Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I don’t think it will last..my local friends here give it between 2 & 3 weeks before lockdown is reintroduced (particularly with the looming threat of SA variant over in Tirol)..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they are doing it as businesses and people are at breaking point. Burgenland, Niederösterreich & Wien seem to be the only regions that haven‘t had major spikes yet so people are finding this never-ending lockdown hard to accept.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, I think it’s the not knowing that does it, for here in the UK there’s still so much uncertainty, we don’t know when some normality will resume.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@VolklAttivaS5, at least you can see the vaccine rollout happening though. News in Tirol this morning was that 3 villages would get vaccinations for their elderly this week, so probably <100 people Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarlet, yes very much so, that has been a great success.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
@Bergsteiger278,

Get the night train here & back. wink

Crossing Tirol twice could get interesting though wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergsteiger278 wrote:
I don’t think it will last..my local friends here give it between 2 & 3 weeks before lockdown is reintroduced (particularly with the looming threat of SA variant over in Tirol)..

+1, once the Feb holidays are over it seems likely things will start shutting up again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Das mag wohl stimmen - leider..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queenie pretty please, Antigen tests are just one more tool to prevent the spread of the virus. They produce far fewer "False Positives" than PCR tests because of the way they "detect" the virus. PCR tests will detect "Previous Positives" due to the presence of dormant tissues/cells not antibodies, otherwise they'd pick up vaccinated people too. PCR Tests are run in a machine that measures "Viral Load" and works on cycles. The lower the number of cycles required to get a positive reading, the more virus you have in your body. Where I work, anything over 30 cycles is not considered a Positive Test. We do however treat any previous positives over 90 days as a new case (or re-infection) until proven otherwise.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RedandWhiteFlachau, thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
An Austrian friend just sent me this with the question "Tirol?"

http://youtube.com/v/HSD1d-6P6qI
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing

Stimmt!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, at least you can see the vaccine rollout happening though. News in Tirol this morning was that 3 villages would get vaccinations for their elderly this week, so probably <100 people Confused

Yes I registered to get the vaccine in lower Austria which has a population of 1.7 million. Soon they will vaccinate the first 10,000 people (less than 1%). People over 80 and certain people with a medical condition are first in the queue.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, Do you know what the issue is? Is it that Austria just doesn't have many vaccines at all, or is the integrated distribution network a single doctor in a van? Confused Three care homes in a week, that's ridiculous.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, I think the supply is pretty slow and that Austria hasn't moved to set up vaccination centres. I think a lot of larger companies like the one I work for will implement their own vaccination programmes and that otherwise it will be managed by general doctors. There doesn't seem to be any great urgency. Perhaps the feeling is that the winter tourism season is already lost but that the vaccination programme will be underway sufficiently to allow a summer season. Hospital numbers don't seem to be unmanageable at the moment so much so that Austrian hospitals are currently treating some patients from Portugal.
ski holidays
queenie pretty please wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any great urgency.

That's what concerns me. Probably no point setting up vaccine centres until you've got the supply for the general population, but at the same time Tirol has been sealed off and they're expecting us to put up with all the extra testing and intimidation bullsh*t whilst offering nothing in return.
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, Do you know what the issue is? Is it that Austria just doesn't have many vaccines at all, or is the integrated distribution network a single doctor in a van? Confused Three care homes in a week, that's ridiculous.

As far as I know Austria doesn't have many vaccines (unless you are the Burgermeister/in wink ).
latest report
@DB, I know rolling eyes Better in the Mayor than the bin, still, but it does seem like a strange coincidence that so many were jabbed in the same week. Some kind of old fashioned deference to authority going on?
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, I know rolling eyes Better in the Mayor than the bin, still, but it does seem like a strange coincidence that so many were jabbed in the same week. Some kind of old fashioned deference to authority going on?

I suspect many of those in political power have already been jabbed. Heard this morning that they don't even wear masks in Austrian Parliment.
As we British (because of the B117 mutation) have a status just above a leper at the moment, you would have thought they would have jabbed us first. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 10-02-21 12:48; edited 2 times in total
latest report
I’d hazard a guess that with outbreaks of the SA variant, the claims that the Astra Zeneca vaccine’s possible diminished efficacy in dealing with the variant coupled with a seeming reluctance of many Austrians to have any vaccine, that an efficient and timely vaccine programme is less likely.

Someone mentioned, the other day, that the state government are negotiating with Russia for supply of the Sputnik vaccine. Clearly an independent process outside of the flawed EU attempts to ensure Europe-wide supplies. Whether that’s true or not remains to be seen - I’ve not found any corroborating information.
snow report
It's just been on the news that Austria has negotiated a large supply of the Moderna vaccine to arrive in April.
snow report
I think somewhere in the region of 280,000 vaccines have now been given, 70,000 of which were second shots. Slow.
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
I’d hazard a guess that with outbreaks of the SA variant, the claims that the Astra Zeneca vaccine’s possible diminished efficacy in dealing with the variant coupled with a seeming reluctance of many Austrians to have any vaccine, that an efficient and timely vaccine programme is less likely.

It's infuriating. Any of the approved vaccines are better than no vaccine and so what if you need another one later?

Quote:
Someone mentioned, the other day, that the state government are negotiating with Russia for supply of the Sputnik vaccine. Clearly an independent process outside of the flawed EU attempts to ensure Europe-wide supplies. Whether that’s true or not remains to be seen - I’ve not found any corroborating information.

That doesn't surprise me, they seem quite keen to get supplies of the Sputnik one. However, I hope they will still be relying on EMA approval – if there's one thing that will put people off taking it, it's having a bash themselves Confused
snow conditions
@Scarlet, Think UK are on 14m first doses now, doing something right for a change.

280,000 seems very slow, is that correct?
ski holidays
@Markymark29, It's in the right ballpark according to this: https://info.gesundheitsministerium.at/en/ (no idea how accurate that is). There was a lot of back-patting going on in the first couple of weeks, but it's all gone very quiet on the immunisation front. As above, there is no sense of urgency at all, just blame it on Tirol and make them suffer for it rolling eyes
snow conditions
Salzburg news are reporting 360,727 first vaccines completed as of today. Very slow but no one seems to think there's much of a rush as long as the bulk of it is completed in time for the summer season. In fairness life is relatively normal here other than the lack of tourism and gastronomy. Shops and schools have reopened and most people are going to work. The hospitals do not seem to be under pressure and are treating some Covid patients from Portugal. Of course, I'm not in Tirol, I imagine things feel a little different there.
ski holidays
Just found this, 310K (10 Feb 2021, could be another 50K by the end of the day) so around 3.50 % of the population compared to approx. 21% in the UK.
https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/1197214/umfrage/impfungen-gegen-das-coronavirus-covid-19-in-oesterreich-nach-bundeslaendern/
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, 360,727 is great for Salzburg. UK as a whole only managed 411,812 today.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ringingmaster, that's for all of Austria, not Salzburg. The daily rate is around 15,000.
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, that's for all of Austria, not Salzburg. The daily rate is around 15,000.

Ah ok. I misunderstood.
snow conditions
It's just been on the news that Austria has negotiated a large supply of the Moderna vaccine to arrive in April.

The EU ordered c210 million Moderna vaccines (reported late January)....I’m surprised lil ol Austria has managed to secure a supply (presumably in addition to whatever proportion they’ll receive from central EU ‘procurement’).
latest report
“Lil ol Austria” is, of course, very wealthy by most standards ..and money does more than just talk..
ski holidays
Sölden closed down its Lifts today until further notice

https://www.facebook.com/soelden.oetztal/photos/a.453910568517/10159102283508518

The beginning of the End of the Ski Season in Austria. Sad Sad
ski holidays
Some other resorts have at least stated their opening intentions. Kreischberg until Feb 28th, Lachtal until April 5th. Details on this Bergfex page:

https://www.bergfex.com/kreischberg/
ski holidays
Gastronomy/Accommodation to remain closed until (probably just after) Easter. Pretty much expected. That’ll be 5 months closed Shocked Confused

Our local slopes (Dachstein West) almost fully open until Sunday when an announcement is due re continued operation. The expectation is that two runs will remain in operation - Gosau Hornspitz and Russbach Hornbahn.

The skiing yesterday was awesome following the cold snap. With temperatures coming up, heading to the weekend, and into daytime levels around 15C, I suspect conditions will rapidly deteriorate. That said, with so few skiers around, there should be some decent sliding to be had. Fingers crossed.
snow report
A lot of the smaller resorts will close on the 7th March

https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/saisonende/

https://www.skiinfo.de/oesterreich/saisonende-skigebiet.html

Week by week more and more resorts will close.
Some of the larger resorts are still saying they will open until Easter (11.04) but I doubt they will all stay open until then.
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Week by week more and more resorts will close.
Some of the larger resorts are still saying they will open until Easter (11.04) but I doubt they will all stay open until then.

Agreed. It will be very hard to justify.
ski holidays
As anticipated - just received an Email from the Mountain Hotel in Galtur, Austria saying they won't be opening earlier than April so our Silvretta Ski Tour trip mid March 2021 won't happen. The hotel is expecting the next update from the government during early March.

This also supports the view that the earliest relaxation of the lockdown will be early April 2021 so hotels are unlikely to open before then.
https://orf.at/stories/3201587/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-02-21 11:40; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Before Stanton posts this ....

6 Brits found partying in Söll, Austria for the second time. (5 of 6 are at least legal residents in Austria. 1 has a second home in Austria).

https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3090478/
snow report
DB - thanks for this..makes one ashamed to be a Brit .. one small point - the report says all six are legally in Austria, tho‘ one has registered a second home and the other five their main residence..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy