Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
It‘s not looking good. 41 more patients in intensive care taking the number of intensive beds used past April’s record.

https://orf.at/stories/3237842/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:
It‘s not looking good. 41 more patients in intensive care taking the number of intensive beds used past April’s record.

There was always going to be inertia - infection to hospitalisation is 2 to 3 weeks on average. The peak of hospitalisations may well be around 12th Dec - which makes relaxation difficult. They'll have to justify (or not) on levelling off/falling case levels
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@buchanan101, please start a new thread, I know on SnowHeads we like to wonder off topic but this isn’t really relevant to entry into Austria.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 25-11-21 13:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
radar wrote:
@buchanan101, please start a new thread, I know on SnowHeads we like to wonder off topic but this has not really relevant to entry into Austria.

Well I’d be entering and leaving…
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buchanan101 wrote:
Just come up with a Plan D where I can use my Munich flight on 13th Dec if Austrian resorts are not open.

Drive to Val Gardena. I understand that transiting Austria is ok, and probably would still be (via Innsbruck).

Googlemaps say about 4 hour drive...Does that make sense? Is the Brenner Pass usually open, whatever the weather? Is there a closer Italian resort?

If Bavaria go into lockdown, would you able to hire a car?
Did you say you also had flights to Innsbruck for the 12th? You could maybe get a train to Brixen Bressanone from Inns (& prob munich)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr.Egg wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
Just come up with a Plan D where I can use my Munich flight on 13th Dec if Austrian resorts are not open.

Drive to Val Gardena. I understand that transiting Austria is ok, and probably would still be (via Innsbruck).

Googlemaps say about 4 hour drive...Does that make sense? Is the Brenner Pass usually open, whatever the weather? Is there a closer Italian resort?

If Bavaria go into lockdown, would you able to hire a car?
Did you say you also had flights to Innsbruck for the 12th? You could maybe get a train to Brixen Bressanone from Inns (& prob munich)

Depends on any lockdown in Bavaria.

I'm assuming that BA will cancel flights on the 12th - if not my only problem with flying in on the 12th is where to stay that night as hotels will be shut... my Obergurgl hotel opens on the 13th.

Nearer the time I could see if any Innsbruck hotels do open...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buchanan101 wrote:

Transiting Austria (& Germany) is no problem and very unlikely to that it would be an issue. It is around a four hour drive. As with all this if you are fully vaccinated there is generally no issue though the range of options when you get to your chosen location might be limited. There does seem to be concerns in the Südtirol and along with everything else predicting what will be happening in two weeks time is not sensible beyond the fact that the sun is likely to rise in the east that morning Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mr.Egg, I'm talking cross purposes - you were suggesting if Austria shut. It's an option, but would hire cars still be available if hotels shut... is Innsbruck Airport taking flights and can cars be hired right now?

If lockdown does lift and flights still running on the 12th was what my previous post was about - that would rely on Innsbruck hotels being open on the 12th, unlike ski resort hotels
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Transiting Austria (& Germany) is no problem and very unlikely to that it would be an issue. It is around a four hour drive. As with all this if you are fully vaccinated there is generally no issue though the range of options when you get to your chosen location might be limited. There does seem to be concerns in the Südtirol and along with everything else predicting what will be happening in two weeks time is not sensible beyond the fact that the sun is likely to rise in the east that morning Very Happy

Thanks, as always. I'd only want a hotel which served half board. Val Gardena currently has good availability, and, so I am told, snow.

The google maps of Val Gardena is brilliant - no snow...apart from every single run with man made stuff

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Val+Gardena/@46.5467089,11.7472213,4493m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47781369351c68d7:0x810ee4258084767b!8m2!3d46.5597584!4d11.7049259
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, I just answered my last question about Innsbruck Airport taking flights right now by looking at their website

Today - just one flight from Vienna

Tomorrow - two internals, one from Eindhoven(?!) and one from Berlin. Saturday - back to just internal flights.

https://www.innsbruck-airport.com/en

And the webcam; rather sad. So much for the "flights will fly as they have your money" take

https://innsbruck-airport.panomax.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's something I have just posted on another SH thread:
A cautionary note about NHS issued Covid Passes:
The pass that you can download from the NHS website or have emailed to you has a life of one month for the (spurious?) reason of data protection. The pass that you can ask to be sent to you by Royal Mail does not show an expiry date - as far as I am concerned this is better.
My downloaded pass shows two vaccinations (January and April) and a booster (early October) - so far, so good.
The snag with my "Royal Mail" pass dated 22nd November is that it does not include the booster. Deepest joy!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buchanan101 wrote:
DB wrote:

There was always going to be inertia - infection to hospitalisation is 2 to 3 weeks on average. The peak of hospitalisations may well be around 12th Dec - which makes relaxation difficult. They'll have to justify (or not) on levelling off/falling case levels

I think this information highly relevant to this thread given speculation regarding whether Austria will reopen to vaccinated in December and impact that would have on many SHs if not
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nemisis, but as someone on the other thread pointed out to you, you can renew the domestic/travel pass on the app at any time to give it another one months validity.
you can then just take a screenshot of it and print it out if you are concerned about having a hard copy to hand!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ptex, Hi, thanks for the tip on the GreenPass, I’ve downloaded it and you are right it is good to have, do you know if there is an android version, can’t seem to find it on Google Play.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@radar, you can't find it on Google Play because it is locked to Google accounts in Austria. I had to create a new Google account with location set to Austria to download it.
ski holidays
@radar, neither of the two main German versions of the "GrünerPass" are geographically restricted, Corona Warn or CovPass. Both now work with NHS QR codes. I have read, but not sure if true, that you can only change your country for Google Play once a year.
snow report
@Chris_n, @munich_irish, thank you both, that explains why Very Happy

Will ask Mrs R to set up account when we are in Austria
snow conditions
@radar, I mentioned in an earlier post that the Austrian QR scanners "recognise" the NHS QR Codes, so you don't really need the Green one if you're coming here and have your med records in UK. You just have to refresh the NHS one every 30 days.
ski holidays
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks, there’s been so much traffic I had forgotten, thanks for the reminder Very Happy
ski holidays
@munich_irish, I believe you can only change your location once a year but you can have multiple accounts with different settings.
@radar , don't forger if you are using the NHS app it needs a data connection so you must have a copy of the QR code available on your phone and preferably a hardcopy too.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, I load it into apple wallet, plus screen shot into photos, plus a paper copy. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
peanuthead wrote:
I think this information highly relevant to this thread given speculation regarding whether Austria will reopen to vaccinated in December and impact that would have on many SHs if not

Thanks, that's why I posted it here.
latest report
Zillertal have announced this morning that the ski areas in the valley will commence operation on the 13th. A short delay after their original planned date of the 4th.

Bit of a shame for the rise and fall event if, they do start on the 13th it was planned for the 12th. Fingers crossed
snow report
Spotted this and thought it was of interest, an article in the Süddeutsche about compulsory vaccination that was brought in 200 years ago

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/impfpflicht-pocken-impfung-geschichte-widerstand-1.5472406

This quote towards the end has some contemporary resonance

Quote:
The events of that time also show how strongly the political situation influences such epidemics. Clergy and other religious orders from Tirol condemned the compulsory vaccination as an attempt to thwart God's plans and instil Bavarian thinking in the population. The idea that vaccination is messing about with God was also widespread in Bavaria.
ski holidays
@munich_irish,

Social media is the new religion (at least for some). wink
ski holidays
A friend of mine who has had a long-term rent of an apartment and spent longer periods in Austria in the past few years has just been given a six month Schengen visa. Seemingly the main requirement was satisfactory health insurance. I don't know what it cost. I was rather surprised that it went so smoothly, though it had required a trip from Scotland to the Austrian embassy in London.
ski holidays
Those on the ground in Austria, is the uptake on the vaccine reaching required levels
latest report
@2waterford, no.

https://orf.at/corona/daten/impfung

Most of the vaccinations over the last 2 weeks have been boosters rather than a sudden influx of 1st doses.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a big push this weekend to get people vaccinated. Just to manage expectations of “big push”, I've seen a couple of very dry govt ads in the media/FB rolling eyes The state facilities will be open all weekend including on Sunday, though some are making a better go of it that others – Schwaz is operating 22 Land-Tirol drop-in centres; Innsbruck has, I believe, four rolling eyes Unvaccinated people have also, finally, received a letter with an appointment. It's fair to say, I don't have high hopes for it all, but have booked myself in next Tuesday rather than risk having to spend my weekend standing in a queue.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 26-11-21 15:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ousekjarr, yes, eyeballing that it's only about 400,000 first doses in November, under 5% of population, and not much more than 2% more who are now "fully" vaccinated (with 2 doses).

Better than October, but...
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
Most of the vaccinations over the last 2 weeks have been boosters rather than a sudden influx of 1st doses.

That's very true, but I think the 100K 3rd doses that are being given each day will also have some effect, especially as a lot of the current infections will be in people who have been vaccinated. It doesn't directly reduce the pool available for likely hospitalisation, but it may bring down the overall circulation level and stop so many people coming into contact with it.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
@ousekjarr, yes, eyeballing that it's only about 400,000 first doses in November, under 5% of population, and not much more than 2% more who are now "fully" vaccinated (with 2 doses).

Better than October, but...

I have pretty good eyeballs when it comes to graphs (being an engineer) - the linked page shows 4.09% more population having first doses and 2.64% second doses since start of November.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

That's very true, but I think the 100K 3rd doses that are being given each day will also have some effect, especially as a lot of the current infections will be in people who have been vaccinated. It doesn't directly reduce the pool available for likely hospitalisation, but it may bring down the overall circulation level and stop so many people coming into contact with it.

3rd are very useful as they are mostly in older people who are much more likely to require hospitalisation especially with waning immunity. UK currently has cases increasing slowly, but numbers in hospitals and deaths dropping (too) slowly; that's the booster effect.

Still some way behind Uk take up (17.6% v ~24%) but catching up.

Will lockdown be lifted based on the number of ICU beds occupied (which seemed a pretty reasonable methodology, until they forgot about inertia), or based on case numbers. Or a bit of both. Or politics. Or...

Quick look at case numbers: week on week they seem to be dropping - now maybe 10% or so week on week (last couple of days only, but hopefully the start of a trend)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/austria/#graph-cases-daily
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
3rd are very useful as they are mostly in older people who are much more likely to require hospitalisation especially with waning immunity

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Anyone can get a booster after 4 months, and as I am eligible and was initially jabbed towards the end of the main cohort, and shortly after this the interval was shortened, there should be a pretty wide range of ages in that number.

Quote:
Will lockdown be lifted based on the number of ICU beds occupied (which seemed a pretty reasonable methodology, until they forgot about inertia), or based on case numbers. Or a bit of both. Or politics. Or...

How are case numbers - a bit too early for lockdown to have had that much effect?

Would you also like to know what the snow will be like at New Year?
snow conditions
On the idea that case numbers are dropping, read the note below this graph:

The main skiing regions are shown in addition to the overall Austrian average. While it does seem that the new case numbers are levelling off and may be showing a fall, it is too soon to tell. This doesn't seem related to vaccination numbers, so my assumption is that the increasing case rates caused a degree of behaviour change in the population who then went back to a more socially distanced approach.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, OK, that's better than UK - boosters here only just extended to over 40s; however to reduce ICU usage you want that 17% take up to be predominantly in older people (though there's the rather grim thought that the very oldest often don't go in to intensive care if they have Covid)

The second point was - have they outlined how, or not, lockdown will be lifted? The methodology going in made sense, apart from forgetting that you need to know where infections/hospitalisations are going and act in advance... Have they politically tied themselves in to almost certainly having to lift it if the situation is only slightly better (serious question Scarlet, for someone like you actually there)

Not really interested in snow at new year, but late Feb would be useful please?!
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:

The main skiing regions are shown in addition to the overall Austrian average. While it does seem that the new case numbers are levelling off and may be showing a fall, it is too soon to tell. This doesn't seem related to vaccination numbers, so my assumption is that the increasing case rates caused a degree of behaviour change in the population who then went back to a more socially distanced approach.

Most probably correct; the rate of increase in case numbers in the UK have generally started to fall before lockdowns - because of human behaviour -which leads the lockdown "sceptics" (can think of many other words to describe them) to say lockdowns don't work. Back in March 2020 mobility started to fall off a cliff in the UK from 10 days before the official lockdown (from about the time I came back from Ischgl)
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
The second point was - have they outlined how, or not, lockdown will be lifted? The methodology going in made sense, apart from forgetting that you need to know where infections/hospitalisations are going and act in advance... Have they politically tied themselves in to almost certainly having to lift it if the situation is only slightly better (serious question Scarlet, for someone like you actually there)

It might be a serious question, but I don't have a serious answer, sorry. Nobody does. This has been so badly handled that there is still scant information about what the rules are right now – I've been working with someone trying to organise an event that was supposed to happen tomorrow, and we had to postpone due to lack of clarity on the situation. The regs we have since uncovered make no sense whatsoever, it's absolute bullsh*t, and so we're trying to figure out if we can get everyone to Switzerland and hold it there rolling eyes We don't have the slightest idea what will happen next week, and politicians are staying away from the cameras.
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:

Not really interested in snow at new year, but late Feb would be useful please?!

They haven't outlined anything as far as I can see. They keep repeating themselves about lockdown for the unvaccinated staying after 13th Dec. They don't help themselves when they including the President and Chancellor are seen partying maskless on a TV show.
ski holidays
Chris_n wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

They haven't outlined anything as far as I can see. They keep repeating themselves about lockdown for the unvaccinated staying after 13th Dec. They don't help themselves when they including the President and Chancellor are seen partying maskless on a TV show.

Not just the UK that has idiotic leaders then...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy