Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Totally agree people think it’s all ok now, but it’s still with, this is the current Salzburg stats for Pinzgau which includes Zell, Kaprun and Saalbach https://www.salzburg.gv.at/api5/datalinq/report/kribe@offentlichuebersicht@offentlichuebersichtz?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How come Saalfelden is an outlier then?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@VolklAttivaS5, larger population? I don't know, but it’s very hard to compare data that’s not normalised. Without any context, stats like these don't really help anyone. We get a lot of bad data Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
..Last week I had to forcibly push my way into a 6 man Gondola blocked by a solitary German (at Gaschurn middle station in my „home Montafon area“ so I felt particularly affronted). We had an animated exchange of words in German (which fortunately I speak fluently) & after a while he confessed that he wanted the Gondola to himself to make a confidential work call…I retorted he should book a helicopter & charge it up if that was his aim as he was just selfishly adding „zur Schlange unten“…we then settled down to a neutral coexistence for the next 15 mins. Earlier in the week I had a similar exchange with an Austria from Vienna (ie also very far from being a local) who was trying to block off the entire row of 5 seats next to him in a 6 man chairlift..at least when skiing last year we were spared such idiots..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergsteiger278, conversely I've turned people away with a polite but firm 'Nein, danke' when they tried to join our family group in a gondola. There was no queue, and they could literally have the next cabin to themselves, but were pretty thoughtless. Without them, we could remove our masks.

When there was a queue, we shared.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't the answer to share always? i don't see why someone wanting to use a spare seat (for which they have paid just as much as you have) in a gondola alongside your family group is being thoughtless...bytw iirc there wasn't any exception for mask wearing in Gondolas in the Austrian rules for family groups so the presence of someone else should have made no difference to your compliance..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aside from the pedantic point that "Nein Danke" is not particularly polite in German...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bergsteiger278, the mask rules allowed us to sit down at a shared table and take off our masks for lunch indoors. In a gondola which has all of the windows fully open and which has come down empty, what exactly would we gain by keeping the masks on?

I know the rules - they're intended to protect people when they have to mix with strangers. The lift staff were enforcing masks in gondolas when they were full, but not when they were clearly a single group only.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was more polite than I could have been.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The rules for mask wearing differed between Gastronomie & transport so what was allowed at a table in a restaurant is not relevant. Bytw since lockdown was lifted here some 12 weeks ago, I haven't noticed any lack of enforcement "for a single group". I have actually discussed this very point with a couple of close friends (ie we go skiing together in their days off) who are lifties..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
Aside from the pedantic point that "Nein Danke" is not particularly polite in German...

Really? I had no idea Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about "bitte schön können Sie vielleicht die nächste Gondel nehmen"...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergsteiger278, so now you're telling me that because of your experience in the Arlberg, I must have imagined being in a gondola in Salzburgerland without a mask, and the liftie ignoring us? rolling eyes

The rules are/were indeed different between gastronomy and transport, and I'm fully aware that in a gondola everyone was supposed to wear a mask. I'm also fully aware that it is utterly pointless when all of the people in the gondola have shared a taxi, a flight, a hire car, an apartment and multiple tables in restaurants over the last 5 days. And yes, I wore my mask at all times otherwise, unlike some. The worst offenders were locals using non-reusable FFP2 masks which were grey and furry with age, with the nose uncovered.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
How about "bitte schön können Sie vielleicht die nächste Gondel nehmen"...

...and when the person concerned is 80% likely to be Russian, based on their general look?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bytw I'm NOT in the Arlberg but the Vorarlberg - confusing the two is rather like accusing a Glaswegian of being from Edinburgh!
snow conditions
...can any Russians actually afford to/get a visa for skiing in Austria at the moment?..the only Slavs I've come across in recent times in Austria skiing have (or so I've been informed by Slavic friends as I wouldn't know)..been from the EU slavic countries - Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic usw...
latest report
I visited in January, and again in mid February, before Russians became pariahs. There were fewer than in previous years, but there were some, including one family I spoke to at length in English.
latest report
Actually, now I remember my Sudeten (ie German speaking) Czech liftie friend getting very arsy with two Slavic women who had pissed him off in January on a day trip to Nauders..turned out they were Russians & presumably some of the needle came from the "history"..So, there were some Russians around before the recent sanctions..
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
I visited in January, and again in mid February, before Russians became pariahs. There were fewer than in previous years, but there were some, including one family I spoke to at length in English.

One of the main problems possibly being their use of the Sputnik vaccine. Not accepted in Austria. The day after Russia invaded we had a booking from a group of Russians - duly cancelled when it transpired they were vaccinated with Sputnik. Fortunately. I’ve no idea how they’d managed to travel to Austria, given their vax status Puzzled
snow report
@Cacciatore, I thought you could travel to Austria on 3G now, so maybe they had a test? I assume if they stayed with you, they’d have to have a test every day, unless you insist on 2G? Awkward, anyhow Confused
ski holidays
Help please, am I correct that to travel to Austria we need proof of vaccination (we are boosted) but no longer need to fill in a plf?
snow report
No plf required in Austria. Im here now. No checks for vaccination status anywhere here in St Anton but driving down through France and Germany we wete checked everywhere. We even needed to show vaccine pass in Mcdonald in France. No masks here except possibly public transport but we have a car here so cant confirm.
latest report
JohnS4 wrote:
No plf required in Austria. Im here now. No checks for vaccination status anywhere here in St Anton but driving down through France and Germany we were checked everywhere. We even needed to show vaccine pass in Mcdonald in France. No masks here except possibly public transport but we have a car here so cant confirm.
snow report
@JohnS4, that’s great thank you very much Very Happy
ski holidays
Ffp2 masks are still required on all public transport here in Austria..
latest report
Back home now after 2 weeks in Westendorf. For those that want to know how much time to leave for check in at Salzburg Airport then I would say allow at least 3 hours. I already had my boarding pass on my phone but that didn’t seem to make any difference as you couldn’t just drop the bags off.

Yesterday my flight was 13.20 so I arrived at 10.40. I started queuing straight away for check in/bag drop which took a very long time for some reason, not sure if it was just the volume of people to process or what but it was really slow, security wasn’t as long, boarded the plane just after the original departure time and we eventually took off 45 mins late as people were still boarding the plane half an hour after the original flight departure time. This was with Jet 2 so no need to do the ‘skis queue’ for the Tui flights outside. Note that Jet 2 is usually Terminal 1 but when you get in there the sign says to check in at Terminal 2!

Salzburg can be busy on a Saturday in winter I know but I don’t think I’ve queued constantly for the best part of 3 hours before, no time to get coffee or something to eat in the terminal and they ran out of sandwiches/toasties on the plane too. The plane was completely full.

There was a lady in the terminal checking the UK PLF had been done here and there (but you can’t get your online boarding pass with Jet 2 without entering the PLF reference anyway) and COVID vaccination and when done she gives you a pink piece of paper that you have to present at the gate, so keep that safe. The time queuing seemed to be for the check in desks though, not the PLF checking lady.

Next to no masks of any kind worn on the plane. I wore mine anyway as I assumed it was still mandatory but it’s not now with Jet 2.
Most without masks in the terminal building as well.
snow report
Flew out to Salzburg yesterday with Crystal. No requirement to wear a mask on the plane. The rep told us that masks are only required on public transport and supermarkets but, having said that I saw plenty of people in Mpreis not wearing one yesterday afternoon. The only place we had to prove vaccination status was at the airport. I was expecting to have to show it checking in to the hotel but they didn't ask for it.
ski holidays
The restrictions in Austria have been lifted regarding checking status in accommodations. Masks should definitely be worn in supermarkets and on public transport (amongst other places). Anecdotally, I’ve not seen anyone without one in supermarkets. I did a collection from SLZ yesterday - didn’t see anyone not wearing a mask in the arrivals area.

I saw the Crystal rep - did you arrive around 3.30 @Corky?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, I hope yesterday was unusual but I agree that plenty of time should be left for SZG. According to our pilot there has been an outbreak of covid among SZG staff which led to the staff shortages and unusually large queues yesterday, so hopefully they will all get well quickly and return. I didn't get to SZG until 1205 for a 1320 flight but check in didnt seem to have started. PLF's were being checked at the entrance still.
Having said that, I wasnt complaining about delays .....I had earlier been sat in stationary traffic avoiding a 10k tailback on the A10 (I was travelling from Flachau) with a shared transfer driver cheerfully telling me not to panic or look at Google maps because he knows the best ways...... had you told me then I would have to queue for all but 30 seconds of my time at SZG, the 30 seconds sprint from security to the boarding gate, but still make my flight, depart 40 minutes late and land only 25 minutes late I would have snatched it.
snow report
Incidentally, outside the arrivals building, yesterday, I overheard a British guy saying he’d tested positive for COVID 2 days prior to arriving rolling eyes
snow report
@Cacciatore, No not 3.30. We landed around 11.00
snow report
@Cacciatore, yes on arrival 2 weeks ago everyone had masks on but not many did in the departure terminal/lounge yesterday, I thought it was mandatory inside airports but it can’t be any more.

@toyah807, you must have been on the same flight as me back to Birmingham? Yeah they were checking people in on 2 desks same as all the previous flights, think the screen changed to show the check in desk number at about 11.30 ish but I was still at the entrance area then waiting to get my pink slip done. The queue hardly moved I think it was just the volume of people in the check in area generally with the queues merging a little as well and possibly some people joining one of their travelling group already in the queue where they could come in at the side.

I can only assume every flight departing back to the UK and Ireland was full.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, yes, must have been
@Cacciatore, I am hoping you overheard a 'joke' rather than someone so inconsiderate
latest report
We come back Thursday Evening from Mayrhofen via Munich with BA.
Reading the other posts i'm going to continue avoiding Saturdays if possible , our flight was mainly business travellers with just hand luggage so the check-in queue was very short.
Everyone on our plane had to wear a mask both ways.
We arrived Sunday luckily after the rule change ,so the only place we had to wear a mask was the Supermarket ,all the rest Bars,restaurants, ski lifts even ski bus was mask free.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 18-03-22 10:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@toyah807, oh the tail back was unfortunate.

Our flight was at 10 10. Left the flat at 7.05, filled uo the car, dropped it off at and we were in T2 by 8.10.

Got the pink slip in a few seconds then joined the Ryanair queue. We picked the wrong one as there was a problem with a party of three checking in and and the queue didn't move for 20 mins. Once it was sorted the queue moved quickly enough. TUI and Jet2 queues were moving ok too. Boarded in good time and took off a bit late. The flight was full. Most people were wearing masks. Landed early and were home by 12.45 in time for the ladies slalom second run.
latest report
toyah807 wrote:
@Cacciatore, I am hoping you overheard a 'joke' rather than someone so inconsiderate

Sadly not, the guy sounded quite matter of fact!
snow conditions
196 pages, constantly over the best part of 2 years, and now nothing for a week.........Come on, what is the current situation ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
toyah807 wrote:

Airport, planes, hotels, ski lifts I think the way things are you will be close to someone positive at some point.
Check-in halls at airports especially I think there will always be some positive people just going by the numbers in the space.
If you want to ski/travel you just have to accept it is a risk
People choosing to go on holiday when they know they are positive need a slap though
snow report
Garfield wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
toyah807 wrote:

Airport, planes, hotels, ski lifts I think the way things are you will be close to someone positive at some point.
Check-in halls at airports especially I think there will always be some positive people just going by the numbers in the space.
If you want to ski/travel you just have to accept it is a risk
People choosing to go on holiday when they know they are positive need a slap though

From the prevalence of people going on ski hols and returning with Covid I think it's quite clear people are both travelling positive and failing to isolate when they develop symptoms. I'd imagine it is the same with workplaces etc now and all part of the learning to live with it phase.
snow conditions
FFP2 masks returning indoors from middle of next week. Press conference on measures going on at the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy