Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow dome reopening and closing again (& dry slopes)

Poster: A snowHead
rjs wrote:
@PrimroseAndBlue, You have to turn at the top of the lift in all of the indoor snow slopes, you will hit the wall if you don't.

I was thinking more that it seems a bit at the top of, for example, Chill Factore. The way it worded made me think she'd essentially propelled herself off the lift at speed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At Mk Snowdome you can come off the right hand drag lift half way up to access the top of the beginner slope. They do this to allow beginners access/practice on a drag lift but still using the beginner slope without using the travellator. Causes lots of problems with beginners not able to get on the drag or when the get off half way.

Can fully understand why they do it though, at some stage you've got to put the bit between your legs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Warning! Snow can be slippey! wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Made it to HH today with two of my lads. No park/terrain features today, so a little repetitive, but really, really good to be on skis again after having the season curtailed. Reasonably slick set-up, one way system, hands free check-in, staff in visors. No changing rooms, so you need to change in the car (35 deg. today!) (or not mind stripping down to skivvies in the open as long as you're rapid about it; they don't have too many benches to get booted and suited in order to maintain separation). Only about 25 people on the slope at a time at peak, of which 10-20 were invariably on the button lifts and 5 milling around up top/at the bottom, so you generally had the main slope to yourself. Almost never any discernable queue to get on the button (max was 3 people and normally none). None of the civilians were masked, but we never got within 2.5m of anyone anyway. Restaurant was open with a decent QR-code ordering setup for most of their menu. Despite the ~90 minute drive, we will go again.

That said, I can't imagine the takings today covered their costs, so if we want these places to survive, get on up there!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was at HH yesterday morning and i would say 50:50 with some form of punter face covering. I asked about masks and was told all staff wearing one but they can't enforce masks on public so at individuals preference. Staff at the entrance to ensure quick check in. Scanner at lift and random scanning, we only had to scan once.
Snow in good condition, easy to do drills etc with plenty of space. I changed in car as way too hot to wear sallies from home then got shorts on in toilet before going to cafe. Food is on the special deal. Served in disposable packaging, about half the tables have gone but plenty space for people to grab a drink.
It was good to get skis back on after 6 months. Booked again for 2 weeks time, will be interesting to see how they increase the numbers.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And here's 10 September 2020 Hemel at around 11:30:

Lots of spaces in the car park.

I've never it so quiet at 11:30 in the morning. I think they're limiting it to around 25 people, and some of those were on the learner section.
Almost zero waiting for uplift (probably zero if you're slow), and the slope would have maybe only one or two people on it at any one time.
Managed to dig a few trenches.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:
And here's 10 September 2020 Hemel at around 11:30:

Lots of spaces in the car park.

I've never it so quiet at 11:30 in the morning. I think they're limiting it to around 25 people, and some of those were on the learner section.
Almost zero waiting for uplift (probably zero if you're slow), and the slope would have maybe only one or two people on it at any one time.
Managed to dig a few trenches.

Was the same on Sat morning...best session ever!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in the Chillfactore today with some other Snowheads. We did 2 hours from 1.00 to 3.00. The place was nearly empty again. It was the same the last time we went. Their Covid precautions seem pretty stringent. Okay, it's a bit of a pfaff getting changed in the car park, but I felt safer in there than walking around our local supermarket.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Likewise probably no one than a dozen max mid afternoon in Hemel yesterday (wed)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is this crazy obsession with serving food in disposable packaging? Are they saying they don't clean crockery and cutlery sufficiently? It's hit and miss too I've been to places where I'm trusted to use a plate others where I'm provided with disposable packaging. I'm fed up with different rules for each location and fed up with not being treated like a human being and having to eat out a box when plates are available.

Here's a tip, just wash the plates and cutlery.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@James77, I know - this reaction is really worrying me as to the impact on our environment
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, quite right, in this situation it's fine to destroy the environment when we decide to start to live with it we'll care about the environment again!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

What is this crazy obsession with serving food in disposable packaging?

Or coffee in combined plastic/paper cups. I was in one of those coffee shops once and insisted they serve my coffee in a proper cup. They made it in a paper cup then poured the coffee into the proper cup and threw the paper one away. I have never used that chain again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone got any idea when they're going back to full numbers? I'd love to get a session in on these reduced numbers!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apparently all the English ones having to close again from 5th Nov under Lockdown 2 Sad
snow conditions
Gutted... this was my plan to keep the skills up this year - and (more importantly) when I visited some of the staff told me how happy they were to be open again Sad have a couple of sessions booked in to rearrange or refund
snow report
I'm looking to do chill factor before Thursday.. Suspect it will close for a long time after Thursday..
snow conditions
Managed 5 hours at Hemel this season, it was a good season - I look forward to next season
latest report
There goes my IASI L1 exam in 2 weeks time then!
snow report
@Little Martin, tell me about it. Started back teaching yesterday!
snow report
Gaaaaaah I wanted to go to MK to at least get something in this season! Was going to take a day off work to go up on a Friday. Damn this virus
snow conditions
I'm thinking of heading over to the SnowDome tomorrow night. Has anyone been recently?
snow report
Have actually been thinking about the operations of the domes during the lockdown.

Do they let the snow melt or do they keep the coolers going and maintain the snow?

Surely there is a point where blowing new snow costs less than maintaining the current snow with no income from operations - I wonder what that is?

How long does it take a snowdome to start from scratch to start blowing - would also assume they need to get the temperature down especially that of the substrate first before they can blow and that may take a few days.
latest report
They leave it all running. It would take months to melt it and refreeze it.
snow conditions
In fact - see this... https://www.thesnowcentre.com/snowsure/news/will-the-snow-melt
snow report
extremerob wrote:
Have actually been thinking about the operations of the domes during the lockdown.

Do they let the snow melt or do they keep the coolers going and maintain the snow?

Surely there is a point where blowing new snow costs less than maintaining the current snow with no income from operations - I wonder what that is?

How long does it take a snowdome to start from scratch to start blowing - would also assume they need to get the temperature down especially that of the substrate first before they can blow and that may take a few days.

CFe used their slope for food storage: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/chill-factore-being-used-giant-18287900
snow conditions
@Tubaski, great article and surprised by the timescales. Would have thought they could use the chillers to blow in warmer external air to get it to melt and also use mechanical means to push snow outside.

But the 8 weeks of 24/7 to get the snow back made me think that the flow rate they can produce snow at must be lower than what resorts in the alps and north America are capable of. I am sure I read an article somewhere that it just takes 3 days of blowing snow to open a slope in Arapohoe basin or Loveland.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy