Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Tiefschneetaucher, not true

Quote from Federal Health Ministry site

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus/infos-reisende/faq-tests-einreisende.html

Quote:
Before departure, please be prepared that your carrier (e.g. airline) will request an up-to-date PCR test from you before you travel if you have been in a virus variant area at any time in the ten days prior to entry . After your arrival, further PCR tests can be arranged by the health department at the airport or at the location of isolation / quarantine. Please note the 14-day quarantine obligation, which also applies to vaccinated and recovered people. It is not possible to shorten the quarantine period.

But this is only relevant if you have German nationality or residency.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cacciatore wrote:
I was chatting to one of the Hutte owners earlier today who mentioned that 27 flights from the UK arrived at Innsbruck yesterday Shocked . I’ve not verified that but, there’s definitely concern that the Brits are bringing Omicron on holiday with them…

That sounds like a lot (normally don't get 27 commercial flights a day in total...), but looking at the arrivals board today (can't go back in time) 16 of the 22 flights are from the UK Shocked so as yesterday was at the weekend, I guess it's possible.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gresty, well they soon tell us if there’s a time change or whatever, they wanted my approval the other day for a time change of 10 mins later for my flight back on Thursday! As in, accept or decline and get a full refund! A lot wouldn’t bother asking you and just tell you it had changed for that small amount of time.
So I am sure if there was anything more they’d be on the email or text.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, perhaps they have been diverted from Munich Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hrooney18 wrote:
Hi,
We are hoping to travel from Dublin on the 27th through Munich. We are 21 days post booster but the app isn't updated yet. We have flimsy cardboard vaccination booster cards. Will they be accepted or will we need PCR TESTS?

Same will be true for all Irish residents - the card they gave you that has the printed vaccine type and batch number etc will do for the booster along with EU covid cert for the first two. Have friends there now and this was fine for entry for them. We go on 26th via Munich too and and have PCR for our 13 year old but relying on the booster card for adults.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have booked back up flights to Salzburg. Some posters above (Germany based so guessing should know) indicate transit apart from via flight no longer allowed, others seem to be hoping that’s not the case but no one has posted that they’ve done it successfully today which would be definitive!
I haven’t had an email from Lufthansa either way.
Anyone actually been able to make the transfer to Austria today from Munich?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
@Mankei, That is my interpretation. Though the car bit is pretty moot as getting across the channel is well nigh impossible if you are in the UK.

This is from the Lufthansa website, updated this morning

Quote:
Lufthansa is currently only allowed to carry the following booked passengers on departures (or travel commencements) from the countries of the Virus variant areas:

- Passengers with German nationality or passengers with a valid residence permit in Germany (upon presentation of a German registration certificate). These passengers (aged 12 years and older) must present a negative PCR test result at the time of departure. The test must not have been carried out more than 72 hours before the planned arrival time in Germany. An online registration on the website http://www.einreiseanmeldung.de is also required. (also valid for passenger with a German nationality with a connecting flight).

- Passengers of other nationalities, but only if they have a connecting flight to a destination outside Germany and do not leave the transit area in Frankfurt or Munich. Also in this case, a negative PCR test must be carried out no longer than 72 hours before the scheduled time of arrival in the transit area in Germany.

- All guests with final destination in Germany must follow the local German quarantine regulations. Information about this can be found on the pages of the German Federal Ministry of Health Arrivals from the above-mentioned virus variant countries are currently subject to a 14-day quarantine obligation in Germany, which cannot be terminated prematurely.

Pretty clear Lufthansa will NOT be transporting passengers from the UK you if you are not a German resident or directly transferring to another flight. No transiting to Austria or anywhere else!

Contrary to the above and also from the Lufthansa website - highlighting Section B:
Traveling to Germany from Areas of Variants of Concern:

a. Entering Germany from Areas of Variants of Concern:

Only German nationals, their immediate family members and holders of German resident permit are allowed to enter Germany.
All passengers (all nationalities) older than 12 years must provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test result (digital or printed, in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish), taken within 72 hours before entry into Germany. This includes travelers who additionally hold a vaccination or immunity certificate. Please note that only a negative COVID PCR test result will be accepted, even if below Timatic information may list other acceptable tests.
Travelers must register online before departure
Travelers are required to enter a general 14-day quarantine. Vaccinated customers, with a vaccination that works against the virus variant of the country of origin, as defined by the RKI, are exempt from the 14 day quarantine.

b. Transiting Germany from Areas of Variants of Concern to any destination outside Germany:

All travelers transiting in Germany from an Area of Variants of Concern must provide a negative COVID-19 PCR test result (digital or printed, in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish), taken within 72 hours before entry into Germany. This includes travelers who additionally hold a vaccination or immunity certificate. Please note that only a negative COVID PCR test result will be accepted, even if below Timatic information may list other acceptable tests. This requirement must be adhered to regardless of/additional to the entry requirements of the destination country.

An online registration is not necessary.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gaz_H, I think 'transit' in this context means remaining airside and then taking another flight out of Germany - so you don't go through any passport / immigration control to 'enter' Germany.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaz_H, but transit in this case means changing planes, not leaving the airport. I would be happy to be proved wrong but there seems little room for doubt. If you want to go to Austria from the UK unless you are a German national / resident you will have to do the entire journey by air. Another potential option is to fly into Zürich and take train or (expensive) hire car from there, similar distance as from Munich to much of the Tirol.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-12-21 17:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Over the week a friend had been told by Four Seasons transfers at Munich Airport that they could honour her booking to Austria but this morning cancelled her booking, lucky she was able to re route to Innsbruck
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In case anyone is going to Austria with 12-15 year olds over Christmas. Tyrol has sent the “Ninja pass” rules. This coupled with the free PCR tests from SPA and Mpreis works for 2G

Link here :

https://info.bmlrt.gv.at/dam/jcr:63a4048e-5f1e-46fb-86d1-97ab0dbcf17d/Holiday_Ninja_Pass_16122021_3.pdf?utm_campaign=Covid-B2C_20-12-21&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Covid-Info-B2C
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am not sure what Antigen is in the Austrian context but we were again able to use the NHS confirmation email for todays LFT. This alongside the previous PCR (now expired) worked at the ticket office.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Matrix, its not for all 15 year olds - only 15 year olds born after 1 September 2006 - that's quite a lot of them that won't be eligible, unfortunately.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rachelharrisonsmith, yes sorry I didn’t spot that
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The whole testing thing has been quite a stressful experience since a positive test means quarantine and no way home. If it were Omicron that would be 14 days I think.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
perhaps they have been diverted from Munich Very Happy

No idea if they did, but in the case of TO charter flights where all passengers are getting straight onto coaches to Austria, it would actually be very sensible.
snow report
rachelharrisonsmith wrote:
@Matrix, its not for all 15 year olds - only 15 year olds born after 1 September 2006 - that's quite a lot of them that won't be eligible, unfortunately.

Unless…………..pre-departure PCR (within 72 hrs) + double vaccination PROOF (paper printout from the doctors listing all my 15 yo daughters vaccinations)……
……OR pre-departure PCR + proof of recovery (180 days for single vaccine, 270 days double vaccine)…….
…….OR pre-departure PCR + the Austrian medical certificate completed by doctor/doctors letter/NHS positive covid letter…..
OR………..all of the above which I managed to get.
P.S. she’s May 2006 birthday.
Also, the hotel reception seem to push the ninja pass however we already had the lift passes sorted on the transfer from Innsbruck!
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
perhaps they have been diverted from Munich Very Happy

No idea if they did, but in the case of TO charter flights where all passengers are getting straight onto coaches to Austria, it would actually be very sensible.

It would definitely be more sensible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a TO use Munich actually for Austrian ski holidays, it always seems to be Innsbruck or Salzburg.
ski holidays
@surfnspear, proof of recovery is like the top trumps card.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, except the Germans probably wouldn’t want that. They would need to stamp your passport etc
latest report
Matrix wrote:

Well there's still the PCR requirement, but agreed, without her recovery pass, my single jabbed 16YO would be having to go down the Ninja Pass route, and that sounds like a PITA...

I thought that the NHS app with recovery certificates was supposed to be made available to under 16s now?
snow conditions
Matrix wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, except the Germans probably wouldn’t want that. They would need to stamp your passport etc

They wouldn’t want what?
snow conditions
ratechaser wrote:
Matrix wrote:

Well there's still the PCR requirement, but agreed, without her recovery pass, my single jabbed 16YO would be having to go down the Ninja Pass route, and that sounds like a PITA...

I thought that the NHS app with recovery certificates was supposed to be made available to under 16s now?

Proof of recovery was only the NHS COVID positive email….and the doctor filled in the Austrian gov official form……..zero q-codes except the fit to fly PCR.
ski holidays
@munich_iris, that same website for entry into Germany also says:

Der Testnachweis muss sich jeweils auf einen Test beziehen, der maximal 48 Stunden (bei Antigen-Tests) oder 72 Stunden (PCR) zurückliegt. Für die Berechnung dieser Zeiträume ist der Zeitpunkt der Einreise maßgeblich. Bei Virusvariantengebieten verkürzt sich die Frist bei Antigen-Tests auf 24 Stunden.

I.e. antigen test still acceptable.

Maybe Lufthansa make their own rules. Anyway we’re German (apart from my husband but he’s married to me Laughing ) so we will risk driving to Munich with our antigen tests to board our flight back to the UK. Should they stop us at the border and refuse us entry, then we’ll just have to stay in Austria for another couple of days!
latest report
Honestly... Crystal... I got the one week out 'check requirements' email from them just now. Have had a look at Austria, and they have really made a mess of it for those of us with 16/17YOs... it's saying that to get into the country, recovery proof is fine for 18+ adults, but for 16/17, you have to be fully vaxxed.

I'd post a screenshot but I'm still new here so not worked out the process (or if I'm even allowed...)
snow report
Still struggling to get a definitive answer on whether I can travel to Munich from Austria by car on Wednesday to then return to uk.
The more I read up on it the more confusing it gets.
Lufthansa doesnt seems to require a negative PCR but will I get turned around at the Austria/German border (assuming they're checking) for not having one.
So tempted now to drop the hire car off in Salzburg (despite the 450 euro charge) and fly home from there.
ski holidays
@Tiefschneetaucher, I assumed you were asking about travel into Germany (I thought you might be German given your user name Very Happy ). As far as I know return travel to the UK only needs a pre departure LFT. Your issue might be if someone works out you left the UK less than 10 days ago when entering Germany from Austria but it is unlikely, though assume more checking now taking place. I guess you and your family could also travel the other way, in theory you would have to quarantine but assume if you travel onto to Austria you could spend the 14 days there!
snow report
@gresty, fully vaccinated adults are free to enter Germany from Austria.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@surfnspear, I'm glad that you've managed to sort your daughter out, but I'm trying to highlight that its worth checking the small print of the ninja pass. My son doesn't have covid recovery and doesn't fall into the ninja pass age group, so is considered 16 and so requires proof of double vaccination to check into the hotel/go skiing. He can get into the country on one jab and a PCR but that's not much use.

I'm interested in the hotel pushing the ninja pass - we were wondering how strict they are going to be on the cut off date, but its too risky to be the one to find out that they are being strict.

@ratechaser, just seen that! It doesn't help, does it? My son with one jab and a PCR is OK to enter the country, IIRC
snow conditions
@gresty, there’s no border with people checking anything you just drive over an imaginary line in the road.
If you’re worried why not get a PCR done in Kufstein or somewhere?
I can’t guarantee it of course but if you’ve done your lateral flow and got the result certificate for that, if anyone did stop you and ask you I’m sure if you said I’m on my way back to drop the hire car and fly home that would be perfectly reasonable.
I’ve not heard anything from Four Seasons saying they can’t take me back and nothing saying I have to do a PCR so I wouldn’t worry about it.
snow conditions
ratechaser wrote:
Honestly... Crystal... I got the one week out 'check requirements' email from them just now. Have had a look at Austria, and they have really made a mess of it for those of us with 16/17YOs... it's saying that to get into the country, recovery proof is fine for 18+ adults, but for 16/17, you have to be fully vaxxed.

I'd post a screenshot but I'm still new here so not worked out the process (or if I'm even allowed...)

That’s Crystal messing up, not Austria. Recovery has the same status for kids as adults.
ski holidays
For anyone going to Austria in the next week have you got your lft for the return or does anyone know if they are available out there? Hoping to go to Scheffau, keeping everything crossed.
latest report
With the current rules for arriving to Munich I’m reminded of my trip to Innsbruck about four years ago. Coming in to land the captain announced that due to low cloud cover he would try to land but if he could not see the runway by the time the plane was a few hundred feet above the ground, then he would abort the landing and divert to Munich. Sure enough we never did break through the clouds and went on to Munich and a long coach trip back to Innsbruck.
I wonder how that would turn out now.
latest report
rfb111 wrote:
hrooney18 wrote:
Hi,
We are hoping to travel from Dublin on the 27th through Munich. We are 21 days post booster but the app isn't updated yet. We have flimsy cardboard vaccination booster cards. Will they be accepted or will we need PCR TESTS?

Same will be true for all Irish residents - the card they gave you that has the printed vaccine type and batch number etc will do for the booster along with EU covid cert for the first two. Have friends there now and this was fine for entry for them. We go on 26th via Munich too and and have PCR for our 13 year old but relying on the booster card for adults.

Thanks for this info. Fingers crossed we get to go.
snow report
feefee wrote:
For anyone going to Austria in the next week have you got your lft for the return or does anyone know if they are available out there? Hoping to go to Scheffau, keeping everything crossed.

Yes, they are available, but are called antigen tests. Some info here: https://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/service/corona-test-facilities.html and also in pharmacies (25€).
ski holidays
Thanks all. I think I'll try Munich first with my LFT test. Hopefully that's enough.
At times I'm enjoying the challenge of getting home but then there's another complication to consider and it adds to the stress.
latest report
It is absolutely mind boggling how they can’t make the rules clearer. Everyone on this forum seems confused about what’s allowed and what isn’t, right? We’re all looking for answers so we can do the right thing but there are no answers to be found. Crazy. This nonsense has to stop. Hate this pandemic!
latest report
It would help if there was one source of truth where you could go to for a definitive answer.
Unfortunately each government/airline issues an array of incomplete and contradictory information. Added to this there's the delays in updating the information as the rules change.

I'm still glad I traveled (or at least I am so far) but it has made me reconsider my next trip in late Jan.
snow report
@gresty, my next one isn’t until Feb 6th as I’ve got to do work in all of Jan but I’m glad because I’ve managed to get two quiet snowy trips in early season done which is lower risk to me too simply because there’s far fewer people about.
I might not bother with the Feb trip, I’m thinking of adding an extra week to Canada instead in March but it sounds like it’s going wrong there now too (Quebec)
latest report
@Scarlet, thank you Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy