Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona covered ski travel insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

I know this is the piste but it is relavent to our ski trips. I got a heads up on a travel site that the Allianz insurance that BA promote includes coronavirus medical cover. So I thought I would start a topic specifically on insurance that has CoViD2 and Ski cover because not all travel insurance will cover Corona now that it is known about. On a recent BBC link about a pilot in Vietnam that was on a ventilator for months (and survived) the cost of the medical cover was about £4k/day. Now granted that could be the same if you had a serious accident however, this would be covered by most policies. If CoViD was in a ski resort the chances of getting it would be a lot higher than a mega accident.

BA page
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/flights-and-holidays/travel-insurance

If you choose a european country you get the options of European cover If you choose say India you get the options of worldwide cover. Ski cover is up to 79 years old for a single trip and up to 65 for a multi trip. Importantly it covers Corona Virus and other pandemics.

Cover prices seem okay but it needs delving into for the fine details.

Basic detail examples.
http://www.magroup-online.com/BAW/GB/EN/BA_GB_en_Deluxe_IPID.pdf

and

http://www.magroup-online.com/BAW/GB/EN/BA_GB_en_Essential_IPID.pdf

Full Ts and Cs
http://www.magroup-online.com/BAW/GB/EN/BA_Deluxe_TCs.pdf
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GlasgowCyclops, Good topic. AIUI MPI which to many of us is a go to insurer does not cover Corona related medical expenses when abroad.

Edit. 11/7/20 MPI now covering Corona medical expenses when abroad.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 11-07-20 14:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't looked into the detail but Staysure appear to be offering medical cover for covid19
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My reading of the insurance cover included with Nationwide bank accounts (according to their updates for future bookings) is that anything related to Corona Virus/Covid 19 is not covered. With various changes NW have implemented of late I`m keeping my eye on the market place, as a bank account its really not the good value, in my personal circumstances, it once was.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, is it just me or is it a bit short on details with regard to ski cover. Nothing mentioned other than ski pack and piste closure cover.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@adithorp, Yes but the thread is to hopefully find one that is good. The BA one was a starting point. Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BA have specifically designed the product because they figured out pretty quickly that it was needed if they ever hoped to get longhaul leisure travel back (and possibly shorthaul depending on how badly BoJo fecks up EHIC)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@adithorp, @Dave of the Marmottes, yep and you could always get good ski insurance and covid insurace as well. Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is worth a read on travel insurance in general, https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/#asab
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cad99uk, Yes I used MPI for years but they recently changed their underwriter and the price went through the roof. They also dont cover for corona since 5.30pm 13th March. I used Asda last year, whch covers Pandemics, but it is now not available. If you bought before 13th March you are covered for Corona with and existing Asda policy.

https://money.asda.com/travel-insurance/travel-insurance/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As someone pointed out elsewhere, "covered for Corona" involves two very different things. Cover for Corona related medical treatment will be readily available and, particularly if Bozo doesn't balls-up EHIC, relatively cheap. Not a big risk given most tourists will choose to either cut their holiday short and fly home if developing symptoms, or just spread until the end of their stay. Evil or Very Mad

Insurance against the cost of the holiday is a whole different ball game, and will be either unobtainable or very expensive, given how many things can potentially and too easily go wrong. I suspect people will either self-insure, or not go. Confused
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@shep, spot on, if you have annual travel insurance and you renew with them it’s likely that your cover will continue, if you buy on a per trip basis or take out annual insurance with a new provider you need to check carefully. My previous post with the link to MSE explains it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you go to the USA or Canada EHIC won't cover you.

If you develop symptoms you may not be allowed to travel back so cover for quarantine is also interesting. I think the BA cover also accounts for that.

If you are not worried or think you are covered all is well but others may want a policy that covers Corona if they are taking out ski insurance anyway. Eg the cost of the BA policy is similar to my last year's insurance policy.

Also some policies have altered their terms. EG my Nationwide account has travel cover but they are removing travel cover for Corona.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-with-flexplus
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trailfinders are doing COVID cover, including cancellation/curtailment due to COVID, winter sports included.
True traveller are also going to be covering COVID as well
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Radar! snowHead
ski holidays
After insuring with dogtag for years, we will be looking for another provider. They left us high and dry with covid cover. A policy we RENEWED on 5th Jan now appears to have a detailed section in the online version of the cover information explicitly excluding covid. Trouble is I didn't take a copy of the online version at the time. I am 99% sure they have modified it after we renewed but have no proof.

Anyway, we will be looking for cover with off piste and covid cancellation cover.
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, have uou asked them for a copy of the policy from the date of purchase?
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Yes, and they refer us back to the same online document in here:
https://www.dogtag.co.uk/contact/download-zone/

They say that was in force at the time. Perhaps I missed that section when I read the small print (and I usually do read it). Perhaps they were really on the ball, and thought COVID was going to be a big issue.

What is really amazing is that the policy document "For policies purchased from 1st January 2020 to 31st January 2020" it uses the term "COVID-19", but the WHO did not give it that name until 11th Februaury. So on the ball, and psychic.
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
After insuring with dogtag for years, we will be looking for another provider. They left us high and dry with covid cover. A policy we RENEWED on 5th Jan now appears to have a detailed section in the online version of the cover information explicitly excluding covid. Trouble is I didn't take a copy of the online version at the time. I am 99% sure they have modified it after we renewed but have no proof.

Anyway, we will be looking for cover with off piste and covid cancellation cover.

@ringingmaster If the policy wording includes the name "Covid" it can't possibly be the wording that was in place when you bought the policy, as that name wasn't announced until 11th February. I'd suggest pointing this out to them and ask for a copy of the correct policy wording.
snow conditions
See here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it#:~:text=The%20International%20Committee%20on%20Taxonomy,two%20viruses%20are%20different.
snow conditions
ringingmaster wrote:
@holidayloverxx, Yes, and they refer us back to the same online document in here:
https://www.dogtag.co.uk/contact/download-zone/

They say that was in force at the time. Perhaps I missed that section when I read the small print (and I usually do read it). Perhaps they were really on the ball, and thought COVID was going to be a big issue.

What is really amazing is that the policy document "For policies purchased from 1st January 2020 to 31st January 2020" it uses the term "COVID-19", but the WHO did not give it that name until 11th Februaury. So on the ball, and psychic.

I'd contact the FCA if I were you.
latest report
@sugarmoma666,
We have been through that loop. They are uninterested. Our 'loss' was not that great in the end, and I lost the will to keep at it. But, after 8 years of renewal, I wont be using them again.

I am kinda tempted to start an explicit DOGTAG thread on this forum so if people google search them, they see what happened.

This is the wording for policies from 1st Jan:

Quote:

• There is no cover under this policy for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and
Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises you not to travel, for example where the FCO advise against all but
essential travel to an area affected by Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
(SARS-COV-2) or any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2.
• There is no cover under this policy for any claims as a result of Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome
(SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat ofany the above.
Except for Section B3 If you need emergency medical attention. This will only apply if you did not travelagainst the published
advice of the FCO, any local government, local authority or WHO
snow report
@ringingmaster, the FCA are uninterested?
snow report
Worth noting that the BA insurance at the start of this thread covers an individual for medical or being personally, specifically locked down for corvid19 (or anything else). It won't cover if travel is generally restricted to/from an area for quarantine purposes.

I suspect that not covering general quarantines will be a standard clause now, as they can't cope with the number of claims it generates in a single hit.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, Have not contacted FCA. Dog tag are uninterested.
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, that cannot have been the original wording, it has been added at a later date. Perhaps pandemic was already in there though?
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:
@sugarmoma666, Have not contacted FCA. Dog tag are uninterested.

I'd contact FCA for the same reasons as you are thinking of starting a thread, i.e. to protect others. I'd imagine they'd be pretty interested in this.
latest report
@ringingmaster, As @sugarmoma666, Has suggested the FCA is the way to go this is from Money Saving Expert , link and relevant extract Below

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/#asab

“ However, the Financial Conduct Authority has confirmed to us that if you had an annual policy before mid-March and renew with the same insurer after that, you SHOULD still be covered for coronavirus issues (as long as you were covered before you renew). All the insurers we've spoken to – including all those listed in the table below – have confirmed this. So if you're rejected, go to the Financial Ombudsman and argue the firm isn't following "standard industry practice".”
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ringingmaster, disgraceful behaviour. The FCA would certainly be interested.

That wording looks like one introduced to the insurance market around March and having Googled the text I found the following https://www.insurancewith.com/policy-changes/ which has virtually identical language and is dated 13 March.

Look how similar the wording is. It is a standard insurance market wording. I would be amazed if Dogtag could have come up with precisely that in January.

Perhaps start by writing to the chief exec of Travel Insurance Facilities plc, details here: https://register.fca.org.uk/ShPo_FirmDetailsPage?id=001b000000MfUyuAAF

Advise them that you are considering referring the matter to the FCA under “Conduct Risk” formerly known as “treating customers fairly”.
snow report
Has anyone asked MPI what their position is on this?
snow report
This is the actual document. It is also interesting that it has an end date of 31st Jan. I presume it should be end of March.

https://www.dogtag.co.uk/media/1819/dogtag_pro_march_2020.pdf
snow report
@ringingmaster, given that the url has March 2020, to me that would be a good indicator that it was changed then.
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

BA page
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/flights-and-holidays/travel-insurance

If you choose a european country you get the options of European cover If you choose say India you get the options of worldwide cover. Ski cover is up to 79 years old for a single trip and up to 65 for a multi trip. Importantly it covers Corona Virus and other pandemics.

Cover prices seem okay but it needs delving into for the fine details.

Basic detail examples.
http://www.magroup-online.com/BAW/GB/EN/BA_GB_en_Deluxe_IPID.pdf

and

http://www.magroup-online.com/BAW/GB/EN/BA_GB_en_Essential_IPID.pdf

Full Ts and Cs
http://www.magroup-online.com/BAW/GB/EN/BA_Deluxe_TCs.pdf

Interestingly, the BA policy seems to cover off-piste without a guide, if skiing within the ski area boundaries.

I'm not sure how the ski area boundaries would be defined exactly in Alpine resorts.

Quote:

If you have chosen to include winter sports cover and this is shown on your booking confirmation,
or you have an annual multi-trip policy, the following activities are automatically covered.
Skiing (including on dry slopes and indoor ski centres), snowboarding, big-foot skiing, cross-country
skiing, glacier skiing, monoskiing, off-piste skiing or snowboarding (as long as you are skiing within
the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines), sledging, snow
blading, snow tubing, and tobogganing.
latest report
@musehead, ski area boundaries are a north american concept. Makes no sense for europe
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
My reading of the insurance cover included with Nationwide bank accounts (according to their updates for future bookings) is that anything related to Corona Virus/Covid 19 is not covered. With various changes NW have implemented of late I`m keeping my eye on the market place, as a bank account its really not the good value, in my personal circumstances, it once was.
Perhaps they have changed their policy just recently, but the current FAQs on their website seem to give as much cover on Covid-19 as you could hope for. They say:
"Your travel insurance will provide cover for events relating to COVID-19, such as emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip, as long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel both when you booked your trip and when you depart on that trip."
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/important-travel-information#~
snow conditions
@koru, this is their travel insurance page, which most definitely says different.
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/claims/making-an-insurance-claim-with-flexaccount
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@koru, this is their travel insurance page, which most definitely says different.
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/claims/making-an-insurance-claim-with-flexaccount
Yet if you click on the link saying Find out if your trip is covered, it takes you to the page I linked. I agree there is a contradiction, but the FAQs repeatedly say covid is covered. I think they just haven't updated the page you linked yet. (If I were travelling soon, or deciding whether to buy cover elsewhere, I'd phone them to confirm.)
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I think there might be a timing issue with Nationwide. Direct Line provide Nationwide’s Travel Insurance and they, Direct Line, have recently changed their approach to Covid-19 cover as in @koru’s quote above but it looks like the main Nationwide page hasn’t been changed to reflect this. At least that is what I’m hoping.

Edit Cross posting!
ski holidays
I've just been looking through the current policy doc, as linked on their site: https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/product-support/insurance/flexplus-ins#xtab:worldwide-travel-insurance

Interestingly, it is dated November 2019, so they seem not to have changed it since the pandemic started. On a quick look, I certainly can't see any reference to Covid-19 or SARS CoV-2 (or any other infection).

I also note that the cancellation cover no longer includes cancellations due to being unable to stay at your accommodation because of (among other things) pandemic. This was in the May 2018 wording (as I have a printed copy), so it looks like they happened to make this change just before the pandemic happened. But you can still claim if you cancel due to illness (actually having Covid-19) or because the FCO advises against travel to your destination (after you book). And you can still claim for the cost of being treated for Covid-19 on your trip (as long as you did not have symptoms before departure).
snow report
@koru, as @Hells Bells, says the travel page says you are not covered but crucially for trips booked after a certain date.

The info you link to says what happens if you are I'll and if you will be covered. It says you will be covered based on the TS and C's of the insurance.

So, if you are covered, yes we will cover you like this. But if you are not covered then you are not covered.

Whether you are covered by insurance depends on when you booked. Clear isn't it (not) Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy