Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowexpress?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wanted to get some recommendation on travel options apart from flights, hope you can shed some lights on it.

I'm travelling to Meribel for 2021 Feb half term with a group of 6 and I was looking to take the ski train, until it got cancelled for the whole season.... I do not own a car so driving from London (where I live) isn't really an option unless I rent a car, which will bring a whole load of other issues with it that I don't want to contend with. So the last option is really taking the coach from London straight to Meribel and while it was possible with Snowexpress, when I rang up they said they are still looking at ways to operate the coach travel that can adhere to the government advice, I hope it won't end up the same fate as the Ski Train.

So I was wondering what would you guys recommend? Do you know if there are other coach companies that do direct point to point travel? I have heard and read a lot of good things about Snowexpress but this is uncertain times. If flying is the only viable way then so be it, but I was hoping that I could travel to the alps alternatively.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-10-20 16:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eurostar to Paris, tgv to chambery, taxi or bus to Meribel.
It cost me £220 return last year from St Pancras to bourg st Maurice
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What’s wrong with flying?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What’s right with flying?!....
- Although, I guess, if compared with a bus ride through most of the length of France the disadvantages of planes & airports become diminished.

Garricw, just because one train option will not be available to you, it doesn’t mean you need to seek out a totally different alternative - I don’t know specific details personally - Stewart Woodward suggests one - however this man can almost certainly give you good pointers on how to find alternative routes: https://www.seat61.com/France.htm

Though in the current situation nothing will look as good as it should do.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all for your reply, really appreciate it.

I think breaking up the train journey is actually not a bad idea, a 10 hour slog on there train could get quite tedious.

I primarily wanted to ski greener so will try to explore travel options but flying.

@Marksky, thank you for the information, I'll definitely have a decent look into it and see what my options are

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-09-20 17:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A @stewart woodward says Euro* to Paris, change station, then TGV.
Time it right and you won't even have to stop at Chambery. You should be able to get a train from Paris all the way to Moutiers. From there,you can get a bus or taxi up to Merihell.

On the whole, train travel is much more civilised than plane: you have more space around you, it's easier to chill, read a book, watch a film or even sleep. It's also easier to stretch your legs if you get restless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@admin, sounds good, will probably do that over train travel anyway, much easier for us to get to KX than to any of the airports around London.
thank you for the advice, very useful and probably will take that over flying.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, on the train no additional charge for carrying skis etc, and no need for a separate check in - you carry on all your luggage.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@garricw, https://www.altibus.com/ is a good call for the transfer to/from Moutiers into Meribel not sure of the economics though vs. private taxi for 6.

We have done the route to Moutiers both on a direct train and breaking it up in Paris - enjoyed it and the views were great - the direct train was a bit tedious, even though quicker.

As admin pointed out below - which also reminded me its Moutiers for trois Vallees and Bourg St Maurice for Les Arcs and Espace Killy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-11-20 18:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although, if you're going to Meribel, the best station is Moutiers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At half-term direct trains from Paris to Moutiers/Bourg St Maurice may be crowded - and that's before any additional covid restrictions.

If you break your journey by overnighting in Paris you get a lot more options: e.g. TGV to Lyons and a local train to Moutiers - which may take a bit longer but will possibly be less crowded. (Perhaps also cheaper? Not sure if French trains vary pricing according to demand ...).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all for your recommendations. We are definitely considering taking the eurostar to paris then change for a TGV to Moutiers.

@extremerob, Cheers, will look at this as well.

Really need to plan out a route now, only 3 more months to go exactly!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy