Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Klamm Franzer, do you have proof of having had it and how long ago? To be considered to have recovered here you have to have regular antibody tests once you are more than (I believe) 6 months post infection. Children over 12 are being vaccinated here not sure about Germany and Netherlands but pretty sure they are the same. Children under 12 will presumably be exempt as they are for travel. As Austria isn't vaccinating under 12s I cant see them making local children get tests every day for skiing.
As it says in my quote above further discussions are pending. The way I look at it is firm plans are being made for there to be a season this year unlike last. The economy in the ski areas will be devestated without tourists (including children) again this year so they are doing everything possible to facilitate a safe environment for everyone's safety and enjoyment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chris_n, Yes, confirmed PCR test and it will be less than 6 months old by Feb 2022 half-term. I wonder if single jabbed UK teens would be classed as fully vaccinated, as that's what the UK Gov classes as acceptable?! Doubt it..... What a muddle.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also wondering about teenagers after 1 vaccination. Or essentially daily testing will be required. The problem will be waiting for the result each day. What a pain in the balls.

I also read that they may allow pharmacies to start testing instead of doctors. Is this likely and would this be Antigen not PCR?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Currently the 3G allows daily antigen according to the Mayrhofen tourist website (also friends confirmed for elsewhere in Tyrol)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pharmacies are and have always been doing antigen tests (15 mins result) valid for 24 hours they recently have started doing PCR tests (24 hours result) valid for 48 hours.
As far as the question about 1 vaccination is concerned you are probably better off hoping there is a kick off in the media about UK children not being allowed out and taken into quarantine in October holidays ( though I do think the UK government will give second doses anyway).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chris_n, possibly they will give second doses. It will depend on the capacity of the pcr testing locations I would think. I don’t mind having the kids do a antigen test everyday but if the PCR result is delayed then that creates holiday disaster.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Matrix, it would be a pricey trip if they were only allowed to buy a day pass on production of a valid test as well!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Matrix, This is the link you need for testing in Tirol: https://www.tirol.gv.at/gesundheit-vorsorge/infekt/coronavirus-covid-19-informationen/tirol-testet/
but it's location dependent so you might need a VPN to access it from the UK.

I've had a look for test sites in Zillertal for you:
Antigen:
Zell am Ziller
Fugen
Mayrhofen
Gerlos
Schwaz

PCR:
Schwaz

Those are the state sites that will provide a full certificate. There will also be others (pharmacies, GPs, entrepreneurial folk) who will stamp a handwritten note for you, but that might suffice. Clearly, the PCR capacity is not going to be much use for checking kids in resort or those who need one to access aprés ski, unless they are prepared to drive all the way down the valley.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's the English language report on the new rules, in The Local:

https://www.thelocal.at/20210920/explained-what-are-austrias-new-covid-rules-for-winter-sports-and-christmas-markets/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Matrix wrote:
@Chris_n, possibly they will give second doses. It will depend on the capacity of the pcr testing locations I would think. I don’t mind having the kids do a antigen test everyday but if the PCR result is delayed then that creates holiday disaster.

What if one of them tests positive on the daily antigen test? That’s going to open a can of worms for all of you because presumably if they then get a positive PCR as well then you’d all have to self isolate whilst on holiday?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 20-09-21 18:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, thank you very much. I had checked earlier this year also but great to have the official link.

We will have to work it out nearer the time. I had hoped to go to the glacier in half term but testing every other day may make it not worthwhile.

I assume there is a charge for the PCR tests?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Matrix wrote:
I assume there is a charge for the PCR tests?

Nope, all tests currently free.

You need a link to the rules for kids, but I can’t help you as I don’t have any and don’t know where to find it. Perhaps someone else has it?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the moment testing is free whether antigen or PCR. Apart from the places @Scarlet, has mentioned there are many Apotheke (chemists) and doctors doing PCR tests. Realistically if there is a need for testing for children to ski there will be an infrastructure available in most resorts. It could even come down to tour operators finding suppliers willing to visit resorts in the evening to carry out tests.
Visitors in summer have been having antigen tests provided by hotels (not that that is likely for PCR).
The link @Scarlet, provided does require a VPN to book a test, I have just tried it with my VPN set to London. It may be worth while tourists having a VPN on their phones anyway as my UK network always places me in UK anyway so it can cause issues. As an example my wife couldn't access her appointment data on Vodafone before she had an Austrian number and had to use my phone as a hotspot with me on Austrian data.

The French travel thread also contains the following
snowymum wrote:
I expect UK teenagers will have had the option to be double jabbed by the ski season. There are already slots to book a second vaccine on the NHS website for 16s and over.

Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are three private providers in Mayrhofen for 60-70 Euro each.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the location issue. It’ll probably work when in Austria on roaming, or if not use the hotel WiFi or something. You get a 1hr slot, or you do at my local centre anyway, and if you haven’t registered they’ll do the input manually when you arrive, you just need some ID. I doubt you’d be turned away if you rocked up without an appointment, just say your handy is kaputt.
ski holidays
This wont help with the teenager issue but should solve the issue with certs not being recognised
snow report
Folks should be aware of Isolation Civil Contingency Health Plans for Winter Season (not mentioned)

Accommodations can not accommodate infected (or become infected) guests..

Guests Testing Positive will need to be removed to a designated Isolation Facility for 10 days or whatever until testing negative .

(Check your insurance)

All remaining Guests/Staff will be tested & the Accommodation fully Deep Cleaned/disinfected so the Property can be used for the following booked Guests.

It is still not clear if Austria (Ski Areas) are going to provide Free Corona Tests for Tourists... I think this is very likely.

Also FYI

Currently in Germany when you stay in any Hotel ...(Corona) Law No Hotel employees are allowed to enter your room (except emergency) until you leave after your stay... Towels , Bed Linen , Toilet supplies etc you have to request and they bring it your door.. This is applies for ALL guests.
The Room is Deep Cleaned when you vacate your stay ready for the next guest
snow conditions
Stanton bringing positivity to Forum as always
latest report
@kb36, That's why I've ignored him.
ski holidays
I’m traveling to the Arlberg in February, 2022. After reading these posts and the precautionary measures listed on the St. Anton site, I have to wonder, are the major AUT ski resorts expecting anywhere near the normal number of skiers this upcoming season?
snow report
monkbeer wrote:
I’m traveling to the Arlberg in February, 2022. After reading these posts and the precautionary measures listed on the St. Anton site, I have to wonder, are the major AUT ski resorts expecting anywhere near the normal number of skiers this upcoming season?

My contacts in St. Anton in the last few days think that only vaccinated people will be allowed into bars/restaurants, non-vax will have to test every day.
I think it is unlikely that the usual numbers pre-covid will be in the ski resorts. There is still much uncertainty over the virus and so the regs are going to be variable.
Positive side will be quieter slopes.
snow conditions
@monkbeer, What is it that concerns you specifically? I had a read of the St Anton info, and apart from being a couple of months out of date, I don't recognise it as being reality.
snow conditions
davidthornton wrote:
My contacts in St. Anton in the last few days think that only vaccinated people will be allowed into bars/restaurants, non-vax will have to test every day.

That's a contradiction. There is scope in the law that unvaxxed people might not be allowed in to bars and restaurants, but that is not the rule at the moment and the fact that you can test for access confirms this.

Quote:
I think it is unlikely that the usual numbers pre-covid will be in the ski resorts. There is still much uncertainty over the virus and so the regs are going to be variable.

You underestimate the number of tourists visiting. Maybe not pre-covid levels, but I don't think the slopes will be quiet. There will be variations in the rules between countries, but in Austria they should be uniform. Resorts will not be implementing rules they don't have to, only those that satisfy the law.
latest report
@monkbeer, if you are fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved either in Europe or US then, in all probability, you wont have any issues. All the alpine countries seem to working towards a situation where multi day lift passes will only be available on production of a valid vaccine certificate. Whether day passes will be available to those who are unvaccinated but tested is likely to be subject to considerable discussion over the coming weeks. There are clearly some groups who are going to have issues, teenagers due to the differing vaccination polices between countries, those who have taken part in vaccine trials etc but that wont affect many (assuming you dont have teenage kids).

From my observations of the way the world is moving I would say @davidthornton, is probably correct about the entrance to bars and restaurants. It is already happening that entry to bars and clubs in parts of Germany is only possible for the vaccinated or recovered (called 2G in this part of the world) once inside there are no restrictions. No jab no party. This policy will almost certainly become more common after the election on Sunday and has been discussed in Austria too.

I suspect many hoteliers might also want to go the same route, only allowing in the vaccinated will make their lives a lot easier. Sure a subject for much animated discussion here for the next couple of months.....

As an aside but relevant to thoughts of apres ski. Last weekend was supposed to be the start of Oktoberfest here in Munich, which has been cancelled for the second year running. Various bars, bierhalls & biergardens are running a so called "Wirtshaus Wies'n" to replace it. We were in one of the places in town on Sunday, a mixture of inside and outside, pretty much full, music, lots of beer & schnapps being consumed, a certain amount of dancing on the tables etc. Some of the servers were wearing masks but other than that no sign any thing different to "normal".
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
davidthornton wrote:

That's a contradiction. There is scope in the law that unvaxxed people might not be allowed in to bars and restaurants, but that is not the rule at the moment and the fact that you can test for access confirms this.

Quote:

You underestimate the number of tourists visiting. Maybe not pre-covid levels, but I don't think the slopes will be quiet. There will be variations in the rules between countries, but in Austria they should be uniform. Resorts will not be implementing rules they don't have to, only those that satisfy the law.

With the current, fairly strong likelihood of most, if not all mountain restaurants/Hutte and valley bars/restaurants being open, I’d be surprised if there weren’t a fairly close to normal volume of skiers this season a) because many missed out last Winter and, b) the controls (3G) are well embedded/understood.
snow conditions
As a caveat to that last point, if 2G, or even 1G is implemented (I’ve read the speculation that this might happen post elections on the 29th), then that will definitely reduce the numbers, possibly quite significantly.
ski holidays
One further aside, our region season passes were hugely hiked again this year - the lift company/resort operator is clearly anticipating most of the skier numbers coming from more local folk rolling eyes Sad
latest report
Austria will require masks, COVID-19 passes for ski lifts
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, as reported by tartans tours above
snow conditions
Quote:

as reported by tartans tours above

@holidayloverxx, “tartans tours” is my Scottish cousin wink
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, bl00dy autocorrect
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

as reported by tartans tours above

@holidayloverxx, “tartans tours” is my Scottish cousin wink

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:
It remained unclear how unvaccinated people on long hotel stays would be asked to keep proving they had recently been tested.

From the linked report.

So, a week long booking from an unvaccinated holiday maker may well be faced with having to test every two days to get a ski pass, and ‘legitimise’ their accommodation stay. Which will make that an expensive holiday. Never mind whether there will be sufficient testing stations, potentially needing to be open 7 days a week. Puzzled
snow conditions
Last season, resorts in Tirol organised their own testing stations in the villages or bottom lift stations with a local doctor. They were generally open Thursday to Sunday mornings and didn’t require appointments in most cases. However, even though most people are vaccinated, the unvaccinated population including tourists could easily outnumber the locals using these services last year, and they would obviously need to be open every day. I don’t know who paid for them. I guess, in the end, it’s all of us lift ticket purchasers and tax payers Confused

Also, please note that the masks required in Austria are FFP2, but you can easily buy them here for a fixed cost of €0.59.
snow report
@Cacciatore, @Scarlet, the point is to make it very inconvenient and expensive for the unvaccinated. Personally I think better to follow the French or Italian route but German speaking politicians seem to think an implicit vaccine mandate is better than an explicit one. There are going to be some groups disadvantaged by this eg British families with teenage kids but they will be a small minority. It seems likely that if you dont fit in with the "rules" you are probably better off not taking a trip to an Austrian ski area this winter.
snow report
@munich_irish, of course it’s awkward, but it’s also likely that the majority of the unvaccinated in ski resorts here will be locals and minors, because the visitors will likely have been vaxxed in order to travel. Not sure it’s having much effect though, they’ll just dig their heels in.

What are the French and Italians doing differently?
ski holidays
Not sure about the French but remember seeing somewhere that Italians were making very difficult for those who don‘t want to be vaccinated. e.g. travel restrictions

http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html
ski holidays
It looks like the current wave in Austria may have peaked as figures have dropped since around 15/09/21.

https://orf.at/stories/3229697/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 24-09-21 8:27; edited 3 times in total
latest report
DB wrote:
It looks like the current wave in Austria may have peaked as figures have dropped since around 15/09/21.

https://orf.at/stories/3229697/

That’s mildly surprising.

Vienna and Upper Austria seem to be the worst areas, skewing the infection rates quite dramatically. Given the popularity of both areas for tourism, I guess it’s not unexpected.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@munich_irish, of course it’s awkward, but it’s also likely that the majority of the unvaccinated in ski resorts here will be locals and minors, because the visitors will likely have been vaxxed in order to travel.

I think I’d agree with that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy