Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Kooky, Shocked Jeezus! I've not heard that one before, but it made me laugh, in that slightly terrified way! Well that goes someway to explain the extremely low uptake figures being reported from surveys. Have you tried reasoning with them, or is that a waste of time?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Kooky, and there’s me thinking that Austrians are generally sensible and compliant, and that the U.K. is nutjob central. So much for achieving herd immunity.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, have you met any Austrians? Laughing

We had a really spectacular fireworks display this New Year's Eve, all the way up and down the valley. I think it had been especially boosted by the fireworks ban Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, @Kooky, it looks like the details and even whether or not the testing plan will go ahead is still being argued in parliament this week, so it all might change anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here in Germany there are arguments (much like many other places) over what should happen next. There are some signs that the level of virus is on the way down but it is very difficult to tell as the holidays mess up the reporting and testing. There are those in favour of keeping the schools closed and those for opening. Lots of stories about overcrowded tourist spots especially in snow covered mountain areas. I suspect the restrictions will be extended for much of January and the restrictions on travelling into Austria will remain.

The mass testing thing is very attractive to politicians but it has had mixed results. Slovakia tested pretty much the entire population with the sort restrictions on anyone who refused a test along the lines of what is being proposed in Austria. The result is that Slovakia now has one of the highest levels in Europe, doubt it has any connection but the testing regime did not seem to make any difference. The UK did seem to have some success with it in Liverpool though the decline in rates there might be for other reasons too. The proposal for mass testing in UK schools is causing a lot of upset with little evidence it will achieve anything.

Despite my libertarian views (of the left wing variety) I would make vaccination pretty much compulsory, I have little patience for the sort of views @Kooky reported. I want to get back to "normal" asap.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@queenie pretty please, that’s defacto compulsory then for anyone who wants to participate in normal work stuff in your company. How did it go down amongst the staff? Was there much resistance? Not much of an issue for someone who was going to have it anyway, but for those who are not sure, I don’t know which way it would go.

Personally, I would prefer a voluntary vaccination with a proper wide-reaching education campaign, then consider making it compulsory only as a last resort if take up is too low. If people are not getting jabs, the govt needs to be asking why and addressing those issues.

[edit: ghost post...]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, yes stealth compulsory vaccination but they also sent round a video explaining why the vaccine is safe to try and educate any deniers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The lockdown has essentially been extended by at least another week. The government's proposal to allow opening for people who present a negative test following the mass tests on 16th/17th Jan has been blocked by parliament. The opposition argued that it is unfair to expect shops, hotels and restaurants to police whether people had had a negative test.

Ski lifts remain open, but authorities here are very worried about the spread of the British mutated strain in Europe, despite borders being closed to travellers from the UK, so it seems unlikely that there will be a relaxing of travel restrictions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queenie pretty please, just read it as well.
https://www.salzburg24.at/news/oesterreich/innenpolitik/lockdown-wird-bis-24-jaenner-verlaengert-97874608
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queenie pretty please wrote:
The lockdown has essentially been extended by at least another week. The government's proposal to allow opening for people who present a negative test following the mass tests on 16th/17th Jan has been blocked by parliament. The opposition argued that it is unfair to expect shops, hotels and restaurants to police whether people had had a negative test.

Ski lifts remain open, but authorities here are very worried about the spread of the British mutated strain in Europe, despite borders being closed to travellers from the UK, so it seems unlikely that there will be a relaxing of travel restrictions.

Are road borders closed too?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Austrian Seagull, open for freight and commuting/business purposes and to people with Wohnsitz in Austria. Not open to people travelling from UK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Austrian Seagull, open for freight and commuting/business purposes and to people with Wohnsitz in Austria. Not open to people travelling from UK.

I’ve heard stories of people driving from the UK recently and just wondered how they managed to do it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Austrian Seagull, if they have proof of Wohnsitz in Austria, then in theory they can cross the border and then quarantine for 10 days. But the general feeling in Europe right now is to limit travel from the UK as far as possible to try to contain this mutated version.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Austrian Seagull, if they have proof of Wohnsitz in Austria, then in theory they can cross the border and then quarantine for 10 days. But the general feeling in Europe right now is to limit travel from the UK as far as possible to try to contain this mutated version.

That certainly makes sense. Interestingly the UK Gov website makes no reference to the Austrian border being closed, but it does refer to the landing ban and the quarantine requirements on travellers from the UK.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Austrian Seagull, it's not specific to Austria, there's a huge list of countries which currently do not allow entry for travellers from the UK. And of course the EU has a specific list of "safe" third countries to which the UK does not belong.

It's hardly surprising that the UK government website is not currently publicising the fact that UK travellers are essentially being quarantined in their own country right now.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, Just splitting hairs here, but have you a reference to say people cannot currently travel from uk to Austria? All I have read is there is a landing ban from uk and a quarantine requirement on arrival.
snow conditions
@hsdee, don't you read/watch the news? When the mutant variant was identified in the UK just before Christmas most of the world closed their borders with the UK. Which led to thousands of truck drivers being stuck at Dover because France wouldn't let them in until they had received a negative test result.

The situation in the UK has not improved and since the UK is now a third country, it will need to achieve "safe" status with the EU before being added to the list of countries whose travellers are permitted entry. I think the UK is a long way from achieving that.
snow report
@hsdee, don't you read/watch the news? When the mutant variant was identified in the UK just before Christmas most of the world closed their borders with the UK. Which led to thousands of truck drivers being stuck at Dover because France wouldn't let them in until they had received a negative test result.

The situation in the UK has not improved and since the UK is now a third country, it will need to achieve "safe" status with the EU before being added to the list of countries whose travellers are permitted entry. I think the UK is a long way from achieving that.

Posted 30/12/20

A friend of ours arrived safely in Saalbach the day before yesterday, after driving down from the U.K. This was his report:
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, Ok so you don't actually have a reference, just asking, and yes i read the news, sometimes i even watch it, occasionally i even make it. I was just wondering where you got yours from.
ski holidays
@Dingles, I assume someone who has Wohnsitz in Austria. Tourism in Austria is currently closed to all, including Austrians!
latest report
@hsdee,

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufenthalt/reisewarnungen/

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/reise-aufenthalt/reiseinformation/land/vereinigtes-koenigreich/

https://reopen.europa.eu/en
latest report
Tourists shouldn't be skiing in Austria.

Quote:
Current Situation in Austria

At the moment, a lockdown is in effect in Austria. Tourism and leisure travel are not possible.
Current measures - in effect at least until 17 January - include:
Hotels are closed to leisure travellers/tourists; only essential travel (e.g. for business that cannot be delayed) is permitted.
Restaurants and bars can only offer takeout/delivery services. Dining in is not permitted.
Events such as concerts, plays, exhibitions etc. are cancelled.
Theatres, cinemas, gyms, pools, zoos, amusement parks, and most other culture and leisure facilities are closed.
Only essential shops are open.
You are required to stay at home and only leave the house for essential reasons.
Cable cars and ski areas have been allowed to reopen. Hotels and restaurants are however still closed and entry regulations (quarantine requirement - see below) are in effect. De facto, skiing is only possible for locals.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information
latest report
@Austrian Seagull, there are no specific border closures however most governments are discouraging travel (not just of UK citizens). As @queenie pretty please says entry into Austria (and back into Germany) is only for specific purposes such as work, urgent family reasons or health issues etc. There are random checks being carried out, for instance Austrian folk have been fined for coming to Bavaria to go shopping. In practical terms this means that cars with local plates, say Rosenheim or Kufstein are not very likely to get stopped but those from further away say Berlin or Vienna are much more likely to get stopped whilst any UK registered vehicle has effectively got a big flashing sign "stop me". If you have Austrian residency (or German for Germany etc) then you would be allowed to go there but then you would be subject to whatever the local health rules are with regard to tests, quarantine etc. The same should apply to family members of Austrian citizens or EEA citizens with Austrian residency.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, my German colleagues who cross the border daily for work (with local plates) report that they get stopped and checked around once in every three days. There have been several reports in the news of cars with Dutch plates being turned away from German and Austrian borders.
snow report
A bit more on the covid related restrictions into the EU for UK travellers, plus a bit on length of stay.

Covid-related ban on non-essential UK travelers: At time of writing no exception has been announced for UK passport holders to a ban on non-essential visitors entering the EU and the four European Free Trade Association states (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland). Only a handful of countries with very low coronavirus infection rates, such as New Zealand, are exempt.

New limits on length of stay: There is no limit to how long EU citizens can stay in EU countries other than their own. This right disappears for UK passport holders on 31 December 2020. Instead, they can visit most EU countries plus the four EFTA states for a combined total of up to 90 days in any 180-day period. For example, 30 days each in Belgium, France and Germany is permitted. Thirty days each in Belgium and France plus 31 in Germany would breach the limit. Passport will be stamped on entry to and exit from all countries.
The exceptions to the rule above are Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. They form a separate bloc with another combined limit of 90 days’ entry for UK passport holders during any 180-day period.

Source: https://www.businesstravelnews.com/Global/After-Brexit-Major-Restrictions-Hit-EU-UK-Business-Travel?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=eltrdaily&oly_enc_id=0239F2792001C7U
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, Thanks for your links, a couple of which i am familiar with, and so as i understand it, tourist trips are verboten and essential travel is still possible.
To clarify and for example i understand at the moment for Spain and Switzerland it's residents and nationals only, Holland - essential travel. I interpreted one of your previous comments as to imply all travel from the uk was not allowed and hence my question.
ski holidays
@hsdee, all tourism is banned, including internally in Austria. Essential business travel and repatriation of people with residency in Austria from the UK is permitted subject to 10-day quarantine restrictions.
snow report
New regulations for entering Austria come into force on Friday. People wanting to enter have to register online beforehand and state their reason for entry. Tourism is still not permitted. Excluding commuters, delivery vehicles and transit traffic. The 10-day quarantine requirement for people with successful registration still exists.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queenie pretty please, where do you register? While I won't be travelling any time soon I would like to have a look
latest report
@holidayloverxx, same as you, there is and article in Salzburg 24 about it, the government site mentioned in the article hasn’t been updated as the official announcement is due sometime today.

https://www.salzburg24.at/news/oesterreich/oesterreich-einreisende-muessen-sich-ab-freitag-registrieren-98230042
snow report
@holidayloverxx, @radar, the site is not online yet. I'll post a link once it is.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, Very Happy
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, thanks
snow report
17 cases of the UK virus mutation have been detected in Tirol. Varying nationalities but it would appear that a person(s) who travelled from the UK for seasonal work is/are the source. It seems like that the area(s) concerned will be fully quarantined to allow mass testing.
snow conditions
17 cases of the UK virus mutation have been detected in Tirol. Varying nationalities but it would appear that a person(s) who travelled from the UK for seasonal work is/are the source. It seems like that the area(s) concerned will be fully quarantined to allow mass testing.

Apparently in Jochberg - near Kitzbühel and Saalbach, right on the border between Tyrol and Salzburgland: https://www.tt.com/artikel/30772737/17-faelle-in-jochberg-verdacht-auf-britische-virus-variante-in-tirol
ski holidays
Bet they are glad they moved the races from Switzerland now. wink
ski holidays
Do you know many coronaviruses are they sequencing in Austria?

I am sure there are a lot more than that, if they look they are highly likely to find
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

Apparently in Jochberg - near Kitzbühel and Saalbach, right on the border between Tyrol and Salzburgland: https://www.tt.com/artikel/30772737/17-faelle-in-jochberg-verdacht-auf-britische-virus-variante-in-tirol

The finger of blame for the outbreak is being pointed at a British group on a ski teacher course.

Whether that turns out to be substantially the case or not, this incident (together with others such as the recent outbreak in Wengen blamed on British visitors that resulted in the cancellation of the Lauberhorn races) is going to make Britons in the Alps receive a less than warm welcome in the near future I fear..... Sad
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

The finger of blame for the outbreak is being pointed at a British group on a ski teacher course.

Whether that turns out to be substantially the case or not, this incident (together with others such as the recent outbreak in Wengen blamed on British visitors that resulted in the cancellation of the Lauberhorn races) is going to make Britons in the Alps receive a less than warm welcome in the near future I fear..... Sad

“These were people of various nationalities - mainly British citizens,” Tyrol’s provincial government said in a statement..."
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

The Tiroler Tageszeitung article that Clarky refers to also mentions instructor courses. I know that the exam courses are going ahead, but really surprised that they are allowing training courses to go ahead with hotels etc. being closed. I know of a training provider that attracts UK clients, as well as others from across the globe, that is running a course in the Jochberg/Kitzbuehl are at the moment, I only know because they're been posting on their Instagram account, wonder if that's such a wise decision given the way this looks like it might go...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy