Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@jafa, thanks, we didn’t get ours done in time!

Picking up on @holidayloverxx, comment, the Austrian embassy still states
Attention: new entry requirements for Austria from 1 July 2021, 00:00
With the amendment to the entry regulations of the Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection coming into force on 1 July 2021, entry from the United Kingdom is still prohibited!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I started with the Austrian embassy in London... and spoke with a Swedish national!!

This was the final info I was sent to which I asked if we comply.

according to § 6 Abs 1 Z3 of the current Covid 19 entry regulation are people from the United Kingdom allowed to enter Austria if they have a residence or habitual abode in EU / EEA countries or Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican or Switzerland and people who live with them in the same household.

When I sent them my registration, there were no issues, other than being double jabbed didn`t excuse us from the same restrictions
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm...i certainly registered my place as a second home and pay a 50% tax hike as a result. Need to dig it out and see what it is.

@jafa, is that Covid Entry Regulation for Austria? countries can set their own rules
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got that sent to me from the Bezirkshauptmannschaft Kitzbühel

I also had this in the text

"The best is if you inform us, as the responsible authority, before you choose to enter Austria."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From the Bundesministerium website (apologies for Google translate):

Entry from virus variant areas and states (valid since July 1, 2021)
Entry is generally prohibited. There are exceptions, among other things

for Austrian citizens, for EU / EEA / Swiss citizens and people who live with them in the same household;
for people with residence or residence permit in EU / EEA countries or Switzerland and people who live with them in the same household;
for pupils or students in Austria;
for business travelers or
for people who enter the country for unforeseeable, urgent, family reasons that are particularly worthy of consideration.
If there is an exception, you have to register, present a negative PCR test upon entry and go into quarantine for ten days, from which you can test yourself at the earliest on the fifth day after entry.

There is no quarantine obligation for people who arrive for unforeseeable, urgent, family reasons that are particularly worthy of consideration or for compulsory court or official appointments.

Virus variant areas and states are currently:

Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini, India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Russia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Uruguay and the United Kingdom.

So the question is whether Nebenwohnsitz counts as a residence permit. There seems to be a difference of opinion amongst the BH.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mankei, I would say it is not a residence permit. It is simply proof that you have A residence.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does anyone know what entry conditions apply to someone who rather rents (long term) an apartment rather than actually owning it?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clear as mud but this is from Austrian government website English language pages. Reads to me as anyone with Nebenwhonsitz or Fereinwhonung or whatever the relevant local authority calls it are able to travel regardless of whether they rent or own the property.

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

2. Entry from virus variant areas and states (Appendix 2): pre-travel clearance form, molecular test (e.g. PCR)  and quarantine

Entry from virus variant areas and states is still highly restricted. Essentially, only Austrian citizens and persons who have a place of residence or are normally resident in Austria may enter the country. However, it is possible to enter for humanitarian reasons or for compelling reasons in the interests of the Republic. There are also other exceptions.           
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mankei, Nebenwhonsitz is not a residence permit. It can still be converted to one if you have been in Austria since last year. Received a reminder from the Gemeinde this morning even though we have sorted our Article 50 cards already.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@espri, many Austrians rent apartments rather than own (myself included). If you are resident in Austria, then that is residency regardless of property ownership. I think the residency status is clearer now for British people in order to qualify for the new Article 50 card.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Immigration Service in NL has reached out to Brits in NL .Before the end of last year nearly all had got their New Permanment Residency Cards.
I heard from one Brit who has been in NL for years that the New Card is valid for 10 yrs..

I read in the Dutch media that the immigration service is still trying to track down 3000-4000 who have not yet applied....so they extended the deadline until October...probably will go to December

I expect many of these missing Brits have probably left the country and forgotten or did not bother to de-register ..

What i have heard from EX pat Brits is the NL Government has been extremely pro active, efficient & helpful also for X Border Worker .EU Permits

I have also read in Dutch Legal Media -- There are also some basic Human Rights issues the NL Government is addressing as long term Brit Expats are not allowed to vote in the UK (strange) or NL so their maybe a legal basis to grant Dutch Citizenship for them so they can have a democratic right to Vote restored ...

The UK needs to looks after its own Citizens a lot better where ever they may live imo
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I have also read in Dutch Legal Media -- There are also some basic Human Rights issues the NL Government is addressing as long term Brit Expats are not allowed to vote in the UK (strange) or NL so their maybe a legal basis to grant Dutch Citizenship for them so they can have a democratic right to Vote restored ...

It is the same in France.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mankei wrote:
From the Bundesministerium website (apologies for Google translate):

So the question is whether Nebenwohnsitz counts as a residence permit. There seems to be a difference of opinion amongst the BH.

wll i dont think so...usually not.
Ein ordentlicher Wohnsitz ist dadurch gekennzeichnet, dass eine Person im Laufe eines Jahres zeitlich überwiegend dort wohnt, und dass das aufgrund persönlicher sowie ggf. beruflicher Bindungen geschieht (vgl. BayVGH, U.v. 14.3.2013 – 11 B 12.1314 – Rn. 28, B.v. 23.7.2012 - 11 AE 12.1013).

As long as i know in EU vor a residence permit you have to live in that place minimum 180 days (or 185 i dont remember exactly), meaning over 50% from the 365 days a year. Then and only then you have the right for a residence permit.

However for some things like entrance in an area or State , country etc in times of corona some countries accepted also the Nebenwohnsitz
But you dont have to look what Austria in generally says. You have to check out what Tirol, Salzburgerland etc says.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for the info, @Chris_n, @Mankei and @turms2. I've passed it on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some potential good news.

Sitting in the village pub over the weekend we met a British couple who had driven over a few days beforehand. They are friends with some other Brits (now also Germans!) who live in the village and are planning to stay for a little while. They had driven over using the tunnel and said besides a bit of a slow queue to get their passports stamped there was no issues at all. They have not had to physically show their vaccine certs etc to anyone though they had uploaded them to the German travel arrival form (which has never been checked though they did get a welcome to Germany, stick to the rules text). They are planning a mixture of remote working and holiday.

They had been hoping to get their EU green passes. Here you need a QR code to scan into an app (same as most places) which you either get at a central vaccination station or from a pharmacy on presentation of evidence of vaccination (Germans have a little booklet - Impfpass). In theory this is also possible for non German certificates. The pharmacies here in the village were a bit confused by this and were not willing to produce a code, they were planning on going into town to one of the "International" pharmacies until it was announced that pharmacies have temporally suspended giving codes to anyone over hacking concerns! I had read on here that UK folk were managing to scan their UK codes into the French app so suggested they try with the German "Corona Warn" app. It worked! Two happy people now have their EU green passes (cue some grumbling from a few locals who have not managed to get their second jab yet Smile ).

They want to visit Salzburg at some point but were planning on waiting for at least 14 days after leaving the UK before doing so, though not sure they need to. As far as I can see they comply with the rules for entering Austria (maybe someone here thinks otherwise) as they have a green pass though I would suggest driving in a UK registered vehicle into Austria might not be advisable but cant see an issue going in by train or a local hire car.

This might be a solution for those UK folk missing Austria. A stay in the Bavarian alps before heading off into the Tirol or where ever.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, no British allowed into Austria just for a holiday

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, but - taken from Austrian government site

Quote:
The COVID-19-Einreiseverordnung 2021 stipulates three categories:

1. Entry from states and regions with a low epidemiological risk (Appendix 1): 3 forms of verification, no quarantine

These states and regions are listed in Appendix 1 of the COVID-19-Einreiseverordnung 2021; they include EU/EEA states as well as third countries with a low incidence of COVID-19. Every type of entry into the country is possible from these countries – including tourist travel.

For entry into the country, a current test or evidence of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19 is required. If you cannot provide such proof, you need to register using the pre-travel clearance form and to have a test carried out promptly or at least within 24 hours of entering Austria. Evidence of vaccination can be provided by a document written in Latin characters issued in German or English (e.g. a yellow vaccination pass) mentioning a vaccine which has been authorised by the EMA or which has completed the WHO’s EUL process (Emergency Use Listing Procedure). See Appendix CGerman text for vaccines. Evidence of recovery from COVID-19 must take the form of confirmation in German or English (in Latin characters) from a doctor or a public authority (such as an official self-isolation order) of having recovered from the infection in the last 180 days. Evidence of neutralising antibodies (an antibody test) is also considered to be proof of recovery, but may be no more than 90 days old at the time of entry into the country.

The following states are currently in Appendix 1: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Australia, Belgium, Bosnia- and Herzegovina, Brunei, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, the Duchy of Liechtenstein, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Canada, Qatar, Kosovo, Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Czech Republic, Hungary, the Vatican, USA, Vietnam, Cyprus.

plus

Quote:

2. Entry from virus variant areas and states (Appendix 2): pre-travel clearance form, molecular test (e.g. PCR) and quarantine
Entry from virus variant areas and states is still highly restricted. Essentially, only Austrian citizens and persons who have a place of residence or are normally resident in Austria may enter the country. However, it is possible to enter for humanitarian reasons or for compelling reasons in the interests of the Republic. There are also other exceptions.

For persons entering from a virus variant area, or who have been in such an area during the last ten days, .....

ie if you left the UK (or any other such designated area) more than 10 days ago & have a green pass you are OK.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, well, well, well. No good to me though. No intention of being in another country for 10 days before entry. I'll just have to wait.
snow report
munich_irish wrote:

This might be a solution for those UK folk missing Austria. A stay in the Bavarian alps before heading off into the Tirol or where ever.

yes and now...at present GB ist a Hochinzidenzgebiet...meaning if you had the vaccine you are ok.
But if GR will be a VirusVariante Gebiet (Mutation Area), then you have to stay 14 D. in qarantäne...even if you are vaccinated...
latest report
Re: " Impfpass" Yellow Book..

We have this in NL and other EU Countries ...

But ... It is NOT Proof of Vaccination ...it is just a record of your vaccinations

Be careful dont rely on it ..!!!

Only the EDCC is acceptable which you can download from your respective EU Government Portals

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

yes and now...at present GB ist a Hochinzidenzgebiet...meaning if you had the vaccine you are ok.
But if GR will be a VirusVariante Gebiet (Mutation Area), then you have to stay 14 D. in qarantäne...even if you are vaccinated...

I am fully vaxxed and returned to Austria from UK on Sunday. UK is an appendix 2 country and requires a negative PCR less than 72 hours old and a 10 day quarantine with the option to test out on day 5 with a negative PCR. This would not have been necessary if I had stayed in Germany for 10 days.
Tirol is currently rolling out free PCR tests to all returnees with test centres in several larger towns and 100 of 130 local pharmacies expected to join tomorrow.

Quote from Austrian gov website

"For persons entering from a virus variant area, or who have been in such an area during the last ten days, the following applies as previously: entry is only possible with a negative molecular test result (e.g. a PCR test). In this case, obligatory testing also applies to persons who have been vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19. The result of the molecular test has to be presented to the authorities if a check is carried out. In addition, a pre-travel clearance form has to be filled in online and a ten-day period of self-isolation has to be completed. However, quarantine can be ended earlier by obtaining a new negative molecular test result (e.g. PCR) on the fifth day after entry (whereby the day of entry counts as ‘day zero’).        

Appendix 2: Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini, India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Russia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Uruguay and the United Kingdom."
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@munich_irish, no British allowed into Austria just for a holiday

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

So screwed by Brexit at the moment

Nice one

At least they accept Covishield which may be relevant this winter if and when they let us in
ski holidays
As of 4am next Monday 2nd August, fully vaccinated people who live in Amber List countries in the EU or USA will not have quarantine on arrival in the UK.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
As of 4am next Monday 2nd August, fully vaccinated people who live in Amber List countries in the EU or USA will not have quarantine on arrival in the UK.

Great news… but…

Anyone know what it means if you land on Sunday 1st August? Do you have to still quarantine for 10 days? Or just 1?
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, 10 days
ski holidays
@radar, do you have that in writing from an official source? I know the whole thing is already ridiculous, but that does take the biscuit a bit.
Although (and I realise I‘m in the Austrian thread here) I am not even anyway sure if it will apply to Switzerland anyway.
latest report
This bloke is the UK's Transport Minister so (in theory given the UK's history on this Smile ) he is as near to an official source as exists https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1420374101097598979?s=20. He says "European countries" so that would include Switzerland. I would have thought for anyone planning to travel before next Monday best to delay until then. One point to be aware of that it is not impossible that some countries - maybe Spain for instance might get upgraded to Amber+ where the quarantine thing could still apply.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, thanks, good to see that CH is probably included.
Not enjoying the decision about whether to spend hundreds of pounds changing my flight or doing 10 days quarantine though Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gämsbock, If you arrive before the regulations change then those rules will apply, the new regulations come into effect at 04:00 on Monday, so you would need to arrive after that to avoid the quarantine, you could opt for the test and release scheme, whereby you can take a test after you have been in England for 5 full days.

From the gov.uk site:
"The UK government has today (28 July 2021) announced that passengers arriving from amber countries who have been fully vaccinated in Europe (EU Member States, European Free Trade Association countries and the European microstate countries of Andorra, Monaco and Vatican City) and the USA will not have to quarantine when entering England"
which means that Switzerland is included as its in the EFTA

More from the gov.uk site:
From 4am 2 August 2021, passengers who are fully vaccinated in the EU with vaccines authorised by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or in the USA with vaccines authorised by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), or in the Swiss vaccination programme, will be able to travel to England without having to quarantine or take a day 8 test on arrival.

Edit: the rule change only applies to England, Scotland and Wales have yet to decide what their next steps are
snow conditions
back on topic Toofy Grin , the Austrian Embassy have had a tidy up of their website, however nothing has changed UK travellers are still banned Crying or Very sad

snow report
@radar, Thanks. It’s difficult to describe my frustration with pointless rules surrounding a trip I don’t want to do but have to do that’s costing so much money and creating so much hassle. I only booked the flights a couple of days ago after the government said the first step would be GP recognition for British residents vaccinated abroad. Based on today’s announcement it appears that they actually are sufficiently stupid that they hasn’t realized the people who actually need to enter the UK (non-resident citizens) don’t have GPs. I’m pleased they’ve seen sense and are changing the rules so that Brits living abroad are treated the same as Brits returning from holiday in terms of quarantine but it’s incredibly frustrating to miss out for one day because they’ve changed their minds again.

I was going to do test and release but unfortunately there’s no on site testing anywhere near. I’d quite like a trip into London, but not sure I could justify 2h each way if the quarantine folk comes calling? The postal ones seem to involve you not getting the results until day 8 which seems basically pointless.
ski holidays
@Gämsbock, I feel your pain! both as a Travel Agent and an apartment owner in Austria
latest report
Dont go via NL though, you have to be in 14 day quarantine
ski holidays
@nitriledirect, in which country do you need to quarantine for 14 days when arriving from the Netherlands?
ski holidays
@Gämsbock, does he mean quarantine in NL?
latest report
@holidayloverxx, ah possibly. Thanks for the explanation!
snow report
@Gämsbock, @holidayloverxx, it's the entry requirement into the Netherlands for UK citizens, I have tickets for the Dutch GP in early September and am keeping my fingers cross, its actually 10 days and if you test negative on day 5 you are no longer required to self isolate.

If you were thinking of driving through the Netherlands check this page https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay

There are different rules for the EU/Schengen area

The Dutch Government is due to review the rules on 15/16 August

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 29-07-21 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@radar, surely if you take the Harwich - Hook ferry, drive though to Germany you are covered by the German regulations ie no quarantine (or currently even test) if you have been vaccinated? Holland is on the UK amber list?
snow conditions
@munich_irish, The Dutch site isn't easy to navigate and I'm one of them (half), but a UK citizen Confused I've had a look at another page and I stand corrected.

If you are transiting less than 12 hours , then you don't need to self isolate

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay
ski holidays
So technically, at the moment, I could travel back from Austria going HoH to Harwich, no problems, as long as less than 12 hours in NL? And then no self isolation back in the uK?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy