Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@radar, not sure if you noticed the statement from Angela Merkel yesterday, there must be many media links but this does https://www.thelocal.de/20210702/merkel-hopes-to-ease-travel-rules-for-vaccinated-uk-visitors-to-germany-in-foreseeable-future/ . Basically what she said was that as the Delta variant is now present everywhere there is no longer any point in placing travel restrictions on fully vaccinated individuals. I realise that Austria won't necessarily follow what Germany does but I guess the EU wide policy will change to allow in UK residents pretty soon, many countries such as France were already doing so but it was basically German opposition that was stopping the change at EU level. I suspect the RKI list here in Germany will be updated later next week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, thanks was aware that Ms Merkel had changed her position but only the headlines, my view is that countries will wait to see what happens with our hospitalisations before they let us in, the graph shows it’s increasing but not inline with infections lets hope it stays that way
Edit: and the UK put EU countries on the full green list

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@radar, I couldn’t help wondering if that is what they are waiting for (not hospitalisation) but us putting them on the green list ie it is really driven by politics not “the science” <sigh>
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, In the German case there is an element of politics, there has been great concern over the delta variant and also letting so many fans in to watch the football in the UK & elsewhere. Here in Munich there were a lot of negative comments about even the limited number of fans who were let into the local stadium and how they were behaving. However the public health folk seem to have acknowledged that it no longer makes any sense to restrict people who have been fully vaccinated from travelling etc. Also worth bearing in mind that the UK's vaccination programme is still more successful than most other places, notably the US where there are rising cases and increasing issues with anti vaccine sentiment. Despite this US residents are allowed into both Germany and most of the EU. In Germany the same restrictions currently apply to Portugal as to the UK, I guess Austria will have followed the RKI on this they usually seem to. The concern now is more about groups of younger people, who are generally less vaccinated, holidaying in Mallorca or wherever and bringing back infections.

One point which might affect some travellers is whether the under 18s will be exempt from restrictions. There are arguments everywhere about at what age kids should be vaccinated and I suspect this is going to make family holidays hard. In Germany there is already discontent that the public health folk want to keep restrictions in all schools come the autumn whereas, from what I understand, the UK wants to remove all of them. For example, I understand that Switzerland is insisting that kids (not sure from what age) are fully vaccinated too which will run up against differing public health polices elsewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, how about the Dutch, any relaxation likely for double vaxxed adults? We are due to travel 20th August via Rotterdam, then on straight through Germany to Arlberg. Not holding out much hope currently, politics seems to have taken over from the science and common sense. Also I don’t want to be messing with tests and quarantines. Any thoughts? I’m getting increasingly dubious....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, No idea about Holland, our Dutch taxi driver hasnt been around much recently Very Happy .

I must say I was pretty dubious too until Angela Merkel's statement on how easy it would be for UK based folk to travel but that does seem to have changed things. I would assume that if the commission signs off on letting in the Brits, Holland & Belgium will do so. From what I can see the UK government has already announced (through the usual winks and nods) that travel for fully vaccinated people into the UK will be OK from late July / early August. It is already possible to France & Switzerland, you could always go to Switzerland before heading into the Vorarlberg.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FWIW, Austria now at 7.5/100,000 7 day average. At 17.8 for Wein.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cacciatore wrote:

Is that Rot or Weiss Wein? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just in, Germany is downgrading the UK (and elsewhere) to the high risk category meaning those with a full vaccination and a prearrival test are allowed in without restrictions https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile .

Quote:
Quarantine at home may be ended prematurely or does not have
to be started if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination or a negative test result is
submitted via the Federal Republic of Germany entry portal
https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de

Not sure if this will allow tourism for non EU citizens / residents as the UK is currently not on the EU approved list though that does not seem to have been an issue for France etc. Hopefully Austria will now agree too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, it is good news. Problem for families is the requirement for 12-18 year olds to still quarantine because they won’t have had access to uk vaccines yet. Hopefully Austria follows and we find a way around the teen vaccine issue.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Matrix, Yes I think teenagers are going to be an issue, probably including for the coming ski season. From what I can see different countries are taking different approaches depending on the prevailing thoughts amongst the local public health establishments. I suspect much frustration for families is likely.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Teen vaccines are a likely outcome of the current rush to unlock, but supply limits may mean that it is September or October before they can start to be administered via schools, as current vaccines typically are. That still provides vaccination well before the ski season, so hopefully that problem goes away, and we're just left with all of the others. And for those with under 12s, the question remains open.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-prioritising-low-risk-groups-a-moral-catastrophe-but-should-the-uk-vaccinate-children-12345004 - with France, Austria, Italy and Switzerland rolling out vaccines to the 12-18 group, why would they want to let in kids from other countries who are not vaccinated? I wonder whether this will become a travel requirement, and be available to arrange (for a price) through your GP just like HepC, Yellow Fever, etc are now?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ousekjarr, Austria doesn't like to discriminate against the unvaccinated (not too much, anyway...), so my *guess* is that once tourist travel from the UK is allowed, unvaccinated children will either be exempt from restrictions, or will be allowed in with a negative antigen test. Children below a certain age are exempt as standard anyway.

Edit: proof of a positive test (within a time bracket) may also suffice, as that currently fits the access criteria.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ousekjarr, From what I can see the issue will be less that of vaccine availability rather than different approaches. Some public health people ae saying the risk of covid verses the risk of side effects equation means teenagers shouldnt be vaccinated others disagree. I have no thoughts on who is right or wrong but can see how that might cause issues for family holidays. Fingers crossed we are not still having these discussions in 6 months time.
snow report
@Scarlet, I do hope you are right!
ski holidays
So being double vaccinated, will I still (when things get relaxed) still be expected to have had a negative test, or is the thought that a double vacc certificate going to be suffice?
snow conditions
@jafa, the problem currently is the “variant of concern” status the UK has. Once that is gone, then the standard rule for Austria is one jab plus 3 weeks. That generally exempts you from testing.
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

Is that Rot or Weiss Wein? Toofy Grin

Whoops Embarassed
latest report
I saw this article https://www.politico.eu/article/africa-europe-travel-digital-green-certificate-coronavirus-restrictions-vaccine-covishield-oxford-astrazeneca/ which might be useful info for some if / when Austria allows in folk who have been in the UK recently. The article is about how the Indian manufactured version of the AZ jab is currently not approved in the EU and how that affects individuals vaccinated with that particular jab travelling in the EU. The key bit here is

Quote:
The EMA does say that member countries are free to make their own decisions to accept travel certificates for vaccines that are not on its approved list. And under threat of reciprocal bans on entry to India for their nationals, 11 European countries have already signalled they will accept Covishield vaccinations as valid for travel. These include Austria, Belgium, Germany, Ireland, Slovenia, Greece, Estonia and Spain, as well as Schengen zone members Switzerland and Iceland. However, individuals will only be able to travel to these individual countries, not within the EU.

Basically if you have had the Indian made version, as some in the UK have, Austria will recognise it as valid.
latest report
@munich_irish, thanks - hopefully France and Luxembourg will be added to that list before I have to enter via the tunnel and then traverse my usual 4 countries to get to Austria. And then hope that the interminable roadworks and Waze/Google Maps routing don't mean a short detour into the Netherlands unless they get added as well.
latest report
@ousekjarr, from what I understand, I dont think the French care very much if you are just transiting. You might get stopped if you are driving a car with British plates but most likely spot is on Austrian border, most of the checks that were around a couple of months ago have disappeared.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, it's more a question of whether the French border control implemented at Folkestone are now checking vaccination status and pre-travel test results, rather than their previous approach of seeing a GB-plated car and then refusing to do anything more than wave you through. As UK passport control is 100m before the French one, anyone who makes it that far has already had a basic exit check done by UKBF, so maybe they still don't care. On the Calais side, there is no infrastructure for checking, and turning you back at that point would also be very annoying for Eurotunnel if they had the chance to check before travel and didn't do so.

Or maybe governments will follow the airline model, where the carrier is expected to check, and is fined if they deliver someone who is subsequently found to be unable to enter the country at their destination.
snow report
Still current at:
12 July 2021
Updated:
12 July 2021
Latest update:
The FCDO no longer advises against all but essential travel to Austria, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.

So, good for travel insurance
...we just need Austria to let us in now
ski holidays
@ousekjarr,
FWIW I recently (27/28 June) drove Dover-Calais-Chambery-Peteit St Bernard-Lake Garda and French immigration checked my vaccination status and pre-travel test result, asking me where I was going. I said Italy and, after stamping my passport, they sent me on my way.
I was quizzed by the Douane in Calais, but that was nothing compared to the 20-30 minutes I spent in the shed at Dover the following Sunday!
snow report
Closed to UK travellers for non-essential reasons:

Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic
Finland
Hungary
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Russia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Sweden

Source https://thepointsguy.co.uk/guide/european-country-entry-requirements/?utm_source=TPG%20UK%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2586834&utm_usr=be5897618e26f8859f21b48b682dcb6deae3f40074c5d8b1de6dbd20593b592c&utm_msg=2b8815dc3d074bae8c835438bd211ed8&utm_date=2021-07-14
latest report
With rising infections rates largely due to the Delta variant (341 new infections on Friday with 7-day incidence of 18,8 ), Austria has now cancelled the relaxation of some restrictions that were due to start in late July. Instead there is a new rule for night gastronomy from 22nd July – only proof of full immunisation or a negative PCR test less than 72 hours old will be accepted.
latest report
@Mankei, I think the nightclubs will end up closing again, except maybe in Vienna. PCR tests are not available in the rest of Austria, and no matter how much they want to be, most nightclub clientele will not be fully vaccinated (my own second dose is only due on the 22nd, and I’m a fair bit older than the average nightclub goer). Most will be waiting till the end of August for their second jab.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cancelled our upcoming 2 week Arlberg trip, too many rule changes, unknowns and hurdles. Frankly it’s not worth the hassle....
latest report
@Markymark29, Unfortunately I think you are probably right. The view from central Europe is increasingly that the UK is some sort of lunatic asylum (the events surrounding the football really didnt help), nobody can work out what is going on or what the plan is. The German government is facilitating travel between the two countries but the Austrian (and a number of others) understandably is not. In the absence of a consistent and sensible way forward in the UK I suspect this situation is going to continue for the foreseeable future Sad .
ski holidays
@Markymark29, we did the same Sad . Fingers crossed for December

Today’s infection rate 51,870, Hospitalisations 3,964

@munich_irish, it’s not only Central Europe that think that.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, The sad thing our country is being run by a lunatic without a plan. Booking nothing for winter.....Stuck in the U.K. Petri-dish for a long time yet I think. Our new health secretary now has Covid - crazies!
latest report
Yes Markymark29 - travel anywhere outside the UK continues to be unthinkable and absolutely unimaginable...

Credit to those who can be bothered with masks in airports and planes, covid tests etc - but it's not for me.

Plus, what happens re £££ paid if you test positive just before your trip? Been reading that insurers are now excluding covid from cover... rolling eyes

Starting to think that there really must now be some doubt creeping in re Alps trips next winter. It will just never end... Confused
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Starting to think that there really must now be some doubt creeping in re Alps trips next winter. It will just never end... Confused

I agree. Similarly to last year I am close to writing 21/22 off already - primarily for the sake of my own sanity.

FWIW its not the virus now. Its vaccilating politicians whom aren't brave enough to stand up and tell us how it needs to be.
snow report
Just had confirmation from the authorities that as we have second home residence, we can travel into Austria. Even though we have been double jabbed, the entry is the same as if we hadnt had anything. PCR test before arrival, pre entry form filled out, and isolation for ten days, cut to five with a negative pcr after five days.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but at least legal to travel if required.
snow conditions
@jafa, do you have residence status or is it just because you have a second home?
snow conditions
I have the Nebenwohnsitz (secondary residence) with the Kirchberg Gemeinde
latest report
@jafa, which authorities confirmed? What does secondary residence mean as opposed to ferienwohnung? Do you have a permit if some sort?
snow conditions
@jafa, do you have an anmeldebescheinigung, or is it just the fact you own an apartment?
ski holidays
Bezirkshauptmannschaft Kitzbühel

I was referred to them by the Landespolizeidirektion Tirol in Kirchberg.

I sent them a copy of my anmeldebescheinigung to show them I was registered

They`ve been really helpful. They asked me to contact them before we travel, which Im more than happy to do, as the more officialdom I have with me, the less likely Ill be hindered. IMHO.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy