Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@ptex, I’m with you on that!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jcosh, there are no travel restrictions, it will be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, well, it wouldn’t be right if the rules were clear. We’ve got used to generally not having a clue Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ptex, you have to remember that having a 'tick' or a green box or whatever on a QR code is meaningless. The country that you visit has it's own App and applies it's own rules to the QR code. The QR code merely contains the data associated with your vax / recovery.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, I didn't really want to test it atm, carpooling may be fine for work but sport is supposed to be individual. I know I am probably being overcautious but with the volume of checks being carried out right now I was sort of half pleased Hintertux is closed tomorrow otherwise my friend would be wanting to go.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, well, it wouldn’t be right if the rules were clear. We’ve got used to generally not having a clue Laughing

The authorities don‘t seem to be any wiser either. You are probably safer traveling in a car in which all the occupants have had a PCR test while wearing a mask than traveling with public transport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chris_n, exactly - that was my point.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris_n wrote:
@Scarlet, I didn't really want to test it atm, carpooling may be fine for work but sport is supposed to be individual. I know I am probably being overcautious but with the volume of checks being carried out right now I was sort of half pleased Hintertux is closed tomorrow otherwise my friend would be wanting to go.

It doesn’t really make sense though, for people who want to go out with a mate, to have to get the bus. Once you get to resort, no one will give a monkeys who you are skiing with, but I agree, it would be nice to know if that’s something you’re likely to be pulled over for (I reckon speeding is a much higher risk in this respect).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
@Chris_n, with our employee who hasnt got jabbed it is because he is worried his mother wont speak to him if he does. His brother got vaccinated months ago and she hasnt spoken to him since! I could understand it he was 20 years old and living at home but he is nearly 50 Puzzled Everybody else in the workshop winds him up about it but it seems to make little difference

Interesting. Is it because she thinks he’s going to turn into the devil or because it goes against her views on it and therefore he would be showing some sort of disloyalty to her by having it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks DB
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
@espri,
As far as I understand it you should only travel in a car with people from the same household or one significant other (e.g. partner who lives somewhere else). Otherwise you are free to drive / ski where you want provided you are back home at night.

Yes, that's how I understand it too (but with the addition of using masks in a car, as mentioned by Scarlet).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris_n wrote:

In which case great. BUT, I then wonder if the Austrian Taxi firms that’s that operate out of Innsbruck will operating / shuttling to Italy.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jcosh wrote:
Forgive me if this has been answered already.

Flying into Innsbruck on December 12th with 16 year son. We will then transit out immediately to Austria. The flights I booked are still listed for sale with EasyJet.

Does anybody know if arriving into Austria and then transmitting straight our will be allowed during the current lockdown? I will be able to show proof of hotel booking etc.

Many thanks.

I don’t know. It may be ok if the flights go. My BA flight for the 11th hasn’t yet been cancelled (I also have a spare for the 12th but my hotel is telling me shut until 13th). BA and EasyJet may be waiting until the 10 day decision before pulling flights or not.

A back up plan may be wise. Unsurprisingly the most expensive EasyJet flights to Innsbruck are for the 13th… £400+ single.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good clarification on the situation regarding ski areas in the Wiener Zeitung:

https://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/politik/oesterreich/2128557-Ski-und-Sonne-trotz-Lockdown.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris_n wrote:
carpooling may be fine for work but sport is supposed to be individual.

This is what I thought too but I can't find anything that specifically says carpooling should only be for work and not for sport.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Jcosh wrote:

Flying into Innsbruck on December 12th with 16 year son. We will then transit out immediately to Austria. The flights I booked are still listed for sale with EasyJet.

Does anybody know if arriving into Austria and then transmitting straight our will be allowed during the current lockdown? I will be able to show proof of hotel booking etc.

Many thanks.

I don’t know. It may be ok if the flights go. My BA flight for the 11th hasn’t yet been cancelled (I also have a spare for the 12th but my hotel is telling me shut until 13th). BA and EasyJet may be waiting until the 10 day decision before pulling flights or not.

A back up plan may be wise. Unsurprisingly the most expensive EasyJet flights to Innsbruck are for the 13th… £400+ single.

BA have free changes/swap for voucher. Might be worth looking how late you can change.
One option is you move the flight to Munich for the Sunday, have a night in munich & head off early to Austria on the Monday.
This is something I am considering (already cached in my 11th flight though), but going to wait until Austria announce something after the initial 10 days.
snow report
[quote="Mr.Egg"]
buchanan101 wrote:
Jcosh wrote:

Many thanks.

BA have free changes/swap for voucher. Might be worth looking how late you can change.
One option is you move the flight to Munich for the Sunday, have a night in munich & head off early to Austria on the Monday.
This is something I am considering (already cached in my 11th flight though), but going to wait until Austria announce something after the initial 10 days.

I looked in to that but Munich Sunday flights expensive. So I booked Avios club flights for Munich Monday to Monday. The return is very early so am planning to check out Obergurgl Sunday, ski somewhere in the valley - may try Oetz(?) - and get a hotel at Munich Airport Sunday eve. Oetz May be busy on a Sunday but gives a shorter drive to Munich and have never skied it.

Still have Avios Sat - Sun return (8 days) and paid on evoucher Sun single all to Innsbruck in place. Waiting to see 10 day decision and waiting for BA to cancel saving me a few £ on Avios cancellation. Can cancel up to 24 hours before.
ski holidays
Jcosh wrote:
Chris_n wrote:

In which case great. BUT, I then wonder if the Austrian Taxi firms that’s that operate out of Innsbruck will operating / shuttling to Italy.

I would have thought so but the only way to know for sure is to ask them.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:

I looked in to that but Munich Sunday flights expensive. So I booked Avios club flights for Munich Monday to Monday. The return is very early so am planning to check out Obergurgl Sunday, ski somewhere in the valley - may try Oetz(?) - and get a hotel at Munich Airport Sunday eve. Oetz May be busy on a Sunday but gives a shorter drive to Munich and have never skied it.

Still have Avios Sat - Sun return (8 days) and paid on evoucher Sun single all to Innsbruck in place. Waiting to see 10 day decision and waiting for BA to cancel saving me a few £ on Avios cancellation. Can cancel up to 24 hours before.

I looked at Munich & price wasnt that bad if you pay then offset it with avios. Not as cheap as full avios fare though.
My avios cancellation cost me £2 - as I paid £2 + 38,000 avios in total for both. It is £35 or whatever you paid in cash, depending on the lowest. Have to do it by phone though
latest report
I rarely offset with Avios. If you are selling Avios for less than ~1p each then you are losing out. I sometimes offset Avios purchases with cash if I’m “buying” the Avios saved at <1p each…
snow report
Quote:

@VolklAttivaS5, I emailed Hintertux and they said that it’s possible (there is a lobby group of resorts) that PcR tests will be allowed for foreign 12-15 year olds to harmonise the rules. Hopefully this is not only Europeans but those using the Green Pass system incl. UK. No timing though.

Does anybody know if this is likely to be allowed? We have one child turning 12 just before we travel in March, so if testing isn't allowed we might be screwed even if the govt / JCVI change their minds on vaccinating 12 year olds before then.
latest report
@RobMcQ, With all these sort of questions there is no accurate answer. No one can tell you for certain what is going to happening next month let alone 4 months hence. I know it is frustrating when you are trying to arrange holidays but that is just how life is at the moment Sad
latest report
It’s true, it’s a waste of time asking anything about anything beyond the next week or two as no one knows.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, @VolklAttivaS5, Thanks. I guess we just need to wait until February and see what things look like then. Fingers crossed there's a practical solution.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
I rarely offset with Avios. If you are selling Avios for less than ~1p each then you are losing out. I sometimes offset Avios purchases with cash if I’m “buying” the Avios saved at <1p each…

I am not losing out. As avios cost me nothing.
I am sitting on a few 100,000 avios points & find them much easier to collect so have no problem using them when needed, including on hotels as well as part pay. While i am not maximising value, i am not losing out either. 38,000 avios to replace a £300 easyjet equivalent booking is not 1p per point either.
Will swap back to Marriott soon, as hotel rooms are better value than the cost of a flight to me.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

I am sitting on a few 100,000 avios points & find them much easier to collect so have no problem using them when needed, including on hotels as well as part pay. While i am not maximising value, i am not losing out either. 38,000 avios to replace a £300 easyjet equivalent booking is not 1p per point either.
Will swap back to Marriott soon, as hotel rooms are better value than the cost of a flight to me.

I haven't got as many as you as have just blown 120,000 on Club World returns from the US after a QM2 crossing next year... so I tend to value them at 1p each (which is what sites like HeadforPoints.com suggest) and work from there either in using them to reduce cash fares, or to use cash against avios fares. I have enough to keep at the level I am; two Amex cards, use of BA shopping portal when it's similar to TopCashback returns etc. hotels I tend to use Hotels.com for the free nights rather than go with chains. I don't travel like I used to on business unfortunately - even with allowance for the pandemic

BA not directly comparable with easyjet, especially if you redeem in club.

Base value for an Avios is now 0.8p each since the tie up with Nectar
ski holidays
Redial wrote:
Apologies all for the repeat but asking for a clarification on certs:
- Double vax’d within 9 months of last is ok up to start of feb
- Double vax’d within 7 months of last after that

Our trip is in early Jan. Just make it under the 9 month rule.

My apologies as well but is this correct? 7 month rule only comes in after Feb?
We are due to fly on Jan 29th and my 20 year old son got his second on 24th June so would need a booster to be able to travel if it was 7 months with immediate effect
latest report
Hinweis:
Mit 06. Dezember 2021 verringert sich die Gültigkeit der Impfnachweise auf 270 Tage. Ab 03. Jänner 2022 ist das Impfzertifikat einer einmaligen Janssen Impfung nicht mehr gültig.

I think from 06 Dez comes the 7 Month
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are travelling 19th Feb so will fall under the 7 month rule. Unfortunately for us he had his 2nd jab 9th July so we are 10 days over. Assume we will still be ok to go with a neg PCR Test with 72 hours of departure?
snow report
@Sussexbha, No one knows for certain but the current Austrian plan is fully vaccinated only from 01.02.2022. If that works out then no PCR tests will be valid. Best sort a booster jab if you want to be sure. As above no one has any idea what this will mean for teenage visitors.
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:
Hinweis:
Mit 06. Dezember 2021 verringert sich die Gültigkeit der Impfnachweise auf 270 Tage. Ab 03. Jänner 2022 ist das Impfzertifikat einer einmaligen Janssen Impfung nicht mehr gültig.

Thank you

270 days is 9 months so hopefully all is good
latest report
actually, the 7 month rule will come in when we are out there so he will still need the booster
snow report
just get the booster and then no need to worry about 7m kicking in until after the snowy season next year.
latest report
robandliza wrote:
turms2 wrote:
Hinweis:

Thank you

270 days is 9 months so hopefully all is good

oh...ok you are right....sorry
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@Sussexbha, No one knows for certain but the current Austrian plan is fully vaccinated only from 01.02.2022. If that works out then no PCR tests will be valid. Best sort a booster jab if you want to be sure. As above no one has any idea what this will mean for teenage visitors.

Ah thanks for clarifying. Just have to keep fingers crossed that we pick up speed of boosters being rolled out
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

I haven't got as many as you as have just blown 120,000 on Club World returns from the US after a QM2 crossing next year... so I tend to value them at 1p each (which is what sites like HeadforPoints.com suggest) and work from there either in using them to reduce cash fares, or to use cash against avios fares. I have enough to keep at the level I am; two Amex cards, use of BA shopping portal when it's similar to TopCashback returns etc. hotels I tend to use Hotels.com for the free nights rather than go with chains. I don't travel like I used to on business unfortunately - even with allowance for the pandemic

BA not directly comparable with easyjet, especially if you redeem in club.

Base value for an Avios is now 0.8p each since the tie up with Nectar

For me to fly BA involves driving 100 miles more each way & an overnight hotel - possibly 2.
It is quite comparable for me to EasyJet when flying to Europe.

As for the states - I tend to fly Virgin. Again points are easy to collect with the credit card & east to hit target for 2x upgrade vouchers.
It is worth looking into Marriott as they do free 5th night on a 4 night redemption. I have spent the last of my marriott on a 4 night + 1 free night trip for Oktoberfest next year.
Flights booked with avios & used a 2-4-1 redemption since I have 2x that need using by May 2023. Just need to decide where to use the other one. BBQ belt or ski trip!
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:

As for the states - I tend to fly Virgin. Again points are easy to collect with the credit card & east to hit target for 2x upgrade vouchers.
It is worth looking into Marriott as they do free 5th night on a 4 night redemption. I have spent the last of my marriott on a 4 night + 1 free night trip for Oktoberfest next year.
Flights booked with avios & used a 2-4-1 redemption since I have 2x that need using by May 2023. Just need to decide where to use the other one. BBQ belt or ski trip!

I have a Virgin CC+ as well, and am close to getting enough for Upper Class trip back from the US on a 241 (1.5 for 1 really as I have no status), so I may use them rather than BA.

Choice of new Virgin UC and new BA club world suites is a tough one... Virgin will use fewer points but more £££

I have BA 241s and FTVs and evouchers coming out of my ears; one 241 expires in 2 months so maybe I book a one way to Manchester, cancel and then gives extension to end Sept 23..
snow conditions
what the f*ck have these stupid points for business class seats got to do with Austrian travel and the ski season? rolling eyes Go start your own thread in the Apres zone if you want to talk drivel about your points (which we al have) @buchanan101, @Mr.Egg,
snow conditions
@Alex A, good point, though I'm not sure I would have expressed it quite like that. wink
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Alex A, good point, though I'm not sure I would have expressed it quite like that. wink

Indeed!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy