Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Scarlet wrote:

FFP2 masks are available in any Austrian supermarket for 0.59€ each.

Free in Spar supermarkets atm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
Looks like you'll need a stock of FPP2 masks to ski in Austria, validity of antigen test reduced as well:

https://planetski.eu/2021/09/16/new-covid-19-rules-introduced-in-austria-as-cases-rise/

Those are the general regulations that came in to force today, they may have changed several times by winter so don’t read too much into them. A separate discussion is ongoing regarding the ski season, the decisions of which will be revealed in the next few days/weeks.

FFP2 masks are available in any Austrian supermarket for 0.59€ each.

Personally, I think it is better specifying a type of mask, rather than the chinese crap you see people wear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr.Egg wrote:
Personally, I think it is better specifying a type of mask, rather than the chinese crap you see people wear.

Perhaps, though when skiing they get instantly wet, so it’s moot. This weeks regulation wasn’t desperately well thought through, from the perspective of travellers who suddenly have to wear them on their return flight. I had a few spares in my bag so no problem, but half the plane and a significant number in Vienna airport today don’t have one available because you can’t buy them so easily in many places. Officials are insisting on them, and presumably airlines are having to produce some from a magic box for their uninformed passengers Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like the entry rules are now 360 days post second jab. But now 12 and over have to be double vaccinated or face isolation for min 5 days. Problem for us as we have a 12 year old.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Matrix, I would have thought the NHS app will show 1/1 so fully vaccinated.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Then I could upload to the French app I suppose.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This might mean it’s ok (?):

The following persons are exempt from quarantine and registration requirements:

1) persons who enter as part of regular commuting

a) to attend school or university
b) for family purposes or to visit a partner,

2) persons who can present a vaccination certificate or a medical certificate which confirms full vaccination,

3) minors between the age of 12 and 18, who enter the country accompanied by people according to item 2,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://cms.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Matrix wrote:
Then I could upload to the French app I suppose.

Why would you want to upload it to the French app? The UK certification fulfils the requirements of Austria.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From Tiroler Tagezeitung this morning,

Apres-ski only for vaccinated people : In a German newspaper interview, Federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP) made it clear that this year's winter season will probably be anything but normal.

▶ ️ If the corona situation worsens , only vaccinated people will have access to après-ski bars, said the ÖVP politician of the Funke media group (Saturday editions).

Kurz argued that 70 percent of the over-12-year-olds in Austria and the vast majority of tourists were vaccinated.

"In this respect, nothing stands in the way of a safe holiday in Austria",
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Chris_n, for ease of showing the QR code. The NHS app is clunky.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Matrix, have you tried the french one in Austria, I have it but choose to print out the NHS pass, precisely for the reason you state, I’m in Italy at the moment.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@radar, not yet. But I have heard from friends that it can be used. I haven’t been able to upload the NHS QR to Corona warn (German) or the Austrian version.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
French app was very easy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Matrix, If you recall we both had the same challenge with the German one Very Happy , good to know it works, I don't fancy getting a paper version out on the slopes, though I will be carrying one just incase Very Happy
snow report
Had pCR test yesterday for returning home
Got the link today at 11-08 not working
As I’m driving back to the tunnel what a pain
Established they hadn’t put on my d o b so link would never work !!!
Just rx half an hour ago after about ten different phone calls to different depts
ski holidays
@jafa, why a PCR? The antigen tests from the Apotheke or the free test centres are accepted.
ski holidays
The PCR is also free I didn’t really worry what I had
My wife had hers at the Apotheke that was 25 euros
ski holidays
@jafa, that was likely antigen
ski holidays
It was she walked out fifteen minutes later with the result
She felt seen off as she only had it because the test centre at the Schwarsee said she had to have a swab up her nose and she suffers from nose bleeds
When I had mine it was only the back of the throat
latest report
PCRs are only supposed to be for symptomatic or following a call from the authorities. You could have got free antgen tests at Schwarzsee but I guess that is where you went for your PCR. Can't remember but I think it was in UK for a PCR they did nose and throat, all of the antigen tests I have had here have been nose tests.
snow report
@radar, German app thing is odd. It did work (I saw someone scan their NHS cert. and all was well, this was late July) but when I suggested to someone else that they do the same late August it didnt work and I think you had same issue. French one does work but if you check the cert produced on the French app using the German app it says "invalid". Not an issue here as no one is scanning certs (yet!) but think might be in parts of Austria.
ski holidays
I asked for assistance on here with the rules and regs for visiting the UK and returning to Austria again a couple of weeks ago. This is how it went.

1. Entry test from Austria – went to see two blokes in a garage down the road as usual the day before we travelled. Took about 30 sec to get tested. Internationally recognised certificate received by email/text within half an hour. However, I believe this requirement will soon be dropped.
2. Book day 2 PCR test – went for the cheapest option in the end as whether it ever got to me or not was of no personal benefit. £43/pp Randox with the BA code posted on the testing thread (thanks to those who posted, much appreciated). Testing kit abandoned by courier somewhere in my friend's garden, but she did manage to find it before the dog ate it (apparently it wouldn't have been the first!)
3. Complete PLF – due to extra complications of staying at three different addresses, one of which I didn't have, and because the form had only been designed from the perspective of someone living in the UK rather than visiting, this took two hours for us to complete, even when trying to figure it out together. Some questions were total nonsense “have you spent any of the last 10 days in the islands of Austria” rolling eyes Also, you need to have your seat number if flying, which you need to complete check-in to get, which you can't do until the last 24hrs with some airlines.

Being forced to do all that at the last minute was very stressful, especially as I still had to do all the other things required when travelling, plus my job. Being able to submit e.g the PLF in advance would have helped a lot. I printed all the forms and certificates, which seemed to simplify check in at Innsbruck airport. All documents were checked, but none of the QR codes were scanned. We didn't arrive any earlier than normal, and at 5am everything was pretty quiet anyway.

At Vienna, the staff boarding the flight to Manchester started a queue early just for document checks. Again, printouts sped things up, nothing was scanned and they stamped the boarding card to show that the checks had been done. When boarding opened, we could then go straight through. At Manchester, we were directed to the e-gates and no more checks were done.

This seems to be unusual among working UK residents, but we've never done a self-test, so trying to navigate our way through the instructions after only a few hours sleep and a day of travelling was fun, and they were only getting a nose swab! Worse, was the incredibly intrusive form that went with it, that didn't work very well (the buttons kept failing) and again was designed for UK residents and made little sense to a visitor. Another couple of hours to complete that and get it to a post box. Negative result received 3 days later with a confirmatory PDF that contained no useful information that could be used for travel etc. (I know it's not meant for that when they can charge you extra for a travel certificate, but ffs).

On the return, no paperwork was required apart from the vaccine certificate. Coming from the UK, it says you need to complete a PLF, but when you try to do so it boots you out if vaccinated, so I think it's just the instructions that are not clear. Even border police at Vienna did not scan the certificate, they just read it (incidentally, an Article 50 card application confirmation and a Meldezettel was enough to avoid a passport stamp, as expected). After that, we were on an internal flight and there were no more checks and the biggest issue seemed to be that FFP2 masks had come back in while everybody was away and only half the passengers had them. Austrian Air should have foreseen this problem and had boxes of masks on hand to give out, but instead denied boarding to people until they could locate one somewhere in the airport.

I think that when you live in another country, especially one with a different language, you become aware of all the assumed knowledge and incomprehensible language that can be confusing to visitors. It seemed that no-one had even considered that non-UK residents might fill in either of these travel forms, despite them being compulsory. They were badly written in English, and I don't think any other languages were available. It made me laugh that the first encounter with Brits for some people on the Manchester flight, where there were many different nationalities, was someone on the e-gates telling them to “just pop in number seven love” Laughing Not sure that will come up on Google translate.
snow report
@munich_irish, I thought it was supposed to be a Europe wide prog. Very weird
snow report
@Matrix, It is odd, but it seems to have happened elsewhere too eg Switzerland. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that UK certs only have a limited validity whereas other places dont.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, @Matrix, it might have something to do with EU certs not being easily accepted in the UK. Not that I needed mine for anything, but if they suddenly bring in passes for restaurants or something, I have no confidence that mine would be recognised and the only thing I've heard about acceptance was in the context of getting your vaccine recognised through your GP if you had it abroad. Not much use to most of us.
snow conditions
Just Brexit benefits!
snow report
@Chris_n, Move on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did that's why I live in Austria wink
snow report
Innsbruck Airport closed till 19th October for runway repairs

https://www.innsbruck-airport.com/unternehmen/presse/artikel/bauphase-3-es-geht-los/
ski holidays
Google Translate From Tiroler Tagezeitung this morning :-

Government presented plans: These are the new rules for the winter season

Under the motto "Stricter rules, safer winter" , Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger, Health Minister Wolfgang Mückstein and Tyrol's LH Günther Platter presented the new regulations for the winter season 2021/22 this morning . Those responsible emphasized the importance of winter tourism in Austria in advance: Around half of all overnight stays - 73 million in winter 2018/19, in winter 2019/20 despite COVID-19 still 59.7 million - are accordingly made in winter.

▶ ️ Together with the federal states, the industry, experts and the association of cities and municipalities, the federal government has now decided on a 3-stage plan , which is primarily based on the utilization of intensive care bed capacities.

"The rules that have now been presented offer the best possible protection and safety for guests and businesses. Austria is the number 1 winter sports country in Europe, around 50 percent of all winter sports holidays in the EU are made in Austria. It is clear to me that there will be a winter season this year, and they will will be safe because we are taking all the necessary precautions, ”explained Köstinger.

The regulations are primarily based on the utilization of the intensive care bed capacities and thus provide the legal framework. There should be hardly any restrictions for those who have been vaccinated or recovered.

In cable cars, the 3-G rule (vaccinated, recovered, tested) and an FFP2 mask requirement should apply to everyone at all levels.
For catering and hotel one is also 3-G-proof be needed at level 3 counts in testing only a PCR test.
There should be no queues in front of the gondolas and cable cars this year, especially since no capacity restrictions are planned. There will also be no distance rules as in the previous year.
The rules for après ski should be based on the rules for night gastronomy. There is a 3-step plan for this. The 3-G rule will also apply to the Christmas markets.

More info here
https://www.tt.com/artikel/30801438/gut-zu-wissen-so-sehen-die-neuen-regeln-fuer-die-wintersaison-aus
ski holidays
@Chris_n, Thanks for that. Looks encouraging/hopeful for a relatively normal season.
snow conditions
Not great for UK kids. How would testing work in resort and how long would a -ve test be valid for? Given that UK children are only being single jabbed, family holidays are going to be a pain. Once again, kids are at the bottom of the pile! They are better off catching it at school (as they are in droves at present) as that will, at least, allow them to travel and/or be confident that they have a level of immunity going forward.......
snow report
I'm not clear on what this all means .

"In cable cars, the 3-G rule (vaccinated, recovered, tested) and an FFP2 mask requirement should apply to everyone at all levels.
For catering and hotel one is also 3-G-proof be needed at level 3 counts in testing only a PCR test.
There should be no queues in front of the gondolas and cable cars this year, especially since no capacity restrictions are planned. There will also be no distance rules as in the previous year.
The rules for après ski should be based on the rules for night gastronomy. There is a 3-step plan for this. The 3-G rule will also apply to the Christmas markets."

I am double vaccinated, but confused by the bit about 3-G and how PCR tests come into the equation
ski holidays
kb36 wrote:
I'm not clear on what this all means .

"In cable cars, the 3-G rule (vaccinated, recovered, tested) and an FFP2 mask requirement should apply to everyone at all levels.
The rules for après ski should be based on the rules for night gastronomy. There is a 3-step plan for this. The 3-G rule will also apply to the Christmas markets."

I am double vaccinated, but confused by the bit about 3-G and how PCR tests come into the equation

There will be queues for gondolas and cable cars - it happens - not sure how they can say they won't... I guess it's that queues would be as usual, not excessive ones seen last winter in resorts that were open
snow report
@kb36, 3-G is a German-language shortcode for the access regulations – vaccination, recovery from infection, testing. The levels referenced are the status levels depending on occupancy of ICU –think of this like UK alert levels. It is currently level 1, but that may well go up before winter. However, from a practical perspective, as a vaccinated person this will probably not make any difference to you.

For the vaccinated: FFP2 mask on cable cars (last year this included chairlifts with covers, but not those without). Carry evidence of vaccination (e.g. as a printout or on your phone). That's it, don't worry about the rest, they don't apply to you.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, Queues will apply as no. of visitors increases, as usual like you say. Hopefully they will do away with all the daft nets and barriers from last season though.

@Klamm Franzer, if antigen tests are allowed for access, they will be 24hr validity. If it has to be PCR, then it will be 48hr (though it takes 24hr to get the result, so little difference in reality but you need to be more organised). Not sure how they will handle them in resort - contact your accommodation provider nearer the time as they may not know yet.
ski holidays
The bit about queues is just poor Google translation, it means that queues will not be created through the need to keep a distance and with full capacity running. We did have some silly queues last year when getting onto chairs on some of the busiest days when the queues were longer than they would have been with normal high season numbers. The pistes would be largely empty as most people were locals skiing very quickly without any stops. We also had small queues at gondolas most mornings as they were only at 50% capacity.
ski holidays
Could be bad news for anyone with unvaccinated / partly vaccinated children atrip to the lift office every day or maybe 2.

Again from Tiroler Tagezeitung
Innsbruck - ÖVP National Councilor and cable car spokesman Franz Hörl thinks it is "quite conceivable" that only those vaccinated and recovered could purchase multi-day passes and season tickets this winter. After all, "access is linked to immunity", he said - and this is controlled through ticket sales. Further discussions are pending here.
snow report
@Scarlet, Thanks for the information. Sounds like a complete nightmare for parents. Hopefully there will be some movement on the jabbing of kids in the UK between now and Feb.... Even an optional 2nd jab, perhaps. One of my kids has had it (and will, therefore be OK to ski) and the other has been careful and avoided it so far but will have to be tested daily in resort.

I presume the Austrian, German and Dutch over 12's will be double jabbed? Also, is there a lower age limit on this - ie. if you have an 8 & 10 year old who are not being vaccinated anywhere, presumably it's not worth going skiing?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy