Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@tatmanstours, I think it probably depends on the resorts you ski at. I generally go to lesser known, smaller resorts, as they're actually more convenient for me, and I can't say I've very often seen inconsiderate or loutish behaviour. These resorts do typically have on piste bars and guest houses, but no real Après-Ski scene. In other words, it's overwhelmingly locals anyway.

I actually think I'm enjoying this season more for the general silence on the slopes. I don't mean lack of people, I mean lack of bars pumping out crap music. It's a much more peaceful experience. However, there are also some nice resorts where this doesn't happen normally anyway (like Riesneralm).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton, how happy would you be to be interviewed in German, Romansh or Italian for a TV programme? You might manage it in Dutch or English, but how about the others?

Her German is basic but passable. Maybe he was reluctant to expose his limited German skills. Try playing the ball rather than the man...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, being interviewed for a TV is not easy, I am no great judge but I guess she would pass a German B1 test which is all you need to get German citizenship (I know Austria is more difficult). I would suggest a pat on the back is more appropriate for having enough self confidence to do the interview.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@stanton, Keep up! (Actually that couple - if they have been legally living in Austria - should have no problems getting the new Art50-EUV residence card, giving them the permanent right to live in Austria, provided that they have accommodation and are self-sufficient and have health cover. Not much bureaucracy really.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@phillc, I can’t remember seeing any significant loutish or inconsiderate behaviour, and I ski all winter in Austria’s biggest interlinked area - hence my puzzlement.
Any slopeside apres-ski bars have never been irksome to me. In fact I welcome a warm refuge, preferably with an open log fire, where I can get a jagatee or a beer, with or without (preferably with) a bit of merriment, before I set off on the final ski down - invariably idyllically quiet, on freshly groomed pistes, and lit either by head torch or the moon and the stars. Boorish behaviour has never caused me any problem.
I can readily understand that the current situation would provide a welcome relief if the pistes were normally frequented by inconsiderate, boorish louts, but in my experience they aren’t.
Perhaps I need to get out more.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the outcome is more that other people should get out more!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, everywhere I have skied in Austria (including S-H) there has been an annoying and dangerous small minority who ski too fast with no consideration of how busy the pistes are. The issue is not that they injure themselves (they probably do but who cares) but that they cause injuries to others. It is not just the stereotypical 18 year old over confident young man, there was a case a few years back were a senior German politician caused a fatal accident through skiing too fast on a crowded piste (might have been in S-H but I seem to remember it happened in Carinthia). Similar accidents happen every year.

There are also groups of largely, but not exclusively, men who appear late morning and then appear to ski (if that is the appropriate word) from hut to hut with appropriate refreshment stops in each place (probably a slight exaggeration Very Happy ) so by the end of the day are a general menace to others. Folk should be able to enjoy their leisure time as they wish, personally besides the occasional lunch time beer I would prefer to spend the hours when the lifts are open skiing and keep the drinking until later, but that does not mean interfering with other people. Skiing is safer without a significant alcohol intake.

I too think a bit of music can add to the atmosphere, nothing wrong with a bit of Austrian "apres music" in the right place as long as not too many such places. The best runs tend to be those away from huts and (not so easy to get) crowds.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd agree, there are always a minority everywhere I have been who have a couple of beers around 1030, follow that up with 2 more at lunchtime and with a couple of Jaegers to finish off, stop at 2 to top up, and then stop skiing around 3.30 to get a few in before the bar becomes really busy. My experience has typically been that they are German, about 6'2" and about 18 stone, 30+, and would not be the ideal partner to choose for a high speed collision. Having said that, the last one who came from above, behind and on the right and hit me from the side learned the hard way that a low centre of gravity (and a rugby player's instinct to brace for impact) is the primary factor in determining the result, as that's what caused him to be bounced off into a tangled heap while I somehow stayed on my feet. He was of course very apologetic and concerned to check that I was OK, and he admitted he was in the wrong immediately as he was approaching from behind me, but he was also clearly on the outside of enough schnapps for me to smell it from 6 feet away. If he had instead hit my 9 year old daughter, I dread to think what damage he would have done.

While I'm not in favour of an alcohol ban on the pistes as I enjoy an occasional (single) lunchtime beer myself, there has to be more common sense and if that can't be clearly demonstrated then maybe there needs to be more regulation to take the edges off the problem.

When drunk driving is now socially unacceptable, it does seem strange that drunk skiing is actively encouraged in some places and in some demographics.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@munich_irish, much of what you say could not possibly be disagreed with. I’m not saying that occasional accidents on crowded pistes don’t happen, or that people don’t occasionally ski too fast or irresponsibly, or that people don’t occasionally over-imbibe.
What I am saying is that I’ve never perceived such instances as commonplace or problematic, as some of the previous posts might imply. In fact I’ve often contemplated, as I sit on a chairlift, how amazing it is that, by and large such problems are relatively minimal - considering the variety of speed, ability, control, skiing style/trajectory, age, maturity, experience, etc. all intermingling on pistes that might sometimes put one in mind of the M25.
I can readily empathise with anyone who relishes uncrowded, unmogulled pistes, or the peace and serenity of the mountains, currently bereft of the sights and sounds of the more commercial/social aspects of skiing. What caused me pause for thought was the implication that loutish, inconsiderate, reckless and/or drunken behaviour was a particularly noticeable feature of skiing in normal times, as opposed to an isolated occurrence.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, I think it is noticeable, but only because it is an isolated occurrence, and therefore it stands out when you see it. And maybe more so if you are personally attuned to look for it, which I suspect I am. Some people see a rowdy crowd and walk towards it thinking it will be fun, while I see a rowdy crowd and walk in the opposite direction. Each to their own.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tatmanstours, Around the Amade resorts recently we have seen some pretty fast but highly skilled and very in control skiers. Most are local and/or ex teen racers who know the area, the conditions and have good equipment. People seem very relaxed about the skiing; with very short queues people are not rushing to get as much slope time as they can and are giving each other plenty of room.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ousekjarr, Perhaps I’ve been lucky, or unobservant, or both. I can certainly recount very occasional (or even fairly rare) on-piste collisions, and no doubt more frequent (but still not exactly numerous) near misses.
I’ve generally taken some comfort from the knowledge that, unlike driving and even walking, the balance that is required to be able to stay upright on fast-moving skis, acts as a natural inhibitor against excessive drinking. However I’m beginning to sound a mite too complacent, even to myself. Perhaps I should be touching wood as I write this!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most of the bad behaviour I have see/seen tends to be at those resorts where people are bussed in for day trips from Germany and other cities. Or where the lively huts are placed further up the mountain encouraging people to ski down. The combination of the two would be the worst and to be avoided (we normally have kids with us).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Matrix, over the last few years here many of the huts at the top of the hill will not serve you a drink after 16.30 due to the fact the slopes need to be vacated by 17.30 when the prepping starts.
I do remember the good old days of having a few Jagertees after a days skiing and wobbling precariously home in the dark but this seems to be a thing of the past, and probably good so.

@tatmanstours, I do remember a certain "kerfuffle" over a headband in the Hinterhag Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I do remember a certain "kerfuffle" over a headband in the Hinterhag

@Kooky, I don’t specifically remember that, but there again leaping and scrumming for headbands and other freebies that magically descend from above, like manna from heaven, seems to be both traditional and encouraged in the Hinterhag. It must be conceded that the dance floor becomes a bit of a bear pit during “Evi’s Herzltanz” - but of course participation is not compulsory. There are those of us who may already have accumulated a lifetime’s supply of headbands and can afford to watch the competing gladiators with an indulgent eye.
I have a feeling that those who were exalting about the current air of civilised behaviour on the pistes were not thinking of the Hinterhag, whose hard-partying patrons will have to turn to cage-fighting for their thrills, at least for this season.
latest report
@tatmanstours, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing so much truth there!
snow report
Sticking with the current theme, from today’s Sunday Times.

Piste again? It’s all downhill when boorish Brits go skiing

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/piste-again-its-all-downhill-when-boorish-brits-go-skiing-nxlz3jlb6
latest report
Quote (caption) from Sunday Times - "Many British skiers wear fancy dress on the slopes." More media crap. Some years ago when heavy snow temporarily blocked alpine roads over a weekend, causing transfer problems, the Daily Mail splashed headlines about it illustrated with photos of a road with banked snow many feet high dwarfing cars. The photo was captioned "Ischgl". Having been there I didn't recognise it, the car number plates not quite right and the cars right hand drive. I guessed it was in Japan. Did a search and soon found a famous road that cuts through a glacier in Japan.
The media, especially print, is the most unreliable source of news. False news, twisted quotes, dodgy photos purporting to reflect actuality. BBC and ITV news bulletins not much better.
So back to the ST and British fancy dress skiers; absolute rubbish, an odd one or two at the most. You could go skiing for years without seeing a fancy dress skier of any nationality.
snow report
@davidthornton, on the other hand there are some regular groups, who delight in themed fancy-dress excursions. I’ve encountered a sizeable group of superheroes more than once, and I well remember a group of about a dozen traditionally-attired English gentlemen - deer-stalkers, tweed jackets, plus fours, “Biggles” flying hats/goggles, etc.
One of my most memorable encounters was with a herd of British skiers dressed in cow costumes (complete with udders, tails, horns, etc.) It was a very warm day, so I asked if they were not too hot in those costumes - the reply, “No, we’re Friesian!”
Although it has been invariably British skiers that I have encountered wearing fancy dress (I include Scots, although kilts don’t count), during Fasching week it is those of all nationalities who are not wearing fancy dress who feel the odd ones out. Hardly newsworthy!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-01-21 16:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:

What I am saying is that I’ve never perceived such instances as commonplace or problematic, as some of the previous posts might imply. In fact I’ve often contemplated, as I sit on a chairlift, how amazing it is that, by and large such problems are relatively minimal - considering the variety of speed, ability, control, skiing style/trajectory, age, maturity, experience, etc. all intermingling on pistes that might sometimes put one in mind of the M25.
I can readily empathise with anyone who relishes uncrowded, unmogulled pistes, or the peace and serenity of the mountains, currently bereft of the sights and sounds of the more commercial/social aspects of skiing. What caused me pause for thought was the implication that loutish, inconsiderate, reckless and/or drunken behaviour was a particularly noticeable feature of skiing in normal times, as opposed to an isolated occurrence.

FWIW I rather like apres music and have absolutely 0 issues if someone wants to have a beer or two with their lunch on holiday, I just don't like people who ski with 0 awareness of what's going on around them.

In pretty much all but the really tiny properly local-only resorts there seem to be people who will ski just as fast and just as close to (or beyond) the limits of their ability in poor viz on an icy piste crowded with ski school kids wobbling erratically in all directions as they do on empty pistes in hero snow and bright sun. I've similarly often sat on chairlifts and thought that blind luck is playing far too big a role than it should on the piste below! Saalbach definitely isn't exempt from that - I've been crashed into there while wearing a bright red instructors uniform at the head of a typical ski school snake (and FWIW while being careful not to use up the whole width of the slope with it).

It's probably understandable that if someone is on holiday and doesn't have the luxury of waiting for better conditions they'll want to make the most of it regardless, but after I guess now being used to having to always ski defensively when on piste and trying to second guess where each successive cannonball will end up after desperately swerving around all the other cannonballs they failed to anticipate or notice until the last possible second, it's REALLY nice and a very positive surprise for it to simply be a non-issue atm.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, sure you see them - kilts, clowns, animals, dinner jackets, etc., but in something like 50 years I can count the occasions on one hand. The press don't need defending or deserve it.
snow conditions
@clarky999, I certainly take no issue with the suggestion that there are careless and incompetent skiers/boarders, travelling at speeds beyond their particular ability levels, probably in most, if not all, resorts. In bad weather, piste conditions and visibility, it’s presumably worse (although that’s usually when I take a day off). I should change that red jacket - it makes you a target.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, haha, swapped that out a few year back - not sure they'd let me wear one now!
snow report
@davidthornton, it’s pretty commonplace hereabouts. I have no idea whether (and if so why) the press article was critical of fancy dress, as it is behind a paywall. Just commenting on the ubiquity of fancy dress; certainly not trying to defend the press (who are usually indefensible).
snow report
I recall at one point (somewhere around page 4) trying to keep this thread on track! It’s amazing what we have covered, covid entry requirements for driving across Europe, what to carry in your car as well as the right documents, citizenship requirements, Austrian government support for apartment owners, as well as hotels and lift companies, mass covid testing in Austria, European resort closures, Bavarian blockade of ski resorts, I’m sure there are some I’ve missed!

Anyone know when the Chancellor is going to make an announcement on what happens after the 18th, not that anybody for England will be able to go anywhere as we will all be in tier4 Very Happy

Edit: missed fancy dress on the slopes Laughing
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:

While I'm not in favour of an alcohol ban on the pistes as I enjoy an occasional (single) lunchtime beer myself, there has to be more common sense and if that can't be clearly demonstrated then maybe there needs to be more regulation to take the edges off the problem.

When drunk driving is now socially unacceptable, it does seem strange that drunk skiing is actively encouraged in some places and in some demographics.

I’m with you on this
snow report
@radar, mass tests will take place again on the weekend of 16th/17th Jan. People who do not take part will have to quarantine for 10 days as if they had tested positive. This is in response to the relatively low take-up in the previous round of mass tests. We believe that shops, hotels and restaurants will be able re-open at this point, but it seems unlikely that the borders will reopen. Germany has extended its lockdown and Austria has a blanket 10-day quarantine requirement for people entering from countries with a 7-day incidence rate of more than 100. And of course the UK is not on the EU "safe" list anyway.
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, thanks having been keeping a close eye on all the current restrictions especially the accommodation. Just wondering if I had missed when the next announcement will take place, hoping that we can rent out in February, we don’t get many brits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I’m with you on this

@radar, I’ll have a word on your behalf with Mrs TT wink
latest report
@tatmanstours, Shocked
snow report
@radar, in theory you should be able to accept Austrian guests from 18th Jan if they have tested negative.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, I’m not sharing when I’m next in SH Toofy Grin
latest report
@radar, there is a lot in the news today also that Germany want to extend their lockdown until the end of January, perhaps some of the Germany residents can confirm, I think there is a big press conference on Tuesday, certainly their number are quite alarming still.
@queenie pretty please, also the workers who refuse to test will not be allowed to work, and will also not be paid, according to my boss. As the only person in my team of 12 who went to get tested last time, Im quite interested to see what happens this time around.
latest report

tatmanstours wrote:
@davidthornton, on the other hand there are some regular groups, who delight in themed fancy-dress excursions. I’ve encountered a sizeable group of superheroes more than once, and I well remember a group of about a dozen traditionally-attired English gentlemen - deer-stalkers, tweed jackets, plus fours, “Biggles” flying hats/goggles, etc.

Please note that I do not consider tweed jackets and plus fours (and shirt and tie) to be 'fancy dress', just normal dress for any English gentleman..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
mass tests will take place again on the weekend of 16th/17th Jan. People who do not take part will have to quarantine for 10 days as if they had tested positive. This is in response to the relatively low take-up in the previous round of mass tests.

I understand there can be a certain amount of local interpretation with this stuff, but here we've been told that the extended period is one week, and it is that the conditions will continue for you as they are now i.e. it is as if the shops, restaurants etc. have not opened as you are not allowed to use them without a neg test, and you have to use an FFP2 mask if you go to the supermarket. I don't believe that's anywhere near as strict as the quarantine, where you're not even allowed to put your bins out. I'm interested in how the “proof” will be handled, as I have no evidence at all that I previously tested negative.
ski holidays
@Kooky, in addition to the above, I'm sure I read you could still work but had to wear an FFP2 without a neg test. Don't know whether that's regional, or your boss making their own rules up though.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, ahhh ok! thanks. I guess that what my co workers will do as they are scared of having a cotton bud poked up their nose rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Kooky, really?! It's uncomfortable, but I'm more concerned about testing positive than the test itself. The FFP2 may become a bit of an identifying marker for the non-compliant though...
snow report
@Scarlet, yep, really. Plus 6 of them are under 25 and refusing to have the vaccination for fears their future children will be deformed.
There is so much ignorance here it is quite shocking, my managers sister thinks everytime we are nasal swabbed the government are implanting chips in our noses Shocked Shocked
latest report
Kooky wrote:
There is so much ignorance here it is quite shocking, my managers sister thinks everytime we are nasal swabbed the government are implanting chips in our noses Shocked Shocked

Crinkle cut or plain? Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy