Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
..and two of them attacked the police and were taken into custody for „police assault“...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Idiots
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
DB - thanks for this..makes one ashamed to be a Brit .. one small point - the report says all six are legally in Austria, tho‘ one has registered a second home and the other five their main residence..

Yes I wasn't sure how legal it was for a Brit with a second home to be in Tirol at the moment and so purposefully wrote it that way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It doesn‘t apply to me as I have a right to remain but as I understand it is perfectly legal for Brit second home owners to be here provided they entered before 31 Dec (after when the third party country Coronavirus Regulation came into effect against Brits),they have „umfassende Krankenversicherung“ & provided they don‘t exceed 90 days in 180 i.e leave by 31 March latest..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Söll page on Facebook had a similar reaction when a link to the news article was posted, but then someone who is apparently out there at the moment responded that they're all having a hard time because none of them have jobs and can't travel home. As much as I sympathise with those who are not having the dream working season they planned, I'm not sure that ignoring the law and then assaulting the police is a positive way to approach that situation. And repeat offending shows a level of arrogance or stupidity that's really quite disappointing.

Then again, 150 people were found in a makeshift "nightclub" in Birmingham over the weekend - https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-police-find-150-people-19845828 - and there are continued reports of parties, pub lock-ins, and other significant breaches here, so I guess we should expect some degree of moronic behaviour everywhere.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't seen much on SH's about this, just wondering how its affecting the locals in Austria who have to travel into Germany..?

https://www.euronews.com/2021/02/16/eu-concerned-as-germany-partially-closes-border-with-austria-and-czech-republic
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Simon94, it is causing a good deal of disruption both for commuters (plenty go both ways) and general freight traffic. It is difficult to really know how justified it is. The situation in the Czech republic is not good and the highest incident rates in Germany are along the Czech border. In the case of the Tirol there seems to be a certain amount of overreaction, the media and politicians have been very worried about the whole issue of "variants". However there seems little evidence that the Tirol is any more affected than anywhere else, the stories of South African golfing holidays for rich Tirolean hoteliers appeal to the media but maybe are somewhat exaggerated. Also bear in mind that it is election season in Germany and there is a good deal of jostling over who might replace Angela Merkel. Markus Sôder, first minister of Bavaria, believes he is in with a chance and so is keen to demonstrate how efficient he is at dealing with the whole thing. He thinks that railing against the supposed inadequacies of the Austrian tourist industry in allowing "Ischgl" to happen and then keeping the ski lifts open is going to play well with the electorate, we shall see.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't been able to visit Munich since about last September. Normally I go about once a month, for concerts and to visit friends. The other big pain is that my skiing friends, mostly from Scotland, have had to cancel their visits, not specifically because of the border closures but general corona travel restrictions. The more recent Tyrol border checks mean that I am rather avoiding going to Leogang to ski presently.

Others are probably more affected. E.g. today I read that school pupils from Tyrol are not allowed to cross into Salzburger Land (even if the have negative corona test results) but have to stick with home schooling. This affects pupils from nearby who attend the Ski Gymnasium (High School) in Saalfelden.

More of a bind currently for me is the requirement for having Covid test clearance to go skiing. That means more frequent testing than I would probably have intended otherwise, e.g. testing again this afternoon. But it's not a major problem.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I see Arlberg have now pulled the plug. Is this a house of cards with all Tirol to topple?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I see Arlberg have now pulled the plug. Is this a house of cards with all Tirol to topple?

Not quite, it's just the Tirol part of the Arlberg (St Anton), still lifts running in Lech, Zuers (although talk of Zuers closing at the weekend), Warth and Sonnenkopf.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dave of the Marmottes, depends how many people can be arsed to queue up for a test at the weekend. Nice weather but no fresh snow this week might send more to the test-exempt shopping centres than those nasty, dangerous pistes (but only with skis and snowboards, can't catch covid with a toboggan rolling eyes )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sitter, Lech, Zurs, and Warth currently running a couple of lifts each. No lifts operating in West Tirol, Stuben, St Christoph, St Anton, Rendl.

https://www.skiarlberg.at/en/interactive-map

Would not be surprised if lifts close altogether now with recent PCR tests being required.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking at the forecast for next week perhaps the weather gods have decided to intervene? Departure this Saturday was a maybe for a cheeky extra week in our plans from back in the old world. Every cloud etc...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimastaaah wrote:
@Sitter, Lech, Zurs, and Warth currently running a couple of lifts each. No lifts operating in West Tirol, Stuben, St Christoph, St Anton, Rendl.

Would not be surprised if lifts close altogether now with recent PCR tests being required.

Yes, it's what I said. Lech, Zuers, Warth and Sonnenkopf are all in Vorarlberg and so not affected by the regulations in Tirol, which is why Arlbergergbergbahnen have shut their lifts (although on one Arlberg lift pass, there are several lift companies within in, Arlbergergbergbahnen operate the St Anton side, Arlberg Ost).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. However a few resorts, like Schlick 2000 and Kühtai, have announced that they will have onsite testing on weekends at least to facilitate continuing operations. If that continues beyond the end of Feb is anyone's guess.
snow report
I heard, today, that 400 or so accommodation providers were recently ‘investigated’ in Auseerland for housing guests. Apparently, 20% were found to have accepted guest bookings Shocked rolling eyes. Fines have been issued. Further, it appears that guests were recommended to register under Meldezettel too enable them to establish “second home” status.

This was second hand, so I can’t verify but, if true (or remotely true), then it’s little wonder the Covid infections are only coming down slowly.
ski holidays
Sitter wrote:
skimastaaah wrote:

Yes, it's what I said. Lech, Zuers, Warth and Sonnenkopf are all in Vorarlberg and so not affected by the regulations in Tirol, which is why Arlbergergbergbahnen have shut their lifts (although on one Arlberg lift pass, there are several lift companies within in, Arlbergergbergbahnen operate the St Anton side, Arlberg Ost).

I have been told that all the Arlberg lift companies sit under one holding company, based in Wien, and its name is also ABB. So, the St Anton lift co is called ABB, as is the holding company. Does know anyone know if that is correct or any more on this point?

The existence of a holding company, or some other corporate structure, above the lift companies makes sense. Revenue from ticket sales needs to be allocated. Investment decisions, particularly those that impact the wider Arlberg region, eg Flexenbahn, need to be considered in that context.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, not sure TBH, might have changed with the Flexenbahn. I know prior to that you would get a free summer season lift pass for St Anton with a winter season pass purchased in St Anton only (there is a distinction with what's printed on the pass), but you'd get nothing over in Lech, not sure if that is still the case. Locals in St Anton can also get an Arlberg Ost season pass as opposed to the full area pass, so must be some separation.
latest report
I think there is now only one type of season pass available for the Arlberg area: this covers all of the Vorarlberg and Tirol parts of the area (i.e Warth/Schröcken, Lech/Zürs & Stuben which are all in Vorarlberg: Sankt Christoph, Sankt Anton which are in Tirol + stand-alone“ Sonnenkopf in klostertal back in Ländle and which is more or less still fully open). This is not valid in Summer in contrast to the „Jahreskarte“ options available in some other ski areas. I‘m not aware of any local „Ost Arlberg“ only option covering the Tirol parts only. Out of the skiing season I do a lot of mountain walking and usually end up buying (in addition to my Silvretta Montafon Jahreskarte) a „V Card“ or equivalent to give me cost effective access to the peaks near Warth/Schröcken and Lech/Zürs.
snow conditions
...+ a Bregenzerwald Summer only lift pass & I‘m more or less sorted for all the mountain excitement that the Ländle has to offer out of skiing season..
latest report
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
I think there is now only one type of season pass available for the Arlberg area: this covers all of the Vorarlberg and Tirol parts of the area (i.e Warth/Schröcken, Lech/Zürs & Stuben which are all in Vorarlberg: Sankt Christoph, Sankt Anton which are in Tirol + stand-alone“ Sonnenkopf in klostertal back in Ländle and which is more or less still fully open). This is not valid in Summer in contrast to the „Jahreskarte“ options available in some other ski areas. I‘m not aware of any local „Ost Arlberg“ only option covering the Tirol parts only. Out of the skiing season I do a lot of mountain walking and usually end up buying (in addition to my Silvretta Montafon Jahreskarte) a „V Card“ or equivalent to give me cost effective access to the peaks near Warth/Schröcken and Lech/Zürs.

There's an Einheimisch lift pass available to locals living in St Anton and Pettneu, possibly also extends a little further down the valley too, to qualify you have to have lived in the area as a main residency for a certain period of time (can't remember how long) and is for St Anton area only.
ski holidays
Sitter - I had no idea about that ..and it doesn‘t apply to me anyway as I live over the border in „Ländle“... the nearest we get is the „Ländle Card“ but that is winter only and for me has no great practical advantage over the much cheaper Silvretta Montafon card for skiing..
snow report
I realise this thread is developing into a discussion of no relevance whatsoever to the average „Snowhead“ and is in addition veering off topic...however, one final point before I leave it is a favourite hobby horse of my Vorarlbergern friends. The Ländle Card is a misnomer as it covers every Schlepplift in every Ski Gebiet in Vorarlberg ( Gurtis Bazora or Söllereckbahn anyone?) and Sonnnenkopf but NOT - you‘ve guessed it - Lech/Zürs, Stuben, Warth/Schröcken..as they say here ..“Das nenne ich schlau oder?“..
ski holidays
@Bergsteiger278, Tirol Snow Card similarly covers pretty much everything, apart from the Arlberg - IIRC because the Arlberg season pass is more expensive! The Innsbruck Freizzeitticket gives us 3 days skiing in the Arlberg though.
latest report
@clarky999, only about €50 difference between the two for full price, not sure what it is once you take in to account reductions for those living locally.

Mayrhofen is being isolated for a week (at the moment), no exit without a negative test. Seems to be the South African variant.
https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3091821/?fbclid=IwAR27QpLFh1jB1HyPLct5FoNBwumH_YtIKsN2sWsXLwyVFquYa0HJn2DXMZU
latest report
@Sitter, looking through the TT live blog it does not sound particularly good. Personally I think the border closing thing is an overreaction but at the same time the situation here, which of course is hardly far away and normally somewhere like the Zillertal no more than a short car or train ride away, seems a lot calmer even if folk are getting frustrated at the slow pace of the vaccine program (same most places though)
snow report
@munich_irish, How are they going to get out of it though? The variants aren't going anywhere, so are we going to be sealed off for the rest of the summer?
snow report
@Scarlet, I personally think that the vaccines work (including against the various "variants", there have been variants of the virus since the beginning, it is perfectly normal) and once that can be clearly seen from the UK, US etc life will get much easier. From my observations folk in the German cultural area are prone to hypochondria at the best of times (look at the annual rash of articles about "Grippe") so are inclined to perhaps get more alarmed by health issues than in some other places. I also suspect we are going to see vaccine passports becoming a necessary adjunct to "normality" in the not too distant future.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, I agree about the variants and the vaccine, but the programme isn't even going to open up to the majority until May/June, so that's potentially several more months of internal and external border closures Confused
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
I also suspect we are going to see vaccine passports becoming a necessary adjunct to "normality" in the not too distant future.

Are you sure you don't mean "normalcy"? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, I think you need to go to your room and have a right good think about what you have just done.

No supper for you!
snow conditions
@NickYoung, Laughing
snow report
So TT reports they found 6-12 positive tests with the SA mutation in Mayrhofen. I think 6 so far confirmed.
snow report
From todays Guardian live blog:

"Austria to get extra 100,000 jabs to deal with Covid hotspot
Austria will be given an extra 100,000 Pfizer vaccine doses to administer to all adults in the Schwaz district of the province of Tyrol, which has become a hotspot for the South African virus variant.

The Alpine region of Tyrol has one of Europe’s worst outbreaks of the variant, and residents require a negative coronavirus test in order to leave the province.

The efficacy of the Pfizer jab will be studied, as research has suggested this variant may be more resistant to existing coronavirus vaccines. South Africa has halted the use of the AstraZeneca jab, after a small-scale trial found that it offered as little as 10% protection against the variant first detected in the country (though there is hope it may offer significant protection against more severe illness).

“Our goal must be to extinguish as best we can this variant, which represents a threat for us, not only in Tyrol but in all of Austria,” Chancellor Sebastian Kurz told a news conference."
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, yes, it's good to see they're actually doing something that might make a difference.
latest report
Quote:

“Our goal must be to extinguish as best we can this variant, which represents a threat for us, not only in Tyrol but in all of Austria,” Chancellor Sebastian Kurz told a news conference."

So........Get on with and stop messing about Kurz - was impressed with him and his decisiveness at the start of lockdown 1, then appeared to get embroilled in politics, and now Covid vaccine management in particular seems to be rudderless in Austria.....
snow report
@Markymark29, Even though he cut off the resorts with a press announcement and caused panic? Vaccine deliveries are supposed to be picking up rapidly in March and then even more in April, so hopefully things will change. Mass vacc centres are not even up and running as yet Confused and the whole scheme is really crawling along.
snow report
@Scarlet, same here, the politicians have now woken up to the fact that everything is happening much too slowly and people are getting very grumpy! Looks as if Germany is going to be moving over to the same system as UK with a 12 week gap between jabs, once some committee or other has signed it off...... I am afraid it all makes Boris look like a logistical genius
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

So........Get on with and stop messing about Kurz - was impressed with him and his decisiveness at the start of lockdown 1, then appeared to get embroilled in politics, and now Covid vaccine management in particular seems to be rudderless in Austria.....

Totally agree.

I noticed, from the news today, that two towns in Salzburgerland have gone into quarantine, with a negative test required to enable anyone to leave.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, it’s the NHS organising rollout not Boris. He’ll be just taking the credit for it....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy