Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, In that case, be aware that selling is a lot easier in the UK due to the much larger market and familiarity with eBay. Willhaben works, but it does take a while. Storage should be simple enough to find – loads of box centres around here. Not cheap though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, I found one, “Tauernstorage” that seems pretty cheap. I take your point about eBay in the U.K., which I’ve previously found very useful (not least in clearing a deceased relative’s house - just listed everything at 99p starting price and raised about £1,000). However Facebook Marketplace, Willhaben and Pinzgauer Boerse (1 & 2) have also proved useful and effective for both buying and selling.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just incase anyone comes on here to check on the topic Very Happy

Quote:

As Belgium, France and the Netherlands are on the naughty list I've updated my post with extra links, this is about driving to or from Austria and the countries you wold cross, there are no current restrictions on UK residents entering or leaving Germany. There is a link to the government site on transiting in a private vehicle at the bottom, check it if you are concerned on how to manage your journey through any of the above countries. If you are returning to the UK there is government form you need to complete, details below

Leaving the UK to enter France complete and print out: https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/3f/3f474b02-0e9f-4992-a3d8-4d4944cdcef3.pdf

Belgium entry requirements: https://unitedkingdom.diplomatie.belgium.be/en

Germany entry requirements : https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus

The Netherlands entry requirements: https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/qas-travel-restrictions-for-the-netherlands

Austria entry requirements: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

Crossing France, Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands this is the link to the the UK government transit rules for private vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors and scroll down for details .

Returning to the UK complete 48hrs before return : https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk
Apart from the french form, they are all links to official government sites.

You might want to consider some of these https://www.peebol.com/peebol-pocket-sized-toilet.html or this https://www.stressnomore.co.uk/uriwell-personal-toilet-81833.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@radar,it wouldn’t be Snowheads without a bit of thread drift Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, indeed, think on this one we have gone FWT Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies if this has already been covered on this or on one of the other threads discussing winter 20/21 but by coincidence I've just opened todays post and there is a letter to update the Covid-19 conditions on the travel insurance policy attached to a bank account I have.

Most of it is as expected but it also makes clear that if there is an FCO advisory against travel to the country when you book a trip then you are not covered for subsequent cancellation.

So, if Austria, or anywhere, get's added to Bozo's naughty list don't book it for a ski holiday until you check your travel policy and/or (if) it's back off it.

Perhaps an obvious one but it's possible that these lists will change again once the summer tourism season ends and countries are taken back off it before perhaps being added again if cases were to spike in the ski resorts by New Year. Some people might not think that booking so far in advance could be affected only to find that because of a technicality based on a previous episode they're not covered.

I read the other day that summer 21 bookings for Med resorts are at record levels for this time of this year and i wonder how many folks might have booked Spain, for example, not knowing that their insurance won't be valid if the same thing happens next summer?

I'm not sure what additional guarantees the T/O's are offering that might offset this risk but it's really just reinforcing my plan to wait and see and then book last minute if at all.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@robboj, Quite a few people seem to be taking the optimistic view that Austria will be open for business and probably not on any “naughty list”, and that, if the flights are cheap enough (or they’re driving), and the accommodation provider is understanding and easygoing (regarding payments up front) Cool , they have little to lose by securing their chosen holiday in their preferred resort. From what I hear, the Germans and the Dutch are not hanging back either.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robboj, you will find there’s been quite a bit on MSE (Money Saving Expert) about insurance companies and coverage.

With travel insurance if you book now to a country on the naughty list then you won’t be covered as you would be travelling against government advice, If you book and subsequently the government put it on the list then you would normally be covered, this is what’s covered on MSE as insurance companies are changing their policies.

Edit: There is an article in today’s Times on the plight of those booked to France
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, thanks, I realise that and I think most folks will atm. Longer term is where the problems may arise. It may first affect the winter market (for snow and sun) if some countries are taken off it and are then put back on. Insurers will just fall back on the status at the time of booking, regardless of how many times that might have changed in between times?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@radar, so, somewhat counterintuitively, there seems to be an argument for booking early, in case one’s chosen destination should be subsequently added to the “naughty list” and render any contemporaneously arranged insurance policy null and void. Although, if it were so added, that might of course be off-putting for many people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@robboj, my understanding is the regulator is looking at the insurance companies and the changing of terms and conditions, there was a thread about travel insurance on snowheads which had some good content, which prompted me to check my policy and how we stood.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
radar wrote:
@robboj, my understanding is the regulator is looking at the insurance companies and the changing of terms and conditions, there was a thread about travel insurance on snowheads which had some good content, which prompted me to check my policy and how we stood.

Thanks, will have a look.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@robboj, Quite a few people seem to be taking the optimistic view that Austria will be open for business and probably not on any “naughty list”, and that, if the flights are cheap enough (or they’re driving), and the accommodation provider is understanding and easygoing (regarding payments up front) Cool , they have little to lose by securing their chosen holiday in their preferred resort. From what I hear, the Germans and the Dutch are not hanging back either.

Not for me. I'm as much or may be more concerned about what the quality of the holiday will be as I am about it happening. If it is all restrictions and don't/can't do's then I just won't go to the Alps and have a few days out at the Scottish resorts instead, where I can pick my timing and conditions and be at anyone of them in couple of hours. Yes, I'm sure they'll be restrictions here too but I'd rather have spent my cash on a day where a mask in a gondola (not that there's many of them) will be the worst of it rather than a potential 'Butlins on Snow' at Alpine holiday prices.

If the continentals, or anyone else, want to do that then good luck to them, at least it will help places make it through til 21/22?

I'll keep my options open but I'm not booking anything in the current lottery of Bozo's or Nippy's 'whack-a-mole' bingo. Will wait and see what transpires. It may well be a book today to fly tomorrow holiday but definitely a package to have the security of a guaranteed return trip.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't see the big deal on mask wearing, get a neckie and just pull it up if you have to. We have now booked a self organised trip to Madonna in Dec and Crystal for Saalbach for Jan. Neither place is prescribed so insurance will pay out if it changes. No big deal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimboS wrote:
I don't see the big deal on mask wearing, get a neckie and just pull it up if you have to. We have now booked a self organised trip to Madonna in Dec and Crystal for Saalbach for Jan. Neither place is prescribed so insurance will pay out if it changes. No big deal.

Yes, I understand that, my first post was just to highlight that some folks might not join the dots between booking a country quarantined now for a holiday many months away but their insurance being affected by a future subsequent quarantine just because of when they booked? I agree, masks aren't an issue on the mountain, especially in January, but if there's a risk that i have to wear one everywhere else it definitely doesn't appeal. Might not be a problem if that's the case here too and I've got used to it but right now I only go where I need a mask if there's absolutely no choice whatsoever. Which has been thankfully rare.
latest report
@robboj, My best guess is that it will be masks in gondolas and supermarkets, restricted numbers inside bars and restaurants, but pretty much business as usual at the outside bars, such as Bauer’s, Spitzbub, Soul House. Also I imagine that people will be keeping their gloves on more, washing their hands more conscientiously, and trying to maintain a sensible distance from others.
I know that the situation could be very different in the winter, but currently Saalbach and Zell am See are very busy with tourists. Even though the infection rate has risen significantly recently, it’s still relatively low, and the track and trace and quarantine system seems to be well controlled.
The atmosphere is generally relaxed and social interaction pretty normal. The only departure from normality that would be noticed is that masks are generally being worn in supermarkets. I imagine that Saalbach will turn into a “ghost town” by mid-September, so much will depend on what happens in the outside world during the autumn months.
snow conditions
Travelled to Mayrhofen on Sunday night.

We arrived by Uber at Heathrow. Wearing masks in the Uber for approx 1 hour.

Straight into T5 (still wearing Mask). We took the decision to arrive 2 hours ahead of the flight in case of problems. No significant delays at security but little or no social distancing possible. Everyone was wearing masks.

Once through, the majority of people in the terminal had masks except at the food outlets. About 50% of shops and restaurants closed.

At the Gate. No attempt at social distancing, everyone had masks though. Boarding by row from back of plane, no Business/Gold first etc. All seats taken on the flight. No empty seats for social distance purposes. This surprised me. BA staff enforced masks the whole way (except for young kids).

Munich airport completely empty. One person on car hire desk, most desks actually closed. (Free car upgrade Smile ) - still wearing masks.

So total time in masks 4.5-5 hours. Sure manufacturer says 4 hours max....makes you feel quite unwell for so long.

Drive to Zillertal very quiet given it was evening.

In resort feels busy. Although I hear it has quietened a lot since Dutch and German schools are about to open. Masks worn in some shops (supermarket etc) but not by staff in restaurants.

Haven’t been up in the gondola yet so cannot comment.

Chatting to locals last night. All worried by returnees from Balkan, Croatia, Spain etc. Also comments on seasonal staff for winter. Expecting everyone to be tested (apparently whole town was tested in April before spring opening) before winter opening.
snow report
As to next summer bookings (comment from op above) most are due to this year postponement/rebooking I believe
snow report
@Bennyboy1, why would wearing a mask make you feel unwell? Surgeons wear them for lengthy operations without ill effects. Dentists routinely wear them all day. The 4 hours max is for you to replace with a fresh mask, assuming you are using the paper disposable type. Glad to hear your journey was problem-free.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, lack of practice?? I don’t know but it did. Everyone said the same. I expect it’s also down to not enough liquid intake over the period.
snow report
The situation in Austria does not currently show any signs of improving, around 300 new infections today, forty of these were in the Tirol. It would seem sensible for UK folk to keep a careful eye on all this as Austria could well get added to the naughty step.

Latest news report (from Spiegel via Google translate)

The Austrian government is increasing controls on its southeastern borders after rising corona numbers. The Spanish holiday islands Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza will also be considered a corona risk area from Monday. "Unfortunately, a massive increase in the number of infections has also been noticeable in Austria in the last few days," said Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP). The largest group is that of returning travelers. "Ballermann is the best friend of the corona virus," added Health Minister Rudolf Anschober (Greens) with a view to the notorious party mile on Mallorca.

From Monday, a negative corona test or a subsequent test in quarantine will also be required on the return journey from the Balearic Islands. This also applies to travelers from countries that are considered safe, such as Germany, who have been to the Balearic Islands or one of the other 30 designated risk areas in the ten days before. These include mainland Spain, Croatia, the countries of the Western Balkans, including Sweden, the USA and Russia.

On Tuesday, almost 300 new cases were reported in Austria, the number of active cases rose to 2230. Before that, the number had leveled off for weeks at around 1400 active cases and around 100 to 150 new diagnoses. 116 patients were in the hospital on Tuesday, 19 of them in intensive care.
snow report
Returned home today, pretty straightforward forward drive from Saalbach, overnight in Germany then our usual route through Luxembourg, Belgium and France, no stopping to fill up or use the toilets on route, driver swaps yes, this was to ensure we meet the UK government rules on private vehicles and quarantine.

Eurotunnel Check-in pretty painless, bit of a queue for UK immigration, they were checking that you had completed the return to UK form. Actually got an earlier train than booked.

UK immigration checked we had completed the returning to UK form.
snow report
@radar,glad you got home safely. Bis bald!
snow conditions
@radar, how did you fill the return form to say you didn't stop in France?
In other words how do you tell the authorities that you do not need to quarantine
latest report
@tatmanstours, thanks
latest report
@johnE, the form asked for the countries that you stayed in and the dates and where you are returning from.

If you look at my post further up the page you will find a link covering transiting through countries in a private vehicle.
snow report
The increases in Tirol are not related to the local tourism industry, so there's not too much concern at the moment.
Quote:
The head of the Corona task force in the state, Elmar Rizzoli, nevertheless paints a calm picture of the situation in Tyrol. More than half of the current infections can be attributed to the existing cluster around the Somali cultural association and to holiday returnees from Croatia. Due to the infections in the Somali community, another refugee home in Innsbruck is now also affected. One of them was already isolated by the authorities the week before. There, 26 positive cases were registered.

Full article: https://www.tt.com/artikel/17245028/der-tirol-tourismus-haelt-corona-bisher-auf-distanz
ski holidays
@NickyJ, @skitow, @holidayloverxx, @radar, @munich_irish,

Sorry for the late response as we have been back nearly 2 weeks now - we had a great holiday in Bizau (Vorarlberg). Apart from the face masks in some indoor spaces it was great to have a sliver of normality back. Hiking is a pretty socially distanced activity and we generally were able to eat outside. Didn't experience any hostility from Austrians on our visit but did not see another GB number plate for the duration of our stay, even when visiting Lech.

I feel very fortunate that we were able to go on holiday to Austria this year. We had 2 overnight stops in Thionville (on way there and back) but fortunately dodged the downgrading of France's "safe" status. If you remember, we got our Covid test (a requirement at the time) 4 days before travel and then it "kicked off" about Austria tightening restrictions. A few people thought the UK would get caught up in this tightening and so it was quite nail biting at that time. As it turned out the Austrians used the tightening, because of concerns about Balkans, to finally review the conditions for visitors from the UK and revoke the "high risk" status, coming into effect on Monday 27 July - a decision that could have been made several weeks earlier based on cases. Of course, this was slightly annoying/unfortunate as we had just paid £596 for our tests and arrived only 8 hours before the conditions changed. Had the decision been made well in advance then I think we would have travelled without the test as we were all very low risk. Unsurprisingly there were no border checks when we crossed into Austria at Bregenz.

Anyway, a big thanks to all on this forum who provided news updates - especially in those last few days before we travelled.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GranthamPaul, glad you had a good holiday, we too found the Austrians, German and Italians all extremely welcoming.
snow report
quarantine from Saturday
snow report
@rayscoops, link?
snow report
@holidayloverxx,
Visitors to Croatia, Austria and Trinidad & Tobago will have to quarantine from Saturday

Croatia, Austria and Trinidad & Tobago will be removed from the UK’s list of travel corridors, the transport secretary Grant Shapps has said.

That means anyone returning from those countries will have to quarantine for 14 days if they return after 4am on Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/aug/20/uk-coronavirus-covid-19-england-students-gcse-results-btec-controversy-live-news

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53854948
snow report
.. and Switzerland added to the list in Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53854948

Quote:
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said in a tweet that 14 days of self-isolation will be required upon return from Croatia, Austria and Trinidad and Tobago.
Meanwhile, the Scottish Government has added Switzerland to the lists of countries on the quarantine list.
ski holidays
@radar, Oh FFS
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, Totally agree, glad we got home yesterday.
latest report
No big surprise as the number of cases was around 350 today. Not sure it is relevant to anyone here but Austria has pretty much closed its border with Slovenia. Transit to Germany etc is allowed BUT all the details are being noted at the Slovenian border and you must travel non stop and leave within 6 hours and ensure your details are noted when leaving.
snow report
Update on GOV.​UK.

Austria travel advice

Change made
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Austria, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.

Time updated
5:20pm, 20 August 2020
ski holidays
From 04:00 Saturday Austria will be removed from the FCO "safe list.

"Austria (will be removed from the list at 4am, Saturday 22 August 2020)"
snow report
@munich_irish, agreed. Not a surprise. As caseloads rise in certain places different countries will respond. Frustrating, but it makes sense.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
@munich_irish, agreed. Not a surprise. As caseloads rise in certain places different countries will respond. Frustrating, but it makes sense.

For Austria - haven’t they said that the cases are pretty much contained in a couple of camps? So although rising - it is being well contained?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy