Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.tt.com/artikel/17512706/als-gaebe-es-kein-virus-entsetzen-und-aerger-bei-tiroler-kirchenbesuchern
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amazing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So here's a question that sounds a bit like "can you check your crystal ball and tell me what you think" but:

- What are the chances of anything opening up on the 30th of November? (seeing that Arlberg and Ischgl have already pushed back their dates)
- Is the potential date of mid-December of any... certainty? (Again, this is really in the context of covid - well aware nobody can guarantee it)

In case anyone's wondering, I've been indoors and not on a mountain for way too long Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@blind_raven, I'd say nil, and slim
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@blind_raven, assuming you are in the UK non-essential travel is banned until 2nd December, so 30th Nov is not doable even if open (which nothing will be).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not, so I don't have to worry about UK policy Smile my question is targeted at the destination.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think if anything opens up for Christmas and New Year week then that will be a surprise to me
I think they will try
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@blind_raven, the news in the past few days has been fairly optimistic, not only the vaccine but also it appears as if the recent rate of increase in virus cases could be slowing down maybe even dropping (though currently not in Austria). Austria very much wants to get the ski resorts running, there is simply too much of the economy that revolves around them. However until there is a reasonably sustained decrease in the virus levels and the number of hospitalisations also decrease governments are in a difficult place. I would say there is a reasonable chance that some of the resorts will open in mid December (snow permitting Very Happy ) but the only way to find out is to wait. If you are really itching to ski then a number of the Swiss resorts are open and seem to be intending to stay open (see the Swiss thread). I know not really the same thing but given the mild weather you could get out on a bike?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just had notification from BA that they have cancelled our Heathrow to Salzburg flights for early December , looks like they won't be flying until 17 December.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blind_raven wrote:
So here's a question that sounds a bit like "can you check your crystal ball and tell me what you think" but:

- What are the chances of anything opening up on the 30th of November? (seeing that Arlberg and Ischgl have already pushed back their dates)
- Is the potential date of mid-December of any... certainty? (Again, this is really in the context of covid - well aware nobody can guarantee it)

In case anyone's wondering, I've been indoors and not on a mountain for way too long Smile

In the short term rumours are more in the direction of further restrictions, rather than lifting restrictions earlier than planned.

I do expect lifts will be spinning in time for the Christmas week though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I would say there is a reasonable chance that some of the resorts will open in mid December (snow permitting ) but the only way to find out is to wait. If you are really itching to ski then a number of the Swiss resorts are open and seem to be intending to stay open (see the Swiss thread).

My feeling is somewhat the same. I wish I could avoid Christmas ski - I've done it a lot in the past when it wasn't an issue, but what I realistically worry for is the crowds and the kids that will inevitably be everywhere. And I expect that most countries will go back in some lockdown mid-January if not sooner. So that leaves a very small window to "escape" that isn't something like March (at best!)

Quote:
I know not really the same thing but given the mild weather you could get out on a bike?

I've been doing longer rides in spite of the crappy weather. I look forward to see if all the running and biking has put me in a better shape for skiing this year and I can challenge myself a bit more.

Quote:

In the short term rumours are more in the direction of further restrictions, rather than lifting restrictions earlier than planned.

I see the measures are sort of working, but as you said, probably not fast enough for the 30th.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An FYI BA have cancelled all London to Salzburg flights until 17 December, looks like its going to be Munich and hire a car for us.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

An FYI BA have cancelled all London to Salzburg flights until 17 December, looks like its going to be Munich and hire a car for us.

Seems pretty clear that they know/expect the lockdown in Austria to be prolonged.

I might go down sooner and hike something, and when it opens actually go ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easyjet have just cancelled my flights to Innsbruck on 20th Jan! Feels a bit premature but if the airlines are proactively cancelling this far out it doesn't bode well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adamski28 wrote:
Easyjet have just cancelled my flights to Innsbruck on 20th Jan! Feels a bit premature but if the airlines are proactively cancelling this far out it doesn't bode well.

Oh dear, that's very bad news, so far out! 9th Jan for me but BA so hopefully we're still in some kind of post-Christmas lull where we can get away
snow report
I can understand why the 20th jan, as its midweek, and they will know at this stage how many seats were already booked on it. I suspect very few, so easier getting those less populated flights moved now, so that at least some will chose to go either side of them dates.
ski holidays
Quote:

I can understand why the 20th jan, as its midweek, and they will know at this stage how many seats were already booked on it. I suspect very few, so easier getting those less populated flights moved now, so that at least some will chose to go either side of them dates.

Is it that, or do they suspect that there'll be a lockdown as soon as winter holidays close?

Btw, is Cervinia still open? I know Italy has some sort of a lockdown at this moment, with Aosta as the most affected area.
snow conditions
@blind_raven,
https://www.cervinia.it/en/inverno/home

See the scrolling news item
snow conditions
@blind_raven, the airlines profile flights against demand, some very clever algorithms , this year there is the added complication of Covid, forward bookings have been low as everyone holds back from making bookings, which in turn means that the airlines aren't seeing demand and are cancelling.

With my own flights BA operates about four flights a day at peak to Salzburg from London, the moved all the Gatwick flights to Heathrow but maintained the schedule, when I got my cancelation through I had thought that they were consolidating the flights, but they haven't and cancelled everything through to 17 December for Salzburg, I believe that it's due to lack of forward bookings, they will have taken teh view that at this time of year they should have a certain level of load factor which they haven't got add that to the Covid restrictions in place at the moment meant that they cancelled the flights, the new schedule form the 17 December has three flights on Saturday and Sunday and just a daily flight during the week.

Its likely that midweek flights are more at risk and airlines will look at frequency of flights and especially from London which airports the operate form and consolidate those flights to one airport as BA have done with Gatwick.

Italy locked down and asked all teh ski resorts to suspend lift service, I believe until the end of November.

Yes I used to work in the travel industry
ski holidays
Easyjet have canceled everything to Salzburg out to 30 Jan 21.
latest report
Technically not true. You can still get on a EJ flight from Bristol to Salzburg in jan.
latest report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, It's probably London if you look at the capacity on the route for a Saturday you have airlines operating out of Luton (Easyjet), Stanstead (Jet2,Ryanair,Wow), Gatwick (Easyjet), Heathrow (BA), all except BA have or had one flight a day, BA has 4 as they moved the Gatwick flights to Heathrow. Currently the demand isn't there to put bums in seats.
snow conditions
@radar, @jafa, I stand corrected. All London Gatwick flights to Salzburg in January.
latest report
Ordino Arcalis?
snow conditions
@Bennyboy1, Andorra?
snow report
@radar, yes
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, Still not technically correct! LGW - SZG still available on 19th and 26th December and 2nd January - from Sleazy's website this morning. Where are you getting your info?
snow conditions
@radar, wrong forum!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, LOL, got me thinking on the entry requirements Very Happy Spain or France
ski holidays
@Gilby,yes there is a flight on 2 January probably aimed at getting people back who flew out in December , there are no Gatwick flights in January beyond the second until 1 February
latest report
@radar, Indeed there is a return SZG - LGW on 2nd at 16.30 for £208.99! Shocked (EZY8560) This is the return flight of EZY8559 which leaves LGW for SZG at 12.35 on 2nd for a reasonable £28.99 Very Happy Apart from that tecnicality there are, currently, no more EasyJet flights doing the LGW - SZG (or return) route 'till 1st February.
snow report
Looks like another hard lockdown for Austria will be announced tomorrow afternoon.
ski holidays
National Hard Lockdown almost the same as last Spring

From Tuesday 3 Week Lockdown ...until December 8th

Curfew restriction which are enforce now (20:00-06:00) will apply 24/7 Shocked Shocked !!

All Shops/Trades to close except essential (food/pharmacies etc)

Household mixing (currently 6) down to 1 person.

I think any plans folks have for travelling for Winter sports this year are now OFF.
ski holidays
Don’t think so - assume this is to reduce cases so the resorts can open
ski holidays
@Gilby, I have LGW to SLZ flights cancelled on 16, 23, 25 and 30 Jan so I wouldn't trust any of the Easy Jet flights in Jan even if they are still technically available for booking.
latest report
The Austrian government has shared its proposals for the next phase of the lockdown with the opposition parties and its in the press, this is a link to the newspaper article it's in German (use Chrome to translate ) https://www.diepresse.com/5897529/ausgangsbeschrankungen-auch-tagsuber-was-in-der-verordnung-steht . The plan is to have the restriction sin place until 6 December.

The official announcement is due this afternoon.
snow report
The situation in Austria seems a bit strange. Here in Germany the amount of new infections appear to have levelled off even if it is not dropping (have to see what happens over the next few days), though the level is higher in the areas bordering Austria than further north. Even so the level is a good deal less, the 7 day rate in Schwaz (which includes the Zillertal & Achensee area thus includes large areas of mountain with very low population) is over 1300, Innsbruck around 600. Munich and the surrounding areas are around 150 - 200. The approaches in both places have been similar as are the health systems and society generally. There must be a reason for such a stark difference but it is currently not apparent.
snow report
@munich_irish, interesting
The only difference is the altitude I guess? But even so say somewhere like Mayrhofen is 650m above sea level.
latest report
@munich_irish, I wondered this myself. I live not too far from Schwaz, and my own village and also all the surrounding ones also have very high incidence. The villages themselves are generally very sleepy places and the main, if not only, industry in them is farming – not something likely to be a great contributor to virus spread. It is possible that a lot of people from these areas work in the industrial areas in the Inntal, but I'm not sure how many and whether those factories and offices are the source of the spread – but if so, why so much in this area?

Austria has been much slower to react than Germany, I think, and the regulation fiddling they have done has not really been with areas likely to make a big difference. I think they may have tied themselves up with their own legislation, making it possible to introduce very hard restrictions only when the hospitals are under threat. It doesn't take a genius to realise that at that point, it might be a bit late.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@munich_irish, interesting
The only difference is the altitude I guess? But even so say somewhere like Mayrhofen is 650m above sea level.

Altitude? I don't think 600m is considered high enough to make any difference to anything.

Attitude, meanwhile...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy