Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, Probably from last year. It's not the first fake news I've seen regarding queues on the glaciers, I wouldn't worry too much.

@turms1, something I've been considering myself but, ye know, politics rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not surprisingly Germany has now designated the whole of Austria with the exception of Carinthia as "high risk" not sure it makes much difference in current circumstances. The whole of the UK is also now on the list.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone knows if this is the official Austria page ? https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information
I live in Holland and have a trip to Solden(by car) at November 26th, according to them I can go with no problem... at least for now:

"2.3 Individuals who enter Austria from one of the following states (list A - update valid from October 17th, 2020) and have their residence in Austria or one of the following states:

Belgium, Bulgaria (with exception of the regions Blagoevgrad, Burgas, Dobrich, Gabrovo, Jambol, Kardzhali, Montana, Plovdiv, Rasgrad, Shumen, Sliven, Smoljan, Sofia, Stara Zagora, Targovishte, Varna), Croatia (only the regions Brod-Posavina, Istrien, Koprivnica-Križevci, Osijek-Baranja, Šibenik-Knin, Varaždin, Zadar), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (except the Regions Île-de-France and Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur), Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania. Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal (except the Regions Lisbon und Norte), San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (only the Canary Islands), Czech Republic (except the Region Prague), Hungary, the Vatican, The United Kingdom, Cyprus; Australia, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Uruguay

do not have to present the medical certificate to the immigration officer and are not subject to a quarantine if they can prove that they were not present in any other state than Austria and the states listed above within the last TEN days."
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AndreSilva wrote:
Does anyone knows if this is the official Austria page ? https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information
I live in Holland and have a trip to Solden(by car) at November 26th, according to them I can go with no problem... at least for now:

Been covered a few times now, but no, as the big text in the upper left corner states, that's the Austrian Embassy in Washington site, with info for US citizens.

You want the main Austrian Tourism Board site: https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Probably from last year. It's not the first fake news I've seen regarding queues on the glaciers, I wouldn't worry too much.

@turms1, something I've been considering myself but, ye know, politics rolling eyes

I did wonder...Didn't find it myself but since it was posted on another ski site
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, There was a set of photos doing the rounds last week purporting to be a particular day at Stubai. It rattled loads of people before someone pointed out that the photo was taken in brilliant sunshine, and that day was a total claggfest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, you will want the austrian embassy in Holland website https://www.bmeia.gv.at/oeb-den-haag/

it has the entry reqts listed. I would suggest, with respect to @clarky999, the tourist info isn't updated as quickly as the embassy websites
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, There was a set of photos doing the rounds last week purporting to be a particular day at Stubai. It rattled loads of people before someone pointed out that the photo was taken in brilliant sunshine, and that day was a total claggfest.

that was also my thought...however i didnt search about it...with the restrictions from GER i am (at present) out of the game
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
There will be a minimum of 5 days quarantine from high risk regions, only then will a negative test be relevant. I am presuming the current exception for trips under 48 hours will continue ie no issue for commuters or shopping. I believe also transit will be allowed ie fly into Munich travel directly to Austria. That pretty much rules out early season ski trips for the majority of likely visitors

Wait if it is okay to land in Munich and drive to Austria why would it rule out early season ski trips? Except for Germans the rest should be ok?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
@AndreSilva, you will want the austrian embassy in Holland website https://www.bmeia.gv.at/oeb-den-haag/

it has the entry reqts listed. I would suggest, with respect to @clarky999, the tourist info isn't updated as quickly as the embassy websites

Thanks @holidayloverxx !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Yeah local embassy probably is the best option - especially here where the restrictions are more on the Dutch side than the Austrian!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
... especially here where the restrictions are more on the Dutch side than the Austrian!

Indeed Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Almost 2500 new Corona infections within Austria in the last 24 hours.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A large swathe of Austria has now been elevated to "Very High Risk" (red) status:

https://corona-ampel.gv.at/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:

and again today Shocked
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
DB wrote:

and again today Shocked

The UK has 21,000 cases a day at the moment, catch up
latest report
@Pastorius, pro rata to size of population its similar to the UK
snow report
Our region is still full of German tourists cramming in the ski shopping before returning home. It'll take a couple of weeks for the effects of all the travel to ease although most clusters here seem to be from large gatherings or within families.
ski holidays
Interesting development from the Austrian postal service, there is also a good chart showing the growth in the infection rate

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/23/austrias-postal-service-issues-corona-stamp-printed-on-toilet-paper?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
ski holidays
radar wrote:
Interesting development from the Austrian postal service, there is also a good chart showing the growth in the infection rate

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/23/austrias-postal-service-issues-corona-stamp-printed-on-toilet-paper?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The Austrian post are also getting involved in crypto and the whole crypto art/NFT art stuff: https://crypto.post.at I'm quite astonished how forward thinking they are being!
snow report
nearly 4,500 cases yesterday ... lockdown any time soon ?
snow report
@rayscoops, yes it looks like a 'Lockdown Light' similar to that in Germany for the month of November. But I can still go to work. Very Happy
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, Are you still attending at the office? Because if you are, that's nonsense if they start closing ski resorts.
latest report
Quote:

@queenie pretty please, Are you still attending at the office? Because if you are, that's nonsense if they start closing ski resorts.

@Scarlet, Why? Not all jobs can be done from home can they? The economy still needs to function. Skiing is a leisure activity surely, and imv (even though I love skiing) the lift systems should be shut down before business in order to avoid people travelling for non-essential journeys, ie winter sports, and therefore avoiding groups of people. I know in AUT the ski industry is a huge economy driver but if it attracts groups (which it surely does) than I don't see how it will be able to function (a) profitably anyway with much reduced numbers, and (b) safely (perhaps i'm missing something but I seriously can't see social distancing working at valley bottom gondola stations). If they open for say Christmas week and onwards great (if safe to do so) but in order to achieve any sort of possibility AUT needs to be going into a strict lockdown asap?
snow report
Would imagine they'll go for a lockdown for a short while to attempt to save the majority of the real season i.e. 2021 onwards
ski holidays
@Scarlet, yes I still go to work. With regular tests of course. Plus masks, social distancing, etc.
snow conditions
Not sure it is entirely relevant to a thread about Austria but it looks as if Germany is going to be removed from the list of "safe countries" as far as the UK is concerned.

Although short trips into Austria from Germany are still allowed they are being discouraged (though it is, at least in theory, perfectly possible to do say a day trip from Munich to Hintertux). Except for certain groups like cross boarder commuters, Austrian residents have to quarantine on arrival in Germany, so no shopping trips.
snow report
Press conference today announced that the new measures will be announced on the weekend - which most likely means the tourism boards/etc won't be updating their websites with the new rules until Monday morning (check the local language newspapers instead) rolling eyes

However it does seem highly likely that new measures similar to those in Germany will be introduced, and therefore *probably* more likely than not that 'sports facilities' (ie including ski lifts) in Austria will have to close for at least the next few weeks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
Why? Not all jobs can be done from home can they? The economy still needs to function. Skiing is a leisure activity surely, and imv (even though I love skiing) the lift systems should be shut down before business in order to avoid people travelling for non-essential journeys, ie winter sports, and therefore avoiding groups of people. I know in AUT the ski industry is a huge economy driver but if it attracts groups (which it surely does) than I don't see how it will be able to function (a) profitably anyway with much reduced numbers, and (b) safely (perhaps i'm missing something but I seriously can't see social distancing working at valley bottom gondola stations). If they open for say Christmas week and onwards great (if safe to do so) but in order to achieve any sort of possibility AUT needs to be going into a strict lockdown asap?

I happen to know what Queenie does for a living – I wouldn't have made that comment had I known she was, for example, a doctor. Encouraging people not to travel to offices if they can work from home seems like an obvious change to me before you start closing stuff. I'll be quite annoyed to lose sports facilities, and not just ski lifts (I can tour if that's allowed), but also access to the bouldering room when about 75% of the time there is only me in there rolling eyes

They keep announcing new measures without even waiting to see if they have any effect (the last lot was Sunday), and on this it seems like they are just doing what Germany does rolling eyes Unless they know they won't work because the one place they can't legislate against without some serious law making, is people's houses. My concern is that everything closes but it makes no difference, so it can't open up again.
ski holidays
I can work from home, but prefer not to, so I'll only do that if I have to. Had an unscheduled test due to contact tracing today. Fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Austria has put parts of the UK back onto the high risk list (as of 00.00 on 31st October) requiring that on arrival in Austria a negative PCR test must be presented, less than 72 hours old, or 10 day quarantine to be started, and covid test to be taken within 48 hours, and if negative, quarantine can end. The parts of the UK currently on the high risk list are North East, East Midlands, Yorkshire and Humber. https://www.oeamtc.at/thema/reiseplanung/coronavirus-reiseinfos-36904404#einreise-oesterreich-37426960

snow report

snow conditions
So what if you live in the UK and not in any of the high risk areas? You can go without a test or quarantine?
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, that would appear to be so. Surprising that they haven't included the North West (i.e Manchester/Liverpool, Lancs) or the West Midlands on their list as yet. Puzzled
latest report
Another negative test result. Phew! Impressed by the very efficient contact tracing and test process. 2 hours between notification and test, results 12 hours later.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, phew!
snow conditions
@queenie pretty please, If you're having one for the hospital like I did, they only tell you if it's positive, so you're waiting all day hoping the phone doesn't ring! Can't be more than 48hr though (supposed to be 24hr), as at that point you're in theatre.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
So what if you live in the UK and not in any of the high risk areas? You can go without a test or quarantine?

Yes, no need for test or quarantine if you weren't in those regions in the last 10 days. However expect new rules from Saturday...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 30-10-20 9:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Scarlet, this one was through work. The mother of a colleague tested positive. So we were all tested the same day, and the results came by email 12 hours later.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Yes, no need for tea

What?! All visitors must bring tea, it's part of the agreement Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy