Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
It's for my grandson. He recovered 100 days ago and thought he just needed a certificate of recovery plus a PCR. An online doctor will just check his records and issue a certificate so thought any doctor could do the same. I find it so vague
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dedders, depends on his age - under 12 he's fine, 12-15 he can use the Holiday Ninja Pass instead, 16+ he's an adult and needs the full deal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wanted to avoid the ninja pass as it's three chances of isolation. I thought the following allows us to avoid that. He is 12.

Proof of full vaccination (2 jabs) OR proof of past infection (the medical document needs to show the date of recovery – (for guests from the UK: an NHS email/text of a positive test is not sufficient)
AND a negative PCR test (valid for 72 hours) OR proof of a booster jab (booster is valid from the first day)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dedders, sorry misunderstood what you were after, I was thinking 1 vaccination plus recovery in which case the 90 days would be irrelevant.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dedders, yes the same catch-all can apply to 12-15 year olds, so a recovery certificate plus a negative PCR should be good enough for entry. Once in Austria, the 2G rule applies, and the recovery certificate is good enough for that as well if recovery is less than 180 days ago.

Your problem then is in getting a recovery certificate for a 12 year old. The NHS app is for 13+ only, and even that needs their GP to approve a request for access. For under 13s, there is a possibility of having proxy access to their records added to a parent's app, but again that needs GP approval and apparently only works with 2 of the many platforms used by GP surgeries. You may be able to get a GP to provide a printed certificate of recovery, but I have no idea how you'd go about that - I have a very similar issue, so will be following up on this with my GP tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ousekjarr, Can you get a letter from the NHS?

not strictly the same circumstances as you, but there is a post in 'Piste' from someone who obtained an NHS letter for their 12 and 14 year olds

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158457

They were travelling to France tho'...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@albob, seems like it, yes - see https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

Thanks for flagging that up, as it could be really useful!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10431143/Teenagers-Covid-passes-holidays-dreaded-tests-fully-vaccinated-travellers-end.html

This could solve a lot of problems for a lot of us. (hopefully this i for Wales as well)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, does anyone know if there is any additional restrictions or issues with taking the postbus from salzburg through germany to zell am see? Would it just be seen as transit so no issue or would there be additional checks because you were just in the UK and briefly entering germany?

Thanks,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ionizingskin, firstly the chances of anyone checking are pretty much zero, secondly the requirements to enter Austria are more stringent than those for entering Germany so in the extremely unlikely circumstances that anyone did check you comply (Germany simply requires 2 shots and no tests rather than the Austrian 3).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ionizingskin wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if there is any additional restrictions or issues with taking the postbus from salzburg through germany to zell am see? Would it just be seen as transit so no issue or would there be additional checks because you were just in the UK and briefly entering germany?

Thanks,

I arrived to an almost deserted Salzburg Airport on the 1st of January and took the Postbus to Saalbach, absolutely no problem at all. I did the return journey on the 22nd, again with no issues either. The airport was much busier on the 22nd.

One thing to note is that I think the bus timetable is still a slightly reduced service, they don’t seem to be as frequent as in previous seasons. However, if you use the ÖBB app you can see all the possible routes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munich_irish wrote:
@melandnick, @Nikolauus, @lizp, and anyone else looking for answers to the various questions they are contained in the UK Austrian tourist office site which has been posted a number of times, here again https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations with a link there too to ninja pass info. All in good understandable English.

Im sorry to ask again as the wording is still somewhat contradictory and trying to prepare for our February holiday...

By tomorrow, my kids age 12 and 14 (born after 1 Sept 2006) will both be double jabbed (i.e. 2 doses) and have associated NHS letter with QR codes to confirm.
My understanding is that, because they wont be triple jabbed, they need still a negative PCR test to enter Austria - thats clear.

BUT - do they still need to continue to test in resort and fill in the ninja pass to enter restaurants and use their lift pass OR is the double jab/NHS QR coded letter sufficient to avoid that ?
The site mentioned just states "Teenagers (12 or over and born on or after 1 September 2006) can use the first PCR test of their Holiday Ninja Pass to enter Austria. " but its still not clear to which teenagers that actually applies based on their vax status ?
Obviously we would rather avoid the ninja pass hassle if we can.

thanks !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just as an aside, I've been tracking package prices to Austria for the main half term week (12-19 Feb) and there's some (relatively) crazy cheap deals out there. For example, a 4* HB in Zell am See for £750pp.

Those of you that don't 'do' school holiday trips will probably consider this expensive still, but it's really not. My guess is that families with early teens just can't be bothered with this Ninja Pass nonsense and are opting for France instead.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. May be slightly quieter on the slopes too...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from SkiWelt - our 14 year old was presented with a child's ski pass validated for the full week and therefore we didn't even bother with the Holiday Ninja business. No problems getting on chairlifts and into bars/restaurants, we adults showed our passes regularly and they were actually far more bothered about FFP2 mask-wearing than kids proving vaccination status.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ratechaser wrote:
Just as an aside, I've been tracking package prices to Austria for the main half term week (12-19 Feb) and there's some (relatively) crazy cheap deals out there. For example, a 4* HB in Zell am See for £750pp.

Those of you that don't 'do' school holiday trips will probably consider this expensive still, but it's really not. My guess is that families with early teens just can't be bothered with this Ninja Pass nonsense and are opting for France instead.

The Schmitten (Zell am See) site says just 11% occupancy at the moment. I'm off to Zell week after UK half term (but one of the weeks for Dutch half term). Be nice for me if a bit quieter than usual, but I don't want hotels to be going out of business...

Not all lifts are open there at the moment - a couple of T bars (not needed) and the top of the 3 stage Areitbahn gondola (the chair does the same job)

https://www.schmitten.at/en
snow conditions
I was in the Ski Amadé region last week, and we reckoned that numbers were at least 50% down on the same weeks in previous years. Ski buses which were normally full were running at 25% capacity, and while the slopes weren't empty, they were significantly quieter than we've ever seen them. Even a simple comparison like the number of cars parked outside apartment blocks would suggest a similar reduction.

We had no issues with travel in either direction. Smooth, well organised, and efficient even at Luton, where the numbers were also at least 50% down on normal.
ski holidays
We are hoping to head to ischgl for half term.

We have a 16 and 17 year old both double jabbed but no booster. I understand we need the PCR for entry.

But for getting lift pass and entry to restaurants I think that the two jabs are okay without further testing.

Is that correct ?
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
ratechaser wrote:

The Schmitten (Zell am See) site says just 11% occupancy at the moment. I'm off to Zell week after UK half term (but one of the weeks for Dutch half term). Be nice for me if a bit quieter than usual, but I don't want hotels to be going out of business...

Not all lifts are open there at the moment - a couple of T bars (not needed) and the top of the 3 stage Areitbahn gondola (the chair does the same job)

https://www.schmitten.at/en

Well I thought I got a good deal on my trip but perhaps I should have held out for more!

I guess if there is any further loosening of rules after the review due at the end of the month, then that could change things. But I do think it's the Ninja Pass that's really the thing that will impact families at half term week specifically.

I saw that AreitbahnIII was shut, but that's no biggie as we always preferred get off and stretch our legs down to the Breiteckbahn. As long as the link over to Saalbach is open, as that will be a new one for us and would make the wider ski pass very worthwhile.
snow conditions
@ratechaser, link looks open, but not the run back down in Saalbach (last time I looked...) so buses both ways to/from the ZaS Express at the moment.

The two little T bars are shut on the Sonnkogel, but that's of no consequence, plus the two man chair back from the Sonnkogel, which is a bit of a pain for walkers and those who don't like black runs (from what I remember from 8 years ago)

£750pp is cheap - a lot less than I am paying, but I book direct and use BA Avios - just like doing my own thing, but it's rarely if ever cheaper. And I hope I've chosen a good hotel -it's on the slopes just 50m above the City Express.

I expect my April trip to Obergurgl will find Obergurgl unusually busy - BA has already cancelled some April flights to Innsbruck which I think is shortsighted
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
@ratechaser, link looks open, but not the run back down in Saalbach (last time I looked...) so buses both ways to/from the ZaS Express at the moment.

The two little T bars are shut on the Sonnkogel, but that's of no consequence, plus the two man chair back from the Sonnkogel, which is a bit of a pain for walkers and those who don't like black runs (from what I remember from 8 years ago)

£750pp is cheap - a lot less than I am paying, but I book direct and use BA Avios - just like doing my own thing, but it's rarely if ever cheaper. And I hope I've chosen a good hotel -it's on the slopes just 50m above the City Express.

I expect my April trip to Obergurgl will find Obergurgl unusually busy - BA has already cancelled some April flights to Innsbruck which I think is shortsighted

Guessing you're in the Alpin Sporthotel then - great location although it always looked to me like they charged quite a premium for it. Although there are quite a few decent places up the road (eg the Waldhof) that border on the blue skiweg that connects from the Schmittenhohe lifts down to the Cityxpress

And I guess you either get in quick to bagsy the BA seats or you're burning double Avios as a gold. I've never really tried, but I know seats to INN/SZG go pretty quick!

Anyway, have a good trip snowHead
snow report
Thinking of a week end March in Arlberg, driving from UK via Holland (Rotterdam) and Germany. I read somewhere that changes are imminent because numbers are coming down. We are both double jabbed and boosted in November 21, what's the thoughts on the ground regards potential for improvements in travel for folks like us, without all the faff of testing before departure etc? TIA Puzzled
ski holidays
ratechaser wrote:

Guessing you're in the Alpin Sporthotel then - great location although it always looked to me like they charged quite a premium for it. Although there are quite a few decent places up the road (eg the Waldhof) that border on the blue skiweg that connects from the Schmittenhohe lifts down to the Cityxpress

And I guess you either get in quick to bagsy the BA seats or you're burning double Avios as a gold. I've never really tried, but I know seats to INN/SZG go pretty quick!

You got it in one. No, it isn't cheap but what the heck... skiing ain't cheap. But it's no more expensive than 4 star hotels and cheaper than the Berner nearby and way cheaper than places like the Tirolerhof where I stayed 8 years ago. I hadn't thought about hotels that backed on to that ski path; thought Alpin would also be a nice base for my OH who won't be skiing but will go walking. Zell looks to be a great place for walking

As for BA, I always go club as it gives you all that extra luggage allowance so works out cheaper with skis and boots. (Plus lounge and a meal, which are nice extras). The Avios cost isn't that huge. In the past I have booked each leg separately, 355 days in advance* - the mistake is to wait for the returns to be available as by then the outgoing flight has been booked up (by people like me). Managed to book Salzburg flights quite late this year.

Have a good trip too.

(*reminds me, I need to book next January!!)
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Thinking of a week end March in Arlberg, driving from UK via Holland (Rotterdam) and Germany. I read somewhere that changes are imminent because numbers are coming down. We are both double jabbed and boosted in November 21, what's the thoughts on the ground regards potential for improvements in travel for folks like us, without all the faff of testing before departure etc? TIA Puzzled

It's already changed. No need for tests to enter Germany or Austria of you are 2+ booster.
Holland still LFT as far as I know.
latest report
@Scamper, ah missed that!

Thanks for the update
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
ratechaser wrote:

You got it in one. No, it isn't cheap but what the heck... skiing ain't cheap. But it's no more expensive than 4 star hotels and cheaper than the Berner nearby and way cheaper than places like the Tirolerhof where I stayed 8 years ago. I hadn't thought about hotels that backed on to that ski path; thought Alpin would also be a nice base for my OH who won't be skiing but will go walking. Zell looks to be a great place for walking

As for BA, I always go club as it gives you all that extra luggage allowance so works out cheaper with skis and boots. (Plus lounge and a meal, which are nice extras). The Avios cost isn't that huge. In the past I have booked each leg separately, 355 days in advance* - the mistake is to wait for the returns to be available as by then the outgoing flight has been booked up (by people like me). Managed to book Salzburg flights quite late this year.

Have a good trip too.

(*reminds me, I need to book next January!!)

Yep, 355 days out, outbound and inbound booked separately, you clearly know the drill! As for me, I stick to economy simply because status gets me the lounge and extra luggage anyway, plus free exit row seats which are, at my height, more spacious than nearly all Club seats...

Anyway I digress. Let's see if the ditching of return tests just announced, along with access to the NHS app for 12-15yos, has any impact on demand. The £750 HB package on Crystal has been snapped up - if that was to anyone on here, you're welcome, and no finders fee expected. But I'll be in Crazy Daisy playing the nail game if you want to buy me a pint Laughing
snow report
@ratechaser, Don't have the status (or any status now!) - all my Avios are historical from when I was shuttling to Gothenburg every other week, or from BA Amex cards - spend and healthy sign up bonuses, plus BA portal shopping if Avios % generous enough.

I expect demand to rapidly increase.

Enjoy - won't see you there; miss by a week.

Seems like a dump next weekend, fingers crossed.
latest report
FastEddie wrote:
Just returned from SkiWelt - our 14 year old was presented with a child's ski pass validated for the full week and therefore we didn't even bother with the Holiday Ninja business. No problems getting on chairlifts and into bars/restaurants, we adults showed our passes regularly and they were actually far more bothered about FFP2 mask-wearing than kids proving vaccination status.

Did you get the 14 years old pass through the rep? We are going out 5th Feb with a double jabbed 14year old, would be great to avoid the Ninja pass, we are DIY though.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@Scamper, ah missed that!

Thanks for the update

No probs, we've just done it. Ferry into Amsterdam, (lft to get on the ferry) then across to Germany. - we then hung around for a couple of days till the no PCR for Austria cave into effect.
Covid pass with identity to buy lift pass, and ffp2 strictly enforced to be in/on the lifts - otherwise just like normal..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If anyone successfully obtains a 'proof of COVID recovery' certificate, can you explain how you got it!

We're travelling on the 5th with a 12 year old who tested positive on a PCR in Sept but my GP has bluntly told me there's no such thing as proof of recovery and the 119 call centre just told me they 'can't provide everything for every country, sorry'.

There was an announcement today that NHS COVID passes for 12-15 yr olds will be available through the app by the 3rd Feb but I assume that's for vaccination not recovery?

I know there are private clinics offering certificates at a bargain price rolling eyes but has anyone had experience of using them in a resort?

It's all a bit of a mess that I suspect will be resolved for half term but we're going the week before and like many, don't want to chance the Ninja Pass.
snow report
@Scamper, How have you done this?

The current rules for Netherlands state that visitors from the UK have to quarantine.

What am I missing?
ski holidays
@Scamper, A bit more digging gives exemption for stays of less than 12 hours...is that the fix?
ski holidays
NickYoung wrote:
@Scamper, How have you done this?

The current rules for Netherlands state that visitors from the UK have to quarantine.

What am I missing?

You can transit as long as you take less than 12 hours.
The border guard only asked where we were going - we said across to Germany, then South to Austria, and we were wished on our way with a smile.
A week ago we needed to fill in a basic passenger locater form - you'll not get on the ferry unless you have.
You're going in March? Everything may change by then...
ski holidays
@Scamper, Cheers.

Due out in April.

I looked to change my tunnel to a Hull-Zeebrugge ferry today, but the TO were very reluctant to entertain that idea and cited the quarantine rule.
snow report
NickYoung wrote:
@Scamper, A bit more digging gives exemption for stays of less than 12 hours...is that the fix?

Honestly, it's really easy. Jump through the hoops that get you on the ferry....
NL border know that you've complied because of the joined up thinking before you get on the ferry....

Drive to Austria, be good - wear your ffp2 when required and have covid pass and id handy to support.

Enjoy the snow snowHead
ski holidays
Give your TO a big shake! All dfds did was send us link for the nl locator form...
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
@Scamper, Cheers.

Due out in April.

I looked to change my tunnel to a Hull-Zeebrugge ferry today, but the TO were very reluctant to entertain that idea and cited the quarantine rule.

That could be because the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry ceased over a year ago !!! (did you mean Hull - Rotterdam?)
latest report
crandall wrote:
If anyone successfully obtains a 'proof of COVID recovery' certificate, can you explain how you got it!

We're travelling on the 5th with a 12 year old who tested positive on a PCR in Sept but my GP has bluntly told me there's no such thing as proof of recovery and the 119 call centre just told me they 'can't provide everything for every country, sorry'.

There was an announcement today that NHS COVID passes for 12-15 yr olds will be available through the app by the 3rd Feb but I assume that's for vaccination not recovery?

I know there are private clinics offering certificates at a bargain price rolling eyes but has anyone had experience of using them in a resort?

It's all a bit of a mess that I suspect will be resolved for half term but we're going the week before and like many, don't want to chance the Ninja Pass.

Is the information at the top of this page any use to you? (regarding a letter from the NHS....)
snow conditions
It appears that letter is relating to vaccination status rather than recovery, both GP and 119 were adamant they didn't issue letters for that but I'm not sure why, I submitted for a letter anyway, thank you!
ski holidays
@albob, Yes, I realised my error (was convinced no-one would notice!).
snow report
@Markymark29, @Scamper, Are we quite sure that two vaccinations counts as fully vaccinated to avoid PCR, I thought you needed a booster? Hope I am wrong.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy