Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="holidayloverxx"]@jafa, what is rx?

Sorry, Received. (tx transmitted)

I thought the government announced weeks ago that everyone over the age of 5 were now able to be tested. No one in the NHS/care homes had to wait until they were showing signs, so surely they were indicating the same applies.

This announcement by the Govt last week is an absolute fudge. In advance they were meant to be announcing Air bridges which in effect were reciprocal agreements. I cant recall the Govt making us aware that this is NOT.

In effect, as the more testing is done in the UK, the clearer picture will be built up on the actual spread of the virus, which is helping the Govt.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be a new role there for someone, going round staying in all of our Apartments on a regular basis. Can you do Kirchberg?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, no hardship for me! Just let me know if you need me to do anything.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You cant find me a new cleaner??? My 72 year old has decided nows a good time to call it a day, after about 10 years. She was excellent and only lived about 50 metres away as the crow flew.

One of the many reasons why Im desperate to get out this summer. At the moment with guests booked in for xmas and NY with the changeover being on Boxing day, ive booked flights out on Christmas eve, back last thing BD. Last resort, but at £58 return, it was a no brainer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@holidayloverxx, no hardship for me! Just let me know if you need me to do anything.

aww fab.... I'm good till 31st July. Let's have a chat when I'm out - assuming I get there!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jafa, no, it's not just anyone https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/get-an-antigen-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/

Who can get a test
You can get a test:

for yourself, if you have coronavirus symptoms now (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
for someone you live with, if they have coronavirus symptoms
for yourself, if you have been told to have a test before you go into hospital, for example, for surgery
for yourself, if you live in Leicester, where there is a coronavirus outbreak
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Three groups of friends have recently driven from the U.K. to Saalbach, all via Harwich overnight ferry, Netherlands and Germany, and all in G.B. registered cars. None were stop-checked at any point. One family have now returned to the U.K. without any difficulty. However (a) they were clearly just lucky; (b) if they had been stopped, it can be safely assumed that they would have had to answer obvious questions and comply with the regulations; (c) I believe that the people in two of the groups had clear tests to produce, and the others intended to agree to have tests carried out at Zell am See hospital if necessary.
We also have friends who have driven down from Sweden, who also were not stopped anywhere on the journey, and who also had clear test results to produce if necessary.
One guy mentioned that they had had tests done at their local hospital free of charge - apparently just turned up saying that they had experienced symptoms.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know if there is a requirement to download a track and trace app whilst in Austria?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bennyboy1, The Austrian track and trace app will not work on a foreign phone account, well not UK ones anyhow. I think it is just voluntary though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a requirement to download a track and trace app whilst in Austria?

Definitely not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarpa, @Scarlet,

Thanks both
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
The format of the results is a big issue and timeliness. I haven’t found anywhere that works yet. Going to start calling Harley Street based clinics but I suspect the cost makes it challenging.

I have a reply from the austrian embassy. A UK test certificate is fine. I couldn't get an answer on whether 4 days means elapsed or inclusive time..they just kept saying its 4 days. So assuming flights can land u will test on tuesday, result thursday. Fly friday worst case scenario i have quarantine and i can get a test at the dr in our village
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Due to arrive in Austria (by car) with a family of 4 on Sunday 26 July. A lot of money already committed and was confident all would be plain sailing with talk of air bridges/travel corridors etc. Disappointed when Austria didn't lift restrictions (but respect their decision) but was flabbergasted to receive an e-mail from Austrian Embassy in London stating "All travellers coming from the UK must provide a health certificate with a negative COVID-19 test result. This rule has been extended until September 30, 2020." That's the same date as review as for US which doesn't make sense given that UK new daily Covid cases is about 500 per day, about the same as France (50,000 new cases per day in the US)

I've not found reference to this 30 September date anywhere else and a recent Tweet from British Embassy in Austria just says "We are in regular contact with the government of Austria on a wide range of topics, including entry requirements" (5 July 2020). I'm pinning my hopes that the real review date is 15th July - as direct flights from the United Kingdom to Austria are suspended at least until 15th July.

Otherwise, will have to go down testing route (£600 for a family of four, although could dishonestly blag them off NHS - I won't). However, that is complicated. Austrian Embassy ignored my question as to whether electronic confirmation of a negative test result would suffice. The NHS just sends a text message. I have seen their official medical certificate but given that the test has to be within 4 days and is 2 days to process in lab, having that certificate sent in the post isn't an option. I presume a scanned copy sent by e-mail would suffice?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GranthamPaul, I will be travelling with a scanned lab and doctor certificate that I will print off. I haven't seen 30th Sept referenced anywhere either.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am sure I read somewhere that the trigger for the Austrians to let us in without tests was when we were down to 500 new cases a day ? Or maybe I was dreaming rolling eyes
ski holidays
@GranthamPaul, I am afraid most other governments view the UK with suspicion and there is little faith in any information that is given out, whether this is justified or not is beside the point, Sweden is in exactly the same situation. Austria is very nervous about any level of the virus, they have just announced restrictions on travellers from Roumania and Bulgaria and there have been restrictions even from some parts of Germany. You must expect that there could be some "issues" to deal with if you wish to travel to Austria and the situation can change without notice. I would not hold out too many hopes about any review on the 15th, too many local outbreaks of the virus to be confident about any easing of the restrictions.

if you read this thread you will see that anyone who has been in the UK in the 14 days prior to arrival has to have a negative test result or have 14 days quarantine. Potentially you could get the test once you arrive in Austria but there is an element of risk with that. I know it is now too late to change things but Austria is currently not ideal for a family holiday if you are UK based, I suspect the only sensible option is to pay for tests privately (there are places offering results within hours not sure if so in the UK), possibly just before you leave so you get the results before you get to Austria. You might also want to check with your accommodation as to what they expect, here in Bavaria where certs have been required hotels etc needed to see them before arrival.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, There are plenty of places in the UK doing private tests in time to travel - I have posted one in London. What surprises me is that the US and Brazil are not on the flight landing ban

@skitow, haven't seen that referenced anywhere
latest report
@holidayloverxx, It was on snowheads, so it must be right Laughing

It was @queenie pretty please wot told me, on the hintertux thread :-

@skitow, unless the UK manages to get significantly below 500 new cases per day, it seems unlikely. There are rumours that Spain and Portugal may be taken off the danger list, but not so with Sweden and the UK.
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, can you tell me who you used? Austrian Embassy didn't answer my question on what they would accept re UK test confirmation - just a link to their certificate.
ski holidays
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-cases-3-day-average?time=2020-06-30..&country=FRA~ESP~GBR~PRT

Rolling 3 day average Covid cases per day:
France 617
UK 483
Portugal 282 (much smaller population of course)

Nevertheless, still clutching at straws as did receive this on 3 July from Austrian embassy (although UK embassy in Austria/Foreign Office have not confirmed):

Dear Mr. xxxx,
All travellers coming from the UK must provide a health certificate with a negative COVID-19 test result. This rule has been extended until September 30, 2020.
We hope this information is helpful.
Kind regards
Austrian Embassy London

+44 207 344 3250
18 Belgrave Mews West
London SW1X 8HU
London-ob@bmeia.gv.at
www.bmeia.gv.at/botschaft/london
http://twitter.com/austriainuk
snow conditions
@GranthamPaul, i will be usign doctorcall https://www.doctorcall.co.uk/private-gp-services/coronavirus--covid-19--testing in london. They also have a clinic in Manchester. You get the test and 48 hours later you get the result emailed with a doctors note that gives your name, DoB, date of test and the result.

I also just got a link to their certificate and asked them to answer the specific question about a UK certificate. their answer was "UK is ok"
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
A UK test certificate is fine.
Did they define what a UK test certificate is? Does it have to be signed by a Dr, or will the notification of the result of a publicly available swab test be sufficient?
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Very interesting that, thanks. Getting closer Laughing
snow report
@GranthamPaul, The average of positive tests/day in Austria for the last 3 days is 78. The government considers that to be too high (it is up from about 30/day 10 days ago) and restrictions have been reintroduced in some parts of Austria as a result. Like a number of other countries it has really only been the economic damage from lack of tourism that has led to the borders being somewhat reopened. Bear in mind that UK inbound tourism to Austria forms a small part of the overall numbers (Germany and Switzerland being the most important) so there is little incentive to make things easier for UK based tourists.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, The questions I asked was "Health Certificate: Does this have to be the Austrian form "BGBl. II - Ausgegeben am 11, Juni 2020 - Nr. 2632" or can it be an official certificate from the UK e.g. laboratory result and UK doctor's certificate?" and they said "UK is ok". I was only focusing on certificates as that is what I will be getting.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, thanks.
snow conditions
@munich_irish,

Quote:

The average of positive tests/day in Austria for the last 3 days is 78. The government considers that to be too high (it is up from about 30/day 10 days ago) and restrictions have been reintroduced in some parts of Austria as a result. Like a number of other countries it has really only been the economic damage from lack of tourism that has led to the borders being somewhat reopened. Bear in mind that UK inbound tourism to Austria forms a small part of the overall numbers (Germany and Switzerland being the most important) so there is little incentive to make things easier for UK based tourists.

I get all that but I think they opened up to France (not a critical tourist market I suspect) when they were on about 500 cases per day and Austria is about one-sixth of the population of the UK. The UK rolling average has fallen very quickly since the end of June, so a 30 September review looks absolutely ridiculous. Whether the decision to open pubs in the UK messes things up remains to be seen.
snow report
@skitow, it wasn't anything official, it was in a news report about the decision to remove the restrictions for travel with Spain and Italy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queenie pretty please, No problem, no criticism, grateful for any insight / information snowHead
snow conditions
Anyone considering a holiday in Austria should be very careful, booking too far ahead really might not be a good idea as there is clearly a lot of concern amongst various levels of government.

(from Spiegel with Googole translate)

Austria: Carinthia announces mask requirement in tourist hotspots
13.09: The Austrian state of Carinthia, which is also popular with German holidaymakers, imposes an evening mask requirement in tourism hotspots. Mouth-to-nose protection should be worn every night from 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. in public places like Velden or Lake Wörthersee.

The regulation is still being worked out and is expected to come into force on Friday, as the state government announced. "Velden should not become summer Ischgl," tourism minister Sebastian Schuschnig (ÖVP) told the media.

The federal state, known for its lakes, with around 560,000 inhabitants and currently only 14 Corona cases, has seen increasing numbers of tourists since May. There have been concerns about associated health risks for weeks. Appeals would not have been enough to prevent accumulations without clearance and hygiene measures, said Schuschnig. Both the mayor of the affected communities and the representatives of the catering trade are behind the plan.
ski holidays
The Austria website has been updated today, https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

"Entry Requirements for UK Citizens

Non-essential travel between the UK and Austria is currently strongly discouraged by both the Austrian and the UK government. Whilst we very much look forward to a time when we'll be able to welcome you back as usual, there is currently no specific date set by the Austrian government when this will be the case.

If you have to travel (for instance, for medical reasons or for work), you can enter Austria as a UK citizen if:

You can produce a health certificate in German or English, which is not older than four days and which confirms that the molecular biological test for SARS-CoV-2 is negative,
OR
You agree to a self-monitored 14-day quarantine immediately upon arrival."

You will need to have the health certificate on arrival into Austria,@holidayloverxx, has posted above about the form and private test.

The wording has changed from essential travel only to strongly discouraged.

I'm due to go at the end of the month, so plenty of time for the entry requirements to change.

@holidayloverxx, thanks for the info on the private testing saved me looking for a London one.
snow report
Last update: 6 July

Entry Requirements for UK Citizens

Non-essential travel between the UK and Austria is currently strongly
discouraged by both the Austrian and the UK government.
Whilst we very much look forward to a time when we'll be able to welcome you back as usual,
there is currently no specific date set by the Austrian government when this will be the case.

If you have to travel (for instance, for medical reasons or for work), you can enter Austria as a UK citizen if:

You can produce a health certificate in German or English, which is not older than four days and
which confirms that the molecular biological test for SARS-CoV-2 is negative, OR
You agree to a self-monitored 14-day quarantine immediately upon arrival.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information#entry-requirements

IF ITS NOT ESSENTIAL DO NOT TRAVEL TO AUSTRIA ..
DO NOT TRAVEL TO THE EU in 2020 .

Holidays are NOT Essential.
ski holidays
@stanton, thanks for reproducing my post rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

I get all that but I think they opened up to France (not a critical tourist market I suspect) when they were on about 500 cases per day and Austria is about one-sixth of the population of the UK. The UK rolling average has fallen very quickly since the end of June, so a 30 September review looks absolutely ridiculous. Whether the decision to open pubs in the UK messes things up remains to be seen.

Bear in mind that a decision to open up to a particular country is based on many things, one of which is number of positive cases. Other things might include the reputation of the government, the efficiency of the testing regime, or perhaps membership of a continent wide political union. The days of frictionless travel for UK citizens are over.
snow conditions
@JamesHJ,

Quote:

Bear in mind that a decision to open up to a particular country is based on many things, one of which is number of positive cases. Other things might include the reputation of the government, the efficiency of the testing regime, or perhaps membership of a continent wide political union. The days of frictionless travel for UK citizens are over.

I get that too (without wanting to annoy anyone on here I voted to remain) but still, all economies have taken a hammering, so no point cutting off your nose to spite your face. If UK visitors pose a significant risk then keep restrictions in place - if not then it's in Austria's interests to encourage UK tourists. I would say it is moving towards the latter but whether they will make that decision in time to save me from spending £600 on 4 tests that will almost certainly be negative who knows? Regardless of how the UK managed the pandemic, recent prevalence studies suggest Covid-19 isn't very widespread in the UK now - last random sample of 23,203 people in the UK, just 12 tested positive.

I think a bit more clarity about the decision making process/timetable would be helpful but appreciate these are strange and difficult times.
snow report
I would also say for economic reasons Austria like the rest of Europe has gone for the suppression strategy rather than a New Zealand elimination strategy - which means accepting a higher level of risk

Given geography that makes sense and I think that good systems are now in place in EU and UK to stem any exponential rise in cases, which doesn't mean a 2nd wave is impossible.
latest report
Quote:

IF ITS NOT ESSENTIAL DO NOT TRAVEL TO AUSTRIA ..
DO NOT TRAVEL TO THE EU in 2020 .

Holidays are NOT Essential.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements

Foreign Office says nothing about essential travel (as Austria is exempted country for more general FO advice) just that quarantine/medical certificate is needed

When I contacted Austrian Tourist Office previously they suggested they weren't part of the government and their entry requirement link (https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/) doesn't mention essential travel I don't think
ski holidays
@radar,

However: https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information

2.1 ENTRY FROM OUTSIDE THE EU AND THE SCHENGEN AREA

2.2 ENTRY FROM WITHIN THE EU, THE SCHENGEN AREA, SELECT SMALL EUROPEAN NATIONS AND THE UNITED KINGDOM

So considered as part of the Schengen area in this respect
snow conditions
Below was in response to a post now deleted

Quote:

@radar,

However: https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information

2.1 ENTRY FROM OUTSIDE THE EU AND THE SCHENGEN AREA

2.2 ENTRY FROM WITHIN THE EU, THE SCHENGEN AREA, SELECT SMALL EUROPEAN NATIONS AND THE UNITED KINGDOM

So considered as part of the Schengen area in this respect
ski holidays
@GranthamPaul, the advice on the foreign office site is advisory as they state in their preamble, its the country that sets the entry requirements and you need to check.

The Austrian embassy site says you need a certificate and then goes on to talk about countries outside the Schengen area not having access unless the fall into certain countries

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

The Austrian tourist site was updated today, not sure when you spoke to them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy