Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@NickyJ, much of Austria is now yellow on their own traffic light system - it was mostly green until recently
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
@NickyJ, much of Austria is now yellow on their own traffic light system - it was mostly green until recently

Ah thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latest details of number of cases etc can be found at https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/fd4701f7653543d4afdccd2a386e639b
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Current infection rate per 100k UK 11 , Austria 18. This is the measurement that the UK government is using.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, it’s been ticking up for weeks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quarantine 2 weeks in return to U.K. now.....crazy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Markymark29, It’s frustrating, but surely sensible to try to reduce transmission of a deadly disease?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bad news for Bennyboy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, if you look st the link@munich_irish, Shared you will see their cases are on an upward trend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JimboS, yup

Going to move holiday to Bavaria instead assuming Germany not on list. Or hop over to Italy instead (but that means changing flights
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1, not sure were you are flying into, I know it’s somewhere in this thread, I think it was Munich, however just incase if its an Austrian airport you will need to quarantine on the return to the UK
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@radar, Munich. And we will leave before the 22nd. So no issues.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
:@Bennyboy1, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there a website with a table comparing the prevalence (e.g. cases / 100,000) of Covid in different countries? Might be useful in trying to second guess the government's next steps.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, here’s three , the last one is what the government is looking at cases per 100k

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1110187/coronavirus-incidence-europe-by-country/
ski holidays
WHO data is here https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/e6acbf22cc4f4b85949f59734244ba71 it has a "league table" of cases in the past 14 days.
snow conditions
The media seems to have 'conveniently ignored' how the daily death rate from covid in most European countries is now negligible, and has been for weeks. Not been more than 2 a day in Austria since 2nd July.

All the media talks about is a significant increase in cases, which undoubtedly is happening (as it's going to be with increased movement) but when death rates in countries have either been negligible for weeks, or have gone from 15 deaths a day at the start of July to 7 a day now, the figures suggest that covid isn't anything like as life threatening to most people as it previously was.

Scaremongering at its worst.
latest report
radar wrote:
@denfinella, here’s three , the last one is what the government is looking at cases per 100k

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1110187/coronavirus-incidence-europe-by-country/

Isn't the last link the historical total number of cases per 100k for each country since the start of the pandemic? Wouldn't the government be looking at the current number of new cases per 100k for each country for deciding whether to impose or relax quarantine at the moment?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 20-08-20 22:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@pavel38, cowdoo. You either respond to the crisis or you don’t. At the start the UK was too slow. Now you are saying too fast. Frankly too boring. Too many dull hot takes. As transmission rises in other countries it makes sense to respond. Despite the UK centric perspective of many on this forum this approach is hardly unique to the UK.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 20-08-20 22:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@nozawaonsen I'm saying there's no need to respond at all at the present time - it's absurd that people have to quarantine when returning from a country that's been experiencing at most 2 deaths a day from covid for the last 7 weeks. If countries carry on behaving like this then nothing will ever return to any kind of normal.
snow conditions
pavel38 wrote:
@nozawaonsen I'm saying there's no need to respond at all at the present time - it's absurd that people have to quarantine when returning from a country that's been experiencing at most 2 deaths a day from covid for the last 7 weeks. If countries carry on behaving like this then nothing will ever return to any kind of normal.
I might be missing something obvious, but isn't it the number of current infections in the destination country which is the relevant factor, rather than the number of recent deaths the country has experienced, if reducing the chain of infection in the UK is the purpose of the quarantine policy?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, yup.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, @pavel38

It doesn't really affect me now as I got holiday done and dusted but do think the point on death rates is a reasonable one. Cases, for the time being at least, seem to be in a younger cohort now and the "crisis" was really about health systems being overwhelmed and huge excess mortality. The "crisis" in Spring though may be a different "animal" to the "crisis" now. Increased testing as part of track and trace probably means milder cases being detected too so not all the increase is real.

Of course, governments have to respond and with the current state of knowledge and you can't blame them for being risk averse to some extent - but the fact remains that the strength of response to the crisis has trade-offs and I think it most unlikely that the full lockdowns get repeated unless deaths and hospitalisations start going through the roof again.
latest report
Quote:

I might be missing something obvious, but isn't it the number of current infections in the destination country which is the relevant factor, rather than the number of recent deaths the country has experienced, if reducing the chain of infection in the UK is the purpose of the quarantine policy?

Yep, it is all about the number of new infections. But they're rising everywhere, including in the UK. Yet daily deaths in Austria, Croatia, Germany (among many others) and even here in the UK are negligible. So what is quarantine achieving ? - we're just as likely to get covid joining the masses here going for a 'stay-cation' or 'eat out to help out.'

If more and more people are getting covid but virtually no-one is dying from is, as is the current trend in most European countries, surely that is actually pretty good news ?.

Or should we all stay locked indoors until there's not a single new case in the world or until a forced vaccination programme ?.
snow report
pavel38 wrote:
Yep, it is all about the number of new infections. But they're rising everywhere, including in the UK.
Thanks. Whatever one thinks of the quarantine policy, which I think a large number of countries are implementing in some shape or form, the death rate in the destination country doesn't seem to be a relevant factor, but the infection rate does.
snow conditions
The current approach in most (all?) European countries is to try to avoid national lockdowns at all costs. It therefore requires local lockdowns and an agile response to the risk of imported cases. This is apparent across Europe if you bother to look. The alternative is hugely costly national lockdowns which almost all European countries (and others) want to avoid. It means travel internally and certainly externally is likely to be fraught and frustrating for at the least the next six months if not longer. This will have substantial economic consequences, but these are now locked and loaded.
ski holidays
Quote:

The current approach in most (all?) European countries is to try to avoid national lockdowns at all costs. It therefore requires local lockdowns and an agile response to the risk of imported cases. This is apparent across Europe if you bother to look. The alternative is hugely costly national lockdowns which almost all European countries (and others) want to avoid. It means travel internally and certainly externally is likely to be fraught and frustrating for at the least the next six months if not longer. This will have substantial economic consequences, but these are now locked and loaded.

If I "bother to look ?" - err, I'm not disputing the factual accuracy of what you say, and I've 'bothered' to do enough research on the new infections and death rates in many countries, so take a step down from that high horse you're riding...

Containment measures don't seem to be working, either in this country or other countries, as reflected by the increase in new infections most countries are experiencing. The question for debate is whether containment, in whatever form, is both now and in the future (forget the past) an appropriate and proportionate response (given all the adverse consequences) to something that, in most European countries, is currently responsible for at most a handful of deaths per week, with that number ever declining.

If countries carry on like this, then I can't see how any of us are going to be travelling abroad to ski this winter.
latest report
Someone please start a Covid-19 thread!!

@Alastair Pink, I’ll share the weekly one in the morning, wrong link Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting question about whether foreign travel to allow skiing or restrictions to reduce transmission will be considered more important come winter.

Re high horses...

snow report
having a couple of days ago received an update from our travel insurance provider saying could book austria for after new year with full cover .It has now changed re F.O , can see its going to be tricky to book without the accommodation provider taking the booking without cancellation charges/deposit until a few days before arrival
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, The right one, Deaths per 100k of population,

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1139048/coronavirus-case-rates-in-the-past-7-days-in-europe-by-country/

You will need to expand to see the UK and Austria
latest report
pavel38 wrote:
Quote:

Yep, it is all about the number of new infections. But they're rising everywhere, including in the UK. Yet daily deaths in Austria, Croatia, Germany (among many others) and even here in the UK are negligible. So what is quarantine achieving ? - we're just as likely to get covid joining the masses here going for a 'stay-cation' or 'eat out to help out.'

If more and more people are getting covid but virtually no-one is dying from is, as is the current trend in most European countries, surely that is actually pretty good news ?.

Or should we all stay locked indoors until there's not a single new case in the world or until a forced vaccination programme ?.

Quarantine is stemming the infections rates to help the spread, especially to the old & vulnerable.
There are 9 million people over the age of 70 + the millions others in the vulnerable group.
Even if small 0.00x% got infected, it would overwhelm our NHS. The NHS is not exclusive to Covid, but also other medical emergencies & routines.
snow conditions
@denfinella, An updated link.
Quote:

Alastair Pink, The right one, Deaths per 100k of population,

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1139048/coronavirus-case-rates-in-the-past-7-days-in-europe-by-country/

ski holidays
Thanks very much @radar and everyone else!
latest report
radar wrote:
@Alastair Pink, The right one, Deaths per 100k of population,

So AIUI Sweden and CH are on the verge of the naughty list? Portugal has got off by dropping to below 15/100k?

Powerful incentive for tourism based economies to undertest? Particularly when the threshold for UK "boycott" is so low.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Ireland not far off too, upward trend and just outside the naughty step, but coming up on the rails. That would be an interesting scenario I wonder if Bozo will want upset the Irish and affect cross-border movement with a quarantine right now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53826957
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, CH on the Scottish naughty step as of yesterday.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, CH on the Scottish naughty step as of yesterday.

A cunning plan to keep all the UK skiers for the Domestic (i.e Scottish) ski resorts.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Ireland not far off too, upward trend and just outside the naughty step, but coming up on the rails. That would be an interesting scenario I wonder if Bozo will want upset the Irish and affect cross-border movement with a quarantine right now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53826957

Why the hell not? A chance to put those paddies in their place with a reminder of how much their fate is tied to the UK rather than the EU, and some plausibile deniability that he truly DNGAF about the Good Friday Agreement?

On the other hand what with Brexit, Covid, Social Care and Education firmly on his plate as his legacy/cock ups maybe he doesn't want to add New Troubles to his to do list. Might jeopardise his ability to jaunt off for holibobs and shag new and interesting totty.
latest report
Quote:

A cunning plan to keep all the UK skiers for the Domestic (i.e Scottish) ski resorts.

Laughing She's misguided if so - I for one will certainly be going nowhere near Scotland for skiing, i'd park my skis up until FR, AUT, IT or CH let us back in before i'd be heading north, unless it'd be very north eg Norway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy