Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

The point of the quarantine is to reduce the risk of another spike .

It's also to prevent false-negatives or to allow the "disease to develop". As in if you caught it on the way at a gas station (for example) by the time they test you, you get a chance to develop the disease (as disturbing as that might sound). However, not long enough to totally discourage you for going, like say Norway that asks for a PCR test and... 14 days in quarantine anyway? So to me it makes sense, and it's a small ask if you want to travel mid-cold season when most cold and cold-alike viruses/bacteria tend to spread faster.

Now my second wonder is whether as we get into late season (March) if it will become more accessible.

Quote:
If on the other hand you want to go longer term, you rent an apartment for 3 months, register as resident, sort out your healthcare insurance etc, then - once your quarantine is over - you should be able to go skiing no problem at all. Ski holidays are banned, not skiing.

I'm somehow picturing a lot of people registering as ski instructors Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999 wrote:
Worth bearing in mind that border restrictions (quarantine/negative test) are still in place for countries like the Czech Republic (and eg parts of the UK) - opening the lifts won't necessarily mean a free for all for international day trippers!

I admit I have no idea for Czech, but from Slovenia, I can come to Austria without issues (at the moment), and I'm not sure Slovenia is any better then Czech regarding covid statistics. Only problem I have, when I would come back to Slovenia, but for that, there's few workarounds Very Happy But I have no idea what it means for day visitors that Austrian rules change from 24.12 to 10.1.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
blind_raven wrote:
I mean... how? And it's not like they can tell airbnb what to do...

Wanna bet? https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2219/business-licensing-in-austria

AirBNB would very quickly find their operating licence withdrawn, followed by a very large fine. Individual properties which rent out rooms as a secondary activity don't necessarily need a licence, but many will and their licence would be at risk too - see https://www.wko.at/service/Taetigkeiten,-die-nicht-unter-die-Gewerbeordnung-fallen.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I think that killed my last chance of skiing until Feb at least. Braces for frustrating 2021, though might start thinking about whether post jab availability to start thinking about whether S America is a possibility.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, My thoughts too, something tells me we won't be alone! Increasingly hopeful of a March dive down to the Alps though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@primoz, the 14 day rate for Slovenia is currently above 950 (see https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/e6acbf22cc4f4b85949f59734244ba71 ), it will have to come down a long way before you can enter Austria without restrictions unless you are a daily commuter or similar. Currently the only largish countries below the 100 / 14 day rate are Finland (only just), Ireland and Iceland. The Vatican is zero but dont think the Pope is into skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is the new 10-day/5-day with negative PCR test quarantine in Austria only for the period 24/12/20 - 10/01/21 ?

Or is it likely to continue through the season?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm just really glad that I, at least mentally, wrote off this season back at the beginning. The way I'm feeling in general right now the realisation that my most favourite event of the year was going to cancelled almost at the last would have been a real bug ger.

I just hope the Austrian Government show more concern for the survival of the tourism/hospitality industry than the UK has. Wouldn't be hard right enough.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-12-20 15:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Worth bearing in mind that border restrictions (quarantine/negative test) are still in place for countries like the Czech Republic (and eg parts of the UK) - opening the lifts won't necessarily mean a free for all for international day trippers!

I admit I have no idea for Czech, but from Slovenia, I can come to Austria without issues (at the moment), and I'm not sure Slovenia is any better then Czech regarding covid statistics. Only problem I have, when I would come back to Slovenia, but for that, there's few workarounds Very Happy But I have no idea what it means for day visitors that Austrian rules change from 24.12 to 10.1.

Yep different rules for Slovenia and Czech atm: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

I assume that page is due to be updated in the very near future though!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Android2000 wrote:
Is the new 10-day/5-day with negative PCR test quarantine in Austria only for the period 24/12/20 - 10/01/21 ?

I think you're not even allowed in during those dates, and after 10/01/2021 then the quarantine rules kick in. If it is as I assumed, then I think UK to Austria ski holidays may be out of the question for 90% of people who can't go for weeks and weeks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pastorius wrote:
Android2000 wrote:

I think you're not even allowed in during those dates, and after 10/01/2021 then the quarantine rules kick in. If it is as I assumed, then I think UK to Austria ski holidays may be out of the question for 90% of people who can't go for weeks and weeks.

Does anyone know for sure which one it is?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@trainee snowboard jedi, from Jan 10th.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.krone.at/2289338

This article says the quarantine policy will apply from mid-December until Jan 10th - or am I misunderstanding?

"Österreich verhängt spätestens ab Mitte Dezember für alle Einreisenden aus Corona-Risikogebieten eine zehntägige Quarantänepflicht. Ziel sei es, den Tourismus weitgehend einzudämmen, teilte die türkis-grüne Bundesregierung am Mittwoch mit. Österreich setze daher auf ein „konsequentes Grenzregime“, damit das Virus nicht durch Rückkehrer oder Touristen ins Land getragen werde, sagte Bundeskanzler Sebastian Kurz. Gelten sollen die Einreisebestimmungen vorläufig bis 10. Jänner."
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
according to TT.Com this ist until 10th Jan.
https://www.tt.com/artikel/30765831/gut-zu-wissen-alle-lockerungen-und-regeln-ab-7-dezember-im-ueberblick?pk_vid=6cb10dea506da8611606925081f9e778

Bis 10. Jänner
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is to be a further announcement on entry requirements, the plan is ti bring in the new rules from mid December
snow report
@Android2000, @turms1, sorry yes you are correct, but holidays are not permitted until 10th Jan anyway, so it's rather a moot point.
snow report
Quote:

@Android2000, @turms1, sorry yes you are correct, but holidays are not permitted until 10th Jan anyway, so it's rather a moot point.

It's not moot if you plan to visit Austria for a week in February!
snow report
@Android2000, I expect there will be new rules before then! But as it stands it means entering Austria from a country which has a 14-day incidence of more than 100/100,000. Which is pretty much everywhere right now.
ski holidays
Entry requirements taken from Die Presse:

People entering from a risk area then have to go into quarantine for ten days . The regulation should apply by mid-December at the latest. If a person can show that an exit is imminent before the end of the quarantine, this should be possible more quickly, said Nehammer. A PCR test can also be carried out after five days. If the test result is negative, the quarantine can be ended prematurely.
ski holidays
Just had a email from the hotel, they aren't opening till January 8th, so Christmas is cancelled Sad

Quote:

As you surely know, Austria is currently in a similarly hard lockdown as in spring. At today's press conference we received the official announcement from the Federal Government that the hotel and catering industry may not be open until 7 January.
snow conditions
Android2000 wrote:
Quote:

It's not moot if you plan to visit Austria for a week in February!

It kinda is though, as the rules will almost certainly change again before February
latest report
Hence my question - is the extension of quarantine temporary or permanent?
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@primoz, the 14 day rate for Slovenia is currently above 950 (see https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/e6acbf22cc4f4b85949f59734244ba71 ), it will have to come down a long way before you can enter Austria without restrictions unless you are a daily commuter or similar. Currently the only largish countries below the 100 / 14 day rate are Finland (only just), Ireland and Iceland. The Vatican is zero but dont think the Pope is into skiing Very Happy

It might change in future, but as of now, we are still welcome in Austria without any restrictions. Beats me why and how, but it's so. Hope it remains this way, otherwise there will be lot of "scouting for locations for photo shooting" business trips in next few months Very Happy
PS: @clarky999 thanks for the link Smile
latest report
@Android2000, The way things seem to work, the quarantine is probably technically temporary, because those kind of rules have to have a time limit in law. But the reality is that it will be extended as many times as necessary, and that may as well be compared to the length of a piece of string Confused

On the plus side, at least I can get my hair done next week Very Happy
latest report
@Scarlet, yes my thoughts too. I was considering buying a couple of boxes of hair dye from Bipa and making a thorough mess of my bathroom. What a relief I won't have to!
latest report
Android2000 wrote:
Hence my question - is the extension of quarantine temporary or permanent?

Even the person who made the decision will not know that yet!
snow report
Announced this evening, the new quarantine rules will come into effect from 19 December until 10 January.
latest report
@robboj, The Austrian Government has a furlough scheme for those who run businesses in the Tourist sector including apartment owners. So as long as you're registered (which is mandatory in Salzburgland)and pay tax in Austria you're in line for 80% government support based on average takings in the period that you are not allowed to take guests. So far that was for the period of the Nov-Dec lockdown and I assume it will now be extended to 10 Jan 20 at least.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As per this evening announcement, quarantine for 10 days, reduced to five with a negative PCR, if the infection rate is over 100 per 100,000 in the country you're traveling from. Ski resorts lifts open from 24 December but hotels not allowed to reopen until 7 January.

So looks like only of you're traveling from Ireland or Iceland you can go skiing in January without a quarantine....
snow report
May I ask:

1. Are Sprachkultur programmes allowed under the new rules? Eg language exchange students

2. Do they still allow local families to host students?

Thank you in advance. Little Angel
snow conditions
Snowblades wrote:
May I ask:

1. Are Sprachkultur programmes allowed under the new rules? Eg language exchange students

2. Do they still allow local families to host students?

Thank you in advance. Little Angel

It would seem unlikely as the original rules, which I don’t believe have been relaxed, state only 2 households can mix. However that’s a guess
latest report
@Snowblades, you should check with the Austrian Embassy as your question is quite specific.
https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/
snow report
I have an appartment booked for austria from 9th to 23rd jan which is very unlikely to go ahead now but reading through the comments and various posts on social media from the ski areas, why has a quarantine been imposed when no accommodation is available anyway? Maybe I am not getting the full story but seems an odd thing to impose when all accommodation is closed anyway. Puzzled
ski holidays
@Blighty1066, the restrictions apply to everyone not just tourists, it’s aimed at ensuring that Austrians don’t head off to say Prague for a New Years eve celebration and bring COVID-19 back with them.
latest report
@radar, makes sense now Embarassed Thankyou for the clarity Very Happy
latest report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@robboj, The Austrian Government has a furlough scheme for those who run businesses in the Tourist sector including apartment owners. So as long as you're registered (which is mandatory in Salzburgland)and pay tax in Austria you're in line for 80% government support based on average takings in the period that you are not allowed to take guests. So far that was for the period of the Nov-Dec lockdown and I assume it will now be extended to 10 Jan 20 at least.

AIUI, govt support has now been reduced to 50% (not sure of the date of change), but that is not good news for all the shuttered businesses Sad
snow report
radar wrote:
@Blighty1066, the restrictions apply to everyone not just tourists, it’s aimed at ensuring that Austrians don’t head off to say Prague for a New Years eve celebration and bring COVID-19 back with them.

Fingers crossed they bin the quarantine requirement when it runs out then!
snow report
@Scarlet, That would be a shame. My accountant is still saying 80% for the November "Lockdown" so maybe it is only from now on that it has been reduced. We'll see.
snow conditions
thought I would do a summary on the current status, think I've got it all

Lifts open 24 December

Hotels / accommodation / restaurants open 7 January

Entry / re-entry requirements from 19 December to 10 January , if arriving from a country with a 14 day incident rate of more than 100 positive testes per 100,000, then you must isolate for 10 days you can opt to take a paid for test after 5 days should it be negative you are free to roam

All of Austrias neighbours are above the minimum infection rate, the UK is currently 348 (at 2 Dec), you can check the infection rate at https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Curfew is extended until 6 January applies between 8pm to 6am
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Yes, it will be a specified future date, but your accountant will know better than me!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy