Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
At the hotel in saarbrucken. No problems entering Germany. The only weird thing is that the hotel does require face mask in reception or elsewhere. None of the staff are wearing any ppe.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnE, no face masks or screens at check in?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it helps anyone planning their fuel stops, in Austria (well, my local avanti anyway) diesel is 1.04€ and petrol is 1.08€. Italy is usually a fair bit more.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, usual thing (though varies from Länder to Länder) is that staff in retail etc dont have to wear masks if behind perspex screen, which seems to morph into staff dont have to wear masks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It’s wonderful here. Nothing like as many Brits or cloggies. Packed with Austrians and Germans though. Weather is pretty good too but if you like 30 degrees of oppressive sunshine(I don’t)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, Thanks, that helps
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, i see you went via France and Saarbrucken, how much are the road tolls in France please? I’ve never been that route and would be interested to know, probably the route we’ll go.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, You can calculate them here https://www.sanef.com/en/my-journey/price-of-my-journey

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 9-08-20 15:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the hotel no one at reception and none of the waiting staff wore masks or were behind screens. The only concession to covid was a notice about the lifts and no buffet for breakfast.
We're are still , after 4.5 hours, driving on the German motorway. The traffic jams are horrendous. We turned off and drove through ulm to avoid one.@Markymark29, i cannot recall hpw much the tolls were, but not a lot. Check on mappy.com for the exact amount.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skitow, you need to remove the full stop from the end of that link
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just entered Austria and bought a vignette at the border. No problems apart from the slow traffic.
At the cafe at the border no one was wearing masks.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Covidiots

You are the problem

STAY AT HOME
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stanton, Really?? More like those pesky Dutch, spreading the virus in their camper-vans and caravans. FCO has Netherlands on "Amber" list.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Over the Brenner pass now. Apart from the heavy traffic no problem crossing Austria.
Now let us see how the camper vans are doing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spoke too soon, cloggies pouring in today.

Mask wearing is erratic. Bars and restaurants all mask free as would be expected, some shops in Ellmau seem to be ignoring it but they were much better in Westendorf today. Haven’t had to share a lift yet but they are all asking you to wear one.
latest report
@musher, Masks are only compulsory in supermarkets and other grocery type stores (it's a bit vague, but I think basically extends to anywhere that sells food but isn't a restaurant) and pharmacies, but not clothing, sports shops, hire shops etc. If it's not compulsory, people don't generally bother, but most do (ish) when it is.

I was chilling out at a local lake today. It was pretty busy, but I managed to find a few square metres to put my mat down and started to assemble the parasol while I waited for N (because I forgot the mat in the car...). The bloke from the next pitch turned up with his lunch and approached me, asking if I was prepared to respect the 1m distance??? I said of course, thinking that I would prefer to be at least 5m from any one else and their stinky fags, screaming, dripping wet children and piles of inflatables which took off when the wind blew rolling eyes He complained about the Austrians not bothering, clearly not from around these parts.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-08-20 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Heading up the valley to wolkenstein . Soon well be over the sella pass and heading down to canazei. The dolomites are very busy.
ski holidays
On the crowded pavements of wolkenstein most people were wearing face masks.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, 1.40 to 1.48 in Italy, topped up in Austria, at 1.08. Thanks.
ski holidays
Mask wearing, this is what we have experienced.

Saalbach everyone is wearing them in the supermarket and if you have forgotten one they have free ones at the door.

Italy, all waiting staff , the hotels staff are wearing them and the hotel are quite firm on the wearing them in public areas, staff in restaurants and bars wearing them. Public transport all staff are wearing masks and asking anyone not wearing one to mask up

Germany, Karlsruhe Ettlingen all staff wearing them unless behind the plastic screen, guest have to wear a mask in public areas and when going to the breakfast buffet
latest report
@radar,
When I went over the Europabrucke a month ago the prices in the Austrian service areas were about the same as in Italy. What a ripoff!
This reinforces a point I made recently about Luxembourg - motorway fuel is the same price as high street fuel.

@Scarlet,
I'm out again next week (en-route to Lake Garda), is your Avanti near/in Innsbruck? I think that the prices I saw in Zirl and Innsbruck were higher than on the top of the Fernpass!
snow conditions
@Nemisis, I’m a few km out of town, but there’s another one on the main Innsbruck road (171) that’s usually about the same. The ones by the motorway are a few cents more. Also, avanti is fully self service which probably keeps the price a bit lower.
snow conditions
Completed the Italian form just incase, when we got to the hotel they asked us to complete a slightly different declaration.
snow report
@Nemisis, @Scarlet, I use this tankestelle: [url=]https://www.google.com/maps/place/DISK+Tankstelle/@47.2653605,11.4232751,17.25z/data=!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x9ad0529b396f2008!2s%C3%96AMTC+Innsbruck!8m2!3d47.2657069!4d11.4260703!3m4!1s0x479d694994e5773d:0x9f2724b7e023ceb7!8m2!3d47.2657303!4d11.4248519?hl=de-DE[/url] (edit: link doesn't work, but it's the DISK Tankestelle on Andechstraße)

Near the big shopping centre/2 mins off the motorway, similar prices to scarlet's above, also self service.

Quote:

Masks are only compulsory in supermarkets and other grocery type stores (it's a bit vague, but I think basically extends to anywhere that sells food but isn't a restaurant) and pharmacies, but not clothing, sports shops, hire shops etc.

Basically mask wearing is/should be mandatory only in places which potentially vulnerable may *have to* visit, in order to protect those people. So supermarkets, pharmacies, banks (I think), etc. No masks needed in sports/clothes shops etc as no-one *needs* to visit them so everyone can make their own decisions about whether to take the 'risk' of visiting or not.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-08-20 14:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@clarky999, I hate driving in that part of town and avoid it as far as possible. Can see why you go there though.

Quote:
Basically mask wearing is/should be mandatory only in places which potentially vulnerable may *have to* visit, in order to protect those people. So supermarkets, pharmacies, banks (I think), etc. No masks needed in sports/clothes shops etc as no-one *needs* to visit them so everyone can make their own decisions about whether to take the 'risk' of visiting or not.

It's a special sort of logic if you delve into it enough.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, yeah for me that's on the quickest route to the motorway anyway, so pretty convenient
snow report
@clarky999, Links will work if you put them in url tags yourself.

The one time I tried to get petrol in Innsbruck all the self service stations that I could find were only open when staff were present. The pumps were designed to take credit cards but were just turned off when the staff went home.
ski holidays
@rjs, that doesn't seem to have helped, other than that first part of the url is no longer linked. But can easily be copy and pasted into the browser.

I remember one being like that a while ago (BP Tankestelle on Höttinger Au?), but not the case for the ones Scarlet and I mentioned (which are never staffed).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet,
Thanks for that, I to and fro through Zirl (I've been using that route for thirty-something years!) so I'll carry on using the Disk in Zirl when eastbound and Avanti in Zirl when westbound (right hand side of the road each way - so much easier in a RHD)
snow conditions
France and Netherlands added to quarantine list from 0400 Saturday, joining Belgium, Luxembourg ({+others).

Driving back to UK beginning to get tricky for anyone wishing to avoid quarantining.
latest report
@ecureuil, looks like our end August trip is off then Sad
snow conditions
For those wishing to return to the UK by car it is possible without any quarantine issues via Calais or Hook van Holland, drive through Germany as far as you can then direct to the port. You need to avoid stopping in France, Belgium, Netherlands & Luxembourg (no cheap petrol or breakdowns!) see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#transit-stops
ski holidays
@munich_irish, until he adds Germany, Boris (Cummings) is playing games, what an idiot.
latest report
On Sunday I fly into Munich and then drive to Austria. During my stay, if Cummings adds Germany, I would change my return flight so that I depart from Austria (have to sort the hire car out probably pay to drop off at Austrian airport). As I would be flying back from a “safe country” can you think of any reason why I would end up having to quarantining due to my outbound flight? I wouldn’t have entered Germany for a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, only if he adds Austria too, cases rising so you wouldn’t put it past him?
snow report
Suspect it has been done to ensure all returning to school are either quarantining for 14 days (and potentially late back to school) or already in the U.K. for 14 days prior.

We’re on the hunt for home delivery slots as we’ll be caught by this. 2 weeks WFH for me, probably would have been anyway.

Silver lining - sister-in-law’s visit cancelled. Toofy Grin
snow report
DJL wrote:
Silver lining - sister-in-law’s visit cancelled. Toofy Grin

Every cloud..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The virus numbers from Austria are not good this morning ( https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/fd4701f7653543d4afdccd2a386e639b ) even in the Tirol. Have to see if this continues but if it does the infection rate is worse than Germany (though absolute numbers clearly smaller) so Austria much more likely to be added to UK list than Germany.
snow conditions
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#transit-stops

But by getting out at any self service petrol stations whether in Luxemburg or any of the other countries on the list should be fine as long as that`s all you do. Do NOT go into the actual shop for anything. As most of the fuel stops have that, in theory, driving out and back to Austria shouldn`t be an issue, even if Germany goes on the list. Different of course if they suddenly add Austria while there, though again in theory, if they give 36 hours notice, getting back shouldn`t be an issue as the main flow of traffic returning wont be as much as it will be this weekend returning from France.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, although I imagine Austria closing it’s borders a risk. I see the news is talking about a lot more checks on the A13. Are they also stopping a lot on the autobahn from Munich to Kufstein?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy