Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Save The Ski Train!

Poster: A snowHead
Mr.Egg wrote:

Its not the flying people are not comfortable with, its being in an airport with thousands of people. Airports are not clean the best of times! then you are mixing it up with people from all over the world.
I would be more comfortable on a direct from point A to point B knowing its not going to stop, there is not going to be a high turnover in people getting on/off, etc.

Having used St Pancras extensively over the years for both Eurostar departures and my daily commute for a while, all of the above points about airports apply equally to major London train stations, especially the one that handles all international traffic as well as being an interchange station for 6 or 7 underground lines.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, HEPA filters esentially remove particles down to 0.3 microns. Even in aerosol form (droplets from sneezing or coughing, previously thought to be the primary form of transmission) SARS-CoV-2 has been observed as small as 0.25 microns. And in non-aerosol form, which WHO now considers a possibility, virus particles can be as small as 0.004 microns. But if we want to continue this debate, perhaps better to move back to one of the virus threads rather than derail (Very Happy) this one
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eurostar are running all of their trains half full to ensure social distancing can be achieved. The maximum number of passengers on a train is 470 (depending on the type of train).

Eurostar can run a train from St Pancras to Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam and back again several times a day whereas they can run it from St Pancras to the Alps only one way in the same time frame. They will make more money by focusing on their north European routes, particularly when direct trains can be run from Amsterdam to London. They are a business and, having suffered due to Covid, need to get some cold hard cash into their coffers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guardian weighing in https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jul/10/suspension-of-eurostar-ski-train-is-disastrous-say-no-fly-campaigners
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I signed, even though I've never taken it and probably never will (not from the UK). Really important that these services exist and are actually made more attractive in the coming years, which is what makes this so sad. I go back and forth to Austria multiple times per year by train, so i could imagine how much it would suck not to have this option anymore, especially if you don't want to fly and don't have a car like me. Hope they can still do something about it!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ecureuil wrote:
@chocksaway, HEPA filters esentially remove particles down to 0.3 microns. Even in aerosol form (droplets from sneezing or coughing, previously thought to be the primary form of transmission) SARS-CoV-2 has been observed as small as 0.25 microns. And in non-aerosol form, which WHO now considers a possibility, virus particles can be as small as 0.004 microns. But if we want to continue this debate, perhaps better to move back to one of the virus threads rather than derail (Very Happy) this one

As folks have compared the two I'll carry on here as its a specific topic. HEPA filter efficiency is quoted at .3 microns, because, AIUI, they are the tricky ones to catch, it is actually easier to catch the smaller ones and the bigger ones. More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA

The air in an aircraft cabin is completely changed every 3-4 minutes in modern aircraft - more here:

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f1163430bba94512a583eb6d6b24aa56/cabin-air-quality.pdf
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-clean-and-safe-is-a-planes-cabin-air

Eurostar don't mention HEPA filters and their carriage air is changed completely every 15 minutes

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/service-information/coronavirus-and-eurostar-service - hygiene tab

If you could pay your money and take your choice (but it seems we can't!)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
HEPA filter efficiency is quoted at .3 microns, because, AIUI, they are the tricky ones to catch, it is actually easier to catch the smaller ones and the bigger ones.

yep, explained in detail here

http://youtube.com/v/eAdanPfQdCA
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Oleski, thanks for posting that. Very interesting and easy to understand.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Oleski, fab! Thanks. A natural teacher there.

PS love the cat and I knew there was a reason for not having a hipster beard!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the guardian article

Quote:

It will still be possible to reach a wide selection of French ski resorts from the UK by taking Eurostar to Paris and changing to a TGV train, but Elkan argues “that doesn’t compensate for a direct service”, especially for first-time, long-distance train travellers.

So if you want to travel by train for eco reasons you still can. If you are not willing to use the train because of a single change, maybe you don't care that much about your carbon footprint after all.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boarder2020, +1

Plus it's a lot more pleasant than the night Eurostar and you'll be able to have a beer or 2 which was banned on the directs I think
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chocksaway wrote:
@boarder2020, +1

Plus it's a lot more pleasant than the night Eurostar and you'll be able to have a beer or 2 which was banned on the directs I think

No issue with drink on the direct day time, think they had cut back on the night train. We will look at the indirect route via Paris, only downside is it is quite a while before SNCF announce train times & costs? They release 3 months in advance while I can book cheap Easyjet right now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
@Daniel Snowcarbon, why do you care? It’s not a public service.

A bit harsh. Shocked If nobody cared about anything ski-related we wouldn't have Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway, @Oleski, thanks. Filters are clearly a bit more sophisticated than I thought!

@boarder2020, apart from the carbon footprint, the big change is the removal of the overnight service, which immediately reduces skiing time by 25%. For me, a couple of nights of interrupted sleep in exchange for 2 additional full days of skiing was a bargain. If you lose a few days to poor weather, it can sometimes mean 6 instead of 4 days. And the extra days are Saturdays , which in most resorts are generally a lot quieter and more fun on the slopes. Combine all that with the fact that if you are not in or near London, having to change in Paris may also mean that you need an extra night's accommodation, in either London or Paris. A more expensive holiday for 25% less skiing isn't very attractive. Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, @Oleski, @ecureuil,

I have said elsewhere, Henry vacuum bags are HEPA filters.
Go cut some up to make face masks or inserts for a facemask
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
From the guardian article

Quote:

It will still be possible to reach a wide selection of French ski resorts from the UK by taking Eurostar to Paris and changing to a TGV train, but Elkan argues “that doesn’t compensate for a direct service”, especially for first-time, long-distance train travellers.

So if you want to travel by train for eco reasons you still can. If you are not willing to use the train because of a single change, maybe you don't care that much about your carbon footprint after all.

I would actually prefer a change of trains than have an uninterrupted 10 hour slog.
Train travel can be pretty tedious after a few hours. Plus a welcome opportunity to have a little wander round a station and use non-train toilets!
snow report
Quote:

I would actually prefer a change of trains than have an uninterrupted 10 hour slog.

I've done both and they each have their merits, but that was back in the days of the bar carriage on the overnighter.
snow report
Quote:

apart from the carbon footprint, the big change is the removal of the overnight service, which immediately reduces skiing time by 25%

Then take one of the overnight coaches. Even have the advantage of being taken direct to resort rather than having to change from train to bus for the last bit.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

on the other hand alot of the pro skiers talk about the fact that in order to participate in the sport, travel and to access mountains they need to use airplanes etc.

Electric Greg is a great example of what someone can do if they really want.

Don't think he skinned to Japan
latest report
Quote:

Don't think he skinned to Japan

If he went to Japan after the whole no emissions project he's just as much a hypocrite as the POW guys. However, the documentary about his 100 summits without emissions still stands as what can be done by those wanting to be eco friendly skiers. Personally I don't care about people flying to ski (I do happily), my issue is the hypocrisy of those telling us we need to cut our carbon footprints while still continuing their own lives as they want.
latest report
boarder2020 wrote:
Then take one of the overnight coaches. Even have the advantage of being taken direct to resort rather than having to change from train to bus for the last bit.

I've done that before. Any suggestions as to who is still operating?

Snow Express / SkiBusUK apparently still deciding whether to run a service in 2020/21
Ski Meribel haven't updated their website since 2016/17
Ski Weekends used to offer a coach option (for long weekends) but I don't think they do any more
Eurolines either have a poor website, or currently aren't offering any services.

That leaves perhaps:
Interski (Aosta valley only)
Snow Coach (Valmeinier or St Gervais only)

Any others?
snow report
Selfdrive.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
The normal SNCF train service is pretty limited at the moment. I'd drive.

As it goes, I'm writing this from a Paris-Basel train right now, using their excellent free wi-fi and with plenty of space in 1st class (€12 more than standard). Wearing a mask is not much fun, but as you're allowed to take it off to eat or drink, I've noticed that people seem to be tucking in more than often (could be my imagination).

Took me 25 mins from stepping off Eurostar at Gare du Nord to arrival at Gare de Lyon and that includes waiting to buy some metro tickets. The change of trains isn't really an issue for me and it opens up many more destinations, rather than just the Tarentaise. I'm on my way to Saas Fee and I'll be doing a similar change-in-Paris train option 2-3 times during the winter. Highly recommended.

Please sign the petition and feel free to have a look around Ski Flight Free (www.skiflightfree.org) for more ideas on reducing your carbon footprint.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy