Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Bennyboy1, We got caught March 13th, and believe me if AUT closes its borders you're stuck, no messing about. They gave us 24hours last time, this time it could be quicker? We vowed not to travel without our own car in future for greater flexibility, it's a proper risk - i'm not happy about cancelling but i'd be super wary of a rapid lockdown and the effects, the Austrians could put you under isolation in their country and then you're stuck, police at check points etc, same at Munich potentially.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@munich_irish, although I imagine Austria closing it’s borders a risk. I see the news is talking about a lot more checks on the A13. Are they also stopping a lot on the autobahn from Munich to Kufstein?

I would be very very surprised if Austria closes the border to Germany again, at least before the end of the summer holidays.

I was with my parents in Seefeld the day everything shut last time too, very weird watching the town completely shut down as all guest rushed back home (most to Germany) as the news spread. As they'd driven, was fairly straightforward for them to get home before the borders actually closed. Very weird for my gf and I driving home to our flat in IBK knowing we were going to be locked down and inside for an unspecified amount of time too!

Markymark29 wrote:
We got caught March 13th, and believe me if AUT closes its borders you're stuck, no messing about. They gave us 24hours last time, this time it could be quicker? We vowed not to travel without our own car in future for greater flexibility, it's a proper risk - i'm not happy about cancelling but i'd be super wary of a rapid lockdown and the effects, the Austrians could put you under isolation in their country and then you're stuck, police at check points etc, same at Munich potentially.

I think things were much stricter in the Arlberg/Paznaunertal - IIRC correctly they were officially in quarantine, not 'just' borders closed and lockeddown like the rest of Austria? I think realistically whatever may happen, holidaymakers will always be allowed to cross the borders OUT to leave to go home (possibly within time limits) - complications would be crossing the borders IN to any countries along the way if they then close their own borders. But I think last time pretty much everyone was able to travel through France to get home for the next few weeks?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-08-20 10:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bennyboy1, As far as I know not. The current big issue is the mess up with tests coming back into Bavaria. The Bavarian prime minister Markus Söder announced free tests for anyone coming back into to Germany, including on the Autobahn at Kiefersfelden (they are compulsory for anyone returning from a high risk area) but this was done in such a rush (to make Markus Söder look good.....) that over 40,000 pieces of paper were mislaid resulting in just under a 1000 people with a positive test not being notified. As far as Austria is concerned the issue is folk coming back from the Balkan area, so there are more checks on the Brenner for people who might have travelled via Italy, though Italy is being very strict with any arrivals from the Balkan area too. There are free walk in tests at Munich airport, I believe anyone can have one not just those with German health insurance, you might consider taking one just in case of issues.

We drove down to Tuscany last Friday, no different to any other time. Given it was fairly early we drove over the Achenpass as that is more pleasant (assuming early morning to avoid the jams in Tegernsee). Stopped at the petrol station at the Achensee / Zillertal junction to get vignette etc and no masks in the coffee shop / bar. No sign of any checks at the Brenner then.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, thank you this is helpful
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, I’m pretty sure we’d get out In car, less easy by train...it’s the quarantine into U.K. that’s the issue - I personally am flat out busy at work and can neither afford time away from the coal-face, or a financial 2 week hit with no pay (no annual leave left)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, I think what happened back in March was a one off. However I do think you are correct in thinking that the whole situation is very uncertain, at the moment, there is an impossible to quantify risk that things will change, perhaps without any notice. This is not conducive to a relaxing holiday and probably best waiting to another time, the mountains will still be there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
@clarky999, I’m pretty sure we’d get out In car, less easy by train...it’s the quarantine into U.K. that’s the issue - I personally am flat out busy at work and can neither afford time away from the coal-face, or a financial 2 week hit with no pay (no annual leave left)

Yeah I get that. Same here but in reverse for me!

I thought I had two fairly safe options to use my holiday in September: drive to France and go surfing, or drive to UK and visit family/go kayaking.

Now both - again - look quite risky and might involve quarantine here on return too. Currently it seems the Maldives are about the safest holiday option in the world, both in and outbound Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, Laughing Not many mountains, fast flowing kayaking rivers, and/ or mtb-ing routes though! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, haha nope, there is good surf though wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Covidiots

Lets hope the UK keeps this Quarantine measure in place until at least Easter 2021.

and lets hope the EU as a whole recipricates for all UK arrivals into the EU

STAY AT HOME

Covidiots
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@stanton, It was pointed out to you a couple of pages back that the Dutch holiday-makers were significant Covid-Spreaders, much more so than UK. No wonder the Netherlands, predictably, put on quarantine notice. Your country's testing is ranked 62 globally, 636 New Cases of 14/08/20, daily new cases show rapid increase of 500% in past 3 weeks. @stanton, you really need to look in the mirror before you slag off others.

Read the stats here ….. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/netherlands/

The graph regarding infections "Daily New Cases" is most telling.

Please tell me the Dutch for "moron", "cretin", or "retard". Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
munich_irish wrote:
This is not conducive to a relaxing holiday and probably best waiting to another time, the mountains will still be there.

I agree and this continues to be my thought even into next winter. If the 'holiday' involves stress about lots of things and in particular a lottery about getting in or out of the country then it's not for me.

We snow sliders book every winter holiday accepting the possibility that travel is often affected by the very weather we need. We rationalise that as one of these things we can do nothing about whilst accepting that even if the authorities in these countries end up being overwhelmed then pretty much everything that could've been done was done.

On the other hand our plans are now at the mercy of politicians whose primary concerns range between where they end up in a league table and it's consequent effect on their chances of re-election and ending up being hung out to dry and maybe even eventually prosecuted for mass murder by Covid or causing mass poverty and starvation.

For the avoidance of doubt I have no sympathy for them. Nobody made them do it. In the immortal words of Sir Billy Connolly - "don't vote, it only encourages the b@stards"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still In Saalbach spend's a couple of nights this week in Veneto, no issue crossing the border into Italy both ways, popped up to Salzburg today no problems crossing the German boarder, when we head home we will overnight in Germany close to the French border and get to the Eurotunnle in one hit, keeping to the UK government transit rules for private vehicles.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors and scroll down for details

@skimastaaah, don't encourage stanton, he's not the full schilling (Austrian or UK one Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimastaaah,

“The graph regarding infections "Daily New Cases" is most telling. “
Strongly disagree with this.
PCR mass testing,at a time of low virus prevalence, achieves nothing except a panic inducing identification of new “cases”, with a shockingly low accuracy. If Covid19 was eradicated off the planet, and the U.K. achieved best possible 99.9% specificity from testing at the current rate of 1M per week, then we would still find 1000 new cases per week purely from false positives. Currently with a virus prevalence of 0.04% in U.K., and false positives running at 0.1%, you can see the issue clearly.
And it’s worse than this, as of the correct positives, up to half will be inactive viral debris from old infections which is not a new case, more like a “cannot be a case”.
See more here:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-mass-testing-for-covid-19-do-more-harm-than-good-
And here:

http://youtube.com/v/FU3OibcindQ
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
@Bennyboy1, We got caught March 13th, and believe me if AUT closes its borders you're stuck, no messing about. They gave us 24hours last time, this time it could be quicker? We vowed not to travel without our own car in future for greater flexibility, it's a proper risk - i'm not happy about cancelling but i'd be super wary of a rapid lockdown and the effects, the Austrians could put you under isolation in their country and then you're stuck, police at check points etc, same at Munich potentially.

I wouldn't say stuck, it was just more difficult, I know a number of people who left after March 13th but had to take alternative routes (e.g. rather than flying from IBK or ZRH from the Arlberg, going via train to MUN). What perhaps made it seem harder was the fact you were (IIRC) starting from one of the isolated areas, and even then from the isolated areas they allowed those who were on holiday to leave, it was only workers or Austrian nationals that were 'stuck'.
snow report
@newby21, As someone with a degree in mathematical physics (so I am not an expert on virology but do understand scientific procedure-and can see the lack of when it comes to COVID, statistics and analysis of data), I do think the CEBM at Oxford have consistently been an oasis of clearly argued comment amongst a six month scientifically illiterate desert from politicians and journalists. Their recent work on false positives in a period of low prevalence, is one of their best pieces. An exercise is creating your own data to panic over, and a perverse reason to lower your level of testing!
Luxembourg put in a huge national shift and tested 10% of their population, unsurprisingly found a ton of asymptomatic cases...and promptly found themselves on the UK's naughty step.
ski holidays
@newby21, you must be Stanton's alter-ego.

ergo …. your dismissal of PCR in Netherlands is Cummings-esque.
latest report
@skimastaaah, I had to laugh because your requests for the Dutch version of several Stanton synonyms were (prior to logging in) right next to the cute little slogan "Snowheads are a friendly bunch!"
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Please tell me the Dutch for "moron", "cretin", or "retard". Toofy Grin

Perhaps not literal but “klootzak” would serve.
snow conditions
Kaaskop is mild but insulting
ski holidays
Kaaskop is mild but insulting
ski holidays
@snowhound, as someone with a physics degree and 30 years in the space industry, no medical or epidemiological background, but with some understanding of scientific procedure and how to apply it to complex issues, I fully agree! We wouldn’t base the smallest decision in our business on the nonsensical, unscientific, ignore-the-data, pander to the masses approach our government seems to revel in when making decisions affecting the livelihoods and wellbeing of millions.
The only people keeping me sane have been the Oxford CEBM along with their epidemiology professor (Gupta), who has faced huge abuse for daring to disagree with conventional lockdown and casedemic thinking.
snow report
Getting home from IBK via VIE was very simple today, no problems coming back except the pain in your heart.
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, my issue is not with NL but the increasing PCR mass testing ongoing worldwide, at a time of low virus prevalence and when illness is negligible, and the use of misunderstood and poorly interpreted results to decide policy.
Show me any increase in hospitalisation, ventilation and/or death anywhere in Europe?
Show me the gold standard for how we are doing, excess deaths (Chris Whittys words early in the pandemic).
What was that...? Excess deaths in Europe reached their 5 year average 7 weeks ago.
Excess deaths in UK below 5 year average for 6 weeks now. Yes, less people dying this year in July/Aug than in the past 5
ski holidays
As Belgium, France and the Netherlands are on the naughty list I've updated my post with extra links, this is about driving to or from Austria and the countries you wold cross, there are no current restrictions on UK residents entering or leaving Germany. There is a link to the government site on transiting in a private vehicle at the bottom, check it if you are concerned on how to manage your journey through any of the above countries. If you are returning to the UK there is government form you need to complete, details below

Leaving the UK to enter France complete and print out: https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/3f/3f474b02-0e9f-4992-a3d8-4d4944cdcef3.pdf

Belgium entry requirements: https://unitedkingdom.diplomatie.belgium.be/en

Germany entry requirements : https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus

The Netherlands entry requirements: https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/qas-travel-restrictions-for-the-netherlands

Austria entry requirements: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

Crossing France, Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands this is the link to the the UK government transit rules for private vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors and scroll down for details .

Returning to the UK complete 48hrs before return : https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk
Apart from the french form, they are all links to official government sites.

You might want to consider some of these https://www.peebol.com/peebol-pocket-sized-toilet.html or this https://www.stressnomore.co.uk/uriwell-personal-toilet-81833.html Toofy Grin
snow report
@newby21, it's an interesting discussion, but I think you might get a better reception/debate on the main Covid thread, as it's not Austria specific: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=150990
latest report
The numbers for Austria are over 300 this morning. The increase in numbers, as elsewhere, seems to be largely connected to returning holidaymakers but there must be a risk that Austria will be added to the UK list next week. There is talk of tests at the border though more likely at the southern borders rather than the German / Swiss ones.
latest report
@munich_irish, returning holidaymakers and tourists bringing the virus with them, as happened in the spring. The outbreak in Salzburg was a family party where one guest had visited from abroad (it has not been reported where) and managed to infect 30 other people. There are similarly a number of clusters in Vienna. The good news is that the number of active infections seems relatively stable, but with rising numbers of new infections, this could change of course.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our Arlberg trip has now moved 1500 miles north to western isles of Scotland, too many obstacles and risks....the Alps are sadly going to have to wait.......
latest report
@Scarlet, I’m with you on that. Very Happy
latest report
@Markymark29, Isn't there some talk of quarantine for English folk visiting Scotland Very Happy
snow report
@queenie pretty please, similar here – the majority of the Innsbruck outbreak linked to the Somali community centre and a refugee accommodation centre, the one in Schwaz with returnees from Croatia. I think combined that's about 80% of the Tirol cases.

Active infections will rise for at least a couple of weeks, as it will take time for these people to be declared recovered. However, unless hospitalisations rise, what we have is a lot of people under 35 with a cold.
ski holidays
Looks as if I may have to implement “plan B” in relation to my projected trip to the U.K., to deal with my house sale. Thinking it now might be preferable to accept kind offers of help from friends and mastermind the removals, disposal of unwanted items, and storage of all the rest of my stuff from Austria. What can possibly go wrong?
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, i would do that. Easy for them to what's app video call you to check things before chucking, but if something gies, it goes. The rest is easy enough
snow report
@holidayloverxx, and yet the thought of delegating the job of sorting out a lifetime’s accumulation of possessions and junk makes me feel uncomfortable, even if I’m easily contactable. The silver lining is that it might help to avoid all the arguments with Mrs TT over what should be chucked and what should be kept and stored. Believe me, I’d rather avoid the trip back, through all those “naughty list countries” to Brexit Britain, and rather to devote my energies to house hunting in the land of lederhosen.
latest report
@munich_irish, my grandma was Scottish and I’ve got an Anderson tartan car rug, and a Simple Minds playlist so I’m good......that’d be about right btw, knowing my luck so far this year.
snow report
@tatmanstours, I do not envy your position there! That's a big task to delegate to a friend though – we sold ours before we moved (well sort of, we did a lot of paperwork after via DHL), but cleared it out ourselves and it still took six months to sort, chuck, sell and pack Shocked and I was still throwing stuff in boxes as the movers were loading them on the van! Don't forget, anything you bring over after the end of the year could be subject to import charges, so getting it on a van now is a good plan.
snow report
@Scarlet, and what took you six months is likely to have to be done (from Austria!) in two or three weeks! Hadn’t thought about import charges. Would they be applied to one’s furniture and personal possessions?
snow report
@tatmanstours, No idea, depends on any deals I suppose. The only time I've seen it come up in discussion was for people who might want to move back to the UK in the future, and may be charged by the UK govt. A good reason not to go back! I don't know how likely it is though, but shipping now avoids the problem.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Shipping before the year end is on the cards anyway. Can’t easily sort everything and sell anything that needs to be sold without bringing it over here. Just a question of finding suitable storage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy