asked how to spell "fur".
She later discovered that the child in question wrote that he'd: "had a very good time on the rides at the fur".
Of course English spelling, even there, isn't phonetic, or he'd have been bang on with "fur".

I don't know about other languages, but with English mavens ain't never going to win wink

--
Like "I sorim yesterday" which is just as wrong as "I seen 'im yesterday"
That's a slightly different point. Both are perfectly good unambiguous verbal English.
snow report
@philwig,
Quote:

Both are perfectly good unambiguous verbal English.

They may be unambiguous but they certainly aren't 'perfectly good'. The snag is that if you don't know how to speak English to a reasonable level then you won't be able to write it either. Weird accents and strange pronunciations are one thing, completely incorrect verbs and sentence structure are another thing altogether.

Yoda's speech was unambiguous but hardly very good.
ski holidays
There's a big difference between being unambiguous and being correct. It could well be that some educated people say "draw-ring" but that doesn't mean they're right.
ski holidays
It's like "He gave it to my brother and I". Intelligible. And wrong!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy