Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Uncle Rico wrote:
Yes and that would have been me too if Auntie hadn't got asked whether she was travelling alone by the customs officer in the booth.

It's so small that he had a view of what was going on in the hall and Auntie was in front of his queue. He beckoned me out of the your going home area and stated that we shouldn't be concerned about a few minutes.

It was on the train from Jenbach to Mayrhofen that I twigged that the delay was compounded by the time difference my half an hour out of time wasn't beyond 48hrs since my test.

We shared a bus journey with a couple heading to Neiderau who were on our flight with friends that didn't make the cut passport's confiscated.

Obviously we made our onward journey but it was an unsatisfactory episode it has been well documented on here how much effort has gone into people trying to do the right thing

Glad you got through and it all sounds very stressful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Earlydoors, UK PLF is linked to your passport no. so no need to present it in the UK. Nobody else has access to that system though, so they need to see it in you hand/phone.

Nobody in Austria is going to do data entry from paper PLFs, so if they did collect them, they would only be going directly into the shredder!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ignore post moved to The Piste

What is the score driving back to the UK from Austria through Swiss to Calais ? from what I can see it is allowed.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 27-12-21 7:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jcl34, we flew Jet 2 and they did check the 48hr PCR dates/times.

Our 900am flight should have landed at 1200pm CET but was delayed by 1hr (we were sat on the runway).

My 1220pm UK PCR was considered to be timed out at 1245pm CET (we'd made some time up in flight).

Ideally you wouldn't work to such fine margins but rebooking PCRs on Christmas Eve when the rules changed 23rd December wasn't easy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ryanair at Manchester did not check anything.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
enduroaid wrote:
So has anyone managed to get through with 3 jabs and a proof of recovery?

We’re due out middle of January and my other half is just getting over covid, she will be past the 14 days so will be ok with a proof of recovery certificate but she will likely fail a pcr test given how recently she had it

We have one of our party in a similar situation, looking at the Embassy website, my reading of it is that you can enter but need to complete the Appendix H/I form, it’s the same form in German and English. https://www.bmeia.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Vertretungen/London/Dokumente/Anlage_I_23.12.2021.pdf

They will get their booster 7 days before we leave, but would still be possitive as they came out of quarantine late December and we travel the second weekend in January

Austrian Embassy: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We made it back to Munich airport no problem. There was a German police van hanging around at the border but they weren’t stopping anyone. Had to show ridiculous amount of documents at Lufthansa check-in but all in order. I’m so glad we made it to Austria and had our week of skiing. Thanks to everyone here for all the good advice. We’re booked to Saalbach in February half term so I’ll keep an eye on the developments! Best of luck to everyone heading out soon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tiefschneetaucher, glad to hear it.
Yes they check it all at the check in desk and then there’s the ‘document check’ at the gate too where they add the sticker to your passport to show you’ve been done!
Were there many on your plane? There was only about 20 people on mine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the TUI flights will be going back at least one light, one of the guests at the hotel next door has tested positive on his pre return test. He is currently in his room by himself while the owner has spent the morning in a queue on the telephone trying to contact the authorities. They have plenty of spare rooms at the moment due to Crystal cancellations next week so we will see if he has to go to a quarantine hotel or stay where he is later. Will update when I know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a flight with TUI soon from London, are the 48 hour PCR tests checked at check in (pre security) or at the gate? I'm wondering as we will have to do the 3 hour walk in PCR test at the airport, so it could mean we have to be there even earlier if we can't get through security before the PCR results are back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, plane back to UK very empty, about a fifth of capacity I reckon. The extra document check at the gate was annoying, why do they need to do it twice?!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From Kronen Zeitung (google translate)
Quote:
Excitement on Stefanitag at Innsbruck airport: the Tyrolean police refused entry to a total of 110 people from Great Britain because they could not present the necessary corona entry certificates. Some of them had to return home straight away, 40 spent the night in an officially assigned hotel and only flew back on Monday. Twelve Brits - families with children - were ultimately allowed to stay.
The stricter entry regulations - booster vaccination and negative PCR test, which must not be older than 48 hours - had become the undoing for the British after arriving at Innsbruck airport. "A total of 110 people from Great Britain could not present the necessary proof of entry," said the police.

40 people accommodated in a hotel
While 70 people affected were able to leave Innsbruck again by air on Sunday, a return flight was no longer possible for 40 people on that day. "These were also turned away at the border and temporarily housed in a hotel by order of the state of Tyrol," the executive continued.
The stricter entry regulations - booster vaccination and negative PCR test, which must not be older than 48 hours - had become the undoing for the British after arriving at Innsbruck airport. "A total of 110 people from Great Britain could not present the necessary proof of entry," said the police.
"During the investigation on Monday with the Innsbruck City Council as the responsible health authority, the 40 people behaved very disciplined, polite and understanding. In some cases, however, due to the relevant information on the Internet - particularly with regard to the validity of the PCR test - they were obviously insufficiently informed about the entry requirements for the health authorities to enter Austria, ”it said.

Families stay in compliance with the measures
Of the 40 "stranded" 28 flew back to Great Britain on Monday. Twelve people, families with children, were ultimately allowed to stay in Tyrol. However, "in compliance with the necessary measures".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update from Gov.uk

Change made:
Travellers should ensure they have all the necessary QR codes, as provided by the NHS COVID Pass or a letter confirming vaccination status, or risk being denied entry. The general rule effective from 25 December that travellers need to have had booster shots and a negative PCR test no older than 48 hours at time of entry is being rigorously enforced.

Time updated:
1:16pm, 27 December 2021

Source: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=b0da0bf0-1b23-456b-a736-52959d81b19c&utm_content=immediately
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chris_n, I guess it’s within the authorities’ power to turn visitors back at the border, but I don’t know why they weren’t allowed to use the PCR testing service at Innsbruck airport, which was supposedly set up to test people who had insufficient evidence on arrival. Maybe that’s only for residents? Also, it shows the airlines are not checking properly or are not informed of the entry requirements.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
@Chris_n, I guess it’s within the authorities’ power to turn visitors back at the border, but I don’t know why they weren’t allowed to use the PCR testing service at Innsbruck airport, which was supposedly set up to test people who had insufficient evidence on arrival. Maybe that’s only for residents? Also, it shows the airlines are not checking properly or are not informed of the entry requirements.

I’m quite surprised the proper checks aren’t being conducted at the UK departure airports. The (admittedly) last minute changes that were legislated on Christmas Eve were pretty clear, I thought. Perhaps some carriers were either confused or hoping the Austrian border authorities would be lenient?
snow conditions
I think some of the airlines were still working on 72 hours, the ones that were allowed to stay had children so it was probably NINJA tests that were required for them.
Anyway a small twist of fate from Kronen Zeitung
Quote:
Ironically in the Ischgl après-ski bar "Kitzloch", which became famous due to the Corona crisis, there is now a Covid alarm! The state of Tyrol launched a public appeal on Monday afternoon because a member of the service staff tested positive for Corona.

You can tell I had a day off today wink
snow report
A bit more detail on the Kitzloch from the Süddeutsche

Quote:
Because of a corona case in the well-known restaurant "Kitzloch" in the Austrian ski resort of Ischgl, authorities have launched a public appeal to guests of the bar. People who were there on the previous Thursday or Friday should have themselves tested and wear FFP2 masks for two weeks and avoid crowds, according to the state of Tyrol. A service employee had tested positive.

The "Kitzloch" is one of the starting points for the many infections that were carried from Ischgl to a number of European countries at the beginning of 2020. In contrast to 2020, according to the currently applicable regulations, après-ski bars are not allowed to be used in bars. In Austria, guests are only served at their seats. The catering staff must wear FFP2 masks, as must guests on the way to the tables. Access is only granted to those who have been vaccinated or have recovered.

No mention of beer pong Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Jones82, Probably York from the many tourists we are having at the moment. Very Happy Best of luck with your trip Very Happy
snow report
For those that live here, an analysis on the poor communications and loss of trust in the govt over corona measures: https://www.tt.com/artikel/30809290/filzmaier-pandemie-hat-aus-oesterreichern-hobby-virologen-gemacht

Quote:
Whereas at the beginning of the pandemic, three-quarters of the population was convinced of the correctness, appropriateness, and effectiveness of the government's actions, now that figure is 25 percent, and on some issues, significantly less.
latest report
radar wrote:
enduroaid wrote:
So has anyone managed to get through with 3 jabs and a proof of recovery?

We’re due out middle of January and my other half is just getting over covid, she will be past the 14 days so will be ok with a proof of recovery certificate but she will likely fail a pcr test given how recently she had it

We have one of our party in a similar situation, looking at the Embassy website, my reading of it is that you can enter but need to complete the Appendix H/I form, it’s the same form in German and English. https://www.bmeia.gv.at/fileadmin/user_upload/Vertretungen/London/Dokumente/Anlage_I_23.12.2021.pdf

They will get their booster 7 days before we leave, but would still be possitive as they came out of quarantine late December and we travel the second weekend in January

Austrian Embassy: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

Has anyone succeeded in obtaining this certificate of recovery?

If you have mild Covid symptoms and a positive PCR test, what happens after the symptoms clear up and you pass the lateral flow tests so can come out of isolation? Can you go to your GP and ask them to confirm that you have recovered, and then will they sign the Austrian certificate?
ski holidays
Someone going by car from Munich or somewhere in Germany to Austria? I would like to know how the police controls in the borders are. If there are any......
snow report
sgiuliano wrote:
Someone going by car from Munich or somewhere in Germany to Austria? I would like to know how the police controls in the borders are. If there are any......

We drove from Munich to Austria on Sunday and my son did it yesterday and the German/Austrian border before Kufstein was not manned on either day.
snow report
@1gunsalute, I have completed an appendix H/I form and my GP has signed it, having assesed my infection which was positive on 23 Dec. I travel on 2 Jan and will post here if I am allowed in to Innsbruck.
snow conditions
Question about the 48 hour thing (hopefully not in force in late Feb). I assume it’s 48hours from time of test, not time result is posted.

Will be flying early Sunday so would need to find a test on the Friday with guaranteed 24hour turn round. Would be very difficult for partner. Anywhere at LHR do near instant tests on a Saturday eve? The one at Sofitel T5 maybe?
ski holidays
@1gunsalute, I have completed an appendix H/I form and my GP has signed it, having assesed my infection which was positive on 23 Dec. I travel on 2 Jan and will post here if I am allowed in to Innsbruck.
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
Question about the 48 hour thing (hopefully not in force in late Feb). I assume it’s 48hours from time of test, not time result is posted.

Will be flying early Sunday so would need to find a test on the Friday with guaranteed 24hour turn round. Would be very difficult for partner. Anywhere at LHR do near instant tests on a Saturday eve? The one at Sofitel T5 maybe?

Just looked. ExpressTest at T5 departures is open Sat eve until 20:20 which means could test Saturday eve (staying at Sofitel as early flight)… do they turn round by 7:15?! Can you check in without a PCR test (as would want to be doing on Sat eve…?)
snow conditions
Pre-emptive apologies for asking (but having read back several pages I'm not sure I can work out the answer) - do the latest entry requirements mean my 14yo child can't get into Austria without a booster? The 2nd jab is this week (so thought we'd be sorted). Is there still the Ninja Pass option seeing as born after 2006...?

Also, is there a definite answer on whether you can arrive in Munich and transit to Austria? Our trip's not until Feb H/T so realise plenty can change before then!!

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
@schnitzel_skier, to answer the second bit. It is currently not possible for anyone who has spent time in the UK to fly into Munich and transit to Austria. There is a post somewhere with a reply from the German Border Police confirming this. I think it will change in the not too distant future but until it does a direct flight to Austria is the only option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, thanks - appreciate it
snow report
@schnitzel_skier, the ninja pass option is still available to a 14 year old. Can't answer definitively about Munich but I don't think it is possible.
snow report
Thanks both - found that German Border Police link here: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html

It would suggest it's normally ok - but the "areas of variants of concern" is the part which screws things up. I think I will "watch this space"....
snow conditions
neilkav wrote:
I’m still not clear on this see below from gov.co.uk which seems to suggest that ‘if’ booster was 120 days or more after second jab that it must not have been more than 270 days before arrival, so does that mean that the 120 days between second and booster doesn’t matter?

Vaccination validity
For single-shot vaccines (e.g. Johnson & Johnson), you must show that you received the vaccine more than 21 but no more than 270 days before arrival.
For double-shot vaccines (e.g. AstraZeneca, Moderna), you must show that you received the second injection no more than 270 days before arrival.
If you received a booster more than 120 days after being fully immunised, this must not have been more than 270 days before arrival.

Rule no.1: don’t trust gov.uk to give you the correct information. (I’d say get your info from the Austrian govt, but they’ve been on bad form this week rolling eyes )

120 days is the time from your second dose to become eligible for your booster in Austria. As usual, the govt has little concept of other people doing things differently, so technically you’re supposed to wait this long for it to count. In reality, you show the certificate that says 3/3 on it and say nothing about the interval, and it is unlikely that anyone will dig any deeper.

If you are still concerned, it is worth noting that this requirement will probably relax soon. The Austrian vaccination service won’t produce a certificate for a booster unless it has been at least 120 days interval, but there are plenty of cases of doses being given earlier, mostly to immunocompromised people, but occasionally to someone who tried their luck at a walk-in centre a day early. These people are now complaining that they don’t have the required certificates and it seems likely that there will be an update to accommodate those who got jabbed early for whatever reason.
latest report
Scarlet - you are an absolute gem thank you very very much that’s now totally clear!
snow conditions
@Scarlet, Were heading out on the 14th and I have 2 vacs and a recovery cert from last few days . Do you know if this OK with the Austrian officials .
ski holidays
@Chick, that’s a situation I’m not sure about, sorry. But someone else may be able to clarify. Also, there is still time for changes before you travel Shocked
snow report
Seahoob wrote:
Thanks for the reply - did you go to your GP surgery for a consultation?
latest report
Chick wrote:
@Scarlet, Were heading out on the 14th and I have 2 vacs and a recovery cert from last few days . Do you know if this OK with the Austrian officials .

I’m fairly certain you need the 3 vaccinations to get in now.
snow conditions
and a negative PCR thats less than 48 hours old (maybe 47 if they are feeling that way out with the time difference)
latest report
Swen wrote:
and a negative PCR thats less than 48 hours old (maybe 47 if they are feeling that way out with the time difference)

Agreed
ski holidays
So if its to be believed that you can be recovered and still fail PCR tests for weeks then it does not look good
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy