Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@albob, yeah thought about that but on reflection we’re not keen on being in small ferry cabins/ forced air system etc, overnight on ferry not a great prospect atm. Thoughts about all those cruise ships at the start of the pandemic, rather be sat in our own car tbph even if we need to do a few naps on way down Germany (or more likely France if Austria out of bounds).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@holidayloverxx, there are drive-in test centres at Salzburg Süd and Sankt Johann, cost €115, results same day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, to quote from the Austrian government site I linked to above

Für Personen, die aus Portugal, Schweden oder dem Vereinigten Königreich nach Österreich einreisen wollen, gilt weiterhin die Notwenigkeit der Vorlage eines negativen molekularbiologischen Tests auf SARS-CoV-2 oder eine 14-tägige selbstüberwachte Quarantäne anzutreten. Wenn während der Quarantäne ein Test durchgeführt wird und dieser negativ ist, kann die Quarantäne vorzeitig beendet werden.

I understand that to mean you can have a test wherever you are isolating and if you test negative the isolation is then over. How easy it would be to arrange a test within Austria no idea.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The problem would be if you are tested positive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bennyboy1, then i would just isolate in my apartment and change my flight
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, we thought about the same thing as I am likely working but with 2 kids it’s more challenging. Good luck! I would be interested to here how the experience is at the airport and your local gemeinde.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bennyboy1, i will report back...why would i need to go to the gemeinde?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, hopefully assuming you arrive here with a negative test we'll be able to meet up! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, I meant they could come to you for proof. Do you have to register in normal circumstances at all?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bennyboy1, ah...no i dont have to register as i am only there a week or two at a time.

@queenie pretty please, absolutely! 24th july for the weekend. It would have been the vereine parade. Flight is running so might as well use it
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, have you checked with your insurance companies that you will be covered, as entry into Austria for UK citizens is essential travel only and you may not be covered.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

Update 29 June: Due to a high number of cases, travellers from the Gütersloh district in Germany will need a negative COVID-19 test (administered in the last 48 hrs) to travel to Austria.

The regulation applies only to people who are residents in the listed countries or Austrian citizens. It is also a prerequisite that you have not been in any country other than Austria or those European countries in the past 14 days.

Only Essential Travel with COVID-19 Test or Self-Quarantine
From the UK, Sweden, and Portugal only essential travel in conjunction with a negative COVID-19 test or self-quarantine is permitted.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@radar, I wonder in reality what this means at the border too or airport. Do you have to prove it’s for essential travel?

Thanks for pointing out. I will check the insurance company but Austria is now on the UK approved list so hope it’s fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bennyboy1, when do you want to travel? flights from the UK prohibited from landing in Austria until 15th July at the earliest
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@holidayloverxx, there are drive-in test centres at Salzburg Süd and Sankt Johann, cost €115, results same day.

Have you got a link to Salzburg Sud?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bennyboy1, the only people I know who have recently gone to Austria have apartments and the need to maintain them can be classified as essential travel, they did check. They weren’t checked at the border ( both drove), but there’s nothing to stop a subsequent check. Airport will be different as you have to go through passport control and I would imagine they will ask the reason you are entering the country, a call to the Austrian embassy for clarity might be an good option.

The insurance company could say that you traveled against the Austrian government entry requirements and you are not insured, both of them checked with their car and travel insurers and were clear to go.

Edit: they all had Covid tests before they left for Austria
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, The way I read this is that now Austria is on the approved list then you don't have any insurance issues and the only issue is whether they'll legally let you in. You can enter if you quarantine for 14 days, or if you have a negative test within 4 days (I really dont understand this becasue if you are there for 10 days say, you could in theory develop symptoms and how would they know?) . I've spoken to our hotel (we are due to travel on 25 August) and they're entirely flexible to 10 days before. If it gets to 10 days prior and borders are still closed then we'll just cancel and not go, can't be bothered messing about with a test.
snow report
@radar, Who did your friends check with re essential travel? My travel is related to my apartment and insurance so essential as far as I and my holiday home insurance are concerned

I have emailed the Austrian Embassy this morning about whether the test result needs to be on their form or whether a uk doctor's cert will be acceptable, and to ask if the 4 days is inclusive or elapsed time. I tried phoning - they only take calls between 2 and 4 in the afternoon and none of the options were right for my enquiry - won't stop me pressing a random number if I don't get a reply in a few days.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, please don’t make the assumption on the travel insurance, the current entry requirement is essential travel only, doesn’t matter that Austria is on the UK approved list.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, they checked with both car and travel insurance companies as well as their breakdown insurance. They started the process early June to get there for the last week of June.

I’m due go later this month, have my fingers crossed that the UK will be off the naughty list, if not then like you I will be checking with the Embassy and their UK tourist office.
snow report
@radar, you think things will get relaxed regards entry next few weeks? Hoping so....
snow conditions
Interesting to note that it's mainly only folks with a particular reason or need to go that are even considering it. I just can't be bothered with the hassle, real or potential. It's no holiday to be going about on tenterhooks, waiting for a tap on the shoulder.

The actual summer resorts (Zell for example) must be noticing the difference by now with no Brits, unless the Germans, Dutch and Scandinavians are making up the numbers by not going to the Med?

I just hope that the situation gets better before the winter season.
ski holidays
I don't know why people get worked up about insurance. When taking out travel insurance I always tick the boxes for no cancellation cover, no personal property cover (it's on the household insurance). It saves a lot of money and over the years this has saved me thousands. That leaves health insurance and rescue insurance. Well EHIC is still valid until the end of the year and Austrian Mountaineering Club cover will deal with resucue. Actually I am thinking I may cancel my cover with the BMC and transfer to the AMC for next year.

Incidently I will follow FCO advice about travel. We pay our taxes so that these people can advice us. I think the FCO staff actually know what they are talking about.

As it is I will wait until I'm actually approaching Rheims before deciding whether to go through Austria or Switzerland.
snow report
@johnE, I agree regards insurance, i'm not worried about that, EHIC is fine. If I have to bump travel arrangements, ie channel crossings onto next year so be it.

FCO may know what they are talking about, but politicians ie the likes of Bozo and Cummings are playing games with the EU atm and making the policy not FCO so on that basis it's anyones guess imo.
ski holidays
@robboj, we're definitely noticing a lack of Israelis, middle Eastern and Asian guests, but there do seem to be plenty of Germans and Dutch here. British visitors to Austria are such a small minority it doesn't make such a difference.

@holidayloverxx, the Red Cross drive in test centers now seem to have been replaced with a private provider:

https://www.pharmgenetix.com/blog/corona-test-in-salzburg/
latest report
Quote:

FCO may know what they are talking about, but politicians ie the likes of Bozo and Cummings are playing games with the EU atm and making the policy not FCO so on that basis it's anyones guess imo

That is why I was careful with my words. I agree with you.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I would fly to Munich most likely.
snow report
Thinking a German car will be easier.

But since we own a serviced apartment we have to register when we arrive so they can charge tourist tax. I will just make sure we have the certificates on us at all times.

How do you know that checking property is essential please? Did you check with embassy or find it online?
ski holidays
@robboj, we're definitely noticing a lack of Israelis, middle Eastern and Asian guests, but there do seem to be plenty of Germans and Dutch here. British visitors to Austria are such a small minority it doesn't make such a difference.

I just wondered about Zell am See, I haven't summer holidayed there since 2012 but did so every year for 10 years before that and the hotels that appeared in the British TO lists had at least 60-70% Brits in that time. Certain factors may have changed that permanently though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, I’m hoping.

With travel insurance, I would agree on personal possessions house insurance covers it, with medical and repatriation a must. Though if the insurance company decides that you have traveled against government advice / entry requirements there is the possibility that you won’t be covered.
snow report
Quote:

How do you know that checking property is essential please? Did you check with embassy or find it online?

Is your son a prime minister?
snow report
@johnE, one rule for one etc etc? Wait maybe getting my eyes checked also counts.
latest report
Quote:

@johnE, one rule for one etc etc? Wait maybe getting my eyes checked also counts.

As does testing the local bars, restaurants and walks for your clients comfort and enjoyment.
latest report

@holidayloverxx, the Red Cross drive in test centers now seem to have been replaced with a private provider:

https://www.pharmgenetix.com/blog/corona-test-in-salzburg/

thanks, now €150 too
snow report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Thinking a German car will be easier.

But since we own a serviced apartment we have to register when we arrive so they can charge tourist tax. I will just make sure we have the certificates on us at all times.

For my insurance the property has to be slept in for at least one night every 60 days otherwise it is deemed to be unoccupied. In that case the property has to be inspected weekly, which isn't possible, so I need to have it slept in! I have extended the cover but that is only until restrictions are lifted or until renewal, which is on 1st August. Also a new water meter has been fitted; I need to check that is ok.
snow conditions
I checked my property insurance and 60 days for me too. 60 days unoccupied.
latest report
My son is doing testing in the SE of the country, and he was saying that the majority of tests being carried out are for people req certs to go on holiday. At the moment they are still FoC and you should get the results back within 48hours. So basically if you rx them by e-mail, even if you havent rx them back before you fly/drive, then you should have them pretty quickly thereafter.
snow conditions
@jafa, what is rx? so this is the "if you have symptoms book a test" test centre? bit of a p*ss take if people are booking a free test just to go on holiday. Mind you I can't see why they don't charge for a test if they could guarantee the results time scale for non-essential purposes
latest report
Bennyboy1 wrote:
I checked my property insurance and 60 days for me too. 60 days unoccupied.

mine has been unoccupied since 16th March. I paid extra so that it is not considered unoccupied until Government (any govt) restrictions are lifted or renewal, whichever is sooner. The next dilemma will be if restrictions are lifted before I can travel on 24th July - discussed with insurance this morning (Intasure) and they said not to worry, just keep them informed.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, if no other options, could I go and 'occupy' it for a few hours one weekend?
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, get out of my head Laughing it's a conversation I was hoping to have with you - needs to be an overnight stay though ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy