Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, be checking vaccine certificates soon BIG fines for those who dont have them!

Dont think anyone is suggesting not getting a PCR test.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
munich_irish wrote:
@TopGooner, why do you need a PCR test to go from Austria to UK via Germany, Germany doesnt require tests for fully vaccinated or transit and UK needs a 2 day LTF post arrival nothing pre departure?

From what I read, Germany requires PCR tests for going through the Austrian border to the airport. Sounds like transiting but not how they described it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TopGooner, No it doesnt. Austria is classified as a high risk area, as is the UK. If you are fully vaccinated (2 shots currently) no tests required when returning from a high risk area. You are also allowed to transit even if you are not fully vaccinated without a test though clearly better to be fully vaccinated. Regulations much clearer than the Austrian ones https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

You are supposed to fill in this form https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ but it is not required for transit though airlines insist on it to make their lives easier when travelling to Germany from UK.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The chances of Snowbombing happening in April are slim to none then I guess !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TopGooner wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@TopGooner, why do you need a PCR test to go from Austria to UK via Germany, Germany doesnt require tests for fully vaccinated or transit and UK needs a 2 day LTF post arrival nothing pre departure?

From what I read, Germany requires PCR tests for going through the Austrian border to the airport. Sounds like transiting but not how they described it.

Even if fully vaxed? I've not seen that, it's a bit worrying because i'm planning on doing exactly that in a couple of weeks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sah, No, read the next post after that one...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
@sah, No, read the next post after that one...

Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sah, Where you skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
@TopGooner, No it doesnt. Austria is classified as a high risk area, as is the UK. If you are fully vaccinated (2 shots currently) no tests required when returning from a high risk area. You are also allowed to transit even if you are not fully vaccinated without a test though clearly better to be fully vaccinated. Regulations much clearer than the Austrian ones https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

You are supposed to fill in this form https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ but it is not required for transit though airlines insist on it to make their lives easier when travelling to Germany from UK.

Transit was described as:

"persons catching a connecting flight who do not leave the transit zone of a passenger airport"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Infoblatt/2021/EN_MB_bf.pdf

"Any person who spent time in an area classified as an area of variants of concern, within the 10 days prior to entering the Federal Republic of Germany, must be in possession of a PCR test certificate. The certificate must be submitted for inspection by the carrier, or upon entry when requested by the Federal Police or the competent authority.

The basic quarantine period following a stay in a high-risk area is, as a rule, 10 days. If you submit proof of vaccination or recovery to https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de, your quarantine will end prematurely at the time of submission. The same applies to the submission of a test result; however the test may not have been conducted sooner than five days after entry, meaning that, in this case, the quarantine lasts for at least 5 days. In the case of children under the age of 6, the quarantine automatically ends at the end of the fifth day after entry.

 Following a stay in an area of variants of concern, the quarantine lasts, as a rule, a period of 14 days. In this case, there is no possibility of lifting the quarantine early (neither for vaccinated nor for recovered persons)"
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buchanan101 wrote:
dg3 wrote:
Just back from St Anton on Saturday after 6 day trip. Brilliant time, slopes busier than expected, but protocols all in pace. However, I was triple vaxxed and today tested positive on PCR - thank goodness the test to fly was scrapped or I'd be in the Innsbruck Covid prison now. Be careful Snowheads - that new variant is a wee rascal!

Have you previously had Delta? Hoping as I've had it I have an extra layer... there again Starmer has had the full house (I assume he was boosted) and still caught Omicron

Keep your mask on you'll be fine wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
@sah, Where you skiing?

For early Feb I'm trying to navigate the rules to fly into Zurich, stay in Stuben, fly back from Munich Confused Then later in Feb a trip to Serfaus via Innsbruck, that should be a bit easier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TopGooner, since the 4th of January the UK is no longer an "area of variant of concern" but a "high risk" area like practically everywhere else including Austria. The transit rule you quote is only relevant to a VoC area of which there are currently none. The RKI link I posted is the up to date official regulations. Currently for fully vaccinated individuals over 5 years old there are no restrictions or tests required to enter Germany from anywhere.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sah, a PCR test will cover you for both Switzerland & Austria assuming you have had 3 shots (anything else is hellishly complicated and unclear), though the chances of anyone checking after your arrival in Switzerland are very small. In theory the test should be less than 48 hours before your arrival in Austria, the chances of it being checked at the border are minimal and even if there was some unlikely random check once in St Anton you would have a perfectly valid test result and be perfectly legal. No further tests required for the return journey as I believe the UK is dropping tests from the end of the month, though currently a LTF test 2 days after arrival is required. Easy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
munich_irish wrote:

Hi Munich, sorry for polluting you with questions but my understanding of the requirements for flying into Germany from Dublin and then transferring by private bus to Austria is

Adults, all with booster = No restrictions
12 - 15 year olds, with one vaccine = Ninja pass required which will include PCR test before we leave Dubin.
Under 12s = Germany, need a lateral flow or PCR if they are 6 or over.
Austria, no restrictions so long as parents are fully vaccinated.

You suggest in your post above that U12s don't need tested but my reading is if they are over 6 they do. I hope you are correct.
ski holidays
@peter2512, wont get involved in what the Austrian rules may or may not be, too complicated for anyone without 3 shots Puzzled

Germany is much clearer, anyone over 5 years old coming from a high risk area, which Ireland is, must quarantine until either proof of vaccination is provided at any time or a negative test result is provided but no earlier than the fifth day of quarantine. This means that anyone who is fully vaccinated is free of restrictions once the vaccine certificate is provided (eg when checking in for flight for filled in arrivals form). The issue for those not fully vaccinated (clearly the case for many children) is that a pre flight test is not relevant. However transit is being allowed as long as you travel directly out of the country. I cant tell you if the airlines might be insisting on tests in the absence of a vaccination certificate but it seems likely (the regulations below suggest a LTF is fine but the airlines often err on the safe side). To quote the regulations

Quote:
• Special obligation to furnish proof: Travellers who spent time in a high-risk area must
carry with them a test result or proof of vaccination or recovery and, if demanded by the
carrier, present such proof for the purpose of carriage. In case of a stay in an area of
variants of concern, only a PCR test result is admitted.

• The proof must be uploaded via the upload portal of the digital registration on entry at
https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de. Travelers should use the individual link on the
registration confirmation (PDF document) for this purpose.

• Obligation to quarantine: Travellers who spent time in a risk area must make their way
directly to their home upon arrival and remain isolated there for a period of ten days (home
quarantine). Persons who have spent time in an area of variants of concern prior to entry,
must quarantine for 14 days.

• Ending quarantine: Quarantine at home may be ended early if proof of recovery, proof
of vaccination or a negative test result is submitted via upload portal of the digital
registration on entry at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de. The individual link on the
registration confirmation (PDF document) should be used to upload the proof of recovery,
proof of vaccination or a negative test result. Quarantine can be ended in each case from
the time the negative test result is submitted. If you spent time in a high-risk area prior to
entry, the relevant test may not be conducted earlier than five days after entry (test to
release possible from day five following entry). Vaccinated and recovered persons can end
the quarantine from the time when the proof of vaccination or recovery is transmitted via
the entry portal. If the transmission takes place before entry (strongly recommended), no
quarantine is needed.
snow conditions
Munich_irish accurately summarises the current Austrian rules - with three vaccines you just need a PCR test taken 48 hours before entry. Even for those of us who speak fluent German, the rules for everyone else are an almost unnavigable minefield so I won’t presume to comment - except to remark if at all possible get yourself triply vaccinated before you enter….and yes there are plenty of checks both at the airport and in Austria itself (ef in every non essential shop & all bars/hotels/restaurants)…
latest report
I'm looking at doing my second skiing trip but things have changed since the last one.
As a triple vaxed adult I'm flying into Salzburg to meet some friends armed (hopefully) with my negative PCR test. I then plan on skiing in Italy and driving to Salzburg to return home 7 days later.
Do I need a second negative PCR to cross from Italy to Austria?
ski holidays
gresty wrote:
I'm looking at doing my second skiing trip but things have changed since the last one.
As a triple vaxed adult I'm flying into Salzburg to meet some friends armed (hopefully) with my negative PCR test. I then plan on skiing in Italy and driving to Salzburg to return home 7 days later.
Do I need a second negative PCR to cross from Italy to Austria?

Italy is not an 'area of variant concern', so what you need is:

Quote:
Everyone entering Austria from a non-virus variant area needs to show
- Proof of full vaccination (2 jabs) OR proof of past infection (the medical document needs to show the date of recovery – (for guests from the UK: an NHS email/text of a positive test is not sufficient)
- AND a negative PCR test (valid for 72 hours) OR proof of a booster jab (booster is valid from the first day)

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

As you are boosted, you do not need a PCR to travel from Italy to Austria.
ski holidays
For anyone rushing to get the booster… 120 days between 2nd jab and booster is required by Austria (according to UK Gov site)

“Although the UK has become a virus variant area with effect from 25 December 2021, travellers from the UK (and the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway) can still enter Austria without the need to quarantine provided they are either: triple vaccinated (with the third vaccination done at least 120 days after the second); or double vaccinated following recovery from COVID (where the first vaccination was at least 21 days after a positive test or antibodies); or double vaccinated with Johnson and Johnson. Additionally, travellers from the UK will need to present a negative PCR test no older than 48 hours at time of entry.”

I believe the UK stipulates 61 days between the 2nd and 3rd jabs at the moment, so this disconnect could cause some people issues. Puzzled
latest report
TopGooner wrote:
For anyone rushing to get the booster… 120 days between 2nd jab and booster is required by Austria (according to UK Gov site)

“Although the UK has become a virus variant area with effect from 25 December 2021, travellers from the UK (and the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway) can still enter Austria without the need to quarantine provided they are either: triple vaccinated (with the third vaccination done at least 120 days after the second); or double vaccinated following recovery from COVID (where the first vaccination was at least 21 days after a positive test or antibodies); or double vaccinated with Johnson and Johnson. Additionally, travellers from the UK will need to present a negative PCR test no older than 48 hours at time of entry.”

I believe the UK stipulates 61 days between the 2nd and 3rd jabs at the moment, so this disconnect could cause some people issues. Puzzled

This one has come up a few times and the consensus based on actual experience is that they don't care about the 120 day gap and in fact it may be an error in the text as 120 days is the minimum period that is required between 2nd dose and booster for anyone getting jabbed in Austria.

Put it this way, it's a long way down the list of things I'm concerned about right now! If it really was a problem, we'd have heard about hordes of Brits being turned away at the border...
snow report
Yep, agreed. Fair point.
latest report
Apologies if this has been covered before. Im getting paranoid before my trip, so want to ask the question. Where do the PCR tests get checked, in Austria or when you board your flight in the UK ?
Ive got my PCR test booked 48 hours before my flight. But 49 hours before getting in to Austria. Im sure itll be fine, but you never know atm.
ski holidays
Redmaximo wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered before. Im getting paranoid before my trip, so want to ask the question. Where do the PCR tests get checked, in Austria or when you board your flight in the UK ?
Ive got my PCR test booked 48 hours before my flight. But 49 hours before getting in to Austria. Im sure itll be fine, but you never know atm.

People have been denied entry to Austria in those exact circumstances. Rearrange your PCR appointment and/or get one with a quicker turnaround time.
latest report
Yeah fair enough, better safe to push it back a couple of hours. Thank you
snow report
I'd push it back a few more than that to be honest - flight gets delayed by a few hours and all of a sudden your test isn't valid anymore. Happened to about 100 tourists recently. Personally I'm flying at 06:30 on a Saturday morning and I'm getting a test 16:30 on Thursday to have results arrive on Friday
ski holidays
Redmaximo wrote:

I believe they also get checked when checking in/dropping off baggage? I'd agree with pushing it back a few hours, if not a day if possible.
ski holidays
hogofwar wrote:
Redmaximo wrote:

I believe they also get checked when checking in/dropping off baggage? I'd agree with pushing it back a few hours, if not a day if possible.

They get checked at both check in and at immigration in Austria, but the 48 hour rule applies to the time you land in Austria.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
the 48 hour rule applies to the time you land in Austria.

I think more accurately the time you get seen at the immigration booths. And allegedly without accounting for the 1 hour time difference between Austria and UK, so plan on 47 hours as an absolute max, allowing for all possible delays
snow report
Re teenager (14 years) 2nd jab - does he have to have it at least 14 days prior to travel or are they just checking that he has two?
ski holidays
@Redmaximo, we were checked before bag drop by Easyjet at Gatwick on Monday, and the given a “good to travel” slip. We were checked again at Innsbruck, and most restaurants and shops are looking for vaccination status, at least in St. Anton.
snow conditions
@Redmaximo , yes EasyJet checked things first and then at Salzburg the passport control only looked at my passport.
Once through the Army we’re there and they were making sure your papers were in order. All very polite though and it wasn’t a problem.
The first Austrian beer tasted good though and I’m glad to have made the journey.
I’ve been in 8 seater gondolas and packed buses and cable cars but everyone wears masks and it’s working well. Checked myself twice in 5 days with a LF kit and I’m still OK.
snow report
TopGooner wrote:

The 120 days thing is causing a big problem in Austria for Austrians as the health system won't generate a QR code ifthe gap is less than 120 days. For everyone else there is no problem, as long as you have the QR code / certificate or whatever for your booster available that is fine.
snow conditions
A short report from Ski Welt - we came by car and no problem driving through Germany except that all mway cafes/restaurants are closed ( same in Netherlands)

Crossing from Germany to Austria at Kufstein was straightforward and no check but there was a huge queue on the motorway going from Austria to Germany.
Here, on the mountains nobody wanted to see vaccination details as you have to be checked to get a lift pass but FFP2 masks on all lifts and in bars/restaurants and virtually everyone is complying. It’s very quiet and pistes are great
snow report
Not sure if this is going to affect anyone here, maybe some Irish people. The German authorities have announced that a single shot of J&J vaccine will no longer count as fully vaccinated, anyone who has had one must get another shot to be counted as "fully vaccinated" (suspect that will soon be 2 more shots as many places are now 2G+ ie either 2 shots + a test or 3 shots). I would assume that this will impact on the rules for entry to Germany and who is allowed in without having to quarantine. This will mean a very similar situation to that which applies in Austria.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/coronavirus-impfung-johnson-johnson-booster-2g-regel-1.5510939
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Not sure if this is going to affect anyone here, maybe some Irish people. The German authorities have announced that a single shot of J&J vaccine will no longer count as fully vaccinated, anyone who has had one must get another shot to be counted as "fully vaccinated" (suspect that will soon be 2 more shots as many places are now 2G+ ie either 2 shots + a test or 3 shots). I would assume that this will impact on the rules for entry to Germany and who is allowed in without having to quarantine. This will mean a very similar situation to that which applies in Austria.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/coronavirus-impfung-johnson-johnson-booster-2g-regel-1.5510939

Yes from January 3rd Austria no longer recognised single shot J&J as fully vaccinated and booster shot was required,
latest report
Re 120 day thing, we moved our trip from Kitz to Corvara becaiuse of that but (I forgot) still flew into Innsbruck. No-one checking gaps, but were checking dates on tests.
latest report
Does this suggest no requirement to PCR test from Monday?

https://www.derstandard.at/jetzt/livebericht/2000132647355/1000253480/erneut-hoechstwert-bei-sieben-tage-inzidenz-in-deutschland
snow report
Ghost Dog wrote:
Re 120 day thing, we moved our trip from Kitz to Corvara becaiuse of that but (I forgot) still flew into Innsbruck. No-one checking gaps, but were checking dates on tests.

Good to hear anecdotal evidence of that Smile

As many ‘locals’ here have said, on many occasions over the numerous pages, there is zero interest in the time between 2nd and 3rd (booster) jabs. Only that the 3rd has been administered.
snow conditions
blondends wrote:
Does this suggest no requirement to PCR test from Monday?

https://www.derstandard.at/jetzt/livebericht/2000132647355/1000253480/erneut-hoechstwert-bei-sieben-tage-inzidenz-in-deutschland

I’m not sure that relates to travellers into Austria. The government are not due to review any COVID measures until 31st January (as I understand it).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy