Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@ski for fun, yes all comfortably within the 48 hour window - flight lands 9am tests taken lunch time yesterday - and the Randox drop box results were received at 2am this morning - so less than 12 hours after dropping them off - very impressed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
woodworm wrote:
Help please. How do you show proof of recovery. Is it shown on Nhs app.

On the NHS app for over 16s. For 12-15 vacc passports are available (paper not app) but don't show recovery status (not yet anyway). Proof of recovery for this age would have to be a GP letter (mine refused to sign one!) or a company such as www.just-health.co.uk who charge £75 (last time i looked). Obviously this could all change in a relatively short space of time but this is the info that I have found as it stands now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ratechaser wrote:
Nikolauus wrote:
https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

Embassy have updated their guidance, makes it a bit clearer!
So 2 vaccines and a booster = no quarantine?

I see they are still persisting with the language saying that the booster is only valid if given at least 120 days after the second dose. If as widely reported, this isn't true when traveling from the U.K., then it's really not helpful and will continue to confuse people...

As I have said previously the 120 day thing is only a problem for Austrians as they do not get a QR code if they don't have that gap. The regulations around that are written for Austrians not other nationalities. All anyone looks at here is your latest QR code or certificate which only contains data about that jab / recovery and nothing else. Your medical history is not available for anyone who checks your code to see.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris_n wrote:
ratechaser wrote:
Nikolauus wrote:
https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

I see they are still persisting with the language saying that the booster is only valid if given at least 120 days after the second dose. If as widely reported, this isn't true when traveling from the U.K., then it's really not helpful and will continue to confuse people...

As I have said previously the 120 day thing is only a problem for Austrians as they do not get a QR code if they don't have that gap. The regulations around that are written for Austrians not other nationalities. All anyone looks at here is your latest QR code or certificate which only contains data about that jab / recovery and nothing else. Your medical history is not available for anyone who checks your code to see.

Maybe we should lay down a bet to see how many posts it takes before the question is asked again… Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris_n wrote:
ratechaser wrote:
Nikolauus wrote:

Which is great... and I fully agree with you... and clearly if masses of Brits were being forced to isolate for having their booster at 90-119 days then we'd all have heard about it by now.

But the problem is that this isn't what's written on the site. What it says is:

People can claim to have a booster vaccination if they have received a further vaccination at least 120 days after the second vaccination

It doesn't say "Austrian People"... and for text that's in English, on the U.K. embassy's website, any reasonable non-snowhead person might see that as applying to anyone of any nationality.

So I get it, and I'm not trying to be obtuse or Labour the point by bringing it up yet again. But I think it's important to realise that it will continue to confuse people as long as it's written this way...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My mate just dropped a bombshell, that on the austiran gov site it says apres is currently closed and theres a curfew at 10pm . Has anyone got experience that this is still in place ??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Redmaximo, that's correct, no apres this year, pubs strictly shut at 10pm, when they are open table service only, no singing or dancing. Some places are doing low key live music but certainly no mass singing of "Sweet Caroline", "Jonny Däpp" etc
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Cacciatore, Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Redmaximo, How's life under that rock? Bars are open with table service, but it's not “traditional” après. They have to close at 10pm. It will probably be in place until the end of the season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm too old to be out past 10 these days anyway, so as long as I can sit and have some gluhwein in a pilsbar when getting off the slopes, and maybe stamp my feet to the strains of So ein schoner Tag (which always comes around eventually in every Austria pilsbar I've ever been in) then I'll be happy.

Mind you, Mama Laudaaa seemed popular in Italy for some reason. And no one was sitting in the pilsbar there. I even got roped into a conga line Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does Austria still require a passenger locator form filled in for entry ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Roguevfr, I believe you only need to complete the form if you also need to do the quarantine – you can try and fill it in, but of you don't qualify (because you've had all your vaccinations etc.) it will boot you out will a message about not needing to do it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can someone try and clarify this, I have read, and reread the Austrian Embassy but it seems ambiguous to me.

I had Covid confirmed by the NHS 1st Jan and have since recovered and have my NHS Covid Pass back on my phone along with a Recovery Pass. I've had the 2 jabs last year plus the booster in Dec. For the life of me I can't be certain whether they require a PCR neg test or not??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@king key, not as of Monday. If you are travelling before then, then yes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, should have mentioned going on 29th Jan. So having had Covid at the beginning of the year won't require a PCR?, sorry if I appear to be repeating myself.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@Redmaximo, How's life under that rock?.

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
king key wrote:
Sorry, should have mentioned going on 29th Jan. So having had Covid at the beginning of the year won't require a PCR?, sorry if I appear to be repeating myself.

Two jabs plus booster no need for a PCR as of Monday. I'm travelling that weekend too and was just about to book PCR tests and thought I'll just check snowheads and see if there is more info and saw PCR tests were being removed!
ski holidays
Hi, hoping there's an Austrian travel guru lurking please? I've trawled back through the last 30 or so pages and couldn't find the information I needed so thought I'd ask here!

Would anyone please be able to tell me if it's necessary to pre-book for trains on the Austrian rail network, or is it possible to just get them on the day? My flight arrives into Vienna at 1220, so there isn't much wiggle room to catch the 1303 outbound, but, it might be possible, I've never flown into Vienna before so don't know how quick you can get away from a flight there. Alternatively, there is a 14:03 train, which is totally fine, but it seems that you need to book onto a train rather than book a fare. I'm not overly fussed about my departure time, just want to know which sort of flexibiity there is so that I can book my journey without worrying if I need to get this train or that.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
@bit_hehe, you can book onto a train, but there’s no need. Download one of the travel apps in advance and you can buy a ticket when you know your schedule, or just before you get on. You choose the time you want, but the ticket should be valid for a departure within 2 hours, so if you miss it and have to get the next one, it’s generally not a problem. Try ÖBB or VVT tickets app.

You would only need to book in advance if you were getting a special rate fare on a particular service.
snow report
Many thanks @Scarlet, answers my question perfectly Very Happy
snow conditions
Live update from Edinburgh Airport flying to Salzburg with Jet2, arrived at airport approx 2.5 hours before flight just in case of queues. Walked straight up to check in which had loads of staff, quick check of Covid pass and PCR, no questions asked about pre travel forms so that appears to definitely be off the agenda despite what their website says. All in all very smooth so far.
latest report
@bit_hehe, as Scarlet suggests, and from personal experience, the ÖBB Scotty app is extremely good for all forms of public transport.

Re Vienna airport: the train/airport system is quite well integrated. It’s about a 10 minute (max) walk from arrivals to the station, either over ground (walk out of the terminal, turn left and follow the signs to the Bahnhof, enter the building with lifts/stairs/escalator to the platforms. There is also a route inside…I can’t quite recall the exact directions, but it’s well signposted.

If you’re landing at 12.20, it might be a push to get the 13.03 train. I guess it will depend on how busy the arrivals is, but my guess is that by the time you’ve grabbed your luggage, it will be very tight.
latest report
Just as a quick addendum, if you do need to wait for the next train, the outside (mainly covered) walk to the station passes a nice little outside snack bar, with a covered seating area. The food is perfectly acceptable and they sell beer, too…and soft/hot drinks and other alcoholic beverages. I thought the prices were very reasonable.

The snack bar is literally right outside the foyer entrance to the lifts/stairs/escalators.
snow report
Using the OEBB app you can book seats separately to buying a ticket, it only costs a couple of Euros. If you are unsure which train you are going to be on it can be worth booking seats on two different trains and when you know which train you are going to use book the ticket .
ski holidays
@munich_irish, never thought of that, good idea!
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
, never thought of that, good idea!

Yep, thanks @munich_irish, that's an excellent tip!
latest report
Hi All, Still reading through the regulations on transit from Munich airport to Austria with children aged 6+. Anyone had experience of this please? Did the airline require tests for the children?
ski holidays
Just back from Bad Hofgastien this afternoon, LFT shows I'm all clear but Kim is positive. I'm due to fly out to Cervinia next Sunday, that's now up in the air. Shocked

So that is two of our group of 6 tested positive on return.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, If Kim is your partner, give it another 24 hrs and you'll get the magic red line!
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
….

If you’re landing at 12.20, it might be a push to get the 13.03 train. I guess it will depend on how busy the arrivals is, but my guess is that by the time you’ve grabbed your luggage, it will be very tight.

We came in on a fairly full A380. We would have made the 13:03 train, with 10 mins to spare, but for one thing… it was cancelled! Spent the next 2 hours sitting in a small coffee, after travelling for 28 hours. C’est la vie!

@bit_hehe, … if you travelling to St Anton, then the 14:03 train, at least on Sunday, requires a change at Landeck. You get to StA 30min earlier than the 3pm, but have the hassle of a connection. We decided that we would prefer to wait for a straight through.
snow report
I did a weekend in St Anton 2 weeks ago and to be fair it was far more lively than I thought it would be. The apres bars on the piste were pretty packed, if sitting only, but there was still a decent atmosphere. The bars in the town were pretty busy too. I wouldn’t be put off by the official government line that apres bars are supposed to be closed. It’s not playing out that way. However, they are really strict on the curfew and all the pubs had us marching out the doors by 9.55pm. Not too bothered about that since we had been drinking steadily since 3pm at the Moosewirt.

They were strict on the masks on the lift queues etc. As other posters have said. I was shouted at in front of scores of people for forgetting to put mine on.

As for the train, we took a train from Zurich to St Anton which was dead easy. There was hardly any border control on getting into Austria, we just had to change our mask from surgical to an FFP2 mask at that point. Farcical. I think train tickets are valid for 2 days, and we boooked them on the OBB website. I might be wrong on that, but as long as the prices for each train time are the same then I wouldn’t worry about pre booking your train too much. Alternatively you could just leggit to the station and if you get there in good time quickly buy the ticket on your phone as you wait on the platform. Incidentally, one of our group booked the ticket on the Trainline.com and one of the more stern ticket inspectors wouldn’t accept the Trainline.com app’s confirmation code, he wanted to see the OBB generated code that was emailed to my friend when he booked.

When we checked in at Manchester airport, we were asked to show various documents. When we met up with our friends who had flown with the same airline from Leeds Bradford, they had been asked to show different documents. I think it all depends on airport culture and who you get on the day.

Overall, it was well worth the effort, and the expense. And it all seems a lot easier from the 24th January as well… happy days!! Good luck all.
snow report
kb36 wrote:
Live update from Edinburgh Airport flying to Salzburg with Jet2, arrived at airport approx 2.5 hours before flight just in case of queues. Walked straight up to check in which had loads of staff, quick check of Covid pass and PCR, no questions asked about pre travel forms so that appears to definitely be off the agenda despite what their website says. All in all very smooth so far.

Snag re Innsbruck flight Edinburgh didn't make it off the ground due to poor weather Innsbruck
We were due on the return but due to canceled flight we are now in a hotel in the old town
Been out for some nice nosh
Apparently one flight left uk ended up in Munich before having a few trys at landing in Innsbruck before returning to UK
Some flights made it in and out with some delays
Would be more bothered if it was the start of holidays and not end
snow report
Thought this might be helpful to those looking to transfer through Germany to Austria with not fully vaccinated children.

It says on the following website ...

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/coronavirus?openAccordionId=item-2330838-1-panel

"Minor children of third-country nationals are allowed to enter Germany if they are fully vaccinated (see information under “Important” below) or if there is an urgent need to travel"

Then on this website it lists the acceptable reasons for "urgent need to travel"

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html

This includes "passengers in transit."

The rules for passengers in transit are as follows...

The traveller remains in Germany (as country of transit) only as long as absolutely necessary to travel directly to the country of destination or another transit country;

The traveller is permitted to enter the country of destination or another transit country

So as long as the requirements for Transit are met - I believe entry into Germany to travel to Austria is allowed for children yet to be vaccinated.
snow conditions
Anybody clear about using 'recovered status' ? The regulations seem to state that its valid for 180 days which we meet. The downloadable form states that the individual recovered in the last 90 days. For us its 100 days. So these seem to contradict?
snow conditions
@dedders, get the doctor to cross out the 90 and replace it with 100 the initial the modification
ski holidays
I'm ok with that but aren't Austrians strict on rules, as in amending official forms? May have to chance it
snow report
@dedders, the 180 day validity of a recovery certificate is correct. However, recovery alone is not enough to get you into Austria - you need three doses of the vaccine, or two doses plus recovery. If you are unvaccinated but have a recovery certificate, you will also need to produce a negative PCR. If your positive test was within the last 90 days, you may not be able to produce a negative PCR - in that case, the downloadable Annex I form is a way to have a GP certify that you have recently recovered, which avoids the need for the PCR test.

The Annex I form is only acceptable as an alternative to a PCR if you tested positive less than 90 days before. Amending it to 100 days will not work, as that exemption does not exist.

Even where it is relevant, getting a GP to sign that form is a bit hit and miss - some have achieved it with their local GP, some (including me) have been refused, and some have paid for a private medical certificate as an alternative.

See the section on "When you need a PCR Test" at https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
snow report
@dedders, There is a form that you can download from the Austria.info website which does not state 90 days. It’s a bit tricky to find but if you go to the FAQ’s section and click on the ‘what kind of negative tests are acceptable’ question, you’ll find it there.
Hope that helps
ski holidays
Thanks all.Great information. If a GP won't do it, will any doctor do ? Family friend who is a registrar?
snow report
@dedders, the form requires "place, date, signature and seal of the certifying medical doctor" - i.e. it has to be officially issued. In effect, without something which looks like an official seal/stamp, it may be rejected. I have no doubt that a reasonable forgery or semi-official letter would pass the (very quick) checks, but of course if it doesn't then you get fined or jailed, and/or deported from Austria with a note on your immigration record to prevent you coming back.

If your infection was 100 days before your arrival, either arrange the booster, or take the PCR test. You'll most likely need the PCR test anyway if you're clutching at the straw of the Annex I letter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy