Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

normality in french alps?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
a quick question to thiose who might know...
Just wondering how 'normal' is life in the french alps at the moment.

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very little social distancing in Tignes and Annecy according to separate mates, seems pretty much like a normal summer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading out there next Friday to our wee house-currently in mid renovation. Looking at the posts from local permanent residents on the Valley Echo and St Martin facebook pages, there seems to be plenty going on, including restaurants open. Rob our builder said Les Menuires is busy-more than normal I think. The urge to get out into open spaces has boosted the summer economy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty much business as usual here in Serre Chevalier, plenty of masks being worn, and as Chocksaway said, getting a little lax on social distancing and this week is heaving at the start of the French holidays!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Business as usual in Chamonix - masks being worn when people remember/can be arsed to remind you and social distancing pretty much out the window.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masks will be compulsory indoors from 1st August.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not much different in Les Deux Alpes tbh.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent the weekend in Tignes and things were surprisingly normal. In general that was good but the Grande Motte funicular made us feel unsafe - it was rammed with no social distancing. Staff were practically forcing extra people on board to reach the usual capacity.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PinkPig wrote:
I spent the weekend in Tignes and things were surprisingly normal. In general that was good but the Grande Motte funicular made us feel unsafe - it was rammed with no social distancing. Staff were practically forcing extra people on board to reach the usual capacity.

Oh well. They must be trying to out-do the UK death numbers... Shocked

On a serious note though, that is shocking to hear. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are in Les Arcs at the moment and the resort is looking just about normal for the summer, with renovation work and tidying up going on. The only exception is that in the shops everyone is wearing face masks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We expect to be in Chatel mid August. Can anyone point me in the direction of the definitive source of rules (mask wearing, what is allowed to open, other restrictions)? Official FR government source preferred!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, can you pop round to 1950 and advise how social distancing is going over there? Smile

For various reasons I'm about to ask for the 'official' version from da management - but from the above, boots on the ground can obviously be a better indicator!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PinkPig wrote:
Same with the Aiguille du Midi, but just on the downhill ride!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jim has just been skiing in Les 2 Alpes and we have a report in the latest episode of The Ski Podcast here
https://audioboom.com/posts/7632157-56-australia-nz-skiing-in-the-new-normal-in-les-2-alpes

re France fatality rates, in the UK we are averaging ~80 deaths per day. In France, it's ~10. Suggests the virus is under control in France.
FWIW in Switzerland it's ~1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are people obviously using the French STOP Covid contact tracing app do you know? I've downloaded it and the Swiss Swiss Covid app ahead of our summer trip next month. Both are voluntary (I think) but it seems sensible to activate it and and was just wondering if either has actually picked-up any local outbreaks so far?

If these apps are actually helpful then I can envisage having to get used to more episodes of local outbreak containment i.e. for the next season, the concern won't be so much a national lockdown as oppsed to what happens in a local lockdown and the mechansm for your being contacted and having to isolate in situ.
snow report
Pretty fast moving atm. Wearing of masks in enclosed public places was previously announced for 1st August. An announcement today has bought that forward to next week.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/le-masque-obligatoire-dans-les-lieux-publics-clos-des-la-semaine-prochaine-annonce-le-premier-1594887952
ski holidays
iainm wrote:
Jim has just been skiing in Les 2 Alpes and we have a report in the latest episode of The Ski Podcast here
https://audioboom.com/posts/7632157-56-australia-nz-skiing-in-the-new-normal-in-les-2-alpes

re France fatality rates, in the UK we are averaging ~80 deaths per day. In France, it's ~10. Suggests the virus is under control in France.
FWIW in Switzerland it's ~1

Given the relative populations, France and Swizerland are about the same.

In Chamonix the busineses want the Brits back (they hate the Parisians currently here on cheap deals) but are scared what they may bring.
snow report
Whilst the Brits are dying at a greater rate than the French, though the counting methodology is different, the new cases of the lurgy are not wildly different. Yesterday France 416, UK 538 for very similar populations.
snow report
Always carry 3 masks.

On and off the slopes.

Morning, day, and night.

One to wear.

One in case a strap breaks.

One in case it gets lost.

The death plague has not gone away.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
Masks will be compulsory indoors from 1st August.

Why August?

Has there been uptick of cases? If so, why wait till August? Hasn't been enough talk of "had we done this or that 1 week or 10 dat early..."?
ski holidays
@abc, supply chain probably
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Are you talking about mask “supply”?
ski holidays
The super u in bourg was strange compared with those in the UK. No wiping down of trollies. No real attempt at social distancing and only about 2/3 of customers wearing masks. And no garlic for sale.
In arc 1600 last night there were no bars open.
There were less climbers at Notre dame du pre yesterday normal
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Yes.

Big uptick in infections esp. Paris and the West.
snow conditions
We arrived in Les Carroz last Friday. It had similar infection rates to our village at home ad like ours only 1 death. Our kids have worked remotely for this last week as have we. Signing off work for 10 days from later tonight. Drive down was OK, masked / gloved up for the service stations and plenty of hand sanitisers. Ate outside on Sunday and drank at outside bars. We wear masks when we go inside shops, as do a lot. Spoke to locals we know and they were pleased to see us as they need the money but they are hoping the Parisians will bypass and head for the South. Heading to Annecy on Monday for some lake activities and one daughter wants to do some shopping. Some big gatherings (visiting choirs that come every summer for a series of concerts)have been cancelled but other village activities in the square still going ahead.
snow report
we went on a rafting trip down the Isere today and it was very much as normal with everyone wearing masks indoors and on the bus. There was even a large group of white water canooists going down the river training for an event later in the year. We even ate outside att he Tounea restaurant opposite the Train station in Bourg. The tables were set the regulation goat's length apart and all the staff wore masks. Social distancing was not obeserved on the funicular, however. They had a picture of a goat at the station to show how far apart you should be.
For tomorrow we have rented electric mountain bikes.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Yes.

Big uptick in infections esp. Paris and the West.

I wonder when "uptick" officially replaced "increase? Puzzled

Will we be looking at price upticks soon? Puzzled
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
The tables were set the regulation goat's length apart and all the staff wore masks. They had a picture of a goat at the station to show how far apart you should be.

Jesus! Acting the goat Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, don't get me started on spurious and completely unnecessary words used when perfectly adequate ones exist. I can still remember IBM coming to our workplace (about 12 years ago) spraying functionality like confetti. The word had an R rate greater than you know what.
latest report
I know R rate is less significant with small numbers but its now 1.29 in Rhone Alpes, 1.55 in Provence Alpes and 2.62 in Brittany. On Friday France had a new case rate of 12.8 per million folks, so still low (UK 10.1, Spain 29.9, Portugal 26.9, Germany 6.0, Austria 18.7, Switzerland 10.8, Belgium 19.5 - for comparison from Worldometers, lies damn lies and statistics warning!)
snow report
Our case rate is much higher than 10.1 per million. Somewhere around 1700 per day according to the govt ONS, 2100 according to the latest Kings college research (https://covid.joinzoe.com/data ) , so 30 per million and rising (their data a week ago suggested 1400 per day. I’ve been following the latter and post my health status daily since March-it’s worth Signing up and helping the research. They’re the team that managed to persuade our useless govt, finally, to add anosmia to the symptom list.

Heading to France overnight via the tunnel on Thursday..Will be extra careful this week at work, 3 days of socially distanced but in person court hearing coming up...Then a week of DIY on the house in the mountains, and lots of outdoor activity for me and Mr P. Plus his significant birthday to be celebrated by just the two of us, with a nice lunch in a swanky looking mountain refuge above Les Allues. The plan for a bigger gathering had to be parked, but tbh, we are quite happy for it just to be us.. can’t wait!
latest report
Also heading off, in our case the overnight ferry from Hull on Monday evening. We have to go to Rotterdam which is further to drive, they aren't yet opening the Zeebrugge one to passengers. Hoping to be chilled in France with good walks and nice restaurants.

We will take 3 cloth masks each and a pack of disposable ones, hoping we can manage as necessary.
snow conditions
@Perty, The source for the UK figures within worldometers is from .gov.uk, so it seems reasonable to use it when comparing with other countries data. I can't find any new case data on the ONS site, which is not a great site so that may be me. Zoe is based on 4 million people on an app it would appear, if that methodology was used in other countries higher results would also be likely. So I don't think its valid to say our rate is much higher as you did without much greater analysis.
snow report
@chocksaway, you’re right about the govt data for positive tests. But the ONS stats also include govt tests conducted randomly, so they get a bigger picture of the spread than just those who decide get tested. See here https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/england17july2020 and on that basis they reckoned 24000 people were positive with 1700 per day infected as at 12th July.

Interestingly, the Zoe study at the beginning of last week had pretty much the same level of current infections...I think it was about 23000, with 1400 new infections per day and as at 5am yesterday calculated it to be 28000 plus 2100 new infections per day.
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Our case rate is much higher than 10.1 per million. Somewhere around 1700 per day according to the govt ONS, 2100 according to the latest Kings college research (https://covid.joinzoe.com/data ) ,

You can only test people who will go for a test. Anyone with symptoms can get tested. Old folks in homes are routinely getting tested. So if that is the number being published, then that is the number you should use. Its possible there are more who are not showing symptoms or only mild symptoms, but this would be the same in any country.

I don't think the Zoe App or ONS guesstimates are much of a true marker. No doubt with the pubs open, lots of people will be putting on zoe they feel bad, headache, tired, etc. Suffering from a hangover... not covid.
ski holidays
I read the evidence and research ...the only reason I posted was to point out we shouldn’t get too relaxed about it. I’m no scientist, but like to read and understand the evidence. I’m a lawyer...I like evidence, I like to understand methodology, and I like to question the source of information
BTW..Zoe does random testing of participants who claim symptoms. A response that you feel ill does not count as a positive test. The boffins test a proportion those who claim they are ill to get their stats. They are not stupid enough to think that self report equals a positive test. That would be daft.

Anyway...thread drift here...and it’s making me cross.
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, the ONS figures are not "guesstimates" but proper estimates collected from a stratified sample of the population who are tested even if there are reporting no symptoms. Since they are a sample they also publish the error bars.

Anyway back to the topic.
Yesterday we rented e-bikes and went around the resort trails of les arcs. All was much as normal. However, mask were worn at all points indoors. We were allowed to take ours off while sitting at a table in a restaurant in the evening but the staff kept theirs on.
The lifties are being strict on wearing face masks. I saw people being turned away from the transarc because they were not wearing masks. Most lifts are only carrying one person at a time, but even those have to wear a mask.
ski holidays
Heading back from Morzine this morning. Most bars and restaurants are quite keen to ask you to put a mask on when moving about (visiting the loo etc). We were walking/road biking and lifts were running at reduced capacity but no big queues anywhere. Most/all shops open and most/all folk masked up in them.
snow conditions
Mask theatre back in full force as of tomorrow. But that aside, Chamonix pretty much back to normal.

Economically, it seems, talking to local bar and shop owners, that they’re seeing typical numbers and spend of French tourists but suffering from a lack of yanks and brits. Which is no surprise to anyone.

Not wanting to pee Perty off by drifting, but we had the most excellent supper in Mumma on Friday. Low temp roast salmon absolutely delightful, although Mrs U couldn’t get past the soft-shell crab tempura.

Just sayin’.

(We were inside and masks not insisted on for transits).
latest report
The French government has now finalized its new confinement plan. The aim is to keep the workers working so the plan would first target old people's homes then may confine retirees to their homes and immediate surroundings. I think 4 levels are envisaged. The aim is to avoid a global re-confinement this winter with the expected "second" wave of covid. (which, of course, may not happen).

I also had some information from the local ski club. All the clubs have financial problems and they are trying to work out solutions with the sports ministry but the level of activity will be less next season and they've been warned to expect restrictions during the winter so should plan with this in mind (ie not launch into any expensive events that will than be cancelled).

For some training we're doing we're having to go to Switzerland this summer as a lot isn't running or going to run in France before 2021.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy