Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Scarlet, in Italy you now have to have a "green pass" simply to go to work let alone any sort of leisure activity, expensive and difficult if you insist on the testing route. Whilst France hasnt gone that far (only care related workers have to be vaccinated) it is not far off and a "carte sanitaire" is going to be required to go skiing or for any other leisure activity, including drinking alcohol. Switzerland has something similar. Here in Germany from early October any unvaccinated person who is told to isolate or returns from a "high risk" country such as the UK and thus has to isolate will not get paid sick leave for the enforced absence from work plus 2G is creeping in. By the time the lifts open we are all going to be very used to showing a QR code on our phones to do pretty much anything!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, some parties in Austria are arguing for the Green Pass to be necessary for workplaces – apparently a lot of the big employers already have it in place anyway. I think the only real difference is the level of enforcement, but that might increase as the fines get bigger. There was talk of requiring 2G to buy a season pass, but I think that discussion has come too late – passes go on sale next week but it will take a lot longer to write the ruling into law, so anyone should be able to buy online at least.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has anyone seen a valid website listing lifespan of vaccinations in DE or AUT?

I’d seen the number 270 (days) used somewheres. This would be cause for concern for me, as I got my J & J vax in mid-March and I’m headed to the AUT in February.

360 days would work. I’m skeptical of the U.S. government getting around to allowing a 2nd J & J shot by February.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don’t know if this answers your question

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/austria-ends-restriction-free-entry-for-travellers-from-us-11-other-third-countries/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, thanks, that’s a good source.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I’ve read and re-read the above and links but can’t quite work out the full implications.
Put simply, does anyone know under the current rules can my unvaccinated 17yo son who tested +ve on 10/07/21 get into Austria on 26/12/21 returning 04/01/21?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"US nationals who have recovered from Coronavirus will also be eligible to enter Austria, provided they can prove they recovered from COVID-19 in the last 180 days or if they present a positive COVID-19 antibodies test no older than 90 days."

So, he tested positive in July. Add 180 days to his positive test. That brings you to January 6, I think. Cutting it mighty close. When can he get vaccinated after having it? I could see someone deciding it was too close to come in. Plus, they are looking for proof of recovery. After all, you can get it again.

The problem is, if he doesn't get vaccinated, they may let him in, but force him to quarantine the entire time :

"On the other hand, unvaccinated Americans are obliged to present a completed entry registration form, a COVID detecting test upon arrival and submit a ten-day entry quarantine."
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sibhusky thanks and presumably then that applies to UK citizens as well? He is planning to get jabbed as well- it’s a fine call on risk/benefits for him but he’s old enough to make his own mind up and being able to go to pubs festivals etc is benefit enough in his mind! Looks like he should be ok then anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Doccam, no one can tell you what the regulations will be in a few months time, so there is a large element of guess work. However it seems likely that only those fully vaccinated will be largely exempt from restrictions. Perhaps I am wrong but I dont think the concept of "recovered" (Genessen in German) exists in the UK, not sure how easy it would be to get that certified in a way that keeps the Austrians happy. Here if you have a certificate to prove recovery and a single jab that is the same as fully vaccinated. If it is possible for him to get a single J&J jab I suspect that will avoid a lot of hassle.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
According to the nhs site, You can get a uk COVID pass if you’ve had a positive PCR test, that’s valid from when you’ve finished self isolating for 6 months:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How do you prove the neutralizing antibodies?

3) Evidence of vaccination against COVID-19 with a vaccine listed in Appendix C, if the following conditions are met:

a) second vaccination not more than 360 days ago, with at least 14 days between 1 and second vaccination or
b) 21 days have passed after a vaccination which requires only one dose (Johnson & Johnson), which is not older than 270 days or
c) vaccination, provided that there was a positive molecular biological test for SARS-CoV-2 at least 21 days before or proof of neutralizing antibodies before the vaccination, whereby the vaccination must not be more than 360 days ago or
d) further vaccination, not older than 360 days; at least 120 days must have passed between this vaccination and a vaccination according to the points a, b or c.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sibhusky wrote:
So, he tested positive in July. Add 180 days to his positive test. That brings you to January 6, I think. Cutting it mighty close. When can he get vaccinated after having it? I could see someone deciding it was too close to come in. Plus, they are looking for proof of recovery. After all, you can get it again.

The problem is, if he doesn't get vaccinated, they may let him in, but force him to quarantine the entire time

Not the case at all. This is Austria, there is no wishy washy “that's a bit close to the deadline” nonsense, if you're in the time period, you're good. Yes, he would however need some proof of a positive test – there is a list of accepted documents online.

There is also option 2 – he has one dose of a vaccine, and this plus the proof of recovery is a recognised status in many European countries including Austria, and is considered fully vaccinated. This would be the best option if he can't get 2 doses in time for the trip.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The numbers don’t seem to work for me. It begs the question, if I arrive in AUT past the accepted vax timespan (270 days für mich), am I considered unvaccinated? I have no problem getting tested every 72 hours while on the continent, but 10 days in quarantine would kill my Alpine ski holiday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are fully jabbed but are getting re-jabbed before we go, even if it's not quite "per the book" (I'm eligible in two weeks for a third Pfizer, but my daughter is not. She will find a way to get one between now and March, tho.) It's just easier. I wish we had "green passes" here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@monkbeer, perhaps I have missed something but I thought it was now 365 days validity not 270, difficult to keep up!
ski holidays
@munich_irish, correct. 365 days
latest report
360 for fully vaxxed. 270 for recovered and 1 vax I believe.
ski holidays
@Chris_n, i stand corrected it is 360 fir fully vaxxed. Too close to one year and an extrapolation that shouldn't be made
latest report
So, I sent an email to the Austrian consulate in Los Angeles, asking about Johnson & Johnson vaccine, time-span validity and this was the response:

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Correct, after 270 days the J&J vaccination would no longer be considered as valid. Therefore, currently this would require you to quarantine for 10 days.

Since regulations can change quickly, we would recommend checking our website regularly for updates.

Here is a link to their site, if you're interested: Austrian Consulate General, Los Angeles: Coronavirus (COVID-19) and travel information

Hopefully, this will change soon. Otherwise, I will be looking at another country for my ski holiday.
snow conditions
Or you could walk into Walgreens, ask for a Pfizer booster. They'd probably give it to you. There are studies saying mix and match are better anyway.

Alternatively, show your doctor the Austrian rules, ask for another J&J on the basis of a travel requirement. J&J has submitted booster info to the FDA. Your doctor may feel comfortable giving you one.
snow report
The CDC has placed Austria as a level 4 destination.
CNN: From the Caribbean to the Alps: Six new destinations deemed 'very high' risk.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cdc-very-high-risk-travel-destinations-october-4/index.html

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-austria

Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in Austria
Key Information for Travelers to Austria

Avoid travel to Austria.
If you must travel to Austria, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.
Because of the current situation in Austria, even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants.
See recommendations for fully vaccinated travelers.
See recommendations for unvaccinated travelers.
Travelers should follow recommendations or requirements in Austria, including wearing a mask and staying 6 feet apart from others.
Quick guide for travelers.
snow report
The CDC stuff above looks like it could've come from stanton except there was no admonishment about grooming! wink
snow conditions
Fcuk! And I have plans to ski the Arlberg in February. AUT is high risk according to the UK government as well.
snow report
Actually, it's safer than where I live, I think. We have Four TIMES the case rate per 100,000. At least people are wearing masks in Austria
snow conditions
@monkbeer, not sure where you got your info re the UK, as far as I can remember (difficult to keep up with the ever changing chaos) there are now only about 10 countries classified as "high risk" by the UK government and Austria isnt one. In European terms probably the most authoritative list is published by the RKI in Germany (public health institute), see here for list in English. It is updated on a regular basis. As you can see there are a few places within the EU on the list eg Lithuania , but Austria most certainly isnt. The US is though.

It does seem odd to single out Austria when the situation there is no different from most other places around here, perhaps it has something to do with the fall out from all the "Ischgl" stories and the chaos instigated by the Austrian Chancellor.
latest report
I’m mildly surprised to read that.

Current infection rates/100,000 over the last 7 days is 145, which is a downward trend since mid-September.

For context, the UK is 355, Ireland 181. Admittedly, it is higher here than most other European countries but we’re (I’m) not hearing any sounds of panic, thus far.

*Edit…not munich_irish’s post.
snow report
@Cacciatore,
It is 560 per 100k in Wales, breakdown of the UK :-
Area Rate per 100,000
Wales 564.7
Scotland 345.9
Northern 408.2
England 339.6

UK top 10 by area
Neath Port Talbot 734.1
North Lincolnshire 699.9
Caerphilly 682.9
Torfaen 681.2
Vale of Glamorgan 665.2
Rhondda Cynon Taf 642.1
Denbighshire 634.2
Swansea 626.6
Herefordshire 623.4
Carmarthenshire 612.9
8 out of 10 areas in Wales and Herefordshire borders Wales.
snow conditions
I found this off of gov.uk: https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/16/austria#COVID-19

My first thought was Ischgl-2020. And then wondered if it were politically motivated. Austria had taken the U.S. off its “safe countries” list. But then have so many other countries.

This is bad timing for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bizarre to single out Austria like that, though the ECDC map does put all of the country except Tirol and Burgenland in the red zone, but Germany is in the same condition: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/situation-updates/weekly-maps-coordinated-restriction-free-movement

However, Austria's own traffic light system looks like this: https://corona-ampel.gv.at/ with no red areas.

The only country Austria really wants to keep onside is Germany, because that's where most of the tourists come from. We have more stringent measures for skiing than other Alpine countries probably because of this and various worries about another “Ischgl”.

As an aside, and good news for those travelling with minors, it has now been announced that free tests will continue until at least the end of March.
latest report
monkbeer wrote:
I found this off of gov.uk: https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/16/austria#COVID-19

My first thought was Ischgl-2020. And then wondered if it were politically motivated. Austria had taken the U.S. off its “safe countries” list. But then have so many other countries.

This is bad timing for me.

Ischgl - I was there...

We are still way more infected than Austria so the main threat to skiing is them not letting us in.

Hopefully off to Obergurgl in December, by then I should have had my booster on top of double vaxx and then catching it 6 weeks ago...
snow report
@monkbeer, the UK has just changed its system, yet again, in the past couple of days. In the previous system I think Austria was "Amber" but maybe it was "Green" though in practical terms it made little difference. Everywhere except a few places are now classified the same ie no issue to travel if fully vaccinated.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, it was green
latest report
@holidayloverxx, I thought it was but that didnt seem to match up with the link @monkbeer, posted. In any case it makes no sense to classify Austria as "very high risk" and not Switzerland, Germany etc.
snow report
@munich_irish, monkbeers link ...while he says he got it off .gov.uk ... isn't the official information. Stick with the the source data on .gov.uk

Edit. Interestingly I see it was set up by Public Health England. I've never heard of it. It seems completely unnecessary when all the relevant info is on the .gov.uk pages

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 5-10-21 9:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
In all probability the Covid travel situation is going to change several times before most of us hit the slopes. There is too much uncertainty on the possible actions of the various govts. It's all guess work at the moment.
Best advice is to book flights and accommodation with built in flexibility, if not then cover with insurance. Otherwise just take the risk.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I am afraid I take any info from a gov.uk website with a large pinch of salt, not far removed from a .ru one Very Happy
ski holidays
@munich_irish, well. Its all we've got and you can point officialdom to it
latest report
Now Kurz has resigned/gone on gardening leave.
Will anything likely to change?
ski holidays
My brain is hurting now with trying to get to grips with the entry requirements of the various alpine nations Confused

Mrs MA and I have booked a flight to Austria in the first week of November for some early doors glacier skiing.

The easyjet website states as follows:

Fully vaccinated passengers arriving from countries with low incidence rate are not required to fill any form if they present the corresponding vaccination certificate. Fully vaccinated passengers must present a vaccine certificate that complies with Austria's requirements.

So the question is - based on things as they stand now - does the NHS covid app, which shows that we are double jabbed, count as the required 'Vaccination certificate'?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 9-10-21 20:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Now Kurz has resigned/gone on gardening leave.
Will anything likely to change?

He’s resigned as Chancellor, but remains head of the party. The Greens (their coalition partner) are in charge of health anyway, and at this point remain in government. That might change in the next few days/weeks, but the corona measures have broad cross-party support, as well as support in individual states, so are unlikely to change much if at all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy