Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@ousekjarr, its nowhere as bad as that. Even on a Sunday evening at Fasching Kufstein to home is no more than 90 minutes (normally 45 - 50 mins). We live very near to the Munich ring road about 20 -25 minutes drive from the airport. I agree Zell is a fair drive from Kufstein (or go via Lofer) but even then only another 90 minutes on a very busy day. On all but the busiest days 3 hours is enough time to drive from MUC to Zell, though Salzburg is only about an hour, so generally preferable even if the flights are a bit awkward.

In the 80s when I was doing package trips to Ski Amade, it was 24 hours in a coach, couldnt afford the plane!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, it has been on several occasions in my experience. Bayern playing at home, accident on the A99, queues from Rosenheim all the way to Haar or to the airport junction, or nose to tail traffic between Zell and Lofer or Zell and Bischopshofen are all possible, and I’ve been stuck in all of the above on separate occasions. The 2 hour queue to get into and out of Saalfelden wasn’t much fun either.

Google Maps suggests 3.5 hours for a peak time journey in January/February on a Saturday. Much easier on other days. And problems will only add to that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok. Have just rebooked to Salzburg. Still Avios flights in Club available. Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not Munich? I’m trying it for Zell am See in February. Yes a longer drive, but Munich is where all the flights landed when I did package hols to Kitz, Soll, Mayrhofen, ZaS back in the 80s so it can’t be that bad a drive… Loads of BA LHR flights, even a couple from LCY.[/quote]

We don't want to drive at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Owlette wrote:
We need Salzburg as we're going to the Zell am See area, but thank you.

All sorted now with Lufthansa. Mr. Owlette was on the BA website at the weekend and they were still selling our original flight from LGW to SZG, so he wants to know why they were still selling them if they knew they'd be cancelling them this week.

Two ski trips for us. And two cancelled flights (last year our flight home was cancelled on the morning of it due to bad weather in the UK). Maybe it's us?!

I know they fly to inns, I should have said for you to check if they fly to Saulz.
I just checked & they do

They are part of Lufthansa group - so maybe worth investigating if the flight can be moved
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wasn't really planning a trip this year, but something's come up, so we'll be off to the UK in a few weeks. My questions mostly regard Germany, so I've put it here as it's kind of relevant. Bear in mind I haven't crossed any border since Nov 2019!

We are both fully vaccinated and have that on the Austrian Green Pass app, which I believe releases us from any quarantine obligations anywhere, and testing everywhere except the UK. I can also print the PDF.

Out:
Drive Innsbruck – Munich airport. No stop. Do I need any PLF docs for Germany?
Fly Munich – Manchester. Need antigen test (will visit two blokes in a garage first thing in the morning for a free test with an EU cert) and UK PLF (assuming airline might send the link for that?)
Need to make compulsory payment to Tory party fund book day 2 test. This is slightly complicated in that day 2 will be a Sunday and in a holiday cottage in the back end of nowhere. Any issues getting it sent to my mum, who I will probably see on day 3 or 4?

Return:
Fly Manchester – Munich. Need PLF for Germany?
Drive Munich – Innsbruck. Need PLF for Austria?

I'm assuming that Lufthansa don't impose any additional requirements, but hopefully they'll tell me if they do. Shout up if I've missed anything.
Ta.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, Austian app is fine as code is readable by anyone (not that anyone will read it) I printed everything as it is easier to give a ream of paper rather than showing phone multiple times.

Out, no PLF required for Germany as transit is excluded, if you were to get stopped your plane ticket proves transit.
Pharmacy (or garage) tests are fine. Uk PLF https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk Day 2 test is day 2 or before so could be done on Saturday or you can do test on Sunday and post it Monday not that there are any checks to make sure it has been done.

Return, I guess Lufthansa will want a PLF for Germany and you should fill one in for Austria.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, for the UK day 2 nonsense use these folk https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/ . You get a discount if you fly BA but even if not the cost is under 50. I understand they have various drop off boxes around the country or you can post back. The result seems to be pretty irrelevant (apparently they have lost lots) you only need the reference number for the health form to be able to get on the plane. It is quick to do, some folk with us going back to the UK last week realised they had forgot to arrange the night before they flew! They sorted it online in about 10 minutes.

The German form is only needed for return from "high risk" areas see https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile so should be no issue for travelling to Munich from Austria but you will need to fill in on return from UK https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/. There are random checks at Kiefersfelden but should be no issue if you have a green pass.

It looks as if the various rules are going to be reduced here in Bavaria next week, FFP2 seems to be on the way out, despite the increase in cases. The suggestion is that in future any restrictions will be related to the number of people in ICUs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, you need to do the Day 2 test on or before Day 2 (i.e. Day 0 = arrival day, Day 1 or Day 2), but not later. If you can’t get a test posted to you, you can do it on arrival at the airport or you can go to an in-person testing place (e.g. some Boots stores). When I flew (on KLM) they did not send a link to the UK PLF but it‘s easily findable or see Chris_s‘s link above. I advise printing it off, it‘s easier than trying to fiddle on the phone as they read all 4 pages of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If anyone is thinking of using Chronomics for their testing, don’t! They promise a one working day delivery, but it’s turned out to be five for the return to UK kit, so I’m off without it.

My travels aren’t relevant to the Austrian thread Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris_n wrote:
Out, no PLF required for Germany as transit is excluded, if you were to get stopped your plane ticket proves transit.

I thought it might be, but good to hear. I'll be in a local vehicle so not expecting to be stopped, but you never know. Two blokes in a garage is a legitimate testing centre wink but you'd never find it if you didn't know.

munich_irish wrote:
for the UK day 2 nonsense use these folk https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/ .

Hmm, it says you can't use it for day 2, and their helpful “package” includes paying for day 8, at which point I'll be back in Austria, so that doesn't work.

Quote:
It looks as if the various rules are going to be reduced here in Bavaria next week, FFP2 seems to be on the way out, despite the increase in cases. The suggestion is that in future any restrictions will be related to the number of people in ICUs.

That's interesting. I was going to pick up a few FFP2 to use in the airport etc. Still might if it's likely to reduce the chance of picking anything up on the plane. They've already gone out of general use here in Austria.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, Day two test only https://covid.randox.com/day-2/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarlet,

for UK Residents, the day 2 test has to be booked before arrival back in the UK

I would not assume it is the same for you, but worth double checking
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gämsbock wrote:
@Scarlet, you need to do the Day 2 test on or before Day 2 (i.e. Day 0 = arrival day, Day 1 or Day 2), but not later. If you can’t get a test posted to you, you can do it on arrival at the airport or you can go to an in-person testing place (e.g. some Boots stores). When I flew (on KLM) they did not send a link to the UK PLF but it‘s easily findable or see Chris_s‘s link above. I advise printing it off, it‘s easier than trying to fiddle on the phone as they read all 4 pages of it.

Looks like we'll be lugging half a dead tree with us Confused

For some reason I had it in my head as on or after day 2, but before makes more sense (not that I expect UK regs to make sense...). Is airport testing an option when you book then? It's going to depend on what time we arrive, I guess (could be 7pm by the time we've cleared the border), and we'll still have to collect a hire car before a 2hr drive. I'm reluctant to have it sent to a holiday home that won't be in our possession until the Saturday, and we'll only be in for a couple of days – basically, if it doesn't arrive exactly Saturday, then the chance of it getting to me are slim to none. My mum at least has an easily accessible address, and I will be there at some point.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, there are airports that have testing, there also walk up (with appointment) locations were you can get a pcr test.

I know what you mean about half a tree!
latest report
radar wrote:
@Scarlet, Day two test only https://covid.randox.com/day-2/

Thanks. Looks like I can get drive through testing for £55 each. Presumably it's ok to do this immediately on leaving the airport?
snow report
Can't see a problem with that, it fulfils the requirement for on or before day 2.
snow conditions
@Scarlet, yes, the paperwork is ridiculous now. You need to book the Day 2 test before you depart and then you need to add the reference number to the PLF before you can submit the PLF. You can book an airport location though. To be honest I doubt there‘s actually any follow-up after that. If you can get it off your Mum on day 3 early enough to make the post on Day 3 that‘s probably close enough (esp. with Day 2 being on a Sunday). It‘s not like you actually need the result for anything. Agree with you about not using the holiday home, esp. as they seem to use courier companies who take a photo of it in front of your open front door to prove they‘ve delivered it.

For flying back leave lots of time at Manchester: they were completely understaffed when I was there 2 weeks ago despite it being nowhere near busy. We got in the bag drop line 2h before flight departure (when it supposedly opened, but huge queue already when we got there), queued for an hour for bag drop / document check, then queued a further 45 mins at security before being pulled out of the line and directed to the staff scanner so we wouldn‘t miss our flight. In contrast to Zürich and Amsterdam which are both operating like pre-COVID airports now, it was a ghost town with most things air side shut.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 27-08-21 9:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Scarlet, sorry, no need for PLF for Austria from UK if fully vaccinated since latest change.
ski holidays
Just properly catching up on the last couple of pages now. The whole testing thing seems over complicated and faffy.

Could someone please break it down into idiot terms for me.

I understand it as we are two adults, both double vaccinated. Two children aged 8 and 10. Flying via Frankfurt to Salzburg. We don't need to do anything for Germany's requirements as it's just a transit stop. We can get tests in a pharmacy for 25€ each for the adults prior to return. The children don't need to test.

But do we need to test going out or is vaccination be proof enough?

And we need to test two days after we get back, but not with the NHS tests (of which we have many)?

Thank you in advance for unfrazzling my brain.
latest report
@Owlette, is this for your ski trip? There's no point trying to apply current rules to travel months away. It's all likely to change. Just be mindful say a month before, check then and keep an eye on travel announcement dates
snow report
Yes it is.

I was about to edit to add that I know it'll all change, I just can't seem to get my head around it at all so would like a better understanding of it all.
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
Can't see a problem with that, it fulfils the requirement for on or before day 2

Yep, that might be the best plan then. Also has the advantage that it's the point we're most likely to test negative, before we go and join a load of people in a party house wink

Quote:
sorry, no need for PLF for Austria from UK if fully vaccinated since latest change.

Really? Excellent. Does Germany inbound not also count as transit though? I'll only be there a couple of hours.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 27-08-21 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Owlette wrote:
.We can get tests in a pharmacy for 25€ each for the adults prior to return. The children don't need to test.

But do we need to test going out or is vaccination be proof enough?

At current rules, no need to test outbound. Inbound tests can be obtained for free (may or may not be convenient though – speak to your hotel or tourist info nearer the time to see what test centres are running locally).
latest report
@Scarlet, the UK is on the "high risk" list for Germany so a PLF is required on arrival for your return trip. In theory not required for transit but given how easy it is to do, best done to avoid arguments with clueless check in staff. I thought a pre departure test was required in the UK but perhaps have got confused with the multiplicity of tests the UK seems to require.
latest report
From Austria.info

c) Travellers from all other countriesEntering Austria is possible.

All travellers need to show either proof of full vaccination OR proof of past infection OR a negative COVID test.

Travellers who can show proof of full vaccination do not need to self-isolate and do not need to register for pre-travel clearance.

Unvaccinated travellers (those who show a negative test or proof of a past infection, not a vaccine certificate) need to register digitally in advance to obtain pre-travel clearance. Find more information on the pre-travel clearance here and find the form you need to fill in before travelling here.

Unvaccinated travellers (those who show a negative test or proof of a past infection, not a vaccine certificate) also need to self-isolate for 10 days (can take test after 5 days to end quarantine early).

Children up to the age of 17 are able to enter Austria with no need to quarantine if accompanied by their fully vaccinated parents, but from the ages of 12 to 17 they also have to show proof of a negative test/past infection/vaccination.
snow report
I’ve just realised that my route through Germany may be scuppered by my paperwork Confused I have applied for the post-brexit article 50 residency card, but currently only have the confirmation of application document, not the card itself.

I can use this doc to travel in and out of Austria, but I’m not sure it would be recognised in Germany. Does anyone have any experience of entering Schengen with such a document, ideally in Germany? Otherwise we’ll have to try and get flights via Vienna, and the costs and time requirements start to become prohibitive Sad
latest report
@Scarlet,

I thought the 50 EUV card was only required from 01.01.2022. Would have thought your Meldezettel would be enough till 31.12.2021 but am not 100% sure on this.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, You have no issue entering Germany with or without the residency card. UK citizens have the 90 days in 180 days thing. The issue you might get, which a number of others have had, is that the border folk in Munich may decide to stamp your passport. That in itself isnt an issue but if you get stamped "in" to Schengen on arriving in Munich you should get stamped "out" on crossing into Austria, try finding an Austrian border bod at Kufstein!

A friend of mine lives in Italy, drove back to the UK. On his return trip the French insisted on stamping his passport at Folkstone despite him showing them his Italian residency card. Of course there was no sign of anyone at the Italian border at Ventimiglia when he drove through. He then spent hours wading through various Italian bureaucracy trying to get someone to stamp his passport, eventually being told he had to go back to Ventimiglia (he lives near Bologna) to get the stamp! Naturally he decided not to bother and sort the next time he flew or crossed into Switzerland.
latest report
@DB, not sure, but same problem? I vaguely remember the Embassy saying only to enter Schengen in Austria if you didn’t have the card.
snow report
@munich_irish, yes, that’s exactly the scenario I envisage. I’m up to my eyeballs in paperwork hassles at the moment, and don’t really want to add to them.
snow report
@Scarlet,
Just found this.
https://www.britishinaustria.net/faq/can-the-art-50-euv-card-be-used-as-a-travel-document/

As I understand it the 50 euv card replaces the Meldezettel after 31.12.2021. If you are an Austrian resident then they shouldn’t stamp your passport if you show your Meldezettel (& 50 euv card application).
snow conditions
@Scarlet, the reality is that lots of others have had exactly the same issue. Whatever the theory from the Commission or Brits in Europe it is up to individual border officers whether they stamp your passport or not. I suspect that it is very unlikely to make any odds in the end, you are entitled to live and work in Austria, that isnt going to change whatever stamps you have in your passport. Stop worrying and enjoy your trip!
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
I’ve just realised that my route through Germany may be scuppered by my paperwork Confused I have applied for the post-brexit article 50 residency card, but currently only have the confirmation of application document, not the card itself.

I can use this doc to travel in and out of Austria, but I’m not sure it would be recognised in Germany. Does anyone have any experience of entering Schengen with such a document, ideally in Germany? Otherwise we’ll have to try and get flights via Vienna, and the costs and time requirements start to become prohibitive Sad

I wouldn't worry about it, easy for me to say as I have an article 50 card Very Happy . At the worst they will stamp your passport, by the time this could be a problem you should have your card so if you were questioned about it you could prove you were resident. Don't know when you are travelling or what your hold up is but when you have everything in place card only takes 3 or 4 days to get (I was waiting for info for Gesundheitskassa from HMRC for over 2 months meaning I had to buy private health insurance as I don't work other than ski instructing which didn't happen last season). When I went to UK recently I had my card as I delayed the trip until I had second vaccination but if the card hadn't been sorted in time I would have been happy to travel with the yellow sheet (can't remember what it was called).
As @munich_irish said stop worrying and enjoy your trip.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, it’s a complicated application which has sent me down an unforeseen paperwork rabbit hole as I try to source documents that may not actually exist Confused The ones that I know how to get will take several weeks, and then I have to get everything translated, which will take some more weeks and in total will probably cost over a grand. Gotta love Brexit.

However, if we cut the trip short by one day, we can fly via Vienna which is easier in some respects because we don’t have to drive to Munich.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, can't comment on your application but I needed birth certificate, marriage certificate, Meldezettel changing to Hauptwohnsitz as we were only part timers previously, proof of financial status and health insurance. Health Insurance was the only problem due to delays from HMRC. As we were already in Austria we had no certificates but I got my daughter to scan them and send me PDFs which I printed, no translations were necessary.
snow report
@Scarlet,

I mentioned in another thread about Air Austria. They fly LHR from INN & SZB
Worth a look. . .
snow report
@Mr.Egg, thanks, but no-one wants to do a really long drive from LHR.

@Chris_n, if only it were that simple. I have sought professional advice, but it will be neither fast nor cheap.
ski holidays
Just come across this news item, not relevant to current but might be of interest to some planning Winter 2022. I have also posted on "Snowsports".

26 Aug 21
The famous Hanhnenkamm Downhill at Kitzbühel in the Austrian Tirol is to run twice on the infamous Streif course on both Friday 21st and January 22nd 2022 this coming winter, at the 82nd staging of the race.

The Friday staging of the race, named “The Hahnenkamm Kitzbühel Downhill” with “The Hahnenkamm Original Downhill” on the Saturday, replaces the usual Super G event. The slalom race is still scheduled for the Sunday.
snow report
Am I being nieve, but I cant see where on the euro tunnel app on my phone where I can upload the negative test result..fingers crossed.... and the passenger info form. I can do it on my desk top, but when I`m in Austria I wont have the benefit of a scanner etc to do it on line, other than using the App on my moby.

Update...

Ive now logged onto eurotunnel online on my phone, as to on the App, and now I can do it. So whats the good of having an App that doesnt do things like above!!!!!!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy