Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Cacciatore, good to hear. Smile Which vaccine were you given?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pfizer, Alastair.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Cacciatore, How did you go about that? On the system you have to register on here, you can choose to be vaccinated at one of the local centres (hospital, messe, GP etc.), but there's no box for “I don't care, wherever is fastest” so I recently ended up changing my entry from GP to mass vacc centre, as while the former is more convenient, there were reports of the local deliveries being slower. It's a total guess as to whether I'm backing the right horse there Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet,

Some areas have an emergency waiting list where you can register. They have surplus vaccines that would otherwise go to waste and give you a ring at short notice (you have to be there within 30 mins)
https://www.impfung.at/warteliste/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DB, Lower Austria only. I haven't seen anything like that for Tirol.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, probably a bit of luck. Both my wife and I have the same doctor and both needed to visit a week ago...we mentioned that we’d be happy to come in at a moments notice were any spare vaccine slots to become available. Yesterday, that’s what happened....we had about 20 mins to get there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cacciatore, Same with my colleague at work who is in this 30's, got himself on a local waiting list and they rang him and went at short notice and had it late on Sunday. We laughed and said it was some out of date Sputnik they found in a skip out the back....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, I should have it next week as they are now doing the over 60s! There are some younger people (50s) in the village who have had theirs. GPs now have their own (limited) supplies and each practice will make its own decisions about who gets done. The amount of vaccines available does seem to be increasing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
AFAIK, people in my age category/risk group have not been offered a jab anywhere in the world as yet, unless they qualify for :

2 Sets of figures for Wales
General population who are not Front line NHS, vulnerable or carers:-
40-49 are 47% done
30-39 are 9% done
18-29 are 3.5% done.

Figures including all Carers, Vulnerable & NHS Front Line :-
40-49 are 63% done
30-39 are 29.5% done
18-29 are 19% done

I have colleagues of all ages in the Cardiff area are getting same day & next day appointments! Which IMO is a bad thing as it is showing how low the uptake is.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mr.Egg, nobody lives older than 49 in Wales then?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Mr.Egg, nobody lives older than 49 in Wales then?

50s age group are a totlal of 85% 60+ well into the high 90%s
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Cacciatore, Same with my colleague at work who is in this 30's, got himself on a local waiting list and they rang him and went at short notice and had it late on Sunday. We laughed and said it was some out of date Sputnik they found in a skip out the back....

Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is time to abandon an aged based system. Once the most vulnerable have had their chance (and in the UK they have), then the most efficient way to maintain speed of vaccinations is to open it up to all. Every person immunised, regardless of status, is one less host for the virus. Simples.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The opening up of Austria is planned to start on the 19 May 2021.

https://www.thelocal.at/20210423/breaking-austria-to-relax-most-coronavirus-measures-on-may-19th/
Madeye-Smiley
https://orf.at/stories/3210330/

Children go back to school (fulltime) on 17 May.

Gastromy will open up with registration & masks (FFP2), max 4 people (plus children) to a table inside. Max 10 people to a table outside.
As far as I understand it FFP2 masks for staff or non-FFP2 masks if they are tested.

The "green pass" is planned for the end of may.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As I understand it, from 1st July, everything will return to normal in Austria...or whatever ‘normal’ will comprise. I think what that means, or will include, is that any countries not on the ‘red list’ will be able to come to Austria without quarantine. I suspect criteria will include jabs, tests or recovered.
snow report
Friend in his late 60s says Portugal has now started the 62-70 age group (vulnerable and key workers already done). I’m 52 so a while yet it seems.
ski holidays
Looks like I will need to push my plans back by a week. My gamble on the 26th June looks to be just too optimistic.
latest report
End of first week in July we will hopefully be driving across to Kirchberg
latest report
The orange line for Voralberg is worrying (7 day index of 60 to 240 in around 5 to 6 weeks) ....

snow report
@DB, just over a week ago, Vorarlberg was 149 Shocked

It can’t be a coincidence that the increase follows a relaxing of the gastronomy rules.
snow report
Cacciatore wrote:
It can’t be a coincidence that the increase follows a relaxing of the gastronomy rules.

The official line is that no infections have been recorded in gastronomy... Apparently, they occur in private and in workplaces, which I can believe because more people are meeting generally now, and any non-customer-facing workplaces I've seen or discussed have a very lax interpretation of the rules. Also, Vorarlberg has a very small population (<400k), which makes their numbers seem worse (because a small cluster has a big effect). There are currently 7 people in the ICU.

Anyway, more testing etc. has been brought in: https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3100893/
snow report
@Scarlet, I think you're right. Where I am (not Austria) most of those clusters appearing in "Gastronomy" end up being family parties that go on for hours in Hotels and Restaurants. Even less social distancing and with the inevitable consequences. Most diners keep themselves to themselves and don't actually stay long enough to get infected. Unless they start doing Karaoke of course. Very Happy
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Unless they start doing Karaoke of course. Very Happy

If COVID-19 ends up being the reason to ban Karaoke then I think it will be a small price to pay. wink
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:

The official line is that no infections have been recorded in gastronomy... Apparently, they occur in private and in workplaces, which I can believe because more people are meeting generally now, and any non-customer-facing workplaces I've seen or discussed have a very lax interpretation of the rules. Also, Vorarlberg has a very small population (<400k), which makes their numbers seem worse (because a small cluster has a big effect). There are currently 7 people in the ICU.

I do understand your point. However, Vorarlberg was bucking the national trend and, in part, was the reason for it being a tasting ground for the relaxing of rules around gastronomy. From various news sources, it would seem that visitors from a wide area (well outside of Vorarlberg) were visiting for a bit of ‘normality’. As we know, it doesn’t take much, in the way of new infections, to mushroom quite quickly.

Anyway, at least the ICU numbers are low. I guess we’ll just continue to become used to having COVID around with, hopefully, not too great an impact on serious health issues.
snow report
DB wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Unless they start doing Karaoke of course. Very Happy

If COVID-19 ends up being the reason to ban Karaoke then I think it will be a small price to pay. wink

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Got my first jab confirmation for Saturday at the new vaccination centre in Kundl. Just about in time not to need testing when gastronomy opens on May 19th.
latest report
Does anyone know what the likelyhood is of us being able to drive via Rotterdam through Holland, Germany and into Austria, and back via Germany, Belgium and France to the Tunnel end August/ early September.....assuming things will continue to open up obviously, and not go backwards. I do not want, and can not afford the risk of going into hotel quarantine on return and messing about with expensive tests etc, so thinking of cancelling but wanted to get the thoughts of others.

I know its a crystal ball moment, I have no problems once we get there, and we'd be outside for 2 weeks biking and hiking, i'm just trying to weigh up all the hassle factors, and thinking is it worth it given that mainland european counties appear to be behind UK in vaccination rollouts..

I know its possibly too early, but wondered if those who are doing this journey pretty regularly have a plan/ thoughts? TBH thinking of binning the idea and heading north.
ski holidays
Interesting interactive map in this link. One area that did have one of the highest infection rates called "Hermagor" now has the lowest at 38.8. The highest is a place in upper Austria called "Wels" with an infection rate of 321.8.

https://orf.at/stories/3210806/

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, "TBH thinking of binning the idea and heading north."
Middlesbrough? Laughing
snow conditions
@Markymark29, When do you need to cancel by? EU rollout should seriously ramp up in May (we have 9 new mass vacc centres opening in Tirol next week, but only for 2x 1-week periods), so by the end of August should be in a much better place. Keep an eye on info about the Green Pass, as that should allow you to cross through all those countries as a vaccinated traveller without too much hassle. If you can hold for a few more weeks, then I'd stay positive.

Arrival in the UK seems a bigger unknown, as they seem to take an extra spin on the randomiser before making a decision Confused
ski holidays
@DB, ooh, spot the district that got the extra vaccines wink
ski holidays
@davidthornton, Ha, not likely. Was thinking a few more hundred km further north west than that.

@Scarlet, Can hold off for a few weeks yet I guess.....need to pay a decent sized deposit end June though so will be clearer by then I guess. Also options in NW Scottish islands becoming scarcer week on week. Really want to get to Arlberg, not least to get our abandoned ski kit back.....oh and ride/ hike some mountains.
snow conditions
I'm still hoping to drive down to the Swiss Alps, and possibly onto Lake Garda, in mid June, had to postpone it from last June. The plan is to drive down through France, plan B being to divert through Belgium and Germany. France is preferred for the food and the back roads, but C-19 in France is persisting.
Not booked anything yet, but routing and overnights pencilled down.
We've had 2x vax, and the motor's got fresh oil! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Easy to spot

@Markymark29, as you know there is always a glass half empty / half full debate about all this. Personally I cant see any reason why your trip will not be possible (working on the basis that nothing crazy happens), Germany has already removed the UK from the "risk" list and other countries will follow shortly on the assumption that the vaccine rollout continues smoothly. It might all seem gloomy at the moment but most other European countries are only a few weeks behind the UK (most of Europe will have given far more first doses than the UK in April). The issue has been the limited availability of vaccines but that seems likely to significantly improve in the near future. Evidence from the UK & Israel shows that once a good percentage of the population has had a least one jab the level of virus drops significantly. I know that the UK government & the Commission hate talking to each other but the reality is that for folk who have had a "full" vaccine (potentially also those with a confirmed positive test older than 3 weeks in the previous 6 months) travel will be allowed from many countries, though places like India & Brazil are likely to remain "banned", there is too much pressure from countries that have significant tourist infrastructure, like Austria, to get this sorted. Most governments (including UK) seem to be making very optimistic noises about summer holidays.

I am dubious that some EU wide app or pass is going to happen, too many competing interests though there might be some individual country ones. I suspect the best that will happen is an agreement on accepting other country's certificates. I suspect there will also be bigger issues for families where kids / younger people wont be vaccinated.
snow report
@munich_irish, cheers, appreciate your thoughts from a local perspective @Scarlet, Might see you for a bike ride maybe!
snow report
@Markymark29, sounds good! Keep us up to date with your plans.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/27/uk-officials-in-talks-with-eu-over-reopening-travel-routes
ski holidays
Received an update from another group on what’s happening in Saalbach from 19 May, the green passport is going to be key for anyone trying to enter Austria, not sure if the testing of guests applies to self catering accommodation but would assume it does which could be a challenge.

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/safe-together

Good that they have three sites were you can get tested to meet the entry requirements for the return journey, if that’s still going to be a UK requirement after Junes announcement .
snow conditions
@munich_irish, seems to be driven from the UK with the EU not aware of the talks Very Happy
latest report
@radar, not sure that's true though the state of play between London & Brussels is hardly good. There are various competing actors here, countries, the Commission and the European Parliament who all want slightly different things. There are some countries that want to be very cautious (Ireland, Scandinavia) and others (Greece, Spain etc) who want to let in as many people as possible as soon as possible and the Commission which wants to try to have a centrally agreed scheme (green card) and rules. I am pretty dubious that is going to happen (but hope to be proved wrong) which could cause a fair amount of grief to non EU citizens.

see for some background

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-european-commission-coronavirus-travel-rules/

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-coronavirus-travel-certificates-battle/

One potential positive for Brits is that the vaccines used in the UK are all ones approved of by the EMA unlike the Russian & Chinese ones which removes a big potential source of friction.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy