Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I mean, when doing the PCR test....what's to stop people just swigging listerine on the drive in and scraping the inside of their cheek when they test?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Timberwolf, if the result had come back positive, the result would have been notified to the NHS, who would have said "yes of course it was, you had a positive test 13 days ago, what did you expect?"

There is no requirement to isolate unless you present an infection risk. While PCR tests return a simple positive or negative result, the underlying data is a number (CT Value) which in my case was 39.62 - interpretation of this varies, but typically a value of >30 equates to a negative result, and anything under 30 to a positive result. See https://www.science.org/content/article/one-number-could-help-reveal-how-infectious-covid-19-patient-should-test-results and https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycle-threshold-ct-in-sars-cov-2-rt-pcr

A result of >35 basically means you have a very low level of virus in your system, either because you were very recently infected (hours, not days), or have recovered and the test is picking up residue
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pastorius, what impact do you expect Listerine to have on the genetic material of the virus? It may kill the virus in that location, but the DNA is still present, plus a decent lab test has controls to ensure that there is adequate (human) genetic material on the swab before the result is valid. If you fail to swab, or contaminate it with food residue or chemicals, it will show up and you'll get an "inconclusive" result or a void test.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got twins 16 year olds, both will be double vaccinated and one has had covid. Not possible to be boostered as were only 16 in November. what are the entry requirements? Can’t make sense of it!! Bloody stupid to put 16 and 17 year olds in adult category!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is for Austria
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr wrote:
@Pastorius, what impact do you expect Listerine to have on the genetic material of the virus? It may kill the virus in that location, but the DNA is still present, plus a decent lab test has controls to ensure that there is adequate (human) genetic material on the swab before the result is valid. If you fail to swab, or contaminate it with food residue or chemicals, it will show up and you'll get an "inconclusive" result or a void test.

I thought alcohol may denature it, maybe I am wrong!! Not sure how the test works. Swab the inside of your cheek and there would be plenty of genetic material there but less likely to be the nasties. I will just do it properly because I'd rather not spread covid and I can reorganise my trip if need be, but I have wondered if there is any way that they stop people doing just that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@woodworm, the guidance at https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations suggests that those under 18s born before 1/9/2006 can enter with two vaccine doses and a negative PCR.

The one who has recovered does not need a PCR.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
woodworm wrote:
Got twins 16 year olds, both will be double vaccinated and one has had covid. Not possible to be boostered as were only 16 in November. what are the entry requirements? Can’t make sense of it!! Bloody stupid to put 16 and 17 year olds in adult category!

Double jabbed and boosted, plus a neg PCR (that's what I think you need). Recovery counts as boosted so best of luck telling one they can't go!

Also applies to some 15 yr olds (which is what I am looking at). Thankfully she has had covid otherwise there seems to be no way around it for a small age group of 15-18 who have not had covid. Oh, and good luck getting proof of recovery for that age group - My GP refused!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ousekjarr wrote:
@woodworm, the guidance at https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations suggests that those under 18s born before 1/9/2006 can enter with two vaccine doses and a negative PCR.

I think they need proof of recovery as well. - as the recovery equates to a booster.

Fourth bullet point of your attached link in the section "Rules for children and teenagers" guess it's the UK thing that adds the need.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ousekjarr wrote:

I think this is wrong. The one who has recovered does not need a BOOSTER. Both need a neg PCR
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robandliza wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

I think this is wrong. The one who has recovered does not need a BOOSTER. Both need a neg PCR

I agree with this.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, apologies - it is 3 vaccinations, or 2 plus recovery, and a mandatory PCR. The rules are complex and difficult to read at the best of times...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is the clearest info I've found but in German
https://www.sichere-gastfreundschaft.at/holiday-ninja-pass
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
woodworm wrote:
The rules are structured around what happens in Austria and revolves around school years. The ninja pass works for children who are of compulsory school age, everyone else is considered to be adult.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris_n wrote:
woodworm wrote:
The rules are structured around what happens in Austria and revolves around school years. The ninja pass works for children who are of compulsory school age, everyone else is considered to be adult.

Exactly. Well said. The rules in Austria are essentially for Austrians/those who elect to live in Austria. The rules may not suit everyone else but calling them stupid is…well…stupid. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Pastorius wrote:
I mean, when doing the PCR test....what's to stop people just swigging listerine on the drive in and scraping the inside of their cheek when they test?

ousekjarr wrote:
If you fail to swab, or contaminate it with food residue or chemicals, it will show up and you'll get an "inconclusive" result or a void test.

Correct. I did that (didn't realise it'd impact the test if more than 30 mins in advance) & the PCR came back as "Inconclusive". Had to dash back the next day for a second (FoC thankfully) test. This was for a "72 hr prior to departure" country though, not Austria which mandates 48hr prior to arrival...

In my case, getting a late PM (5:45pm) test tomorrow for a Sat morning departure to VIE so fingers crossed...
snow report
Anyone in the know know when there is a review date for restrictions on brits arriving in Austria?

Thank you
latest report
sussexmartlet wrote:
Anyone in the know know when there is a review date for restrictions on brits arriving in Austria?

Thank you

The current regulations are in place until (inclusive of) 31st Jan 2022.

Source: https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
snow report
Bit of a nonsense if France is not now on the list. And judging by the number of daily deaths Germany should be too…
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
wasley wrote:
we leave uk Sunday 06.55 and land 09.50
I'm a Bit worried as last time we had a flight delay and very heavy traffic from Munich to Kitzbhul

You are unlikely to be stopped by road, but if you are delayed and concerned, you can get another test in Munich airport when you land.]]

facedown wrote:
The real pain is masks on a 2 man chairlift with no one about and minus 10 degrees but I suppose there’s a job to be done and there’s a consensus that one size fits all is best

You don't need to wear FFP2 on the old 2-man chairs, and I haven't seen anyone enforcing this. Use your buff.

We certainly had the checks and lift stoppeD by some jobs worth and today I was ordered to put on my mask whilst outside at a mountain restaurant talking on the phone
snow conditions
What are the chances Austria drops its negative test for entry requirement? With omicron cases rocketing throughout Europe it seems that, with 5 weeks to go until our trip, it will be hard to avoid catching it. A PCR will detect infection for weeks after recovery so the tourist industry will be hard hit by people cancelling at short notice.
ski holidays
Hello - new snow head here but have been lurking for ages and had loads of useful information so thank you! One very specific question:

What is the definition of “fully vaccinated” for 12 -15 year olds (for the purposes of testing requirements during the stay, rather than entry requirements) Trying to work out whether a twice-jabbed 15 year old will require the ninja pass, when we have seen some sources imply that it is for those who are “not double jabbed”.

If she needs to test when we’re out there, we’ll cancel (as obviously can’t risk getting stuck out there isolating) but if her vax record is sufficient then that would be great. All the websites, no matter how official looking, seem to have a disclaimer on, so we can’t work out what is official and what might change (small window of opportunity to cancel and rebook elsewhere - but I’d be off to Obergurgl like a shot if at all possible…)
snow report
For the locals, what is the political chat about the fast rising number of infections, alarm or 'its as expected'?
latest report
I'm not a local, but I've been following a number of Austrian news outlets closely for a few weeks. It's pretty much as expected, I'm heading out this Sunday and am not concerned. They have tight restrictions in place already (masks, unvac lockdown, curfews etc.). Omicron is becoming old news now and it's widely known that the "ride if out" approach is best. In the last GECKO (SAGE equivalent) meeting they announced lower quarantines and enhanced mask wearing. That's far from a lockdown. Their hospital numbers are still going down nicely too. A lockdown at this stage would have almost no impact on case numbers - if they were going to lockdown it would have been done weeks ago.

The ski regions of Tyrol and Salzburg have the highest case numbers and they've just announced some tightenting to the masks in Ischgl and St Anton:
"The state of Tyrol and the district authority of Landeck have ordered the expansion of the FFP2 mask requirement outdoors in heavily frequented places and streets in Ischgl and St. Anton am Arlberg - in addition to the existing nationwide regulation. The ordinance applies from Thursday midnight and expires on January 20th."
snow conditions
@JimboS, Austria has a comparatively low number of cases see https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/ead3c6475654481ca51c248d52ab9c61 much lower than Ireland, France, UK, Denmark, Holland etc

The headline on the Tiroler Tageszeitung (Innsbruck) live blog https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus says "The number of Omikron cases is increasing in Austria, the situation in hospitals is stable" which probably sums up the situation in most places.

I get the feeling that the change in Chancellor has meant a somewhat more cautious approach (the restrictions on Denmark, Holland, Norway & UK no longer make any sense) though in the Tirol the government is pushing to relax the measures quicker than elsewhere.
latest report
Austrian cases rising rapidly as Omicron moving from North/West to the east of Europe. Same as UK levels per capita now but still a long way behind France which now has Omicron on top of an already very significant Delta outbreak - the Austrian lockdown was probably very well timed as that squashed Delta.

Highest ever Austrian number at 17,006 yesterday (though that's one day's numbers, so may be misleading). Very soon more likely to catch Omicron in Austria than UK (probably already the case in Tirol v London)

The main worry for Omicron will be further east in Europe which have considerably lower vaccination levels.
ski holidays
Good, just heading out for my PCR test, fingers crossed for that and that panic does not set in.
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:

I get the feeling that the change in Chancellor has meant a somewhat more cautious approach (the restrictions on Denmark, Holland, Norway & UK no longer make any sense) though in the Tirol the government is pushing to relax the measures quicker than elsewhere.

Thats what I was alluding to earlier - what are the chances that UK comes off Austria’s ‘variant of concern’ list any time soon such that a PCR test (which may remain positive weeks after recovery) to enter gets dropped ? Is there a date when the rules are being reconsidered?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TyroleanWaltz, welcome as a poster after a long lurk!

My reading of the rules is that entry is relatively simple: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
Quote:
Teenagers (12 or over and born on or after 1 September 2006) can use the first PCR test of their Holiday Ninja Pass to enter Austria.

So a negative PCR test is required before arrival, currently within 48 hours before travel.

Once in Austria, the requirement is to meet the 2G rules to be able to access restaurants, hotels, and the lifts, just like everyone else - they have no idea whether you arrived yesterday, or 2 months ago, so the entry requirements are irrelevant at that point. The guidance says:
Quote:
To proof (sic) your “2-G” status you can use the NHS Covid app or the EU Covid Pass. Printed versions and medical certificates of vaccination or recovery are also accepted. If your certificate is not in English or German please download this form.

Full vaccination

Two-dose vaccinations are currently valid for 270 days after the second or any additional dose. There need to be at least 14 days in between the first and second jab and 120 days between the second and third one.

Also, for the 2G rule once admitted to Austria: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

[quote]Rules for children and teenagers
Children under 12 years are currently exempt from the „2-G” rule (exemption: In Vienna, children from the age of 6 require an entry test).
Teenagers (12 or over and born on or after 1 September 2006) who are not fully vaccinated or have not recovered from Covid, can obtain "2-G" status with the so-called "Holiday Ninja Pass". Regular testing is needed as well as documenting the results in the pass. Please check out the Holiday Ninja Pass FAQ and download the English version of the pass here. Teenagers who are double-jabbed can simply use their vaccination proof.
For teenagers born before 1 September 2006, the “2-G” rule applies. [/qupte]

Note that a booster is not specified - in common with the UK, Austria has not yet got to the point where boosters for 12-15 year olds are relevant. If they meet that requirement, then the Holiday Ninja Pass is not necessary but it does present a quicker and simpler way to demonstrate to anyone who asks that the kids are covered, and there may be cases where establishments want to see it and won't accept anything else if they don't understand the rules in detail.

None of this is simple, and the official version is the German original. Interpretation of that for UK travellers is the challenge, and that's why there are multiple sites all with disclaimers.
latest report
@melandnick, the current rules are reportedly in place until the end of January. Can't win - people complain that the rules change too often and with minimal notice, and then they complain when the rules are in place long after they became irrelevant. rolling eyes
snow report
@melandnick, There is a suggestion that they are due to be reviewed at the end of the month but I havent seen anything definite on that. Personally I dont see any signs the Austrian government is going the change the regulations in the near future but maybe (hopefully!) I am wrong. I am afraid the issues some UK tourists have with tests etc come very low down the list of priorities for the Government in Vienna. For the winter tourist lobby as long as the Germans, Dutch, Czechs etc can come than they arent going to make too much fuss.
snow report
I dont think anyone has ever complained that restrictions have been removed without enough warning
snow conditions
@Adam9, oh they have, when things opened up again some hospitality places struggled because they had no staff in place and also no supplies, so while they were legally allowed to be open and some of the support measures were withdrawn, they couldn't actually trade for a week or two. Places which had furloughed staff were generally OK, but seasonal operations who hadn't arranged staff while lockdown was active were caught out as their ramp up period was (much) more than one day.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@melandnick, There is a suggestion that they are due to be reviewed at the end of the month but I havent seen anything definite on that. Personally I dont see any signs the Austrian government is going the change the regulations in the near future but maybe (hopefully!) I am wrong. I am afraid the issues some UK tourists have with tests etc come very low down the list of priorities for the Government in Vienna. For the winter tourist lobby as long as the Germans, Dutch, Czechs etc can come than they arent going to make too much fuss.

The Dutch rules are the same - but of course they will rarely if at all be inspected for the 48 hour PCR test on entry to Austria.

Agree though - we aren't that significant as a % of visitors (though I suspect reasonably significant in a few resorts like Obergurgl). More significant as % of foreign skiers in France.

I'm preparing to need to have the 48hr test in late Feb, though I am hoping it no longer applies in early April
snow conditions
Fair point, I'm sure they'd like more notice but if it was a choice between removing the restrictions now or giving notice now and removing the restrictions in 2 weeks they'd choose the first option.
snow conditions
the ups and downs of entry regs eh!, now need a PCR for Austria at end of month, but looks like a self administered lat flow will do for France. I appreciate we all need to be neg to travel but this would be less stress and cost imo. Oh well c'est la vie.
snow conditions
I assume randox in-clinic tests are able to be cancelled for a full refund if regulations change? I might just go ahead and book one now just in case.
snow report
Been waiting for at least 10 days for any kind of acknowledgement of processing a PCR test cancellation refund I sent via a online form

"Thank you for contacting us.

Due to the unscheduled announcement, we are experiencing an unprecedented volume of enquiries. We are working extremely hard to respond to everyone and thank you for your patience.

If you are awaiting a refund, this will be dealt with in due course and we would kindly ask that you do not send multiple requests.

If you require a Day 2 PCR test to replace a Day 2 lateral flow test we would encourage you to place a new order as soon as possible. Please note we cannot exchange lateral flow tests for PCR day 2 tests.

Kind regards

Randox "
snow conditions
So having not been on here for a week, i figured it was time to give a cautious tale to all who are thinking of traveling to Austria in the immediate future.

For the record i am a fan of Austria, it is possibly my 2nd favorite country in the world (i'm Scottish, so Scotland clearly the greatest nation on the planet) so this is not a bash at Austria, just a tale of BE CAREFUL.

So my wife and i were both due to fly on Saturday the 7th Jan for a two week trip, my wife unfortunately caught covid on December 20th, that then started a mad panic over self isolation and recovery, especially as on Dec 25th the new / current PCR test rule came into force. She was concerned that with it only being 18 days until travel she would still test positive via PCR or that she would infect me and i would be unable to recover in time to get a negative test.

Anyway we got through christmas in isolation and i managed to stay negative on both PCR and LTF tests. The week before we were due to travel I self isolated, in advance of the PCR, we both booked Randox PCR tests for the friday before the flight, aware of the implications of timebound test results. We both used LTF tests everyday including the Friday test day....all negative, we both felt well / strong and started packing for our trip. Friday tests results came back and my wife was negative and I was positive......remember i had isolated the whole week, and tested negative on LTF, even on the friday.

We had to spend friday night cancelling flights / car hire / apartments / hotels etc
British airways gave us a voucher no questions asked, our hotel gave us a full refund, easy peasy.....but our apartment which was booked via the tourist board, who website has a whole section on covid booking safety and how they will ensure no money lost etc etc simply told us we had to claim via our travel insurance and we were not entitled to a refund.

So the moral of the story folks is the requirement for a PCR is basically a crap shoot, you can be triple jabbed, self isolate for a week before test and still somehow come up positive......I'm still fine and testing negative now.

Happy to be healthy and have no complications but as we are trying to rebook now for march i will be avoiding anywhere (sadly Austria included) which requires a PCR as you just dont know.
snow conditions
enduroaid wrote:

Happy to be healthy and have no complications but as we are trying to rebook now for march i will be avoiding anywhere (sadly Austria included) which requires a PCR as you just dont know.

You will need a Crystal Ball to make that booking
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy