Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Noymychashkachaia wrote:
Owlette wrote:
Thanks both, I said as much to Mr. Owlette yesterday, but it certainly feels like we can't fully relax at the moment, just waiting for more restrictions to pop out of left field.

With the new PCR testing announcement, I went to book ours. The cheapest postal one I could find was £35 a head. Or LHR have a click and collect service for 0.85p. Our flight is before the earliest appointment so we've now booked into the same hotel that you collect from the day before to collect them. It's cost us £85 including breakfast but at least we're not leaving home at 4am now. We'd rather spend the money on the hotel and £3.50 on tests than line the pockets of those sodding private companies. Still £85 (plus dinner the night before) we weren't anticipating.

Is this a PCR test on departure or on your return to the UK?
I hate all this uncertainty about not knowing whether we are going to be able to go or not!

The day 2 PCR test on return to the UK. But you have to show evidence of having booked it before coming back into the country. The Click and Collect service won't release the passenger locator number until you collect the test, though I think the postal one gives it to you on booking.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Owlette wrote:
Noymychashkachaia wrote:
Owlette wrote:
Thanks both, I said as much to Mr. Owlette yesterday, but it certainly feels like we can't fully relax at the moment, just waiting for more restrictions to pop out of left field.

With the new PCR testing announcement, I went to book ours. The cheapest postal one I could find was £35 a head. Or LHR have a click and collect service for 0.85p. Our flight is before the earliest appointment so we've now booked into the same hotel that you collect from the day before to collect them. It's cost us £85 including breakfast but at least we're not leaving home at 4am now. We'd rather spend the money on the hotel and £3.50 on tests than line the pockets of those sodding private companies. Still £85 (plus dinner the night before) we weren't anticipating.

Is this a PCR test on departure or on your return to the UK?
I hate all this uncertainty about not knowing whether we are going to be able to go or not!

The day 2 PCR test on return to the UK. But you have to show evidence of having booked it before coming back into the country. The Click and Collect service won't release the passenger locator number until you collect the test, though I think the postal one gives it to you on booking.

Thanks. I'm holding off on booking mine until I actually leave the country just in case the restrictions mean that our trip isn't actually possible. Also the three week review of these restrictions is due to take place while we're away. It probably won't change anything, but just in case on the off chance they allow LFT testing again for the day 2 tests, I wouldn't have wanted to waste money on the more expensive PCR tests.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chick wrote:
New rules announced in Irleland yesterday means any persons coming back into the country must have a negative PCR test 72 hours prior to their flight.
If you have a positive test you have to isolate in the country your in for 10 days before being allowed to fly home.
We have booked Zell am See for Jan 15th but am now wondering is it worth the risk.
This applies to people who are vaccinated also.

Jan 15 is a long way off

Also has 2waterford says antigen test OK for vaxxed

They're worried about Christmas. Last year as you know planes and ferries from UK were full of symptomatic twits who did not make any attempt to isolate and extensively seeded us with the Kent variant that overwhelmed us. Once Christmas is over they might chill out (provided omicron paranoia also Peters out)

Maybe in a month or two that rule will transition to boosted travellers being exempt from testing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My postal PCR test has given me the passenger locator number on booking ...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is today the 10 day 'review' ? Will the results of the review make it into the public domain ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf wrote:
Is today the 10 day 'review' ? Will the results of the review make it into the public domain ?

Just my €2 cent
As I understand it the Austrian government can only fix a lockdown for 10 days and always say it will be reviewed but in reality a 20 day lockdown was already decided but couldn't be legally fixed.
The decision as to what happens after the 20 days wil be decided towards the end of next week.
Wed 8/12 is a public holiday, I would expect a decision next Thurs 9/12 or maybe as late as Fri 10/12.
The intensive bed occupancy is still very high but is expected to fall drastically although it has not yet started to fall - suspect this will be the key factor that determines what happens after Mon 13/12.

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/entscheidung-ueber-lockdown-ende-kommende-woche/401825722

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 2-12-21 10:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @DB
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suspect, today, we’ll get confirmation on the next 10 day lockdown period. As expected. And a lot of (press/social media/opposition party-driven) speculation/confusion about what will happen thereafter.

Hopefully the next batch of official news won’t be delayed by the public holiday, as mentioned by DB…not going to hold my breath or bet the house on it rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The next 10 day lockdown period was already confirmed yesterday by the government.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fuzzydunlop wrote:
Quote:

My postal PCR test has given me the passenger locator number on booking ...

Thought as much. We just didn't want to commit £200+ in case it all gets cancelled anyway. At least the airport hotel is cancellable and I can write off the £3.50 I spent on PCR tests in that instance.

Eldest (10) made noises this morning that he expects us to have to cancel our trip (on the back of the school Christmas Fayre being cancelled). Have told him that nothing would surprise me, I'm keeping fingers crossed we can go, but if not we will have a lovely Christmas at home like we always have. Telling him that for my own benefit as much as his.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are we going to get a new Chancellor today who may have a different point of view th Schallenberg?
First reports of reduction of intensive care patients too Madeye-Smiley , though as far as Tirol is concerned that could be down to the 13 deaths yesterday. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes 61 Corona related deaths reported in Austria yesterday. Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chris_n, It appears that Sebastian Kurz is leaving politics, presumably to avoid the consequences of the corruption inquiry. No reason for that to change the current Chancellor in the short to medium term. Personally I would have preferred if Sebastian Kurz had apologised for his role in the "Ischgl & St Anton" chaos which was largely caused in Vienna not the Tirol! No hope of that happening and he appears to be off to make millions with his mates in the corporate world.

Fingers crossed that the current guarded optimism continues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, the problem is Kurz is leader of the ÖVP, he is expected to be superseded by Karl Nehammer. The press are reporting that should that be the case he would also be expected to take over as Chancellor.
Yes fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chris_n, if they do change, hope it is done quickly. Germany has, effectively, not had a functioning government since early summer. The new one is due to take office next Monday! Not really the moment for the slow deliberations so favoured around here.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, +1 he oversaw a sham on 13th March 2013 and the 2 weeks prior.

Looking like we're going to cancel our planned trip for 24.12 to 01.22, I can't comply with 2 day test etc (got to be back at work on 4th) and having spoken to the test companies there's no guarantee on results turnaround based on the time of year and potential volumes blah, blah.....on re-entry to UK, and tbph I have no faith that things won't tighten regards travel through France/ Belgium/ Germany and into AT, Holidays are supposed to be fun......it's definitely not given all the palarva right now.
latest report
We're supposed to be driving to Lech on 18.12, staying in Germany on the way there and back. I have already been informed by one of the hotels that they are now 2G+ and I will have to take a lateral flow test at the door, despite being dbl vaccinated. French are also making us do a test to get in there, and of course we need to do the PCR when we get back... not looking great. Any body got any positive vibes?
ski holidays
@PowderQueen, The hoteliers I know in Lech are far from positive, my personal advice FWIW is to cut your losses and bump forward 3 months if you can.
ski holidays
Yeah - supposed to be touring in Canada then (if they ever dump that Quarantine plan restriction). Had holiday to use up over Christmas - but it is looking a bit grim in Germany - trying to follow the talks going on at the moment.....
snow report
Munich seems to be 2G not 2G plus for hotel stays (https://www.muenchen.de/int/en/events/corona-virus-current-rules-regulations.html) or is it down to the individual hotel??
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
Looking like we're going to cancel our planned trip for 24.12 to 01.22, I can't comply with 2 day test etc (got to be back at work on 4th) and having spoken to the test companies there's no guarantee on results turnaround based on the time of year and potential volumes blah, blah.....on re-entry to UK, and tbph I have no faith that things won't tighten regards travel through France/ Belgium/ Germany and into AT, Holidays are supposed to be fun......it's definitely not given all the palarva right now.

That's a shame, but totally understandable given the UK's requirements. Stops us being able to visit again too. Looks like it'll be another lonely Christmas.
snow conditions
@Noymychashkachaia, The situation is not terribly clear and seems to change daily. There is a meeting today which is supposed to set a uniform set of Germany wide regulations but Bavaria, as ever, does its own thing. If you are vaccinated (if not stay at home!) then it is supposed to be 2G but it is possible that individual establishments may go with 2G+. Tests are easy to get. From what I can see the changes will not affect hotels etc but more aimed at large public gatherings such as football matches and putting into effect a similar situation to Austria for anyone not fully vaccinated (ie only allowed to out to work or buy food). The plan is to move towards compulsory vaccination before the end of winter.

Currently I would not recommend tourism here simply because there is little to do (Gasthofs / restaurants are closing at 22:00, museums etc are not so easy). However if you are vaccinated life is not far off "normal, no issue if you are passing through on way to a ski resort, visiting family etc.
ski holidays
Figures just out.

7 Day index under 800 (now 786.5 = big drop of approx. 70)
Intensiv care beds occupancy at 648 (dropped 8 )
Normal beds dropped to 2547 (drop of 107)

https://orf.at/corona/daten/oesterreich
snow report
@munich_irish, do you think Germany will bring any border restrictions in as France have done?
snow conditions
PowderQueen wrote:
@munich_irish, do you think Germany will bring any border restrictions in as France have done?

Am I correct in saying that if you are a fully vaccinated EU citizen that you don’t need a test for France.
latest report
Yes - but if you are a UK citizen you do!
snow report
@PowderQueen, I dont believe there are any restrictions with regard to internal Schengen borders eg if you fly into Munich then you will not need a test before entering Austria (though you do need to be vaccinated and there are random checks on that). I think the sort of pre arrival tests that Ireland, France & Italy have introduced would only happen if there was an EU wide move to such tests for arrivals from outside of the EEA. I dont believe that is currently on the agenda but who knows what will happen next week!

@2waterford, I thought it was non EEA arrivals only for France but Ireland now wants pre arrival test for everyone?
snow report
@Scarlet, Got me feeling bad now..... wink Will likely leave it a few more days and see what happens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, Haha! Sorry, didn't mean to. Just likely that if you can't make it, the same problems are going to affect everyone else too.
snow conditions
Thanks @munich_irish. If (big if) our trip does actually happen it involves an overnight stay in a hotel in Munich. We're arriving quite late at night so would be hard to sort out a test at short notice if it was decided that we need one on top of being triple vaccinated!
snow report
The new regulations have just been published in the media https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/corona-massnahmen-mpk-1.5478421. None of these are likely to impact on visitors, unless you like fireworks on New Year's Eve. I think it unlikely that many if any hotels will ask for 2G+, possibly some small family places might. If anyone is worried about tests, there are a number of places at the airport offering on the spot tests https://www.munich-airport.com/corona-tests-at-the-airport-9526455, there are free lateral flow tests with a result in 15 minutes up until 20:00 everyday.
ski holidays
I'm still keen to go despite everything - bit worried about having to put on an FFP2 mask every time you get on a lift though. That means stopping, taking off helmet etc - really a hassle as the lifts are short in Austria compared to US/Canada.
ski holidays
PowderQueen wrote:
I'm still keen to go despite everything - bit worried about having to put on an FFP2 mask every time you get on a lift though. That means stopping, taking off helmet etc - really a hassle as the lifts are short in Austria compared to US/Canada.

I tie mine to the helmet, it's a bit of hassle but not much.
snow report
PowderQueen wrote:

Not too bothered with the mask, not ideal but wearing them so long here in Ireland, just another day
snow conditions
PowderQueen wrote:
bit worried about having to put on an FFP2 mask every time you get on a lift though. That means stopping, taking off helmet etc - really a hassle as the lifts are short in Austria compared to US/Canada.

does it have to be FFP2 mask - surely the snood is perfect?
ski holidays
Earlydoors wrote:
PowderQueen wrote:
bit worried about having to put on an FFP2 mask every time you get on a lift though. That means stopping, taking off helmet etc - really a hassle as the lifts are short in Austria compared to US/Canada.

does it have to be FFP2 mask - surely the snood is perfect?

No snood, has to be FFP2
ski holidays
@PowderQueen, there are some options on this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4849337&highlight=#4849337
snow report
Quote:

- bit worried about having to put on an FFP2 mask every time you get on a lift though. That means stopping, taking off helmet etc

Get some FFP2 masks with earloops, then sew a couple of buttons on your helmet straps - these are used instead of your ears : simplez Very Happy
latest report
Wearing a FFP2 mask is not a hassle IMO. You just put it on at the start of the day, before your helmet. Then you just leave it up when needed and slide it down your chin when you’re skiing. Often I’ll leave it up then as well, keeps my face warm. Occasionally goggles start misting up, so you pull the mask down briefly and they clear. It’s really not an issue
snow conditions
Just wedge it under your goggles.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy