Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@jafa, Yes as Holland is not on the UK amber+ list at the moment but who knows what the situation will be tomorrow! I dont believe there are restrictions in the Netherlands on people travelling from Germany or Austria assuming you have not been in the UK or similar in the preceding 10 days. Do note that the Netherlands has a relatively high incidence rate and some countries have restrictions like testing requirements for those who have been in the country.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
radar wrote:
@munich_irish, The Dutch site isn't easy to navigate and I'm one of them (half), but a UK citizen Confused I've had a look at another page and I stand corrected.

If you are transiting less than 12 hours , then you don't need to self isolate

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay

Transit is one of the exceptions to quarantine requirements but you are still supposed to have a good reason to travel which does not include holidays. Though the English families with young children clearly on their way to holidays on Saturdays Hull - Europoort must have given a reason that was acceptable!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
weve bitten the bullet,( never booked so early)booked the potential ski trip for next march (saalbach)on a (self travel and hotel)deal that offers no cost until 2 weeks before departure so that at least gives us time to ensure the trip can be accomplished and guaranteed us the chance to go if possible as cant/ dont want to pay up front when the insurance wont stand by travel arrangements if as now govt advice is dont travel . Wether or not we will be able or it be sensible to go or wether things will be more or less open to enable us to enjoy the trip we now have something to look forward to without any financial implication for 8 months and its a reasonable deal
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been for my day 5 PCR at Kufstein testing centre, was going to just use the local pharmacy but woke this morning to a text from the authorities telling me they had helpfully made a booking for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What was the cost of that?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jafa, testing in Austria is generally free, at least for residents and tourists in Austria (i.e. not in transit).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jafa, free for all whether resident or tourist. As long as you can provide a Tyrol address (hotel is fine in the case of tourists). Having said that there was a Rosenheim registered car 2 in front of me in the queue, maybe they have a secondary residence here. There is a fear that when Germany reintroduces testing as a requirement that some will try to get free tests here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris_n, not sure how much difference the "test requirement" is going to have. Assuming that the info in the media is correct (there is still no "official" announcement) fully vaccinated folk are exempt from the requirement (so basically the same as the Austrian 3G thing). Given that applies to a good majority of the adult population there will not be that many people requiring tests on the way home. Tests are free here too at the moment though that is going to change in the near future, so cant see why many people would travel from Rosenheim to Kufstein simply to get a test though Kiefersfelden cars also have a "RO" plate so maybe the Kufstein spot was simply the nearest place (plenty work in Tirol and live in Bavaria). The police have already said they cant practically enforce this besides a few random checks, the hope is most people will comply.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, I think the concern was more that people travelling from say, Italy, back to Germany would stop off for a test in Austria if it was free rather than paying elsewhere. Austria is bringing in similar rules and setting up testing sites at the airports and main motorway junctions to service the demand, but obviously these sites would also be useful to German travellers (and vice versa if Germany sets up a similar scheme). If you can easily get a free test once over the border in Germany, that removes the incentive a little. I thought commuters were exempt from such things though?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, I believe non vaccinated commuters will have to do two tests a week. The plan, as in most places, is to make life more difficult for the non vaccinated. I believe you will need to upload your test result before travelling as you must fill in an "Einreiseformular" and upload vaccination or test proof at the same time so dont think a test at, say, Kufstein will be much use. This really is all about predominately younger people bringing back infections from places like Mallorca or Croatia rather than more sedate folk coming back from hiking trips etc in the Tirol.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, totally agree with what you are saying. Loads of new infections in Austria due to a festival in Croatia rather than the more sedate folk bringing infections with them wink . There is however still enough concern over the free tests that ministers have been giving quotes to the press over the last couple of days. While there may be a requirement to fill in pre travel forms many will not do so and will need a test result at the border to enter.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Austria moved to Green list. We still aren't allowed into austria from the UK
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, you are...
(as in you, not 'one' as in not 'one is' but 'you, Holidaywhatsit is'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, only if I go somewhere else without restrictions for 10 days before.....or do you mean because of the flat? If do I can't see the exemption as I don't have any permits.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, At the moment you still have to suffer the 5 day quarantine - but as you have a Nebenwohnsitz and this should be on your Meldzettel then you are allowed entry.
snow report
@flangesax, do I have a meldzettel? How do I know?

I think Nebenwohnsitz is open to interpretation though....second residence = second home? You can have a home without it being a residence.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@flangesax, do I have a meldzettel? How do I know?

It's a piece of paper that looks like this.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldezettel_(%C3%96sterreich)#/media/Datei:Bestaetigung_der_meldung_2007-07-09.jpg
ski holidays
It is clear and not unless you choose it not to be!. ~( https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html?fbclid=IwAR0DgcR63CXYAHjiPDxJE8ksakamD4xNu1tkaWHcz3ngFUXyGhhBswK-N3c )

"Entry from virus variant areas and states is still highly restricted. Essentially, only Austrian citizens and persons who have a place of residence or are normally resident in Austria may enter the country."

Place of residence is your Nebenwohnsitz. The Meldzettel is the document from the Gemeinde that says that you are a resident of that property as a second home.
This has been in place since about last September.

You are a 'resident' whilst residing in your own property; you pay property taxes etc.. etc... etc....

This was the work around that dodgy places used last winter.
They signed up guests at the Gemeinde as second home residents (as it has nothing to do with the ownership and can be changed very easily). Then let their places as ususal.

This is a good group to follow on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/531608384706954
latest report
I'm pretty sure I don't have that as I have never been in Austria longer than 3 months (even as an EU citizen) so have never had to register. I have only ever been to the flat for short holidays, longest was 3 weeks I think. So a holidaymaker not a second residence.

I have no recollection of anything other than registering the flat as a holiday home, which I did by email, and that kept me right with the gemeinde for holiday rentals and second home owner ortstaxe supplement.
snow report
@flangesax, thanks. I think I need to contact the Gemeinde, but it seems I need to do it in person so it will have to wait
snow report
Should be able to do it by email. I don't see why not. It is literally a copy of the existing document. Might cost 3 euros or so to change anything. But just say you need it to travel.
snow conditions
@flangesax, looking at a website says must be in person, email or possible. Will ask the Gemeinde
snow conditions
So if we travel back from Austria, transiting in the usual way, Germany, Lux, Belgium, Dunkerque/Calais, can we do a lateral flow test for a day two test?
ski holidays
@jafa, Each country you transit counts as a amber/green country whether you stop there or not.

As most of these are Amber or will shortly be green, if you are double vaccinated then there is just an Antigen/Lateral flow requirement up to day 2 of arrival in the UK with no quarantine.
You may need a test within 48 hours before your channel crossing - but I don't know about that.
snow report
@jafa, you can get either PCR or antigen tests for free in Austria before you leave, so check travel requirements on those. Not sure if they would count for the day 2 test though, as I think it's compulsory to pay one of Johnson's mates an inflated fee for them Confused
ski holidays
Its the UK end that I was enquiring about, the 2 day test after arriving back into the UK
snow conditions
@jafa, yeah, that's what I mean – doesn't that have to be booked with one of the UK “approved” suppliers?
snow report
@Scarlet, @jafa, we are waiting for our day 2 and day 8 tests to arrive from Expert Medicals, which isn’t impressive as we are on Day 3 now. They are promised today. We told the test and trace bods who rang yesterday and we had the threat of being fined if not completed on day 2. Maybe avoid Expert Medicals, who are on the approved list, frankly I am not concerned now. Just a hassle.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are horror stories about many of the UK providers on the internet, some companies have been removed from the list (probably been replaced with a new name but same company). Maybe it's best to book an in person test then at least the test is done though you could still be waiting for the result. My day 2 result didn't come back till day 5, thankfully the day 8 came next day. For my return trip I booked an in person test at the Metrocentre and got result next day.
Don't think test and trace called after day 6 or 7!
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, @flangesax,

We did ours in Flachau last September. It does need to be in person and you need to book an appointment. Easy to do online. The process took about 20 mins, you walk away with a paper copy of the Meldzettel and a couple of weeks later the Flachau Resident's cards arrive in the post. Simples.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
I'm pretty sure I don't have that as I have never been in Austria longer than 3 months (even as an EU citizen) so have never had to register. I have only ever been to the flat for short holidays, longest was 3 weeks I think. So a holidaymaker not a second residence.

I have no recollection of anything other than registering the flat as a holiday home, which I did by email, and that kept me right with the gemeinde for holiday rentals and second home owner ortstaxe supplement.

Not sure if when you stay in your own holiday home you are then classed as a "holiday maker" or a "resident". As far as I am aware a holiday maker has to register if staying over 3 months whereas a resident has to register within 3 days. Did you pay the ortstaxe for yourself when you stayed in your own apartment?
snow report
Travel to Austria for double vaccinated allowed from this Sunday
latest report
Teletart wrote:
Travel to Austria for double vaccinated allowed from this Sunday

snowHead
snow report
Info about Austria

https://cms.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/
latest report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@holidayloverxx, @flangesax,

We did ours in Flachau last September. It does need to be in person and you need to book an appointment. Easy to do online. The process took about 20 mins, you walk away with a paper copy of the Meldzettel and a couple of weeks later the Flachau Resident's cards arrive in the post. Simples.

I just did mine by email. I've got a Meldezettel by return. I don't have....or want....a residents card. I'm not resident nor do I want to be. Am I missing something?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Not sure if when you stay in your own holiday home you are then classed as a "holiday maker" or a "resident". As far as I am aware a holiday maker has to register if staying over 3 months whereas a resident has to register within 3 days. Did you pay the ortstaxe for yourself when you stayed in your own apartment?

I have never stayed more than three weeks and I have always paid the ortstaxe...at a premium as a second home. I'm a holidaymaker who happens to own my holiday home and I pay accordingly
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, No you're not missing anything. If you stick to second home status there's no need to do anything else. 90 in 180 rule applies though. See you in the winter.
snow report
Quote:
Info about Austria

https://cms.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

Hmm - not all good: just read the small print & vaccine is only valid for 270 days
Mine was in April so would expire in Jan, so wonder if we will need a booster to ski in the winter Puzzled

Quote:
3.evidence of vaccination against COVID-19 with a vaccine listed in Appendix C, if the following conditions are met:

a) 21 days have passed since the first vaccination, although this must not be more than 90 days ago (in force until 18 August 2021),
b) second vaccination not more than 270 days ago,
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Info about Austria

Good news for any Brits who have entered the Zell Ironman Triathlon on 29 August.

So, from Sunday, what documentation would be required for two doubly vaccinated adults to drive from the UK to Austria via France and Germany?
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, there is lots of info on the "travel to France" thread on what you need to go to France and onwards, from the various reports it sounds straightforward. Probably best to avoid the Hull Rotterdam ferry as that sounds like grief. If you are just transiting Germany than no need for paperwork, though best to make sure you have the Austrian form printed out just in case there is a check (very unlikely but you can then prove you are passing through on the way to Austria). If you are going to stay overnight in a hotel in Germany you will need to fill in this form https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ and upload your vaccine certs. Also be aware that both Germany & Austria require FFP2 masks in many situations, you can get away with the basic ones by playing stupid tourist but best get them beforehand if you can, they are sold in every service station & supermarket here. I would also highly recommend using one of the German apps eg Corona Warn to scan in your vaccine cert (yes they work with NHS certs and are in English) which gives you an EU "green pass"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy