Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
On the travel front, I've just returned from a long weekend in Slovenia. We drive from AT in my friends DE plated van, through Italy into Slovenia, and on the way back SLO > IT > AT > DE > AT. The only manned/controlled border was the final DE > AT border at Rosenheim; we were asked (DE plates) if we were visiting or transiting through AT, when we said we lived there and had been away for the weekend just waved on in.

We had paid €90 to get a PCR test in Innsbruck before travel as required, but no-one asked for it... At the Austrian border the policeman should have asked to see a negative test or remind us to get and present one within 24 hours of arrival back in AT but didn't... (of course we will get tested anyway).

BTW Slovenia seems super relaxed about corona. I have no idea what their rules are, but in shops/restaurants maybe 50% of the staff have the basic paper masks around either their chin or mouth (never properly covering nose and mouth), and guests seemed to wander about freely indoors or outdoors with or without masks based on personal preference. Only rule that was enforced was 10pm closing for bars and restaurants.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarky999, I saw an ad to encourage people to give blood at the Red Cross (they're a bit low, I think) – if you do so you get a free antibody test.

That said, I just got my appointment through for Thursday (woo hoo!) at the Messe, so yours shouldn't be far behind.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have made two trips Tyrol-Munich in the last week, both with no formalities/checks at the border. However, television news today showed long queues for processing Pre-Travel Clearance at other border posts. Up till now my PTC form hasn't been asked for (largely because no-one was on duty in the evenings).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only one more region (Voralberg) to get below the 50 mark.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just came back from a full week (9 days) skiing in Austria. 3 days in Kaprun, 4 in Hintertux and 2 in Stubai.
Went by train (with the new ÖBB NightJet that runs between Amsterdam and Innsbruck, as I live in Rotterdam), no one asked at the border for the Pre-Travel Clearance nor for a Covid test.
Once in Austria, though, most folks at restaurants do ask you to show evidence of compliance with the "3-G rule" (either show that you've tested negative in the past 48h, are vaccinated, or have recovered from covid in the past 6 months). I had a simple stamped certificate from my general practitioner saying I was tested positive on 31/3/21, and they all accepted that (still, I got tested regularly just to be sure).
Snow conditions were incredible for this time of the year, especially in the first few days (I've certainly seen worse conditions in March). After that it started to get a bit slushy, but still loads of fun.
Despite the high amount of groups doing training, it wasn't too busy overall (some days were actually quite empty).
Now it's getting warmer so no clue how the snow is gonna be the coming days/weeks. But in case any of you is considering going, I'd say keep an eye on the forecast, and if it's decent, by all means, go for it!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria finally reached sub 50 7 day index rates in all regions today.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
23.3 as of yesterday.

The region I’m in, Upper Austria is 20.7. Very (comparatively) few foreign and out of region plates around at the moment. My guess is that most folk will wait for July 1st news regarding easing of many restrictions before committing to holidaying.

The lakes are unseasonably cold (a late Spring). One the warmest tends to be Wolfgangsee which is currently 16 C. Normally, it’d be 20 or so by now and tends to get up to around 24 by mid Summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sadly I received a full refund from TUI last week for my trip planned on 26th June. Sad Sad Sad Roll on Next winter.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A friend is contemplating travelling to Austria soon - thinking of flying via Spain. Newcastle to Alicante, Alicante to Vienna.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cacciatore, Germany has announced that it is rescinding the advice against travel to many countries, including Austria, from 01.07. Normal service, as far as German tourists, should be resumed at that point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@munich_irish, I though that had already happened today? Media here reports no restrictions on travel to Germany, and only Austrian 3-G rules on return?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, I believe that although the RKI no longer classifies Austria and a number of other places as "risk" areas there is still Federal advice in place until 30.06 against non domestic tourism. In practice anyone who wants to go shopping in Salzburg can now do so.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, Ah ok, so it's a change in the advice rather than the actual controls. That makes more sense.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:
@Cacciatore, Germany has announced that it is rescinding the advice against travel to many countries, including Austria, from 01.07. Normal service, as far as German tourists, should be resumed at that point.

Thanks - useful info Smile

In the last 2 days we’ve begun to see a definite upswing in enquiries from Germans, for post 1st July, which may well bear out the change in advice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Information on the progress of the EU Covid Digital Green Pass due to start operating from 1st July. This comprises an app and paper equivalent that certifies vaccination, tests or recovery from Covid, and a mechanism to allow free movement of EU citizens with the appropriate certification.
latest report
No chance UK on the ok list.
snow conditions
@Matrix, not sure that's true, a number of countries have already announced that UK residents / passport holders will be welcome (mainly if fully vaccinated). Switzerland has announced (yesterday I think) that UK residents will be allowed to come without restrictions. I would guess France & Germany will be not too far behind, as I understand it there is a EU wide decision to accept fully vaccinated people from 01.07 but maybe I am wrong about that. Given that the border checks will be disappearing over the next weeks it would not make much sense if UK folk can travel to say Switzerland or Italy but not to Austria. I would say the biggest issue at the moment is the UK putting countries on the "Green" list.

As I understand it those who have been vaccinated in the UK will be able to use the Green Pass linked to above though I guess you would have to be a EU citizen or resident.
snow report
15.5 in Austria, as of today Very Happy
snow report
@munich_irish, probably some non med countries will allow uk travellers and maybe the Shengen travel will struggle to keep us out when we can fly into Italy etc. However I think European travel using the green pass will continue to be restricted for UK travellers for a while longer. How would our NHS records be transferred to the green pass app? I think that would take more time to resolve and Boris I doubt has any interest in solving this either.
ski holidays
I also see UK was not added to the EU safe list again. US was though.
ski holidays
@Matrix, a couple of quotes from the site linked above

Quote:
As the Member States reopen the borders for travel from non-EU countries for non-essential purposes, they also intend to issue EU COVID travel certificates to travellers from third countries intending to enter their territory.

The Commission also intends to accept certificates issued in third countries, which are issued under the same conditions as the ones by the EU.

Quote:
The Member States are advised to issue the vaccination certificates to their citizens, even if the latter have been vaccinated in another country, including in third countries.

In order for the traveller to be able to get the vaccine, he/she should be vaccinated with one of the EU-approved vaccines. The Member States, can, however, issue the certificate even to those who have been vaccinated with other vaccines if they are willing to do so.

How this is going to be implemented is unclear and it is very likely (certain!) that different countries will take different approaches. I cant see any reason why it should be a problem here in Germany, the process is that you go to a Pharmacy with evidence of both vaccinations (rather quaintly in a little yellow book) and they create your digital "Green Pass" on your phone, no reason why they should not take any valid evidence including UK certs. The vaccines used in the UK are all approved for use in the EU unlike the Russian & Chinese ones. The process might well be more difficult elsewhere
ski holidays
@Matrix, there is no need to transfer records - the NHS app provides a QR code (2D barcode), which contains a digital security certificate. That certificate is signed by the NHS to prove that it is a certified record, so all any other country needs to be able to accept those QR codes is a copy of the public certificate for the NHS, and enough support in their software to verify the certificate correctly. In essence this is what the EU are already doing with their own certificates, so it should be quick and simple for all of the EU member states to put this in place.

As the NHS only issue a certificate if they have a record of you being vaccinated, there is no realistic prospect of forgery, and also no data disclosed at all apart from whatever the NHS has chosen to include in the certificate - name, date of birth and NHS number are the likely fields so that you can't present someone else's certificate.
snow report
Has anyone who's had their jabs managed to sort out a “Green Pass” on their phone in Austria? Has it even launched yet? I've not really seen any proper detail on how to go about it.
snow conditions
ousekjarr wrote:
@Matrix, so it should be quick and simple for all of the EU member states to put this in place.

I think you are being very optimistic, maybe the UK QR code is readable by other applications but I somehow doubt it (hope to be proved wrong). There is a struggle in some EU countries to implement this by 1st July let alone deal with non country issued certificates.
snow report
@ousekjarr, I think in theory it’s not difficult but since UK is a third country and it hasn’t been fully implemented in Europe yet (plus we are a high covid rate country) it will take longer.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Has anyone who's had their jabs managed to sort out a “Green Pass” on their phone in Austria? Has it even launched yet? I've not really seen any proper detail on how to go about it.

Couldn't find it in English as not everything is translated from German to English on many of the info sites but here's a link in German.

https://www.gesundheit.gv.at/service/gruener-pass/inhalt

Looks like by the end of the month you will be able to login and print out something with your details and a scancode on it. The code will confirm if you have be tested / vaccinated.
Know someone who lives here in Vienna but was vaccinated in her home country (Serbia). After the second vaccine she was able to download a pdf with a scancode on it (from a Serbian system) which she has sucessfully used here in Austria. The UK is now on a similar footting with the EU as Serbia so there's hope it could work for visiting Brits too.
ski holidays
Sounds like first step is to allow vaccines for Austrians where the vaccine has been received from outside of EU to be added to the Green Pass.

Next step is for non Austrian and non Europeans to be able to prove vaccination on the Green pass or something that communicates in the same format.

There is also the IATA pass that BA is testing...
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Couldn't find it in English as not everything is translated from German to English on many of the info sites but here's a link in German.

https://www.gesundheit.gv.at/service/gruener-pass/inhalt

Looks like by the end of the month you will be able to login and print out something with your details and a scancode on it. The code will confirm if you have be tested / vaccinated.

Thanks. I’m not bothered what language it’s in, just that it’s explained Very Happy

Looks like I’m going to need a “handy signature” to log in though, which means a trip to some office where they can activate it Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, You can do it online through FinanzOnline https://finanzonline.bmf.gv.at/fon/
If you're not registered with FinanzOnline click on Erstanmeldung, fill it all in and they'll send you a code to activate your online access. During the registration process it asks you if you need a Handy Signatur activation code too. They'll send that at the same time.
We did it a couple of weeks ago for my bf, the codes arrived in the post the next day. I already had a FinanzOnline login, so just requested the Handy Signatur code. It took a week for mine to arrive.
Once the Handy Signatur was sorted, we were then able to log on to the ELGA site and download a PDF showing our 3Gs status.
Hope that helps Smile
ski holidays
Brits are still not allowed into Holland ... Your be sent Home if you try to for non -essential reasons.

https://nltimes.nl/2021/06/17/number-british-people-blocked-dutch-border-doubled-may
snow report
7 day index is super low (13.5), most regions have single figures.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
7 day index is super low (13.5), most regions have single figures.

Just Vien at 28.3 keeping the overall figure higher.
snow conditions
This one liner was posted on Snow Camps Europe Facebook page, is this official??

Austria’s ban on British arrivals extended until September.
latest report
@kitenski, Haven't found a decent source to confirm it as yet. Austrian corona laws tend to only apply for 3 or 4 weeks and then they have to be extended, so my suspicion is that it is rubbish simply because it is too early to put in place a ban that far out.
snow conditions
Found this link, but no idea of its credibility

https://www.thelocal.at/20210628/austrias-ban-on-british-arrivals-extended-until-september/?fbclid=IwAR2Bj8GyptaZ20Lj9G_SbaS44pfyKqXGcQ_KCgkhl3gl8qHDB5eCXVf7kLc
ski holidays
@kitenski, it's basically The Sun, so not too high on the credibility scale...

Can't see any reference on ORF, which is the national broadcaster.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 29-06-21 15:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Scarlet, ha ha cheers!!
snow report
The UK rules currently are still that you will have to provide a negative PCR test and go into quarantine for 10 days on arrival. Also applies to business travellers. I don't see any mention of how long this is going to apply.

Quote:
Die Einreise aus Virusvariantenstaaten (Anlage B2: derzeit Brasilien, Indien, Südafrika und das Vereinigte Königreich) ist derzeit nur sehr eingeschränkt möglich. Bei der Einreise wird ein negativer PCR-Test benötigt, zudem ist eine verpflichtende zehntägige Quarantäne vorgeschrieben – auch für Geschäftsreisende ist das nötig.
snow report
There was an update to teh entry requirements on 1 July, UK citizens are still band from entering Austria :
"With the amendment to the entry regulations of the Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection coming into force on 1 July 2021, entry from the United Kingdom is still prohibited!"

more info at https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/

Not sure when the next review is by the Austrian government

The UK daily cases are around 24k up by about 6k over the last 7 days.

No looking good for my July trip Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@radar, I think the reviews are about every 3 weeks, but if that graph doesn’t start going the other way soon, and I don’t think it will based on what I’m seeing in the UK, nothing much is going to change Confused Case numbers in Austria are tiny and most rules have gone (no more distancing, no more FFP2 masks, mask wearing only in shops, public transport, hospitals etc where you don’t need some kind of certificate to get in, nightclubs open), so I don’t think they’ll want to be importing a load more Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy