Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Surely they will remove this requirement as soon as possible. It would be a disaster for their ski resorts if it is still the same at the start of the season! It’s too much hassle to have a test within four days of arrival. I’m off to Obergurgl in March. I would just switch to another country. I expect most people would. Can you imagine the cost and hassle for a family of four?
On the flip side, you would have the slopes to yourself
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Eggfried, you're obviously not clear on the current regulations for visiting Austria. But of course it may all change by winter. I cannot envisage a situation where German tourists are not allowed in Austria, but I can envisage a situation where other tourists might need a "COVID passport".

And of course, Austria is not the only country with winter tourism. France, Italy, Switzerland, etc. might well do the same.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@queenie pretty please,
You are of course right. I just hope that things work out for all Snowheads this season.
Having been among the unlucky ones to have flown out to La Plagne on March 14th, only to be told virtually upon arrival that the resort is closing and we would be repatriated to the UK as soon as possible. And then the grief of trying to get anything back from our T/O. We just want a couple of stress free trips this season. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Eggfried, if you want stress-free trips, then I'd suggest waiting until there is a satisfactory solution to the worldwide pandemic.

I feel rather more sympathetic to the plight of the millions of people who have lost loved ones, jobs, livelihoods and/or have long term health problems as a result of this pandemic. I won't lose any sleep over a few middle class Brits who don't manage to get a stress-free holiday. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Eggfried, it is difficult to predict what the situation will be next week let alone next March. If you are an optimist there will be vaccines and the whole thing will be over if you are a pessimist then there will be rampant virus and basically no ski season for brits. Not sure what country you would switch to, the restrictions are pretty much the same everywhere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eggfried wrote:
We just want a couple of stress free trips this season. Fingers crossed.

I suspect the uncertainty, with the likelihood of sudden spikes or clusters / lockdowns /14 day quarantines during the winter months, will make the coming season problematical. An acceptance of this new reality and being relaxed about things changing at a moments notice, will be key imo.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Here is my earlier post, no current restrictions on UK residents entering Germany, I’ve checked the official site using the link below.

For those driving with the ever changing situation across Europe, I'm reposting the links (in one place) so you can check if there are any changes to the entry requirements also the documentation you need to complete to leave (into France) and return to the UK

Leaving the UK to enter France complete and print out: https://www.eurotunnel.com/Eurotunnel/files/3f/3f474b02-0e9f-4992-a3d8-4d4944cdcef3.pdf

Belgium entry requirements: https://unitedkingdom.diplomatie.belgium.be/en

Germany entry requirements : https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus

The Netherlands entry requirements: https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/qas-travel-restrictions-for-the-netherlands

Returning to the UK complete 48hrs before return : https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Austria entry requirements: https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

Apart from the french form, they are all links to official government sites.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Eggfried, if you want stress-free trips, then I'd suggest waiting until there is a satisfactory solution to the worldwide pandemic.

I feel rather more sympathetic to the plight of the millions of people who have lost loved ones, jobs, livelihoods and/or have long term health problems as a result of this pandemic. I won't lose any sleep over a few middle class Brits who don't manage to get a stress-free holiday. rolling eyes

People are losing livelihoods precisely because people are not able to go on holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queenie pretty please,
I lost my Father to Covid. We couldn’t even say our goodbyes to him in the hospital. So I fully appreciate that holidays are not of the upmost importance. But life goes on. We are in our early 60’s, and we have, and continue take all the precautions we can to stay safe and observe all the rules and guidances. More than most as far as I can see! We work very hard and go without many other niceties to pay for these trips. So I have no reservations about hoping for a hassle free trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
French entry requirements, once you enter the page scroll down to contents, it's the second paragraph that has the link to the section that applies to UK residents

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-foreign-nationals-in-france/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belgium travel now a problem. Not clear if driving straight through is acceptable or not.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bennyboy1 I'm working on the basis that you can not drive through Belgium or Luxembourg, i'm not sure whether that is right or not, the whole thing is a farce imv, political points scoring nonsense.

So we are due to drive down via Eurotunnel on 28th, currently thinking we'll have to go Rheims and cut into Germany via Saarbruecken etc, but who knows I wouldn't be surprised if France is next on the list, the media appear to be talking it up, and that's presumably BoZo feeding the BBC his soundbites. I just looked at P&O Hull/ Rotterdam and they've hiked their prices which would be £800 return, so that's out.

It's looking ever more doubtful but we don't need to decie yet so will keep everything crossed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If France goes on the list, then we`re stuffed. But driving through Belgium/Luxemburg, just switch your phone off for that part of the journey, or at least on Flight mode.

Its whether Germany insist on something when you enter them at Schengen.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, if you are driving straight through they should say it’s ok. Stupid situation, a farce as you say. I think adding France may be a couple of weeks away as they would want families to be able to work on return and kids at school.

Would you consider flying instead? We gave up on the car and decided to fly to Munich some time ago (mainly as decided to leave our dog in the uk).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jafa,
Quote:

Its whether Germany insist on something when you enter them at Schengen.

I think that's more the issue - I can see Germany setting up border patrols very soon...
snow report
@Bennyboy1, Nah, planes arent us atm......the point of our planned trip is to hike, bike (our own mtb's) and rescue our ski gear we had to leave in winter when we got booted out at short notice!
snow report
@jafa, turning your phone off doesn’t stop it from sending a ping. You need to remove the battery, if you can.

Belgium’s on the list, though France is still speculative, no firm announcement, unless I missed it.
latest report
Strange that every site ive looked at says if the phone is switched off, then no one knows where that phone is located. Certainly when ive watched Cop programmes, they`ve been frustrated when a phone signal cant be traced because the phone is either off, or the battery run down.
ski holidays
@jafa, It used to be that a mobile would send a random ping, even when turned off, with smartphones it maybe turned off but some do still run software in the background. You would probably MI5 to get the info, its more likely that they would pull information from the overhead cameras if they were desperate. There was a TV thriller series that showed the hero taking out the battery after every call he made. I don’t want to go of thread on this! Edit, checkout Quora for more answers.

Getting to Austria is as you probably know is pretty straightforward through France, a pain to pay the tolls.
ski holidays
.....or the car tracker if it has one.
snow report
Eggfried wrote:
@queenie pretty please,
I lost my Father to Covid. We couldn’t even say our goodbyes to him in the hospital. So I fully appreciate that holidays are not of the upmost importance. But life goes on. We are in our early 60’s, and we have, and continue take all the precautions we can to stay safe and observe all the rules and guidances. More than most as far as I can see! We work very hard and go without many other niceties to pay for these trips. So I have no reservations about hoping for a hassle free trip.

So sorry to read that. How awful. It certainly puts things into perspective.
ski holidays
Why don't you just obey the rules? We are all in this together.................allegedley
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
Eggfried wrote:
@queenie pretty please,

So sorry to read that. How awful. It certainly puts things into perspective.

Understand the perspective. But perhaps it's less stressful to wait for the following season, the money saved from 2021 season should pay for a few extra niceties in 2022?
ski holidays
@Maersk, rules? You mean the don’t travel Cummings ones? Either way folks have every right to travel, unless you know something different? Mainland Europe is In general much safer than U.K. despite the bs that is spread via our media....you know more?
latest report
Quote:

queenie pretty please
snowHead
Eggfried wrote:
@queenie pretty please,

So sorry to read that. How awful. It certainly puts things into perspective

Thank you. But you are right, there are far more important considerations right now.
Let’s hope things get better ASAP.
ski holidays
Quote:

Understand the perspective. But perhaps it's less stressful to wait for the following season, the money saved from 2021 season should pay for a few extra niceties in 2022?

You are probably right. But you are talking to a keen skier who due to a knee injury hasn’t been able to ski for the last 25 years.
finally we get to La Plagne on the 14th March (you can’t imagine how happy I was) and they send us straight home!!
I’m too long in the tooth to get stressed. But hassle free would be so nice this time !!
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@jafa, turning your phone off doesn’t stop it from sending a ping. You need to remove the battery, if you can.

Belgium’s on the list, though France is still speculative, no firm announcement, unless I missed it.
No phone I have ever seen does this ( I have worked in development of mobile phone chips n sw since 1990... ). Maybe I missed some tho. You have some evidence?
latest report
Lots of evidence in TV shows such as Homeland and 24, etc. wink

The only sure way not to be tracked it to take out the battery then smah your phone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, I must be reading the wrong novels but in the books I read the tracking device is always added to the baggage or car of some one travelling in the opposite direction. After all they are tracking the phone not the person who owns it
ski holidays
Eat your sim card too!

http://youtube.com/v/zoZe8sJnMWk
ski holidays
Anyway I'm now on my way to the dolomites. I'll report on each country as we pass though it if my wife is driving that section
ski holidays
Good luck, hope you remembered to take a couple of burners.
ski holidays
@johnE, This is the link to the Italian Foreign ministry , you need to complete a declaration can't recall if we covered this earlier

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministero/normativaonline/decreto-iorestoacasa-domande-frequenti/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia.html

The form: https://www.esteri.it/mae/resource/doc/2020/07/modulo_rientro_da_estero_17_luglio_eng.pdf
latest report
@Markymark29, Torygraph says as long as you don’t stop whilst driving through Belgium it is within the rules for no quarantine on return.
snow report
......so it must be try rolling eyes

But offers some hope??
snow conditions
@radar, We drove to Tuscany from Munich yesterday, the place we are staying is quiet and has folk from Holland and Germany (there were a brit couple who left this morning to drive all the way back to UK), no need for any forms. Beyond the mask thing in supermarkets, entering restaurants all as you would expect, very hot and sunny with perhaps fewer middle class northern Europeans than normal!
snow report
@munich_irish, lots of German and Dutch, few Belgians and the odd French in Saalbach

The form is new, got an alert from FCO yesterday, will add it to the French ones Very Happy
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, as posted elsewhere:

“ Private vehicles
You don’t need to self-isolate if you travel through a non-exempt country and you don’t stop in the country.

If you do make a stop, you don’t need to self-isolate if:

no new people get into the vehicle
no-one in the vehicle gets out, mixes with other people, and gets in again
You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

new people get into the vehicle, or
someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors#transit-stops
snow report
@DJL, Thank you, non stop through Belgium it is Very Happy
snow conditions
Ok we are in France now heading along the a4 towards saarbrucken.
There was a slight hold up at the tunnel but in fact at an hour delay less than usual. And it was an August Saturday.
Basically everything is progressing as expected except it's very hot out there 37 degrees.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy