Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet,
Quote:

Would you also like to know what the snow will be like at New Year?

Laughing Laughing

I'd say pretty good looking at the forecast for the next few days.....get those skins out never mind CH-eeseland! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
radar wrote:
@ptex, Hi, thanks for the tip on the GreenPass, I’ve downloaded it and you are right it is good to have, do you know if there is an android version, can’t seem to find it on Google Play.

@radar, here is the link to an Android from the website https://greenpassapp.eu/ Sorry, I don't use Android so can't check on Google Play
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ptex, thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buchanan101 wrote:

The second point was - have they outlined how, or not, lockdown will be lifted? The methodology going in made sense, apart from forgetting that you need to know where infections/hospitalisations are going and act in advance... Have they politically tied themselves in to almost certainly having to lift it if the situation is only slightly better (serious question Scarlet, for someone like you actually there)

They haven't and they won't. Shortly before the end of the lockdown they will look at the numbers, and then decide on extending or re-opening.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I fear that much of this season is now not going to happen. Switzerland has already said anyone coming from Belgium has to quarantine because of one Omicron case so travel within Europe may soon come to a halt. Of course depends on how Omicron turns out. Omicron will already be in the U.K.- we are South Africa’s biggest tourist customer: passengers on flights arriving back yesterday were not tested (more stupidity and incompetence from our government). In NL they tested passengers and 61 had Covid, though exact strain as yet unknown. Some PCR tests can determine the strain so sequencing is not needed as much as in the past, so we will soon know if it’s in the U.K.

Then wait to see how much more contagious than Delta it is - it seems to be. How much more serious it is (may be less so, or more so) and whether - or more likely by how much - it bypasses existing vaccines.

This week coming will tell us a lot; I wish I’d sold my IAG (BA etc) shares early yesterday…

Doom and gloom… then I get snow report emails…
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@buchanan101, My concern too-at least for the first few weeks of the season whilst they are gathering information on it. Seems like a trigger response made on the precautionary principle or in response to a howling media pack.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@buchanan101, pointless worrying, the "dreaded" new variant will be here already. Cases in Germany & Czech now too. In all probability it will be not much different than the ones before but sure there will be lots of worried politicians and media blah.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@buchanan101, on Torygraph this morning they posted opinions that the new Covid variant is less worrying than delta (Prof Chris Whitty).
Front page:
Sir John Bell, one of the Government's most senior advisers on vaccines, said the new variant may end up causing no more than "runny noses and headaches" in those who have been vaccinated.
Sir John, the regius professor of medicine at the University of Oxford, said that while the new variant might evade antibodies, it would be less likely to escape T-cells and other parts of the immune system that provide broader protection.
"You could still have a highly infectious virus that scoots around and causes lots of trouble, but causes lots of, you know, runny noses and headaches but doesn't put people into hospital. Honestly, you could live with that, I think," he said.
On Friday, Dr Angelique Coetzee, who chairs the South African Medical Association, described the travel restrictions imposed on the country as "hasty" and the reaction from other countries as "a storm in a teacup". Dr Coetzee asked why everyone was "up in arms" and said: "So far, what we have seen is very mild cases."
OTOH, many young adults in South Africa were hospitalized recently, to ICU units sometimes. Few of that age range are vaccinated in SA.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, so how close is Germany to the lockdown touted in the British press today? Huge queues today in centre of Cambridge for a walk in vaccination centre (all ages queuing). Wonder how many more have been persuaded- at least Omicron will get more people jabbed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@drporat, the Torygraph with its libertarian agenda. Not sure I believe a word that paper prints these days.

However …they may be correct - as I said, the new variant is as likely to be less dangerous as it is more dangerous. Less dangerous is the way viruses tend to go… long term. Hopefully the SA cases are mild and that’s the way it goes - but they’ve mostly been in young people so far.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@buchanan101, I would believe little that is written in the British media about the situation in Germany, even the Guardian's correspondents, who are based in Berlin, dont always get things right, especially when talking about far flung places like Bavaria & Baden Württemberg! The talk here is mainly around compulsory vaccination but nothing much is likely to change until the new government arrives on the 6th December. I dont think any Germany wide restrictions will come in but things have a habit of changing rapidly. In Bavaria there are already lots of restrictions, the Gasthofs (bars are shut) are closing at 10pm even outside of the so called high incidence areas. Its 3G (tests must be less than 24 hours) simply to get on a bus or a train, 2G to go for a meal. The big concern is the overload in the hospitals though that is really a south & east Germany issue, north & west not really. The issue is to get more people vaccinated, as most places.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have I heard correctly tonight that arrivals in Germany require a PCR test within 24 hours even if doubly vaccinated.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At a stroke - all U.K. skiing holidays in Switzerland are cancelled. This is excessive overreaction, mostly because in a few days every country in Europe will have Omricon cases. Including Switzerland.

“UPDATE - The UK has been added to Switzerland’s risk country list.

When boarding a plane and entering Switzerland, all persons travelling from the UK must present a negative COVID-19 test and quarantine for 10 days”
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 cases confirmed in Munich and one in the Tirol (amongst other reports) https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/corona-aktuell-viruslast-who-omikron-virusvariante-1.5467988 . I have not heard of additional requirements for entering Germany but it would not be a surprise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@buchanan101, He actually gave that interview to Times Radio. Telegraph are just re-reporting it.
You're right that it's a massive over-reaction. What will Switzerland do when they get their first case of it......
ski holidays
snowhound wrote:
@buchanan101, He actually gave that interview to Times Radio. Telegraph are just re-reporting it.
You're right that it's a massive over-reaction. What will Switzerland do when they get their first case of it......

Guardian reported the same. I hope he’s right.
latest report
So unless i’m wrong we can still travel between Xmas and New Year, and back 1st January via Eurotunnel back and forwards across France/ Belgium/ Germany and into Austria in the car so long as double jabbed, but need a PCR test 2 days after return? Where would we get this done, private or NHS test centre?

I’m losing the will to live trying to unravel all this, we had a power cut for 24 hours and were cut off with snow, thanks Arwen for the media respite……..and even the local EE mast was down, have woken up today to all this Johnson-driven blah blah…….can someone please enlighten me?
snow report
@Markymark29, it’s privately that you’d need to do it, you can’t use NHS tests for travel related things.
snow conditions
I’ve only just caught up on the news too as had a busy few days and couldn’t get on here to look properly.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, it's all kicked off because of restrictions in CH, but as you're not going through there, don't worry about it. The rest of the countries you have listed are currently fine, assuming Austria lifts restrictions as planned.

The day 2 test has to be from a private tory party donor govt approved provider. You have to isolate until you get the result, which given increased demand, may be longer than stated Confused If you can work from home, no problem, but otherwise could be an issue. There are some drive through centres you can use – generally more expensive than the postal ones, but you could do it on your way through and may be quicker to get the result due to being a couple of days earlier and not needing to post.
ski holidays
I suppose the question is though, what effect will omicron have on Austria's reopening after lockdown? Until we know that, all plans based on current UK restrictions (which of course could change in the interim) are somewhat moot.
snow report
Salzburger Nachrichten have reported that there is a suspected case in the Tyrol Crying or Very sad

For full details use this link https://tinyurl.com/5y72vpt3

Feeling despondent !
snow conditions
@radar, the case in the Tirol is still unconfirmed and unlikely to be for a day or two, however that is not really relevant as there are cases everywhere (Denmark was the latest I saw), a good few in Holland. We must assume that it is freely circulating and has been for a few days. The media here seem to be less alarmed than in the UK, there are still direct flights from South Africa to Germany (only for German residents), seems much more of a "wait & see" attitude but maybe I have just read the wrong places.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Agree with you it's going to be very similar to the Delta variant in that it will appear across Europe, the Dutch have 60 odd people who tested positive for Covid and like the Tyrol they are checking to be sure if its the new variant or not.
latest report
They`ve announced its 13/61 of them with the new variant
ski holidays
Got an e-mail this morning from the Pension we are due to stay in in Kitzbuhel over Christmas. They said that they expect the bars/restaurants to have extended closure from predicted 13 December. This was also backed up by a mate who owns a bar in Kitzbuhel who said to me to temper my excitement about skiing over Christmas. They are predicting that they are not to be allowed to open until mid-January. Lifts will be open but no bars/restaurants. Since we are in a room rather than apartment, that will make it close to impossible for us as a family to go, ie. no hot meals, since no cooking facilities in room.
Not looking good but am going to stay optimistic since don’t want to dwell or worry.
latest report
I guess we might be a bit clearer tomorrow after the government meeting. I'm still hoping for the best but summed up today: Vienna's health councillor Peter Hacker (SPÖ) said in an interview with the press that he considered the 20-day deadline announced by the government to be "rather courageous in view of the current situation"
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@radar, the case in the Tirol is still unconfirmed

Unfortunately confirmed today.

https://orf.at/newsroom/segment/15045951
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Switzerland has its first suspected case, be interesting to see what they do next. Doesn’t make sense to impose quarantine on Brits and Dutch but not Germans since we know the variant is in Germany too…
snow report
Hopefully as more people appear with it, it will be shown show to be as reported by the people who have treated the cases in south-africa and then it will all calm down again
snow report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Switzerland has its first suspected case, be interesting to see what they do next. Doesn’t make sense to impose quarantine on Brits and Dutch but not Germans since we know the variant is in Germany too…

And tens of thousands of Germans will cross the border daily, as opposed to a few thousand Brits by air weekly.

As a plan it is incoherent nonsense.
snow conditions
Rob_Quads wrote:
Hopefully as more people appear with it, it will be shown show to be as reported by the people who have treated the cases in south-africa and then it will all calm down again

Yes, hopefully, and that's what the stock market is betting on this morning with travel stocks that took a battering on Friday actually up a bit. There is a lot of overselling these days in any case.

Most of the early cases in South Africa were in young people who won't have such serious illnesses anyway, so this needs taking in to account obviously.

The ideal is an illness that is much milder in everyone than Delta, and one that takes over from Delta.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:

And tens of thousands of Germans will cross the border daily, as opposed to a few thousand Brits by air weekly.

As a plan it is incoherent nonsense.

That's probably why they didn't impose it on Germany, due to the much more repercussions/impracticalities.

Doubt this policy will last long in any case.
latest report
Lockdown Update:

Skied at Reiteralm yesterday. Not much open but that's normal at this time of year. 2G checks (digital or paper) before getting on the bottom lift and you must wear FFP 2 masks on the lifts. Nobody really checking what was under your Buff though. A couple of Restaurants were serving takeaway food and beverages, which seems to be a common work around at least here in the Ski Amade. In Flachau the bakery is open in the morning and will knock up Sandwiches on request and the Possruck and Umami are doing takeaway meals too. All is not lost. http://umami-streetfood.at/
snow report
Kirchberg is like any other November in reality. Restaurants/hotels closed just as they usually are. Office workers, outdoor builders etc all working as normal. Supermarkets obviously are open, but the traffic is as heavy as normal.
No mixing meeting up with friends indoors, so met up walking/exercising mainly round the Schwarsee. Restaurant there doing take away drinks etc. So all in all life is pretty relaxed. Certainly, because everyone wears FFP2 masks feel safer than in the UK.
Whether the lockdown will be extended who knows, but certainly the slopes are being prepared for skiing, whether that just again be for locals, or guests, only time will tell
latest report
Just wondering if last season were day trippers from Germany allowed ski in Austria, exploring all options snowHead
snow report
2nd jabs approved for 12 - 15 year olds!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59465577
latest report
@Chris_n, 3 months after the first dose, which is good news generally, but may not be good enough to allow skiing trips in February if the requirement remains 2G. Our kids had theirs on 9th November, which could be cutting it pretty fine for a half term trip starting on 12th February.
snow report
A couple of positive signs about Omicron. I am seeing multiple reports that state the symptoms are less severe than those of Delta; the adjective “mild” has been bandied about. The Dow and FTSE were up yesterday, which suggests that, after their initial conniption on Friday, they have priced in a low impact to the status quo from Omicron. So… I am hoping the powers to be are also reading such signs and don’t overreact with a raft of new restrictions.

Caveat: early days on this curveball, so much could change. It would have been better, from a skiing/Xmas perspective, to have Omicron come around (if at all), a few months ago so as to have better picture by now.
ski holidays
I think the ideal situation would be that Omicron is pretty benign, but that having it makes you resistent to Delta et al, acting as an involuntary vaccination of sorts for all the unvaccinated hordes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy