Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks everyone, for both the information and reassurance! I had already planned to take some NHS tests with us to take before the "official" paid-for test. @ousekjarr, I thought the quarantine was 10 days? Whatever. It will still mess up Christmas and my family won't be happy.

We are in a the Vaya, BB and dinner and lovely spa and pool, which probably won't be open, now. Husband's (big!) birthday treat so I really hope it goes smoothly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambionskiis, at that point in the proto pandemic, unless you were tested and confirmed to have Covid, the chances are about 99.99% that you had a cold or flu virus, a throat/chest infection, or something else which you would normally have a chance of getting over winter anyway and which you'd shrug off as just one of those things. The number of known cases in the whole of Europe on 28th February 2020 was about 200, with 39 in France. If you were not ill enough to need medical treatment and therefore be tested, you are highly unlikely to have had Covid.

If everyone who claims they may have had Covid in early 2020 was correct, we'd have reached herd immunity by the end of March 2020. It's human nature to wonder whether the illness you had could have been that unidentified new threat, but the reality is that it almost certainly wasn't.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ousekjarr, I was tested for antibodies in early June 2020. I'm pretty sure now that I caught Covid in Bad Gastein in early March, as I quarantined when I got back as I knew there had been cases there. Then there was lockdown here. I wasn't ill and was astounded when antibodies were found. I can't believe I caught it in England as I didn't mix with anyone or even hear of anyone I knew catching it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the quarantine duration, it is both variable and not very clear...

There is an FAQ document at https://www.sozialministerium.at/dam/jcr:d36ce9e9-6f6d-40a5-9284-5caa9a7a9b0c/Frequently%20asked%20questions%20-%20Coronavirus.pdf (ignore the appendices which list countries in each category as this is woefully out of date), which references the guidance of the RKI at https://www.sozialministerium.at/dam/jcr:531f7e21-0f53-4180-b214-848e19668b52/Empfehlung_fuer_die_Gesundheitsbehoerden_zur_Entlassung_von_COVID-19-Faellen_aus_der_Absonderung.pdf

This has multiple categories:

1. Severe symptomatic cases requiring oxygen - at least 10 days and a negative PCR result (presumably on the basis that at this point you are well past the point of infection?)
2. Minor symptomatic cases not requiring oxygen - at least 14 days plus 48 hours free of symptoms, or at least 10 days plus 48 hours free from symptoms, plus a negative PCR result (longer because you may still be on the upward curve?)
3. Asymptomatic cases - at least 14 days after the positive test, or at least 10 days plus a negative PCR (again, could have been detected in the very early stages?)

There are further options for vaccinated people to be released after 5 days with a negative PCR, but only if testing capacity allows for that, and for anyone confirmed to have the Omicron variant, it is 10 days regardless of vaccination status or testing capacity, plus 48 hours symptom free, plus a negative PCR (so that could be anything from 10 to 13+ days)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
To go back to basics, which I think I covered back on page 15 or something, of the 1.137M tests carried out in the UK today, 4.5% (1 in 25) of those tested, tested positive.

Mostly symptomatic though. Generally you can double that number for total cases including those undetected.

Zoe has the number of those with Covid in U.K. at one million if I am reading it correctly

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data#interactive-map
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple of questions for the better informed than me.

1. For the return LFT, I assume I can take something like this (c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel) with me, rather than finding a provider locally in Austria.
2. Where is your return LFT result/certificate checked, before boarding by the airline, arrival in UK, somewhere else?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gresty,
1 - those tests have been discussed at length on one of the other threads on here. Might be worth searching for that thread.
2 - when I went to Spain earlier this year the result was checked when checking in for the flight back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gresty, the experience over the past 6 months is that nobody "official" checks the UK LFT. There have been innumerable cases of test results not being returned but nothing happening as a result. You do need to show it as part of the check in process for your flight (or tunnel/ferry) along with your pre departure test. From everything I have heard & experienced no one checks the forms etc on arrival in the UK, which has also been my experience arriving in both Switzerland & Germany from the UK.

Not quite sure why the worry now over pre departure tests, they were in place until early October with no big issue?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gresty, you can prebook a return to the UK test with one of the government approved providers and take it with you, then upload the results to the company who will verify it.

The airline will ask for proof, they will be fined if they allow you to board without confirmation of the negative test result.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gresty wrote:
A couple of questions for the better informed than me.

1. For the return LFT, I assume I can take something like this (c19testing.co.uk/rapidtravel) with me, rather than finding a provider locally in Austria.
2. Where is your return LFT result/certificate checked, before boarding by the airline, arrival in UK, somewhere else?

1. Yes you can, it just might cost you more than a local test and you obviously need to have them in your possession before you leave the UK.
2. The airline will check at check-in (if using the desk) and again at boarding.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
munich_irish wrote:
Not quite sure why the worry now over pre departure tests, they were in place until early October with no big issue?

I noticed this too, but back then they largely only affected residents in other countries, going to the UK to visit their families and friends – people like me and you. As we live among dirty foreign viruses, it is right and expected that we jump through every imaginable hoop to cross the channel NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone.

The whole process seems so open to abuse (i.e. do the test in the UK, take it with you and then get it verified 2 days before return)

I'm not suggesting I'd do that but it's probably the reason I was getting worried, surely I must have misunderstood the process if it's so flawed.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gresty, yes, this type of testing system is only acceptable in the UK. Austria, for example, does not accept the self-test type, as they are completely open to abuse. If you get a test locally, it will be done and verified by a doctor.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, not just the UK, Italy required a predeparture test to enter Italy we also had to register localy.

@gresty, you might find out that you are positive before you go as the UK has a higher infection rate.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gresty wrote:
Thanks everyone.

The whole process seems so open to abuse (i.e. do the test in the UK, take it with you and then get it verified 2 days before return)

I'm not suggesting I'd do that but it's probably the reason I was getting worried, surely I must have misunderstood the process if it's so flawed.

I suppose if 80% of people have done it honestly without fiddling it in some way then that’s still going to find some asymptomatic infected people compared to none at all?
I’ve not seen any of my negative test cassettes after a couple of days because I’ve binned them but I’d imagine they go dry and the line goes feint?

It seems the main reason for bringing in increased testing and rules here in the UK is it puts a lot of people off travelling for leisure purposes. When they want to curb leisure travel bringing in the tests and/or quarantine rules works by default…
snow report
A quick infection rate update: 7 days/100,000.

Now down to 581, a continuing downward trend.

https://covid19-dashboard.ages.at/?area=10

The above link also provides a breakdown by State and then region, for anyone interested.

Our city Burgermeisterin stated, yesterday, that it is very much the intention to reopen on the 12th December and, although there was some opposition, she anticipates it will be business as “normal” for the vaccinated and continued restrictions for the unvaccinated.

It was also revealed on the news, the other day, that failure to comply with the vaccination rules (other than those who are medically unable to be vaccinated) will attract a 600€ fine for every 3 months that a Covid jab is refused. Mentioned for information, not debate, for those who like to be kept abreast of developments re travelling to Austria.
latest report
maggi wrote:
@Shunt, we're going to Obergurgl on 13th too. I was convinced they would cancel but I've just had an email telling us the (return) flight time had changed and they hoped we were looking forward to the holiday! Shocked Since the return-to-UK test was announced, I actually hoped they would cancel. I've had Covid and three jabs but am worried out what happens if the test is positive. Stuck in Austria with no booked accommodation over Christmas? OH wants to cancel but we'll lose all our money now.

This is why I cancelled my Obergurgl trip - very unlikely to catch Covid as triple jabbed AND past infection, but being stuck in Austria, or Germany (as had to re-route via Munich as no good arriving on 12th in Austria with no hotel) over Christmas... And border measures could change for any of the 3 countries. Hoping that any Omicron peak is in January and come end Feb it'lll be an easier trip...
snow report
@Cacciatore, you can come again Cool good, positive news snowHead
ski holidays
Just spotted this in the Tiroler Tageszeitung news blog

Quote:
The lockdown in Austria will come to an end as planned next weekend. Health Minister Wolfgang Mückstein (ÖVP) emphasized this on the sidelines of the EU Council with his departmental colleagues, as on the previous evening in ZiB2 . However, a regional distinction should once again be made. Because Mückstein pointed out that individual measures are being negotiated with the federal states there. Vienna will be presenting its path today.

Given that he is the federal health Minister that is a pretty good indication that the current restrictions will end as planned though there might be regional differences (upper Austria has already said they want to continue to the 17th). The Tirolean first minister has been very much pushing the "we promised to reopen on the 12th" line, so it would be surprising if there is anything but a complete reopening in the Tirol for those fully vaccinated.

In the past couple of days the various indicators are looking more positive here in Germany too, though have to wait to see if it continues. Hopefully this means less need for worrying.

@Scarlet, there were plenty of UK based people taking holidays in the summer, I didnt notice any stress over the tests then, perhaps people were just so grateful to be allowed out they didnt care about the return test Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-12-21 10:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
@Cacciatore, you can come again Cool good, positive news snowHead

Thanks Timberwolf….it’s snowing quite heavily, too Toofy Grin
latest report
@Cacciatore, thanks, very useful information.
We shall soon see of course but funnily enough last night (well early morning) when I was looking to see what would be open in the Zillertal to decide what day to leave (or to go a couple of days later) the Zillertal Arena had changed some stuff from 19th to 18th. So they are either ahead of schedule with the snow preparation/maintenance or they are feeling hopeful. Or both!
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
]Just spotted this in the Tiroler Tageszeitung news blog

Quote:
The lockdown in Austria will come to an end as planned next weekend. Health Minister Wolfgang Mückstein (ÖVP) emphasized this on the sidelines of the EU Council with his departmental colleagues, as on the previous evening in ZiB2 . However, a regional distinction should once again be made. Because Mückstein pointed out that individual measures are being negotiated with the federal states there. Vienna will be presenting its path today.

Given that he is the federal health Minister that is a pretty good indication that the current restrictions will end as planned though there might be regional differences (upper Austria has already said they want to continue to the 17th). The Tirolean first minister has been very much pushing the "we promised to reopen on the 12th" line, so it would be surprising if there is anything but a complete reopening in the Tirol for those fully vaccinated.

In the past couple of days the various indicators are looking more positive here in Germany too, though have to wait to see if it continues. Hopefully this means less need for worrying.

@Scarlet, there were plenty of UK based people taking holidays in the summer, I didnt notice any stress over the tests then, perhaps people were just so grateful to be allowed out they didnt care about the return test Toofy Grin

As did Salzburgerland. I’m in Upper Austria (generally more right than left, politically). The State Governor is OVP (the National governing party) and I’d be inclined towards Upper Austria not extending lockdown beyond the 12th. Hope that’s not tempting fate. The infection rates have more than halved since the latest lockdown. By far the largest infection group is the 5-14 age range which also seems to be declining fast. I guess we shall see in the next 24 hours what will happen.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:

I think you’re probably right but lots of people on this forum care more about skiing than any summer activities they might do and the prospect of having to go into isolation over the Christmas period seems to be by far the biggest concern.
I’m not worried about that personally because it’s unlikely to happen and even if it did, well, I’d just have to put up with it and manage somehow.
If I thought the risk was significant though then I would probably feel differently about it. Also when it’s just you it’s not so much of a big deal as it would be travelling with kids in tow.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
To go back to basics, which I think I covered back on page 15 or something, of the 1.137M tests carried out in the UK today, 4.5% (1 in 25) of those tested, tested positive.

Mostly symptomatic though. Generally you can double that number for total cases including those undetected.

Zoe has the number of those with Covid in U.K. at one million if I am reading it correctly

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data#interactive-map

If Zoe is correct then that means that if you tested everyone in the UK the "true" figure would be 1:68, which is actually lower than the tests show. Kind of reinforces my point about who is getting tested.
latest report
@Cacciatore, Vorarlberg seems to be an outlier on that link, 963.8/100,000

What’s going on there then?
Glad I’m going to Tirol as that sounds the best bet on the noises made so far….
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
As we live among dirty foreign viruses, it is right and expected that we jump through every imaginable hoop to cross the channel NehNeh

Laughing Thanks for the giggle snowHead
Been out clearing snow all morning snowHead things are starting to look a little more promising. Noticed a number of chalets near us being serviced this morning, just need to see the food deliveries coming to the hotels and we can start to believe.
Ski Juwel has moved it's opening from the weekend to tomorrow ready for the holiday.
ski holidays
Breaking news in the press, they are saying the new Chancellor says lockdown for vaccinated ends.
Quote:

At his first press conference as head of government, the newly sworn Chancellor Karl Nehammer (ÖVP) came up with a long-awaited message on Tuesday: He promised a fixed end to the lockdown on December 12th for those who had been vaccinated, which should also include restaurants and hotels. Security is crucial in the opening steps, so controls and sanctions are crucial. The restrictions on those who have been vaccinated remain in place.
It is no longer a question of whether the lockdown will be ended, but simply how it is done. There is currently a good tendency in the Corona situation, which should become a "trend". When asked, he emphasized that the opening steps for vaccinated people should also include the catering and hotel industry - under which conditions will now be clarified at the federal-state summit on Wednesday.
snow report
yip just seen it. i don't know how he is making the number stack up as intensive care is still full....but i'm happy regardless.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@enduroaid, intensive care is always going to be 10 - 15 days behind infections and 80 - 85% in intensive care are unvaccinated, the ones that aren't have co-morbidities.
snow conditions
@enduroaid, Puzzled That's what modelling is for.
snow conditions
Quote:

@enduroaid, That's what modelling is for.

Even so, it’s greatly concerning if there are currently no I.C.U. beds available, should you be unfortunate enough to need one.
snow report
@Chris_n, ok thanks, glad to hear it’s a goer.
snow report
I guess we will find out tomorrow what the entry requirments for Austria will be , hopefully only a 48hr antigen test, if driving via France are there likely to be border checks ? might me with a UK plated car .
snow report
@Thunderer21, there are no entry requirements other than being vaccinated nor will there be unless they start kicking off about variants of concern etc again. There are no border checks and no one will take any notice of your UK plate car. There may be a requirement to test before being able to stay in a hotel as opposed to a self catering apartment.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Even so, it’s greatly concerning if there are currently no I.C.U. beds available, should you be unfortunate enough to need one.

I think that's a bit sensationalist, 33% of ICU beds are free. There are currently more beds occupied by corona patients than is comfortable, but the health service is not turning away emergency cases even if you may have to wait for an elective bed.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, thats good news, so just an antigen test to travel through France, and hopefully that will be ok for the hotel. amd just announced Austria lockdown to end, just hope it last until 26th December !!
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
@Thunderer21, there are no entry requirements other than being vaccinated nor will there be unless they start kicking off about variants of concern etc again. There are no border checks and no one will take any notice of your UK plate car. There may be a requirement to test before being able to stay in a hotel as opposed to a self catering apartment.

So fly out as normal carrying vaccination info
LFT 48hr before departure back to UK

That about right?

Some great deals out there for St Anton and Obergurgl 13-20 Dec
snow report
@Mike Pow, yep looks like it, I do have a caveat of the possibility of testing for hotel stays but we will know the detail tomorrow.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 7-12-21 12:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Chris_n wrote:
@Mike Pow, yep

Thanks

Any idea of the cost of LFT in Austria these days please?
snow conditions
€25 in a Pharmacy, free in a test centre.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy