Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, thanks for the additional articles , will add politico to my Covid bookmarks. it is going to be challenging to get all of the EU aligned, hoping they sort something out so we can drive out this summer under a single set of rules
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar, +1
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reading this morning that the NHS/Serco app will be used for uk Covid passports. So at least for the uk we won’t be joining the EU covid green passport. Greece, Spain, Portugal likely to be early in acceptance but no news on other countries (infact EU says UK haven’t engaged yet on this despite comments from uk). Hopefully it won’t be long until Austria allows uk but I am doubtful that Uk accepts Austria as green anytime soon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Correction. I misread. I will be the NHS app used to book appointments not the Covid app.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No word from the Scottish omnishambles on what they plan to implement yet, they will want to go their own way of course just for the sake of being different.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Received an email yesterday saying that the vaccination appointments in my area (Lower Austria) could be booked from next week onwards.
The online appointment booking (for both vaccine shots) is staggered - over 50's from Monday, over 40's from Wednesday, over 30's from friday and over 16's from the following Monday (10 May).
Trust they are ready to take appointment bookings because they have enough vaccines or maybe this is just a carrot on a string and a scramble for what they have.
It's worded very carefully to say they have enough appointments but don't say if they have enough vaccines.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, You can have an appointment from Monday next week (or whichever day), or the website will let you register from your particular day? It's a little confusing. Here, we are encouraged to register any time on the portal (I did it ages ago, when it was launched), and then they email/text an appointment when it's your turn in the queue. The fact that the new mass vacc centres are only opening for 2x 1 week periods (from next week, I think) sounds like there's a big delivery coming and they're going to blitz through everyone who is left. Here's hoping, anyway.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet,
Like you I already registered a while ago to for the vaccine and was waiting to be called up. More recently I signed up to the „come and get jabbed right now because someone didn‘t turn up“ list.

Suspect as some people are not turning up ( e.g. scared of jab side effects or appointment conflicts) they are letting everyone pick their jab appointments, giving priority based on age.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kundl (Tirol ) vaccination centre opened today with reports of large queues according to Tiroler Tagezeitung. I think a lot more people are coming round to the idea that vaccination is the only way out of this situation. My landlord met some of his friends (all in 70s) and he was the only one not vaccinated. He is now saying he thinks he will have to be vaccinated before he can go out and play his music for tourists.

Registered about a month ago and received an email Tuesday with 2 appointments 6 weeks apart for Pfizer. They were most insistent that you are committing to both appointments with instruction to reject if you couldn't make both dates.
Off to get ours tomorrow afternoon Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is there any chat in Austria about the uk being on the relaxed list from the 19th? I see a few European countries and some of the low covid rate 3rd countries. Nothing I could see about the Uk. Just wondered if the Austrian press have speculated that the Uk would be added.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Matrix,

A news article reported that the 3rd phase of the green pass would come into effect in Austria during July 2021. It's thought that this would cover countires within the European union plus Switzerland. An Austria minister (Karoline Edtstadler - ÖVP) has said the green pass system should be extended to the west balkan countries too. Unfortunately I've not seen any mention of the UK & the green pass in Europe yet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, @Matrix, I also haven't heard anything, though I haven't been paying particularly close attention either.

Has anything been said in the UK, about AT-UK travel?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
@Scarlet,
Like you I already registered a while ago to for the vaccine and was waiting to be called up. More recently I signed up to the „come and get jabbed right now because someone didn‘t turn up“ list.

Suspect as some people are not turning up ( e.g. scared of jab side effects or appointment conflicts) they are letting everyone pick their jab appointments, giving priority based on age.

Just to follow up on this ....

I logged in on Monday 3 May at 10am when the system for the Lower Austria region opened but there were around 40,000 people ahead of me in the queue. After approx 20 mins I logged in and was sent an email that gave me access to the vaccine booking system.

After entering my details and postcode I was given a list of doctors & health centres where I could be vaccinated. These were sorted based on the distance from my postcode, nearest first.
The type of vaccine was not shown. By clicking on the date of the first vaccine the second vaccine date could be seen. The time gap between the vaccines probably indicates which vaccine it is.
As far as I know (feel free to correct me if you are any the wiser). 3 weeks = Moderna, 5-6 weeks = Pfizer and around 3 months = Astrazeneca.

It was a scramble to get a 3 week vaccine and I felt chuffed with myself that I'd secured an early June appointment. Only afterwards did I realise why that particular date had so many free appointments - I'd just booked my appointment on a public holiday. Embarassed

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 6-05-21 9:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, interesting that AZ has the longest wait. It's the other way round here. I registered with a doctors practice here in Gauting on Tuesday, stating that I was happy to get AZ. In the afternoon they gave me an appointment for the next day. So I got my first AZ shot yesterday afternoon! I have heard the same story from many of my acquaintances here in the Starnberg area.
I was registered on the official Bavarian site about two months ago. Never heard anything from them. Completely useless!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Steilhang,
Just to clarify AZ doesn't have the longest wait but AFAIK the longest time between shots. Many appointments with 3 months to the second shot were available in May but I wanted to get the second shot as soon as possible.
When will you have your second AZ shot?
A few people have told me that Moderna is 3 weeks between vaccines but after a quick google search I'm not so sure. Looks more like 28 days so maybe I will receive Pfizer.
ski holidays
@DB, At least you managed to get one! I think the system here is the other way around – you register and then they send out the appointments when your name comes up in the priority list, so I don't think there's a last minute scramble in the same way. The registration logs your preferred centre, including GP surgeries, but it's anyone's guess where the vaccines will go. It would be better if there was also an “Anywhere within 50km” button, as I'm not particularly wedded to the location, I'll go wherever I need to.
snow report
@clarky999,
Quote:

Has anything been said in the UK, about AT-UK travel?

Not specifically AT but looks like European mainland travel should be OK for summer, probs opening up end June (others will likely know more accurately I’ve lost track tbph but that was the last i heard amongst all Boris’s drivel) I guess they are working out all the quarantine rules for when folks arrive back at the moment. UK seems good at the moment and me and D all vaccinated up second doses in next 2 weeks or so, keen to get travelling again in the car in August......NL/ FR/ BEL/ D permitting. Feels like a long way off.....will bring you some Yorkshire Tea!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 6-05-21 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@DB, Ok, misunderstood that. Second shot is July 28th, so nearly 3 months.
snow conditions
Heard on the news this morning that in Germany people with their first vaccination will be allowed to get back to normal, looks like a great idea. Will speed up pace of roll-out no doubt, queues around the block so they can get off to holidays in Majorca!

That’d never work in UK, too many politicians worrying about their young potential voters in the next election getting the hump - it’d encourage lots of FOMO millennials to take the vaccination though soon enough.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, At least you managed to get one! I think the system here is the other way around – you register and then they send out the appointments when your name comes up in the priority list, so I don't think there's a last minute scramble in the same way. The registration logs your preferred centre, including GP surgeries, but it's anyone's guess where the vaccines will go. It would be better if there was also an “Anywhere within 50km” button, as I'm not particularly wedded to the location, I'll go wherever I need to.

If you put your postcode in you can quickly see which locations are within 50 km and how many appointments they have open but not the dates. Trouble for me was by the time I'd clicked through a few locations and decided where & when, the appointments I wanted had gone.

I'm unsure why only Lower Austria are doing it this way. Much prefer it though than just being allocated specific dates that may or may not be suitable. Expect a higher percentage of the people will turn up for the appointments with such a system too.

The only appointments I could find in May were 3 months between shots (probably AZ but not named/identified in the booking process). Suspect it was done this way to push AZ after the negative press AZ has received.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, that's not quite correct. It is being debated in the German Parliament today. What is being proposed is that those who are fully vaccinated (that effectively means 2 shots as I dont think any single shot vaccines are currently being used) and also those who have been confirmed as "recovered" (ie three weeks after positive test and up to six months later) will be exempt from having to produce a recent negative test when going shopping and going to beer gardens when they reopen, many fewer restrictions about meeting people etc. See here for details. Longer term it is also likely to be used for travel etc. It is causing a certain amount of fuss, though given not so many people have had their first shot let alone their second (though the number of available vaccines is rapidly increasing) this isnt going to affect that many for a few weeks yet. Also Germany hasnt really been following the strict age thing that the UK has. Yes the over 70s and those living in care homes have been prioritised (and mostly done) but after that it has been pretty much a free for all with all sorts of groups such as anyone working in a school or the large number of people working in one of the voluntary services (fire brigade, water rescue etc) or those with somewhat vaguely defined "medical conditions" getting jabs and many others stuck waiting. There is a big element of a postcode lottery.
snow report
@munich_irish, It's a similar story in Austria, with the difference being that they have decided to recognise “vaccinated” at 1 dose + 3 weeks. This avoids extra problems with people who received AZ having to wait longer to regain their rights, which are supposed to be identical for vaccinated, recovered or tested (within 24/48/72hr depending on test type). This may, however, cause some issues at the German border if the recognition is different Confused Priority list for the cynical seems to be elderly > mayors > medically vulnerable > people in certain jobs (as in DE) > people who work in companies that have organised an on-site vacc centre > > > everyone else...
ski holidays
@munich_irish, just shows the confusion, that’s what the BBC were reporting here earlier today, mind you that’s likely just the UK government seeking to spin via the media. I don’t trust anything the news channels say until it comes onto the government website.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, I might not have been quite keeping up with the technicalities. In the Süddeutsche it says "Für vollständig Geimpfte und viele frühere Covid-19-Patienten entfallen dann Test- und Quarantänepflichten - und sie dürfen sich wieder mit mehr Menschen treffen als bisher" which I take to mean after both jabs but I can see the issues with that and the Austrian approach makes sense but it does seem to be a broadly similar approach. As @Steilhang, mentioned earlier if you are happy with AZ then it can be a lot quicker to get though it is not available everywhere eg Landkreiss München!
latest report
When are you considered to be fully vaccinated, 2 weeks after your final shot?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/second-shot.html#:~:text=When%20you%20are%20fully%20vaccinated,Johnson%27s%20Janssen%20COVID%2D19%20Vaccine
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Seems to be big differences between the various Landkreise here. München is doing badly, as is Ebersberg, but for some reason Starnberg is overflowing. A lot of my acquaintances have been jabbed over the past few days and my wife has been offered Pfizer/Biontech tomorrow. She registered at the same Doctor's practice at the same time as me, i.e two days ago. Not sure what the reason for Starnberg doing so much better is (other than that all the most important people live here).
ski holidays
This was in today’s Times:

Germany plans to allow the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab for adults of all ages, reversing a decision that restricted it to people over 60. Jens Spahn, the country's health minister, announced the change as a result of large quantities of the vaccine being left over because eligible people refused it.
latest report
@radar, not quite correct. The situation has been that AZ was recommended to the over 60s but was available to anyone in consultation with their doctor, basically if you said you were happy to get AZ in many places you could get jabbed the next day (see @Steilhang, above). All the announcement is doing is confirming what is actually happening on the ground. The pace of vaccination has increased significantly in recent days (around a million doses a day being administered) but because of the very decentralised system in Germany the situation varies enormously from place to place. @Steilhang lives in the next door district to me, clearly there it is possible to get a jab (especially AZ) but here there is not the same amount of vaccine available frustrating doctors and patients alike.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria now on the "Amber" list.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

Amber list of countries and territories

Afghanistan
Akrotiri and Dhekelia
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Armenia
Aruba
Australia Will move from amber to green list 4am, Monday 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
Austria.........

In the mean time winter has returned here.
ski holidays
30 deg C measured at Salzburg Airport Today. 7 day Austrian index has been falling nicely and is just above 100, some regions are almost down to 50.
snow conditions
@DB, pretty warm here too, though not 30 degrees. Due to be a high of 11 degrees and wet on Wednesday......
snow report
DB wrote:
30 deg C measured at Salzburg Airport Today. 7 day Austrian index has been falling nicely and is just above 100, some regions are almost down to 50.

Roll on 2021/22 season

Looks like under 50 is one of the criterias.
latest report
Our garden thermometer hit 35 yesterday Shocked and looks like it’s heading to 30 today!

Tomorrow looks a tad different!
latest report
https://www.bergfex.com/kitzbuehel-kirchberg/wetter/prognose/#day0 snow snow and more snow from tomorrow onwards
ski holidays
Just had a snow alert for Saalbach !
latest report
@radar, it’s been as hot as mid-summer for the last few days, but changing tonight and snow forecast for the next three days and also three days next week.
latest report
@tatmanstours, ski touring Toofy Grin

Just read that the border between Salzburgland and Bavaria is going to open to limited traffic from 19 May, small sign off hope!
snow conditions
@radar, have not seen that. Any idea what 'limited' means?
snow report
@Steilhang, this the article, https://www.sn.at/salzburg/chronik/bayern-und-oesterreich-oeffnen-mittwoch-kleinen-grenzverkehr-103647934
snow conditions
@radar, ok. Still somewhat unclear as to what the conditions will be. Söder & Kurz seem to have different views. Anyway, was thinking it would be nice to pop across to Hintertux for a weekend to check whether I can still ski, but am not yet fully 'geimpfed', so I guess I still have to wait
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy