Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corona covered ski travel insurance

Poster: A snowHead
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Whether you are covered by insurance depends on when you booked. Clear isn't it (not) Happy
I think this distinction on timing is only relevant during the period when FCO advice was not to travel. For the countries for which the FCO has lifted that advice, I'm convinced that you are covered. But they do need to update the wording on the page @Hells Bells linked.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-07-20 18:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nationwide's underwriter seems to have confirmed this to MSE, yesterday:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2535741/travel-insurance-article-discussion#latest
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Nationwide FlexPlus product description page has been updated to reflect the Covid-19 cover as described by @koru,

As I guessed it does appear to have been a timing issue where NW updated parts of their product description pages ahead of others. In any event, it is good news.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtr wrote:
The Nationwide FlexPlus product description page has been updated to reflect the Covid-19 cover as described by @koru,
Which page? These all still say there's no cover:
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/features-and-benefits
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/claims/making-an-insurance-claim-with-flexaccount
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/product-support/insurance/flexplus-ins#xtab:worldwide-travel-insurance
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@koru,

This one

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/important-travel-information
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, that's the one I linked yesterday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
koru wrote:
Ah, that's the one I linked yesterday.

It is the one you get to from the products->current accounts->flexplus->travel insurance page. The summary at the top still mentions 18 March but the Q&A section now cover COVID 19 without any mention of 18 March. It is not very well laid out. I know that Direct Line are now using the same wording as the new NW section but I think that may still be for existing policy holders at present.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
Has anyone asked MPI what their position is on this?

No, but this has appeared on their website:
https://mpibrokers.com/news-advice/mpi-news/mpi-now-covers-emergency-medical-expenses-if-you-contract-coronavirus-overseas
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugarmoma666, Thanks for that. This is a change from a couple of weeks ago.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In addition to Covid cover, the government is now advocating that travel insurance for 2021 includes full health cover with the likelihood that EHIC cover will no longer be available for UK citizens.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nationwide has now revised its website to remove the references to 18 March.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like Staysure covers CV19: https://www.staysure.co.uk/discover/coronavirus-latest/#now
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was looking at this yesterday. Coverwise seemed to have a fairly comprehensive Coronavirus cover policy:

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/Travel-Insurance/corona-virus.aspx

With winter sports cover, included activities include Off Piste skiing, Heliskiing and Ski touring which is what I would need. 31 days of cover which would be fine for me in most years, 17 days per trip. No mention of a guide being required for Off Piste etc. Can also include travel disruption cover still. Underwritten by AXA.

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/Travel-Insurance/FAQS/Activities.aspx

Silver level cover covers the correct level of cancellation etc for me and was coming out at £40 per year without disruption cover or £56 with.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just spoken to Natwest insurers about the bundled insurance that comes with their Black account:

Covid cover if you are taken ill whilst away
&
Covid cancellation cover so long as the area you are travelling to (or through I presume) does not have a travel advisory against it at the time you book.

Hope that might help someone but please check for yourself, and it was for the Black account, I've no knowledge on other bundled accounts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I posted this in the MPI Brokers thread, but re-posting it here:

I have an annual travel insurance policy with MPI and today I received an email from them which contained the following information:

"Great news - Holidays are starting to become a reality again and MPI are pleased to announce that we can help with your plans.

We are increasing our emergency medical cover – even though Coronavirus is still a known pandemic, we are now able to provide cover if you contract the virus whilst overseas, for trips to countries with no FCO warning. Cover includes;
• hospital costs
• ambulance costs
• additional accommodation costs (if you are unable to travel home as originally booked)
• repatriation if it’s medically necessary
Many travel companies are also helping with changing their booking conditions and cancellation scales, which should also help with feeling a little more secure when booking.

Happy holidays!!"

There was also a link to this webpage: https://mpibrokers.com/news-advice/mpi-news/mpi-now-covers-emergency-medical-expenses-if-you-contract-coronavirus-overseas
latest report
We used these guys before ( not specifically for Skiing) and got this through on email today:

This month from Just Travel Cover...

After weeks of restrictions we now have the green light to travel again, with popular destinations including Spain, the Canaries and Greece all on the FCO's 'safe to travel' and 'quarantine-free' lists.

But while the skies are re-opening we understand you may still be concerned about how Covid-19 may impact your holiday. That's why we can now offer enhanced cover with some of our policies*, which includes:
o Cover if you contract Covid-19 and cannot travel*
o Cover if you're required to self-isolate and cannot travel*
o Cover if you're denied boarding at the airport due to Covid-19 symptoms*
o Cover if you contract coronavirus and need emergency medical treatment while on holiday (and repatriation costs to bring you home)
Plus, if you have to move your holiday after you've purchased cover you can change the dates on your Travel Insurance at no additional cost.

Don't forget, all policies will provide cover for emergency medical expenses if you need treatment overseas (including Covid-19) and will automatically extend should you not be able to return on your scheduled flight.

Protect your holiday, yourself and your family against the unforeseen - secure your insurance today and save 10% with code NL10.

*All policies will cover costs associated with emergency medical treatment, but only certain insurers currently provide the enhanced cover, currently AXA bronze, silver and gold. These are clearly marked alongside the prices when you get a quote. Change dates will depend on insurer and is up to 365 days from the date of purchase. Please check policy wording for full terms of each policy and note that you will not be covered if you travel against FCO advice.

Other travel policies are available
snow report
DrNo wrote:
Was looking at this yesterday. Coverwise seemed to have a fairly comprehensive Coronavirus cover policy:

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/Travel-Insurance/corona-virus.aspx

With winter sports cover, included activities include Off Piste skiing, Heliskiing and Ski touring which is what I would need. 31 days of cover which would be fine for me in most years, 17 days per trip. No mention of a guide being required for Off Piste etc. Can also include travel disruption cover still. Underwritten by AXA.

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/Travel-Insurance/FAQS/Activities.aspx

Silver level cover covers the correct level of cancellation etc for me and was coming out at £40 per year without disruption cover or £56 with.

Looks promising that some insurers are including this. The Coronavirus page you linked to says this:
"Your policy will not cover you for costs where...The travel restrictions in point 4 are as a direct result of the World Health Organisation declaring a pandemic or known event." Point 4 covers FCO advice against travel, so to me that says you won't be covered if the UK Gov advise against travel, which is surely one of the more likely Covid-19 related reasons to have a ski trip disrupted?

I may well have misinterpreted, but I'm a bit more cautious about travel insurance cover now as I'm still battling Ageas (the underwriter for my MPI travel insurance policy), as they have told me I have no valid claim for my curtailed March 2020 ski trip.
snow report
@milzibkit, that section does seem rather ambiguous. Not sure how/why the WHO would "declare a ... known event" as by definition it is known... COVID-19 has already been declared a pandemic so not sure that it will happen again. It may mean that if another pandemic is declared resulting in the FCO restricting travel then you wouldn't be covered.

If you had a package booked, I think if the FCO changed their advice then you would be refunded by the tour operator so that covers some of the risk. Not the case with independent flights and hotels necessarily however. I doubt there will be any policy which covers all eventualities RE coronavirus but of the ones I looked at, this seemed to be one of the closer ones!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-07-20 9:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DrNo wrote:
... . Not the case with independant flights and hotels necessarily however. ...
All my own independent flights and hotels, booked via mainstream suppliers such as Expedia, were refunded.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy