Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

tatmanstours wrote:
Even so, it’s greatly concerning if there are currently no I.C.U. beds available, should you be unfortunate enough to need one.

I think that's a bit sensationalist, 33% of ICU beds are free. There are currently more beds occupied by corona patients than is comfortable, but the health service is not turning away emergency cases even if you may have to wait for an elective bed.

@Scarlet, my comment was admittedly coloured by the fact that on 10th November my wife was being considered for an I.C.U. bed and intubation (for a non-Covid related lung infection) at Salzburg hospital. However I was told that no beds or ventilators were available, as they were all taken by Covid patients (presumably most of them unvaccinated). Sadly she developed severe breathing problems during the following night and died. I shall never know whether she might have survived, had a bed/ventilator been available, and had it therefore been possible to transfer her (from Zell am See I.C.U.) to Salzburg for intubation, and had the decision been made that it was clinically necessary. However I was left with the feeling that the doctors at Zell were presented by Salzburg with a fait accompli, which rendered it academic to make such a decision, so they effectively just soldiered on with administering oxygen.

So tales of I.C.U. being full or under extreme pressure, and assumptions being made that the pressure will have abated by the time the Christmas/New Year tourist masses arrive, worry me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike Pow, the 2G rules will apply, you need to be vaccinated with your second vaccination no more than 270 day old, this is to access hotel accommodation, Restaurants and bars.

If you have had the booster it will appear in the app, quickly if you had it at a medical centre weeks if you went to the chemist.

Take printouts for the proof of vaccination, with QR code, just incase the app doesn't work.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, So sorry to hear that. Clearly, there are individual experiences that go against the figures being displayed on the AGES dashboard, and there will also be regional disparities.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris_n wrote:
€25 in a Pharmacy, free in a test centre.

Excellent

Many thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
If you have had the booster it will appear in the app, quickly if you had it at a medical centre weeks if you went to the chemist
Got my booster yesterday at a local chemist. Pleased to say it's appeared in the NHS App today Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
radar wrote:
@Mike Pow, the 2G rules will apply, you need to be vaccinated with your second vaccination no more than 270 day old, this is to access hotel accommodation, Restaurants and bars.

If you have had the booster it will appear in the app, quickly if you had it at a medical centre weeks if you went to the chemist.

Take printouts for the proof of vaccination, with QR code, just incase the app doesn't work.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, indeed, who knows what impact the mass influx of tourists will have on regional/localised pressures?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict, thanks, will follow up with my Chemist
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, I’m very sorry to hear about your wife.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, oh my God. I am so, so sorry, please accept my deepest condolences. (We have never met, but I have seen many photos of you and your beautiful wife on the facebook pages of mutual friends.)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tatmanstours, so very sad to hear the sad news about your wife, please also accept my deepest condolences
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours, my thoughts are with you.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
tatmanstours, my thoughts are with you.
Me too. So sorry to read such awful news.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, how very sad. Very good wishes to you, what a miserable time you have had. xx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, so sorry to hear this news Richard. My thoughts are with you.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, so very sorry to hear about your sad news. It certainly puts all our holidays worries into perspective.
snow report
@tatmanstours, my condolences on your awful news. Terrible, terrible situation.
snow report
@tatmanstours, So sorry to read about your wife, my thoughts are with you through this tough time.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
[b] There may be a requirement to test before being able to stay in a hotel as opposed to a self catering apartment.

I’ve heard, from some friends, that they’d been asked, by an hotel in Germany, to provide a test in addition to their 2G status but not a thing about this being a possible requirement anywhere in Austria. Could you enlighten? Thanks Smile
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, it wouldn’t surprise me if a test of some sorts to enter Austria or the accommodation (if it’s shared) was brought in. Funnily enough I ordered another one ready just in case as it can always be used on another trip later in the season….I can’t see this testing malarkey going away anytime soon.
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, There was talk in Vienna about implementing 2G Plus (2G + neg PCR) for everything that would be 2G elsewhere, but at the moment that couldn't be implemented anywhere else as there isn't anywhere near the capacity for PCR testing outside of Vienna. I hope nobody in power decides that's a good idea – it would kill the restaurant industry and probably hurt a lot of others too Confused
snow report
@Scarlet, agreed, where would it ever end!? Shocked
snow conditions
@Scarlet, totally agree.

Hereabouts practically all the PCR test centres have now closed down. I think I also read that the previously free lateral flow tests (DIY kits from the chemists) are also no longer available (free) - as of yesterday.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours,
Sorry to hear about your wife, totally unfair.
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, I don't think the DIY kits are accepted for anything now, so I guess it doesn't make sense to keep giving them out (for those reading from the UK, self testing every time you go out was never a thing here). There are a few PCR centres still, I guess so that people can go to work, but they are very inconvenient for attending regularly. I heard there was some kind of gargle PCR test you can pick up in the Spar and drop in a box, but I understand they were having a lot pf problems meeting demand, with tests having to be rationed, and results taking ages.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, @Hurtle, @nahdendee, @Chris_n, @mountainaddict, @Pamski, @Austrian Seagull, @maggi, @rob@rar, @Yorksboy, and DB and Jo225 and sparklingspringwater
Thanks to all of you. I was expressing a serious concern about the possible impact of opening up tourism (which I realise is inevitable) on the already stretched Austrian medical services and I.C.U.s, rather than looking for sympathy - but since you’re offering, I’ll eagerly lap it up Crying or Very sad Hard to get enthusiastic about anything, including skiing, but the conditions are currently perfect, so I’ll be out there later this week.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 7-12-21 16:55; edited 3 times in total
snow report
@tatmanstours, I'm so, so sorry to hear your sad news. How absolutely awful. As Hurtle says above, we have mutual friends & I've seen lots of Facebook photos of you both in happier times. Please accept my condolences xxx
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, you deserve to enjoy every one of your turns, so I hope you do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, very sorry to hear, my condolences.
ski holidays
Cacciatore wrote:
Chris_n wrote:
[b] There may be a requirement to test before being able to stay in a hotel as opposed to a self catering apartment.

I’ve heard, from some friends, that they’d been asked, by an hotel in Germany, to provide a test in addition to their 2G status but not a thing about this being a possible requirement anywhere in Austria. Could you enlighten? Thanks Smile

The only reason I said that was the Press were saying that hotels and gastronomy will open but there could be further requirements, details will be released tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't testing but didn't want to totally rule it out in the context of the question.
latest report
@tatmanstours, so sorry to hear about your wife. Hope you and all your family are doing ok
snow report
@Scarlet, 2G+ is used in some places in Germany for restaurant access. The last few days that bars & clubs were open in Munich it was 2G+, the places that needed tests set up their own testing stations (lateral flow). Works OK for larger places but impractical for the more normal smaller places. It is easy to get a test around here, unvaccinated people need a daily test to go to work. PCR would be impossible.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, while that would be annoying, the infrastructure is in place for antigen testing from earlier in the year, and as you say, for going to work with 3G. However, Austria seems to have become obsessed with PCR testing (I think that was the rule for going to work for a couple of weeks, but it was soon abandoned when PCR infrastructure fell over Confused ) even though the system is mired in scandal (contracts for mates, personal info leaked online...) and is horrendously expensive. Forcing people to test also undermines the vaccination drive.
snow report
From Orf.at

Quote:
Upper Austria will remain in lockdown until December 17th

In any case, Upper Austria will remain in lockdown longer than in the rest of Austria. All measures apply there until December 17th. In view of the opening announcement by Nehammer, calls for an earlier lockdown end are also louder in Upper Austria, but Governor Thomas Stelzer (ÖVP) rejected these requests on Tuesday. The numbers from the hospitals for Upper Austria would not yet provide that.

Hmmmm Sad
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
Chris_n wrote:

The only reason I said that was the Press were saying that hotels and gastronomy will open but there could be further requirements, details will be released tomorrow. Hopefully it isn't testing but didn't want to totally rule it out in the context of the question.

Alles klar Smile
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, I'm so sorry to hear your awful news. Like many on here I followed your posts and times in Saalbach with your family closely, which always seemed to be full of happiness.
ski holidays
Interestingly I've just seen the following on the Serfaus-fiss-Ladis website:

"Vaccines with two vaccine doses: A vaccination is only considered to be evidence of a low epidemiological risk if it has been fully immunized. This proof is issued from the day of the 2nd vaccination and is valid for 270 days. After that, a third vaccination is required.

Third vaccination: The third vaccination (or, in the case of single vaccines, the second vaccination) is valid for 270 days. There must be at least 120 days between the second and third vaccination."

The last sentence appears to be new. The UK govt is planning to offer all adults a booster after 3 months. This hasn't quite come into effect yet, but this could have consequences for those who get their boosters bang on 3 months when it does.

My condolences on your loss @tatmanstours.
snow report
@Cacciatore, I believe that he made comments along those lines a couple of days back. Wonder what will happen in Land Salzburg as similar comments were made there.
ski holidays
@Noymychashkachaia, don't worry about it. Austria is handing out boosters at 4 months, so will run into the same issue with its own population around June. It is an arbitrary date set to encourage people to take up their boosters, and will likely change in the future. Also, I don't think the date changes officially until about February.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 7-12-21 18:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@munich_irish, no idea. Both State’s have had, broadly, similar infection spikes and then declines. They both instigated a lockdown policy until the 17th, originally. I guess it will come down to the ICU bed status.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy