Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Matrix, the German 7 day rate was 83.1 this morning and appears to be dropping quickly https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4 . If things continue as they have been then a rate of around 50 is not too far away. You can see current situation with regard to Germany & UK above, I would imagine Austria will take a very similar approach, not least because of concerns for the tourist industry. As I understand it a big concern in the UK is over vaccine rates and also detection of variants, Germany certainly scores highly on both and Austria is not far behind. I suspect the UK will be far more concerned about Spain etc which attract a rather different sort of tourist.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austria’s 7 day index is at 65.5.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austria’s 7 day index is at 54.8.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going the right way, all we need now is for Austria to come off the Amber list and for Austria, Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands to let us in or transit and we are good to go.

Not forgetting the testing requirements Very Happy

PS we will be driving
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very pleased to see over 100k jabs yesterday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some not good news, the RKI has put the UK back into the highest risk group https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/corona-aktuell-grossbritannien-virus-1.5295818 , I would presume most of the rest of the EU (almost certainly Austria) will follow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, We’re booked to travel by car to Austria end August, I think it’s a moving target currently, hopefully things will settle down by July but I anticipate a few twists and turns before then. We’d be travelling out and back via 5 countries so it’s not easy especially given that we can only travel to green zone countries, I’m not able to quarantine on return due to work commitments, so wouldn’t be able to go....also if it’s amber it’s not an essential reason so we’d have to cancel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark29, I would hope this is a very temporary thing but who knows. As I understand it there have been various hints that the UK green list will be expanded in the near future, in most European countries the virus numbers are rapidly dropping and the vaccine number rapidly increasing (Germany is now at 40%, Austria not far behind that). Some countries eg Spain are very keen for the Brits to come saying no tests needed, Germany is being pretty cautious although it is only a few weeks since they had no restrictions on the UK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Media reports this morning that Austria have banned direct flights from the UK.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the 1st June. My S in L flight on the 6th July with EJ was cancelled over the WE. I see they are no longer offering flights from Gatwick to Inns until August now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rob@rar, The ban on UK citizens entering Austria is still in place, there was a review today (25 May) and nothing has changed, we still aren't allowed in.

Full details at https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jafa, combination of the extension of entry ban on UK citizens and that as Austria are on the Amber list we mustn't go so sayeth BoJo
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BBC just announced a 3 week extension on UK flight ban too.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 25-05-21 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With the Indian Variant out of Control in the UK .. the EU will have to act very fast now and close down all UK travel to prevent UK residents asymptomatic speeding the variant all over the Continent.

https://archive.ph/8wzd9

Austria following Germany expect more countries to follow this week,

UPDATE 1-Austria bans tourist visits from Britain over India-originated COVID-19 variant

VIENNA, May 25 (Reuters) - Austria is banning direct flights
and tourist visits from Britain because of the prevalence there
of a highly infections coronavirus variant first found in India,
the health ministry said on Tuesday.

Britain was added overnight to Austria's list of "virus
variant states", joining Brazil, India and South Africa, from
which arrivals are only allowed in a limited number of cases,
the ministry said in a statement.

"Essentially, only Austrian citizens and people who are
resident or habitually stay in Austria may enter the country,"
it said, adding that entry would also be allowed on humanitarian
grounds or for visits in the national interest.

While the immigration rules take effect on Tuesday, the ban
on direct flights will go into force on June 1, it added. The
statement referred specifically to the World Health Organization
and Public Health England having classified the B.1.617.2
variant first found in India as a "variant of concern".

Coronavirus infections in Britain have been rising but the
overall incidence is still low, and the number of people in
hospital with COVID-19 fell last week to its lowest since
September. Clusters of the B.1.617.2 variant are, however,
growing quickly.

Austria's move follows a similar step by Germany, which said
on Friday it was declaring Britain a virus variant region.
Austria has had a small number of cases of the Indian variant
and overall infections have been falling.
ski holidays
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
BBC just announced a 3 week ban on UK flights starting tomorrow, Wednesday.

The embassy website says 1st Junr
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, I edited my comment as it is an extension apparently. Who knows, very confused now but not planning on any travel in Europe until September anyway.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-05-21 10:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Gosh that's nearly a sensible post from stanton Shocked
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@holidayloverxx, I edited my comment as it is an extension apparently. Who knows, very confused now but not planning on any travel in Europe until September anyway.

the extension is on Brits being allowed in. The flight ban is new...well reintroduced as there was one previously.

I'm hopeful for August but no plans
snow report
@holidayloverxx, think that's sensible, we are hoping for late July but like you nothing booked.

Your right on the flight ban, haven't been paying too much attention to flights as the plan is to drive
latest report
@radar, steady!

Firstly, it's not out of control. The UK still has one of the lowest infection rates in Europe. As flights from India continued to some European countries after the UK stopped them the Indian variant will be in Europe, if only they did enough genome testing to discover them. However as the UK has a large number of folks of Indian heritage we may well have a head start in numbers

Funny how the Brazilian variant is prevalent in France and no EU country has imposed a ban.
snow conditions

snow report
@chocksaway, the point about genomic testing might have been true last summer but not so much now. Here in Bavaria there are tables published daily for each district with a breakdown of any variants detected see here, I would imagine other countries are similar. You are correct about the UK numbers being just about the best in Europe but there is a lingering perception that things are not under control in the UK, however unfair that maybe, the whole Boris / Brexit thing doesnt help either. Until very recently anyone travelling from France to Germany had to quarantine unless they had had both vaccinations 14 days prior to arrival although the risk has now been lowered so that a negative test is sufficient. The quarantine thing still applies to Holland, Sweden and some other EU states.

I would hope that the "Indian" thing will fade away in the near future so the UK can be removed from the risk list again.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Looks like the position on full genome testing is still pretty much in our favour

https://www.devex.com/news/exclusive-quarter-of-world-s-countries-haven-t-tracked-covid-19-mutations-99335

But I think it was @tbar that explained there are tests that are effectively 'short cuts' once the variants have been fully screened so that variants can be tracked. Understanding that is beyond my 40 year old Biology A level.

As you allude to, I think there is a political element, stoked on here by one or two hysterical posters(!). Ultimately the UKs hospital admissions and deaths are on a downward trend still. Cases are rising, but slowly. As ever caution is fine, as long as it's balanced by science not emotion.
snow report
Personal question, I intend to arrive next week to Mayrhofen and ski for 3 mornings in Hintertux. I am trying to find a local lab to undergo the PCR test needed for the return flight but no such luck.
The link from https://www.mayrhofen.at/service/sicherer-urlaub/ is geoblocked.
Anyone here has more info perhaps?
ski holidays
@drporat, maybe contact the tourist office in Mayrhofen and ask them? I assume the site you were trying to access is the tiroltestet.at registration site? On there you can register for an antigen test, but not PCR unless you meet certain criteria – it’s for certain hotspot areas generally, so I don’t think you’ll qualify. Anyone can get the antigen tests fairly easily, but I’m guessing those are not acceptable for your usage.
snow report
@Scarlet, exactly. Many thanks - will do that tomorrow. The Sports Clinic in Mayrhofen were quite vague.
It has to be a PCR in English, in the worst case I will drive to Innsbruck for that (plus some shopping in Vols and at DEZ) NehNeh
snow conditions
@drporat, there are a few walk-up antigen testing sites around the city, including at Dez I believe, if you need one to get in somewhere for lunch for example. Those are free. If I needed a pcr test myself, I’m not sure where I’d start tbh – you could also ask the airport if there’s nothing in their website.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
@drporat, there are a few walk-up antigen testing sites around the city, including at Dez I believe, if you need one to get in somewhere for lunch for example. Those are free. If I needed a pcr test myself, I’m not sure where I’d start tbh – you could also ask the airport if there’s nothing in their website.

Do you know if tourists (without an Austrian health card) can use these?
ski holidays
DB wrote:

I believe so, yes, for some of them anyway. Even at my doctor's where I get my tests done, they don't require the e-card and just write your name on the result sheet. Tourists are expected to have a test for a restaurant just like anyone else, so it doesn't make sense to bar them from the testing sites. The ones in shopping centres/market places etc. “ohne Anmeldung” would be your best bet.
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Scarlet wrote:

I believe so - the test place in Kaufhaus Tirol has the SVA number box marked as optional, anyway.

We were in Saalbach over the weekend and had to test a few times. Once in the shopping centre above before travel (result good for 48 hours), one self-test with kits provided by the hotel via Land Salzburg's portal (good for 24 hours), and one self-test with kits my gf's Mum had brought from Oberösterreich ((also 24 hours).

All worked smoothly and easily, had to show the results when checking in at the hotel and when entering a hut's terrace one day, but interestingly not at the same hut the following day. Lifts never asked, just like in winter.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Lifts never asked, just like in winter.

I don't think you need a test to ride the lift though, unless there's something I've missed. Or is that what you meant?
snow conditions
Seriously.

Why are people trying to travel across the continent to Austria..

Anyone could be carrying Asymptomatically the Indian Variant even if Vaccinated .

Holidays are not essential ...

Wait a fee months more until Europe has atleast 70% FULLY Vaccinated
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Lifts never asked, just like in winter.

I don't think you need a test to ride the lift though, unless there's something I've missed. Or is that what you meant?

Ah true, it was only for using the pistes, right? Laughing
snow conditions
@clarky999, yep, and only with skis or snowboards, and only in Tirol (I believe Saalbach is over the border). I'm sure it must've prevented at least one infection... Laughing
ski holidays
@drporat, Anyone can use the test centres for Antigen tests, we had no social insurance for a number of weeks waiting for HMRC to process some data. The local chemist would have charged €25 but tests at most doctors and the test centres are free.
Possibly the biggest problem is the results are in German and UK require English, let us know what you finally do it may help me when hopefully I can travel to UK next month to clear my house out for rental.
snow conditions
@Chris_n, so far I couldn't find a solution. For my flight back it needs to be a PCR test, not an antigen one, and the results have to be in English.
I addressed Mayrhofen's tourist office which referred me to the Sports Clinic that I approached a day earlier. They didn't answer the phone in their working hours and by mail they said they have antigen tests by online booking through a link which is geoblocked from outside of Europe.
I can theoretically have a PCR test before my flight back in Munich at the airport, but on their website it's posted that it usually takes 3 to 6 hrs in order to get the results. I have no intention in leaving Hintertux a day earlier.
Now I am trying to find a PCR test in Innsbruck Shocked
snow report
stanton wrote:
Seriously.
Why are people trying to travel across the continent to Austria..
Anyone could be carrying Asymptomatically the Indian Variant even if Vaccinated .
Holidays are not essential ...
Wait a fee months more until Europe has atleast 70% FULLY Vaccinated

True but here almost all the adults had their 2 shots of Pfizer and the daily number of new cases is so low that they are abolishing most restrictions in the next days.
From what I read, nobody in Tirol is having parties and everybody wears a FFP2, no less. I have a higher risk of dislocating a joint then to bring home some exotic variant
snow conditions
@stanton, if you had read the thread you would know that the person is coming from outside of Europe from a place where over 70% of adults have been fully vaccinated.
ski holidays
Now the problem is the uk again it seems. No flights to Austria again
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy