Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@2planks, If you live in Germany anyone over 5 years old returning from Austria must be fully vaccinated or have to quarantine for 14 days on their return. This rules out ski holidays for many families. Austria is also on the German "high risk" list (most countries are) so some travel insurance is not valid.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gaz_H, you can fly direct to Austria or change in Frankfurt or Amsterdam? Also Zürich plus train is an option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Saltwood, ooh I agree yes I did mine last night for tomorrow morning.
I already knew it was probably going to be negative though as I’d already done 2 this week last one being Monday!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not what it says here-

https://www.thelocal.at/20211222/will-austria-impose-quarantine-on-travellers-from-the-uk-and-three-eu-countries/

Hoping that’s wrong!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Doccam, that does seem contradictory to what has already been posted. To summarise this link says the additional requirement of booster plus pcr is for EU citizens and not UK. UK not allowed entry unless essential travel.

As usual I remain confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Doccam, The Local is not the most accurate source of information, the "official" source is the health ministry website but doubt that will be updated yet.

The Tiroler Tageszeitung live blog has the following (via Google translate)

Quote:
The entry regulations will be adapted , four countries will become virus variant areas with effect from December 25th: Great Britain , the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway will be added to the list due to the drastic increase in the number of omicrons . This will tighten entry . However, there is one relief for those entering the country: with 3 stitches and a PCR test those is quarantine.

There is also

Quote:
When asked about entry from virus variant areas with 3G , Reich said the rules only apply to adults , not children. The entry regulations for children remain unaffected.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Doccam, That looks like we are on the same 'naughty step' as the Danes, Dutch and Norwegians but have been hit with an ah but you're not EU ban Crying or Very sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For heavens sake, I really hoped the Austrian Gov were going to have more sense than the British and French Governments with regards to short notice knee jerk changes, this one being just 2.5 days before Chirstmas day. Effing brilliant. And non of the Austrian government websites (and there 11 various Austrian Web pages I have open trying to follow this) have been updated to actually tell us what the damn rules are so we can book what is needed around Christmas shutdowns, even if it is possible to go.

Adults need Booster AND PCR ?
Children under 12 need nothing or need PCR ?
Children 12 - 15 - need booster AND PCR ? Doubt any have been/nor can get booster. Or is recovery fine ? Or recovery + PCR ?

Supposed to be travelling this coming Monday, no idea what tests if any need to booked or if our TO will cancel us.
Thanks a bunch Austrian goverment - clear as mud.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@feefee, have a look at randox. It may be too late to get a test posted to you, but they do click an collect. They have dedicated drop boxes and some of them are operating over Christmas. We have used them before and they’ve been efficient (I’m not a paid advisor or connected to them in any way)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So if someone is 2 jabs but inside 270 days thus not due for a booster does that still count as fully vaccinated (then add PCR as with the boosted community)?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re. Timing of PCR test

From the TT (apologies for auto translation):

"If you fall under one of the exceptions and are allowed to enter in principle, conditions still apply. Arrivals must...

... Register for pre-travel clearance

This can be done at the earliest 72 hours before entry. In the case of an official inspection, it must be presented in digital form or printed. The authenticity of the document can be checked via the QR code."

Although UK residents are not exempt by default they are exempt with a booster, so it looks like if you have been boosted you can get a test 72 hours before entry
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Doccam wrote:
Not what it says here-

https://www.thelocal.at/20211222/will-austria-impose-quarantine-on-travellers-from-the-uk-and-three-eu-countries/

Hoping that’s wrong!

Think they've just misinterpreted what was said. Those 4 countries have entered the VVA list, which before would have meant compulsory quarantine for all, but the 3 jabs + a PCR exemption was added in the press conference.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DidierCouch wrote:
Doccam wrote:
Not what it says here-

Hoping that’s wrong!

Think they've just misinterpreted what was said. Those 4 countries have entered the VVA list, which before would have meant compulsory quarantine for all, but the 3 jabs + a PCR exemption was added in the press conference.

The article says exactly that.

"People who are allowed to enter can avoid the quarantine only if they have received a booster vaccination and also show a negative PCR test on arrival. Neither a PCR test or a booster shot alone is sufficient to avoid quarantine."

Presumably this was the recent edit to that article, it was originally posted before the press conference.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First Austrian website update:

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

Quote:
Entry requirements to Austria from 24 December 2021
According to a press conference of the national crisis team the United Kingdom will be considered a "virus variant area" from 24 December 2021.

Details about the new entry requirements from the United Kingdom to Austria will be published as soon as possible. Please visit our website again at a later date.

Additional or legally binding information on entry requirements can only be provided by the responsible Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection: +43 1 71 100 86 22 86 or buergerservice(at)sozialministerium.at or the Ministry for Inner Affairs: +43 1 53 126-3100 or buergerservice(at)bmi.gv.at.

*** EDIT - Above link and quote since updated to change 24 Dec to 25 Dec. Still buggerall use for anyone flying on 26/27th.

8/8ths of buggerall use.

"Please visit our website at a later date" Shocked

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 22-12-21 15:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, hope you can help !! I have been in Swiss since the 17th, and then driving to Austria on the 26th to pick my other half up from Innsbruck. British plated car, Irish passport. Do you think I will need a PCR ? Or maybe better to get across the border before midnight Christmas Eve !!
snow report
@rachelharrisonsmith, I have done exactly that thank you, c&c then a Dropbox about half hour away, just hope it all works!! I was looking at Randox for our France trip for Boxing Day which was cancelled, tentatively booked Austria for the 27th, now keeping it all crossed.
snow conditions
Anyone know anything for a double vaxxed 16 year old with pcr?
ski holidays
@Thunderer21, I don't think the rules are retrospective. My guests who arrived from UK last weekend don't suddenly need to "upgrade" to Booster plus PCR. Carry your travel details with you plus your COVID Pass and you should be good.
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, just worried about crossing into Austria on the 26th and then arguing my case with the border guards !!
snow report
@Thunderer21, I assume if you go by the letter of the regulations you would have to comply with whatever the rules on entry from the UK are (not sure whether it is past 10 or 14 days). However the chances of being stopped are small (I cant ever remember seeing any Austrian officials only Swiss at any of the border posts though who knows at the moment) but maybe best get a test just in case? It makes no odds when you go as officially you still need a test and even if the exception only applies to EU citizens (though no evidence for that currently) no issue for you.
snow conditions
Once in, (if we can get in following the new rules), is it remaining as standard 2G rules for access to hotel, restaurants & ski lifts ?
snow conditions
Sitting on the plane flying from Munich to Heathrow. I was skiing in Kitzbuehel, and crossed the German/Austria boarder by taxi. Numerous checks at every stage, including at the gate. Also a passport check with a long wait. I would make your way to the gate around 1 hour before take-off.
snow report
The official entry requirements will be published here in due course:

https://www.bmk.gv.at/en/service/entry-requirements.html
snow report
@munich_irish, thanks, won’t apply to our friend from Germany, hopefully!
snow conditions
Lets hope we Brits are not excluded for our Non EU status.
snow conditions
Do randox fit to fly have a qr code

Last one I had just had generic code that was link to phone number. I usually just print all my documents as I hate all these apps!

Will printed certificate be enough?
snow report
@Poogle, May I ask what test you took before travelling from Austria to Germany and whether anyone asked to see it? Assuming you’d been in the UK in the past 10 days? Thanks
snow conditions
@munich_irish, a pcr test in Swiss is around 136chf, for not much more I might as well book a cheap hotel room in Innsbruck, cross prior to the deadline and not have the risk of a having a positive test and not been able to pick my partner up at the airport which would be a disaster !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poogle wrote:
Sitting on the plane flying from Munich to Heathrow. I was skiing in Kitzbuehel, and crossed the German/Austria boarder by taxi. Numerous checks at every stage, including at the gate. Also a passport check with a long wait. I would make your way to the gate around 1 hour before take-off.

Did you just do your lateral flow for getting back into the UK, nothing more?
snow report
UK news outlets now picking up on it. Common theme seems to be only boosted are exempt, effectively screwing it up for families Sad

Gutted. Hanging in on the off chance but I'm fully expecting Crystal to cancel our Monday trip (with our recovered 11 and 13 year olds) Sad

Just want to echo the thanks to those mentioned in the previous couple of pages, who have relentlessly contributed to this thread, helping out with local information and news etc. Sadly looks like for me, this trip at least is about to have the rug pulled.
ski holidays
Just got my booster with the aim to book something in Austria in the 1st week of Jan and now can't find a single thing to book Confused
latest report
Do kids need a pcr for Austria with proof of recovery?
ski holidays
@Thunderer21, apologies if I cant keep up with the daily changes, dont you need a test anyway to check into a hotel?
ski holidays
Due to fly Belfast - Salzburg 8th Feb. Myself and Mother (Both double jabbed and boosted) and 11 year old daughter who is not vaccinated. What is the situation with my daughter? Can she travel?
snow report
@munich_irish, not sure !!
snow conditions
@Gazzza, if you search through the last couple of pages, I’m sure that at least one person confirmed that the rules haven’t changed for children. It was a question raised at the press conference IIRC
ski holidays
rachelharrisonsmith wrote:
@Gazzza, if you search through the last couple of pages, I’m sure that at least one person confirmed that the rules haven’t changed for children. It was a question raised at the press conference IIRC

The quote about not changing for children could be taken either that they are as they were before the announcement, or that they would not be any different to any other country on the variant list...
ski holidays
JDgoesskiing wrote:
Do kids need a pcr for Austria with proof of recovery?

Info currently scant to non-existent, but following todays Austrian press conference UK is now a country of variant concern so UK visitors will be required to quarantine for 10 days on arrival, with the only exemption mentioned being those who have had boosters, which effectively rules out children who previously would have got in under 2G or 2G plus. But waiting for something official to be posted on Austrian gov websites.
snow report
johnboy wrote:
Due to fly Belfast - Salzburg 8th Feb. Myself and Mother (Both double jabbed and boosted) and 11 year old daughter who is not vaccinated. What is the situation with my daughter? Can she travel?

This is the old rule
Children under the age of 12 do not need proof of vaccination/recovery or a PCR test if accompanied by fully vaccinated or recovered adults.

Adults boosted did not need a PCR either.

Now boosted adults do need a PCR, my guess would be to apply the same logic, then it will be a PCR needed for Under 12. That would then be the same as a Ninja Pass for entry. Effecitvely extending the ninja pass!

However, I personally do not think anything will change. Austria are quite family friendly & probably represent much less risk & likely to be at home in the evenings compared to adults without children who are more likely to stay out later in the evenings, visit more establishments, come into contact with more people, etc.
snow report
@Gazzza, The person making the announcement (a public health official) was specifically asked about children and she said that there was going to be no change for them (dont ask me explain what the rules are currently its to complicated for me to keep up!). I agree that best wait for the government websites to be updated for the most accurate information, however I would suggest the only real question to be answered is if the exemption only applies to EU citizens, everything else is pretty clear. Going on holiday at the moment, especially with kids, is pretty stressful, you have to expect additional costs and changes in regulations at short notice, irritating though that is.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy