Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer in Alps with kids -what to do ,where to stay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you're going to be near Chamonix, can I recommend a family day out (in good weather) just slightly across the border a few Kms into Switzerland, to the Barrage d'Emosson via the Vertic'Alp?

http://youtube.com/v/SFwwAg1dnKk

You drive, or take the train, along the valley from Chamonix to Le Châtelard, then a funicular from 1125m to 1825m that hits 87% incline, then an open-top, mini-train around the mountain to a mini-funicular up to the Barrage at 1930m. You can drive up to the Finhaut summit, but you'd miss some fantastic views. Or you can cycle, like they did on the 2016 Tour de France at the end of the 17th stage from Berne via Martigny (462m). That's why the full-size Tyrannosaurus at the top is wearing a yellow cycle helmet (about 4h hike from the Barrage there are dinosaur footprints).

Payment in EUR or CHF, Adult £22 return, Child under 16 £11 return for all three - funicular, panoramic mini-train & mini-funicular. 20% family discount for 2 adults+2 children. CHF10 for a CHF 20 voucher for the café.

Website is https://verticalp-emosson.ch/en

Apologies for the multiple attempts, there was something really weird about the rendering of the text previously. Possibly a diacritical character in the URLs, which stops the rendering engine in its tracks. Anyway, sorted now. I'd delete but of course, we're not allowed to.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 23-07-20 15:56; edited 7 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LaForet, admin probs won't see it here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gilly76, thank you. Yes, I have looked at this campsite and will definitely try it next time . This time we have booked a flat in Chamonix- have spoken to someone who just went there and doesn’t seem to busy and so will see. We are planning to stop on the way in a campsite in Champagne on the way there and explore a little.
If you have any tips for Lake Maggiore would appreciate. We have booked a cottage in Baveno, a town next to Stresa.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LaForet, thank you. This sounds fantastic. We will plan to do that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have been to Bourg st Maurice for about 10 years with our children. They were 8 and 10 when we started. They loved every holiday.

Try some of the easiest via ferrata, and some of the white water rafting and inflatable canoes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bella2015, accommodation in Arc1950 is booked out solid for first three weeks of August (well, 2 bed apts anyway) - possibly because they are offering 'thank-you' deals to health-care workers. Now I know we always outperform other summer ski resorts in terms of occupancy, but if our 21% yoy increase is indicative, you don't want to hang around too long before making a decision.

Shh you didn't hear it here on a ski-forum, but the Alps are almost better in the summer than the winter...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, I’d say chamonix isn’t quite as busy as normal, but unless you have a frame of reference for “normal” it seems pretty busy.

The aiguille du midi and skyway from Italy is noticeably quieter than normal, but, at least on the skyway, they seem to have abandoned all social distancing. The lift I took down yesterday didn’t have any semblance of social distancing, the only thing they were concerned about was ice axes being properly positioned...

If you’re driving over to Italy afterwards then I’d suggest leaving Cham very early on your travel day to Italy, and doing the Mont Blanc skyway from the Italian side. I think it’s more spectacular and a nicer ride given the modern revolving cable car.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ringingmaster,

We've just bought an apartment in BSM, and our kids are 9 & 10, so this will be the first summer of many hopefully. Can you recommend a suitible Via Ferrata with some instruction etc so we can sort out what's what??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another excursion for a rainy day or bad weather is to visit the underground salt mines at Bex, en route from Martigny to Lake Geneva. ViaMichelin says it 65 mins from Chamonix, but I'd say it's more like 1½ hours if you include a couple of stops to look at the views of the Rhône valley towards Verbier and Sion. This also assumes you have a vignette to use the autoroute (40 CHF) - without the vignette, you'd need to drive through Martigny and take the 'A' road route.

You board a miner's train into the heart of the mountain and then do a walking tour inside the old passages. The shop there was better than I expected (not so much of the usual Edelweiss-embossed mugs and Swiss cowbells etc.). It's best to book a train slot, as you'd possibly have to wait a fair time if you just turned up on spec'. We got the English audio tour headphones, which are included with an on-line booking, which I'd recommend you pick up, unless your colloquial French is good.

See: https://www.seldesalpes.ch/en/salt-mines/visit-salt-mines/

If you do go, the best seats on the train are at the front and back where the seats are open. The rest of the seating is inside a covered wagon. Obviously, not a great trip if you're at all claustrophobic, especially as the end of the train line is about 1km+ inside the mountain and covered by up to 800m of rock overhead.

[*If you were intending to visit other places in the Rhône valley like Verbier, Sion (Castle & Abbey), Martigny (Roman amphitheatre, the Fondation Giannada), the Bains de Saillon, Chateau Chillion etc. the vignette will probably be worth it. If it's just for the one excursion to Bex or similar, using the non-autoroute would add a bit to the journey. Don't be tempted to risk using the autoroute without a vignette - the Swiss police are hot on picking people up for this. You can buy one at the border or most petrol stations.]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gilly76, I can reccomend either the Bettieres up the Landry valley near the Rosuel gate to the national park. It is in several sections getting progressively harder so you exit after the easy first section, the slightly harder second one or complete the difficult third one. Or the cascade de la fraiche at Pralognan which I see is now upgraded to a D or TD. The scenery is wonderful up there. A trip into the bookstore at the Super U or Intersport will have lots of guidebooks.

Arc Adventure offer guiding if you want to pay for a guide.

And I hope you enjoy the apartment.

Since the weather in Les Arcs was a bit inclement today we had a walk up to 1800. The centre of the village was packed with kids on trampolines tramolines with bungees, archery, parkour d'adventure or just walking around in guided groups. It was very pleasant, but a bit like a holiday camp.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE,

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely take a look at both options. Think I'll take the kids on a guided trip first, make sure that they're keen, although I'm sure they will be, also keen to sort out the requirements on gear too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy